Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Monthly

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭

Monitoring Monthly the UK magazine has gone bust. I got a letter from Kevin Nice of Nice One Publishing to say that the company had ceased trading and no more MM would be published. I renewed my sub in January for 3 years 168Sterling so I am going to have to ask the credit card company if there is anything they can do.

Sign of the times I suppose.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mentioned on the website also I see:
    http://www.monitoringmonthly.co.uk/

Just as well you paid by credit card, my understanding is you should be covered if the company goes bust. Don't know what would happen if you paid by cheque/cash/debit card etc..

Are these guys related in anyway to PW or SWM? That name Kevin Nice sounds familiar, was he editor of PW or SWM at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes, he was the last editor of SWM which used to be linked to PW. Something happened to make them separate about 4 years back and Kevin Nice started up MM because he wasnt allowed to use the SWM name. PW took over Radio Active which became Radio User. I have subs to PW and Radio User as well so I hope they are OK.

CC company asked me to send all relevant documentation to address in UK so I will have to wait and see the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RSGB sub is best value way to get their magasine "Radcom" which is the only decent UK wireless/listening/electronics mag left.

You don't have to have a licence or be in UK to join RSGB.

The only other related mag left of any use is maybe Elektor.

EPE and PW have been IMO pretty poor for years, very often recycling old articles. But then I started getting magazines in late 60s & early 70s (PE, PW, WW, Television and others...)

A combination of Information easily available on Internet, poorer content and less people interested has killed off most of the mags. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I get Radcom as well. It's just a sort of a habit getting these every month. I also get the WRTH and Passport every year but like the mags they are a bit useless compared with the Internet. I think the age profile of the readership especially PW is getting older just like amateur radio operators so I cant see the mags surviving in the longer term.

Advertisement