Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local election options/or lack of.

Options
  • 07-05-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Isn't it depressing to see the same old faces on their posters, smiling down on us with their cheesey smiles from their perches high up on the poles. Why in the name of God can we not entice some young energetic bright people to run for local office instead of these aging gob****es? The last time I saw some of the local representatives was on their last posters.

90% of them should piss off and do something else.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I dunno, there's a couple of new faces as far as I can see.

I don't know whether you heard 'Ming the Merciless' on radio yesterday about same sort of 'gripe' he had a few years ago.

Basically, what he did was (like you) he was unhappy with the options ... so he put himself forward. He's now a pretty well respected councillor.

If you're not happy with what you see, do something about it, and put your name forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Fair enough Culchie. I suppose you're right. I doubt if I would get elected though. I would love to be involved but I think a stressed out overworked impatient 49 year old is the last thing the electorate and indeed myself need at the moment. I would love to get in there though and shake things up a bit though but that was the point I was making.....that there should be younger,fresher people both locally and nationally with some new radical approaches and ideas.

A lot of these existing parish pump outdated Ballymagash clowns in my opinion have always been there solely for their own good and have only been taking up space in the chambers for years now. All they seem to do is to spend their time in their different political camps arguing for the sake of it. I'm sure you've heard some of their cringing Ocean FM performances.

One last thing.. Have you ever wondered as to why do most of them go to all that trouble and expence to get themselves elected to a job that just pays expenses?? What exactly is in it for them? Do we know? I have my own suspicions.

Don't get me wrong. I do think there are a minority of good people in there too genuinely trying to do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Jabby wrote: »
    Fair enough Culchie. I suppose you're right. I doubt if I would get elected. I would love to be involved but I think a stressed out overworked impatient 49 year old is the last thing the electorate and indeed myself need at the moment. I would love to get in there though and shake things up a bit though but that was the point I was making.....that there should be younger,fresher people both locally and nationally with some new radical approaches and ideas. A lot of these existing parish pump outdated Ballymagash clowns in my opinion have always been there solely for their own good and have been taking up space in the chambers for years now. All they seem to do is to spend their time in their different political camps arguing for the sake of it. There has to be a reason why most of them go to so much trouble and expence to get themselves elected. What exactly is in it for them? Do we know? I have my own suspicions..

Jabby, no offence, but in another 35 years or so, you'll be 6ft under.

If you have an urge to be a a councillor and help improve things around Sligo, then fair play to you, you're half way to getting elected. Don't be regretting in advance, go for it!

Culchie wrote: »
    Jabby, no offence, but in another 35 years or so, you'll be 6ft under.

If you have an urge to be a a councillor and help improve things around Sligo, then fair play to you, you're half way to getting elected. Don't be regretting in advance, go for it!

Thanks for that VOTE of confidence C.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Did anyone notice Jude Devins and Mc goldricks posters? You nearly have to squint to see fina fail written on them, from a glance driving by you would think they were independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

strongr wrote: »
    Did anyone notice Jude Devins and Mc goldricks posters? You nearly have to squint to see fina fail written on them, from a glance driving by you would think they were independent.
    I know a few lads in my area who are not bothered by the size of the Final Nail sign on the posters. They aren't political but they tell me it doesn't matter as they all burn the same on the bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Reading the Champion a few weeks back, I noticed many of the FF councillors had neglected any mention of their party in their ads. If they're ashamed to put a FF logo in their ads, how do they expect we should vote for them when they're still members (but too ashamed to say).

In fairness there's plenty of young councillors, it's just that they started off so young (mayor at 22 anyone?) that they've already been around an eternity. And besides, youth is wasted on the young. I've not heard anything radical or fresh from these younger councillors. Just the same rehashed, politico speak babble. At least some of the older guys have a personality and a sense of humour. Devins the younger and his ilk are condesending, arrogant and pretty ineffectual by everything I've read and heard from them.

Youth is no indicator of character. I'd rather a decent octogenarian than a self serving 30 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I know a few lads in my area who are not bothered by the size of the Final Nail sign on the posters. They aren't political but they tell me it doesn't matter as they all burn the same on the bonfire.

Bonfire? what a waste of a good sign. You can use them for all kind of things. Repairing holes in fences, fix broken windows temporarly etc.! So tell them to stop that waste!!!

Bonfire? what a waste of a good sign. You can use them for all kind of things. Repairing holes in fences, fix broken windows temporarly etc.! So tell them to stop that waste!!!
    They'd need painting over if they were going to be used for anything other than to building a fire.

I think the lack of choice is also a bad thing. There are too many candidates that you may disagree with but the abundance of seats gives them a good chance of either getting in or retaining their seat. I'd love to see more independents running in Sligo. I think independents are often better than those in mainstream parties, if only because they have no party line to tow and are often more accountable than those in mainstream parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

We were ATTACKED by a Chris McManus sign today :eek: I had two kids walking in front of me and this big sign came flying out of nowhere towards us, so I shouted to the kids to cover their eyes (not because of the scary man - the sharp edges, as it was flying horizontally :D) finally grabbed it, and fecked it into the bushes of Dunnes car park. Dusted my hands off and carried on. (It felt strangely satisfying..)

