Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Realms collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bah, shut it. We've lost a great company. Sure, they had been taking ages with DNF, but they were one of the rare companies that gave a damn about the fans - the 3DR forums were fantastic, lots of interaction from the company with the fans, the source code releases of numerous games including Duke3D and Shadow Warrior..

They don't owe anyone anything, so it's ridiculous that people would slander them.
    ongarite wrote: »
    Everything you have posted above shows what was wrong with 3DRealms and George Broussard.
    Instead of spending the time to actually develop and manage a sucessful game, they spent more than a decade pandering to their egos and fanbase.

What have we seen over the last 12-13 years, a dozen screenshots and 2 trailers.

That about sums it up.

Theres a right way and a wrong way to produce Video Gaming. There are Engineering Principles with that very thing in mind. If they failed to adopt these principles, then yes: They are 'tards.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    So if I read that right, the whole DNF "development" cycle was a big con job? Wow.

edit: I just got to the "chair" incident. I'm shocked. And Cliffy B was involved in all this too? There has to be something criminal in all this, notwithstanding the violence and threats that is. That's astonishing. Throw the gits in jail.
    It all made sense to me but then you get to the chair incident and wonder if the article isnt an elaborate April Fool's joke. All the same, the rest makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Overheal wrote: »

It all made sense to me but then you get to the chair incident and wonder if the article isnt an elaborate April Fool's joke. All the same, the rest makes sense, and I wouldn't be surprised.

Like I already said, that article was written well over a year ago..

Like I already said, that article was written well over a year ago..
    Meh. All the same. I havent heard any better explanations for why a game would take so long to build. Either the article is true which I am ready to believe, or they were the biggest fan panderers in the industry, which I am also ready to believe. Both theories support the conclusion that we were never going to see this game, hence the ironic titling.

I think you just got your hopes up. Heck I gave up years ago waiting for TF2 (despite some sexy easter eggs in the Half Life Collectors Pack) until one day you find out the Open Beta is nearly run its course and its scheduled for launch in 6 weeks. Much less torment that way.

edit: maybe instead of going to the future to see if PCs finally "run better than macs" PC should ask if DNF ever came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

I predict Duke Nukem Forever will come out Q1 2010 and be GOTY

• Advertisement

I predict we'll sooner bring about Cold Fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Overheal wrote: »
    I predict we'll sooner bring about Cold Fusion.

FPS?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

It's beyond a joke that they allowed the game to languish in development hell for that long. And it's no surprises (or great lose) that they're bust.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a breakdown here of how this came about.

http://www.duke4.net/comment.php?comment.news.267

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its sad. 3DRealms and the Duke Nukem games were some of the most fun stuff around years ago :(

I hope someone else picks it up. I really want this game. There is no way it would not sell like crazy if it was released. People would buy it even if it got bad reviews just to see what the hell they were up to for the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YLHALVVM Check this out, more footage of the game. Looked great :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A chunk of demo footage has now leaked.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58562

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks great. According to that shacknews page, Apogee have a Duke announcement next week (not related to their mobile Duke games). Maybe they're taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

It actually looked quite well. Shame really, but obviously the upper management of 3D Realms wanted the best looking game in the world, rather then the best gameplay they could make.

lol that gameplay looked amazing to me :D

I think they wanted the best game ever including the graphics. I really really want this game :D

Not for the looks but it is Duke and they had the time to go further than anyone else with small touches so hopefully they did and we will see it from Apogee and it will be released.

I have no doubt that it will ultimately be a let down after 14 years of hype but I'd be willing to take the hit to play another good Duke Nukem game.

probably just wind up another bioshock - all flash, no sizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Realistically no matter what they planned to release(if anything) it would never live up to 12 years waiting. They could never win from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

thebman wrote: »

I hope someone else picks it up. I really want this game. There is no way it would not sell like crazy if it was released. People would buy it even if it got bad reviews just to see what the hell they were up to for the past decade.

