Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan says Green voters need not transfer to Fianna Fáil

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Ah here.. Yet another example of the non functioning mess that our "government" has become. Minister Ryan wont come out and ask voters to transfer to his government partners. This crowd (FF/Greena F) have no credibility now. None whatsoever. The greens are clearly distancing themselves from whats going on by putting their hands over their ears and rolling in the dew and moss of the pure green agenda.

Irish Times - Ryan says Green voters need not transfer to Fianna Fáil

I see this as a blatant sign of an impending general election. Paddy Power has it at 8/13 for an election this year. Bring it on.

Is it time now to reduce the Dáil term? I'm thinking 3 or 4 years because now this government are hanging onto power that they know they have no real mandate for. In any other democratic country, the pressure would have resulted in an election by now. Is there nothing that would allow us to elect a new government soon? Cowan is talking about having a mandate to go to 2012. Is he nuts? That mandate is no longer worth the paper its written on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Too little, too late for me. Greens have long lost any credibility they ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Too little, too late for me. Greens have long lost any credibility they ever had

+1

The greens are now just trying to remain in power for as long as possible. If they are not asking people to transfer their vote, it either means they have no confidence in their government partners, or they know the people have no confidence in their government partners and are trying to distance themselves as much as possible. In any case, they have lost all credibility, and can't be seen to have any principles.

For the way FF have ran things over the past decade, they deserve to go. For the way the greens capitulated to FF, they deserve to go. A general election is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

bit of damp squid tbh

from your link

"said yesterday that his party’s supporters should “make their own mind up” on who to transfer to in the European and local elections as well as the two byelections."

He said we should make up our own minds. Jaysus, call the headline writers, see what they can make of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ryan should lean to keep his mouth shut, It will be the Fianna Fail votes that transfere to the greens now that the PD'S are gone.

But if the muppet knew anything more than trying top set out his stall he would realise this

Sorry tree huggers but on your bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

With all due respect - the Green party doesn't operate by diktat - it never has. They engaged with their membership on whether to go into government and put it to a vote !! No other party does that. So for the Greens to say that they will not be issuing a direction to their supporters as to where they should transfer is not really that big a deal. Also the number of votes involved would not make a huge difference - particularly because most Greens would ignore any such direction anyway !!

The bigger point is the damage that the Greens could do to themselves - FF voters would probably transfer to them as they are in government together. The Greens have more to lose than they have to gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Reducing the Dáil term means a more time focused agenda, i.e do what we have to do and leave, instead of focusing on long term issues. If anything I think it probably should be extended slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Yes the Government is a mess but there is nothing sensational in this statement. There is no vote pact between FF and the Greens and there never has been they are simply partners in a coalition administration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dan Boyle seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet today. Voting pact or not, its impossible to disregard the fact that coalition partners, if they had any faith, would encourage transfers if only to extend their own period in government. I think what one commentator yesterday said was true, in that if our government TDs were given the chance to return to opposition while keeping their own seats, at this stage they'd jump at the chance. I just see no credibility in their mandate to govern when the Greens won't even look for transfers to go to their fellow government party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

The greens have never asked their voters to give transfers to anyone, it's always been made clear that they don't enter pacts before elections, why should that change now.
    If they had came out asking for transfers to FF I guarantee there'd be a thread here calling them hypocrites for changing policy's just to try to cling on to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Time to put the soggy lettuce out with the rest of the stinking, filthy rubbish......

• Advertisement
Advertisement