Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the 02

Options
  • 06-05-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

To see <snip> next week (don't ask), whats it like for traffic and parking down there, any advice or suggestions?
    Its on about 6:30pm so I was planning to get in earlyish to beat the evening rush hour traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

*cough cant mention gig*

Walking or the liffey ferry is the best way to get up to the upper docklands area, theres parking at NCI (i think) and in another place along north wall quay (just beside where Citi is, can't remember the street name) but walking would be quicker, its only 20min from O'Connell bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There are usually shuttlebuses from St Stephen's Green to the O2.

I was there a few weeks ago, but I can mention my gig :) TINA TURNER.

Parking is not the best, so walk , or get a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

If your getting a taxi ask them to drop you on the southside in ringsend, its a two minute walk across the bridge and will save you from the traffic. I work on the quays and everynight there is something on traffic is mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't realise I couldn't mention the war!
    Basicallywhat people are saying is don't bring the car anywhere near the 02 itself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There are warehouse carparks on sherrif st, beside o2 charging €10

Is Sherrif Street beside the 02...?

I've only been there once and that was years ago when it was called the other place(can't be too careful following the infraction I just picked up :confused: ).

I'll have my eleven year old daughter with me so I don't want too much of a walk, I was thinking about parking at XXXXX and walking down as far as the XXXXX at XXXXXX and getting a taxi down to the XXXX and maybe walking the rest of the way.

(edited in advance to avoid unnecessary infractions

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

I was there over the weekend, and i drove in and didn't pay :) i'm very bad for road names, so here goes... I drove up along the liffey, past the O2 entrance and took the next left turn at some traffic lights, and that whole road is parking, without paying. There was no signs and i checked to see if other cars had tickets, and they didn't and i did not get clamped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

aoife34 wrote: »
    I was there over the weekend, and i drove in and didn't pay :) i'm very bad for road names, so here goes... I drove up along the liffey, past the O2 entrance and took the next left turn at some traffic lights, and that whole road is parking, without paying. There was no signs and i checked to see if other cars had tickets, and they didn't and i did not get clamped :)
    You were parked on Upper Sherrif Street. I usually park there as there is no charge but I noticed parking spaces drawn out on part of it last night. Presumably DCC are going to introduce Pay & Display there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

Yeah i was pretty suprised there was an area in so close to the O2 that was not pay and display. Normally everywhere is. The traffic was very busy on teh way out going back towards the traffic lights, so i went against the traffic and came out just beside Connolly Station, some how:confused:

• Advertisement

aoife34 wrote: »
    Yeah i was pretty suprised there was an area in so close to the O2 that was not pay and display
    Part of the North Wall Quay is also free of charge (unless it has changed in recent weeks).

Is Sherrif Street beside the 02...?

Yes, Upper Sherrif St runs up behind it. The warehouses are situated around where the track is on the map here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.348259,-6.226898&spn=0.004048,0.01133&z=17
    I've only been there once and that was years ago when it was called the other place(can't be too careful following the infraction I just picked up :confused: ).

I'll have my eleven year old daughter with me so I don't want too much of a walk, I was thinking about parking at XXXXX and walking down as far as the XXXXX at XXXXXX and getting a taxi down to the XXXX and maybe walking the rest of the way.

(edited in advance to avoid unnecessary infractions

Heh, I think you are being a bit overly careful there :)

Your infraction was for discussing a particular event, you are allowed to name venues as long as they are not associated with the guys mentioned on the top of each forum here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977471

You were parked on Upper Sherrif Street. I usually park there as there is no charge but I noticed parking spaces drawn out on part of it last night. Presumably DCC are going to introduce Pay & Display there now?

It does look like that unfortunately :(

It also makes it easier for the clampers for the time being, I saw loads of cars clamped the other day, so be careful where you are parking.
    What annoys me is that there are a good few derelict gates around that area that look like they havent been opened in years. Surely it's ok to park in front of them?

Hopefully the Pay & display won't be introduced in my other major favourite free parking area in Dublin 1 ;). I don't know how it lasted for so long!! :)

You've jinxed it now! I bet DCC are reading this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

WindSock wrote: »
    You've jinxed it now! I bet DCC are reading this thread :pac:
    Hopfully. those who live in the area could surely do without the traffic hassle every evening there's a gig on

Hopfully. those who live in the area could surely do without the traffic hassle every evening there's a gig on
    I was referring to an area in Dublin 1 for parking in general - no connection with the O2 and in a different part of D1.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Just to let you know how I got on....

I got in there early and drove down the quays to get my bearings, just a couple of doors up from the 02 there was a couple of signs for event parking in a big yard, I went in there and paid €10 to park. I then went off to the IFSC and had a bite to eat and a walk round in the sunshine. After the event we strolled out leisurely to the car park (it was only a couple of hundred yards away), there was a bit of a scramble to get out of the car park (as there was nobody directing the traffic) so it took about 20 mins, but otherwise it was totally painless. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

The 151 bus has been re-routed and it goes pass the o2 I've gotten it couple of times when heading down to East Wall Road

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-timetable-Route-151/

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Hopefully the Pay & display won't be introduced in my other major favourite free parking area in Dublin 1 ;). I don't know how it lasted for so long!! :)

Would that be on *m*re** *a* :)

• Advertisement

And those who work in the area that have to travel from as far as Cavan could do without the hassle of finding somewhere to park for the day.

d1975 wrote: »
    The 151 bus has been re-routed and it goes pass the o2 I've gotten it couple of times when heading down to East Wall Road

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-timetable-Route-151/

Got that bus before myself. It's a good service, every 10/15/20 mins and costed about E1.15.

Would that be on *m*re** *a* :)
    No - it would be on *o*t*a*d *o*. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 query28

Any up-to-date info for parking near the Point? Any new car-parks or that around since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

No, But the Luas is now an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 query28

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    No, But the Luas is now an option.
    Not when I have a car. I have to park it somewhere. Any good spots to park where I can then hop on the luas close by?

Bearing in mind I dont know Dublin that well. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sheriff St, Wapping St, Castleforbes Rd (the roads on two sides of the venue) all generally have lots of parking on-street and free after 7pm, €1.60/hr before that. I worked there for 18 months and never a problem doing tha, just take any satnavs off the windscreen if you're the cautious type.

Don't give the carparks a tenner for three hours parking, you'd be mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Try this site, I posted a thread here a while ago mentioning it.

http://www.parkopedia.ie/parking/dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Made a map of the area in paint (cos' I've waaaaay too much time on my hands).

http://img.ie/54753.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement