Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sainsburys

• 07-05-2009 1:07am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://sainsburys.co.uk/offers

The Special Offers go up here every week.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Newborn nappies 1 pound.
    Loads of Johnson and Johnsons products for 1 pound too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Was in Sainsburys in Newry today, when you spend over £25 you get a voucher for 50% off in the coffee shop. Had a nice fry up for £2.20. Think it's only running until the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Was in Sainsburys in Newry today, when you spend over £25 you get a voucher for 50% off in the coffee shop. Had a nice fry up for £2.20. Think it's only running until the 18th.

We got one of these too but the shop was closing in 10 mins. :( Thanks for that link OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Sorry if this is off topic but where in the North is the nearest place for Both Sainsbury and Asda Close together.

Heading up Shortly to do shopping and these are the places i need to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Sorry if this is off topic but where in the North is the nearest place for Both Sainsbury and Asda Close together.

Whenever I go north, I use the ASDA at Westwood and the Sainsbury's at Lisburn. They seem to be the closest for me as I'm coming from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Asda has apparently got planning permission for Newry, so no doubt that'll bring it closer. I think they're building one of the Asda-Walmart supercenters that they have in a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Whenever I go north, I use the ASDA at Westwood and the Sainsbury's at Lisburn. They seem to be the closest for me as I'm coming from Dublin.

Same here, am up there couple times a month and very convenient they are both just a minute or 2 off main motorway. The Sprucefield Complex Lisburn is fab, Sainsburys, B&Q, M&S and Argos all there too, and none of the manic carry on of Newry, loads of parking etc! Even during xmas rush it was comfortable and worth driving the extra distance on from Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katro

Head to Sainsbury's in Newry and Asda in Kilkeel, about 15-20 mins away. I know the traffic and roadworks are manic at the best of times, but that'd be the closest for ya! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Are these places still significantly cheaper than Tesco, Lidl etc here in Dublin? Tesco have really dropped their prices lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Do Sainburys have some kind of "special offer" day ? Where there's certain special offers on certain days only ?

Has any a price guide for their booze please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Does anyone have a legal way to get a Nectar card from Sainsburys? They really should look at how people in the Republic can use the Nectar card and gain from the spends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

sainsburys in newry have a procedure in place for nectar card just ask at customer service desk

you have to use the card a couple of times before it becomes live/active

also anybody thinking of asda in kilkeel avoid not worth the trip go to westwood asda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Dexterm99 wrote: »

Newry and Kilkeel are much closer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

py2006 wrote: »
    Are these places still significantly cheaper than Tesco, Lidl etc here in Dublin? Tesco have really dropped their prices lately!

not really imo, i was recently in tesco up north and there was little that was cheaper than in the south.
    Sainsburys wouldn't be the cheapest anyway, asda is similar to tesco. They have slightly different ranges of food, quality in asda mightn't be as high though.
    If you find their special offers they'll be cheap and presumably alcohol (spirits) is cheaper, but i would doubt if it'd be worth your while to travel up simply for grocery shopping alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

MDTyKe wrote: »
    Asda has apparently got planning permission for Newry, so no doubt that'll bring it closer. I think they're building one of the Asda-Walmart supercenters that they have in a few places.
    They're also waiting on planning permission for Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They're also waiting on planning permission for Dundalk.

Why would they open in Dundalk if they had a store in Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why would they open in Dundalk if they had a store in Newry?

less traffic congestion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Aldito wrote: »
    Newry and Kilkeel are much closer...
    I haven't been to Westwood, but did make the trip to Kilkeel... and regretted it. It is in the style and size of a local costcutter here. Obviously the prices are the same as in other Asdas but the range is limited.

I usually take in Sainsburys in Sprucefield and Asda near the Falls road in Belfast, just on the way into the city, they are about 15 mins apart and both 2 mins from the motorway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Genghis wrote: »
    Asda near the Falls road in Belfast, just on the way into the city, they are about 15 mins apart and both 2 mins from the motorway
    How do you get to Asda on the Falls Road - what is the route coming from the A1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The nearest Asda from Sprucefield is in the westwood shopping centre, which is just off the Kings Hall Exit. I believe it is the first exit of the M1 when entering Belfast. Probably a 5 minute drive from the Lisburn Retail Park. (6.7 mls according to google Maps)

http://www.thewestwoodcentre.co.uk/

Even better is that straight behind the Westwood Shopping is a new Sainsburys, that is bigger (biggest in NI afaik) and better then the one in Lisburn. They have a complete clothing and homeware department, and of course all the groceries you might want or need. Was there on Saturday afternoon, and it was almost empty, and no southern customers have found it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Genghis wrote: »
    I haven't been to Westwood, but did make the trip to Kilkeel... and regretted it. It is in the style and size of a local costcutter here. Obviously the prices are the same as in other Asdas but the range is limited.