My response to this - Daikatana.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My response to this - Daikatana.
    John Romero: failing to make people his bitches since the year 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wow, how ironic/weird is this? Read through the first 3 pages of this thread not twigging DNF stood for Duke Nukem Forever..

Kept reading it as Did Not Finish :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be honest, the gameplay looked fairly "meh" & if anything, the plastic-wrapped / bump-mapped modern graphics just made it look like another generic shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Spear wrote: »
    A chunk of demo footage has now leaked.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58562
    Looks epicly fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Take Two are now suing them over DNF.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23645

I hope Take Two win this. Not only will it increase the likelihood of Take Two getting the DN IP and not Apogee, but I think it's a valuable lesson for them too. You can't take 12million from somebody and release nothing after 12 years and get away it (I know some people would say been shut down is punishment enough, but not me ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TakeTwo are just hurting because noone buys their other games.
    Other than GTA, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

i forsee a DNF revelation at e3. more than likley with activision.

3d realms going bang and all that duke info made public it smells a kipper

I forgot 3D realms made this. And it also had an obscenely long development cycle, almost as long as DNF is currently taking.

That said, while I didnt think much of the combat or the God Mode, the Direction the Plot and the Visuals otherwise made it a cult classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(video_game)

And speaking of Dont Fear The Reaper: That game had some serious cowbells.

This seems like it could just be one hell of a viral marketing campaign!

The game will come out. With all this marketing someone is bound to take it over even if it isn't a marketing stunt.

• Advertisement

Take-Two's lawsuit against Duke Nukem Forever maker Apogee/3DRealms has finally seen the light of day, with some Xbox 360-port and offshore-money twists. May brought news that the long road of the 1997-announced Duke Nukem Forever might finally have finally run out, as development studio Apogee ceased making the game and publisher Take-Two filed a lawsuit against the studio.
    Aside from a flood of leaked visuals and the studio's statement defending itself, all had been publicly calm since then until today. Take-Two's May 11 lawsuit against 3D Realms parent company Apogee has finally been unearthed. Credit to Shacknews for first publishing it.
    The lawsuit centers on, of all things, an Xbox 360 version of this forever-in-the-making PC game.
    Take Two claims that it notified Apogee earlier this year that the copy wanted to "exercise its option to develop a Console Version of [Duke Nukem Forever] for the Xbox 360. The publisher states that it sought to fund Apogee's work on a 360 port but that discussions for that fell apart this year due to a disagreement in funding before the project could be begin. The publisher claims that, as a result, it intended to exercise what it says was its contractual right to make a 360 version of the game with another developer and that Apogee would be obligated to provide source code for said port. The lawsuit includes no indication that such a plan was set in motion, as the publisher claims that Apogee instead shut down development without warning Take Two that such an action was pending.
    "Notwithstanding Apogee's consistent assurances that it would soon complete development of DNF," the suit states, "on May 6, 2009, Apogee closed its studios, terminated development of DNF and laid-off all employees who had been involved in the DNF project. Upon information and belief, Apogee has title to a substantial amount of funds deposited in an off-shore account, which Take-Two believes Apogee can use to fund its outstanding obligations."
    Take-Two is seeking damages for Apogee's alleged breach of contract for the amount of $2.9 million it claims to have provided Apogee to develop the game since 2000, plus interest. The total claim is $12 million.
    Take-Two is also seeking a court order to enjoin any former members of the Duke Nukem team from leaking any more art or code for the game, actions which the publisher claims "severely impairs Take-Two's exclusive rights to publish, exploit and control the DNF brand."
    Kotaku has reached out to Apogee for comment but has not heard back by press time.
    Click to read the full complaint from Take-Two.
    A May 12 request for judicial injunction estimates that this case will go to trial within nine to 12 months of that date.
    http://kotaku.com/5291654/duke-nukem-forever-lawsuit-unearthed-360-version-a-sticking-point

Advertisement