I usually take in Sainsburys in Sprucefield and Asda near the Falls road in Belfast, just on the way into the city, they are about 15 mins apart and both 2 mins from the motorway

Asda near the Falls Road is in the Westwood shopping centre so you have been there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lexy060204

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    not really imo, i was recently in tesco up north and there was little that was cheaper than in the south.
    Sainsburys wouldn't be the cheapest anyway, asda is similar to tesco. They have slightly different ranges of food, quality in asda mightn't be as high though.
    If you find their special offers they'll be cheap and presumably alcohol (spirits) is cheaper, but i would doubt if it'd be worth your while to travel up simply for grocery shopping alone.

Would have to disagree there. I've been shopping in Asda and Sainsburys up north for years now, and have always made a big saving on groceries compared to here, even back when the sterling rate was 0.67 to the euro. Nowadays with the sterling rate you'd simply be mad not to give it a try :) I also shop in M&S for some things (good quality meat etc) and they are also way cheaper (about 30%) than they are here.

I have a Tesco less than 10 minutes from me, whereas Asda Enniskillen is 90 minutes drive, but it is so worth the trip. We go up every 3 weeks or so and buy enough to do us a month (about 2 trolleys full). I do go into Tesco/Supervalue etc here regularly to check prices and buy the odd pint of milk :p but there's no mistaking that they are still a complete and utter rip off, even with the latest price cuts and so-called sterling price matches!!!

I don't rate Tesco or Lidl up north though, not much savings to be made there imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://sainsburys.co.uk/offers

The Special Offers go up here every week.

Do Sainsburys have an email newsletter for there special offers like Lidl/Aldi?
    I dont see a link to one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't think so but not sure.

They have a 1/2 price toy sale on at the moment.
    There is some lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

DubDani wrote: »
    The nearest Asda from Sprucefield is in the westwood shopping centre, which is just off the Kings Hall Exit. I believe it is the first exit of the M1 when entering Belfast. Probably a 5 minute drive from the Lisburn Retail Park. (6.7 mls according to google Maps)

http://www.thewestwoodcentre.co.uk/

Even better is that straight behind the Westwood Shopping is a new Sainsburys, that is bigger (biggest in NI afaik) and better then the one in Lisburn. They have a complete clothing and homeware department, and of course all the groceries you might want or need. Was there on Saturday afternoon, and it was almost empty, and no southern customers have found it yet.
    Could you give directions to the new Sainsburys? Do you go past Lidl behind the Westwood or is it before the entrance when your coming from the motorway? haven't been there for a while and never noticed they were building one there!
    Thanks,
    Eimear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

eimear1 wrote: »
    Could you give directions to the new Sainsburys? Do you go past Lidl behind the Westwood or is it before the entrance when your coming from the motorway? haven't been there for a while and never noticed they were building one there!
    Thanks,
    Eimear

It is about 150m past the Lidl (on the same side of the street) when coming from the M1. It's a new extension to the other older shopping centre (dont know the name), which they are currently renovating and rebuilding. You can't miss it, as it even has a Sainsbury Petrol Station facing the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Ald

Just thought I'd say that if people were travelling as far as Lisburn they might think of going on to the Falls Road, Belfast. It's an extra 10mins further. The Sainsbury's, ASDA and LIDL are all next to each other. I was particulary impressed by the new Sainbury's which has all the signs and posters in the store in Irish! They don't even do that down South.

So if you'd like to support Irish in a roundabout way go to the Falls Road!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Glenbhoy wrote: »

I'd have to agree, I can only speak for Dundalk since moving back from Dublin but the offers in Tesco are great for the last few months. I did a shop for my family-five adults-and for a full weeks food, washing powder and dish washer tablets it came to €90. I don't understand why people would head to Newry etc and spend their day in a traffic jam when there are bargains down south to be had. To give an illustration of the value if you look around the car parks in the shopping centres here there are a lot of Northern cars and when the new Lidl opened last week it was 50:50 with Southern and Northern cars.

The alcohol is cheaper in the North but by no means as much as it used to be, we had a 60th birthday party a few months ago and had to buy a lot of drink. We went across the border to get the bargains you hear so much about and ended up buying in Dundalk anyway because there wasn't any bargains to be had.

Advertisement