That's my vote lost Sinn Fein. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

strongr wrote: »

Last time out many of the candidates who went for the traditional FF poster eg Padraig Branley were dumped. It must be even riskier to show the party logo this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

if you go for election- if you want to change things your a radical if you dont your just init for yourself if your young your inexperienced if your old your too old and if your part of a party your a puppet if your independant you ve no right power behind ya and with all the other partys out to get ya youll have no say theres martin ford and the bull mc sharry john sullivan the christian democrats you even had at one stage the natural law party!! if the people was hungry for change theyd have voted for some or all of themperhaps the people should take a look at themselves they get the same old thing because they want the same old thing after all imagine if someone actualy got in and made some real changes?? real changes nobody would have a clue what was going on and couldnt give out about it!! theyd have no yard stick to compare who here would take on the real powerful forces knowing the public would nt care or would be to frightened or caught up in their own lives to have a minute so they hang you out to dry with a half true yearn spun to the mediawould the people that you depend on for support you after it?? we all know the answers to the problems in this country deep down in our heart of hearts we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

You should check this out.

Aparrantly, re-opening O'Connell Street, lowering businesss rates, objecting to the Eastern Bridge location and lowering parking fees is going to secure jobs in Sligo. Fancy how no one else ever thought of this magnificent Idea if its so good

Does this sound like a candidate with a well thought out agenda, who would be worth your vote?

............. Yeah, I thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Is it just me that the link doesn't work for. It comes up saying Error, Not found or something like that.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Is it just me that the link doesn't work for. It comes up saying Error, Not found or something like that.

Fixed the linky there. Sowee about that

Oh i actually know his family:o

The webiste doesn't seem to appealing so don't think he will be getting my vote.

*I dont base my votes on how well their websites look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I know him too, don't see what would be so bad voting for him. He's lived in Sligo / Garavogue / Cranmore all his life IIRC. I don't believe he's from an exceptionally wealthy family (don't think his parents are politicians - no nepotism), volunteers in his community etc. He doesn't seem to have too much experience but a fresh face might be just what Sligo needs.

I know him too, don't see what would be so bad voting for him. He's lived in Sligo / Garavogue / Cranmore all his life IIRC. I don't believe he's from an exceptionally wealthy family (don't think his parents are politicians - no nepotism), volunteers in his community etc. He doesn't seem to have too much experience but a fresh face might be just what Sligo needs.

I'm certainly not enstilled with confidence over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Jabby wrote: »

One last thing.. Have you ever wondered as to why do most of them go to all that trouble and expence to get themselves elected to a job that just pays expenses?? What exactly is in it for them? Do we know? I have my own suspicions.

Don't get me wrong. I do think there are a minority of good people in there too genuinely trying to do their best.

Councillors get paid over 17k a year now (since 2002) plus expenses . It's easy money for doing little. This Blog has the right idea

Earning 17k a year isn't the greatest salary,they wont be millionaires anytime soon if they stay on that wage.
    I think it's experience that people want though,it could be a total waste of time voting someone in who has never done this before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Earning 17k a year isn't the greatest salary,they wont be millionaires anytime soon if they stay on that wage.
    I think it's experience that people want though,it could be a total waste of time voting someone in who has never done this before.

Being a councillor is a springboard to appointment to other bodies eg the Border Midland and western Assembly (no, I don't know what they do either!).

I think it's experience that people want though,it could be a total waste of time voting someone in who has never done this before
    Are you saying no-one new should be elected? surely not.

Are you trying to tell me that they go to all this trouble and expense and hassle for 17K plus expenses....Wake up and smell the coffee will you. None of you have mentioned this possibility. I suspect there are still a lot of, shall we say, 'perks' here and there available to many of them.

It just doesn't go away you know!

I was only quoting someone else with the 17k salary and just stating that it wasn't a great salary.
    ''Perks'' are hardly going to pay a mortgage or loans,might be a subsidized trip away for some reason.

And in fairness it's not like they go to a lot of trouble do they? Well it doesn't seem they do anyways.

Are you saying no-one new should be elected? surely not.

No not necessarily,it's handy if they have some notable experience though or are known in some other way other than politics. I know the candidate Danial Mc Garriagle I think it is was the president of the student union I think in the I.T here in Sligo so he has some experience other than politics and has been getting things done and organised.

I was only quoting someone else with the 17k salary and just stating that it wasn't a great salary.
    ''Perks'' are hardly going to pay a mortgage or loans,might be a subsidized trip away for some reason.

And in fairness it's not like they go to a lot of trouble do they? Well it doesn't seem they do anyways.

Depends what exactly the 'perks' are though doesn't it?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Im fairly sure most of them have jobs and being in the council is just a bit on the side.

In fairness though, he can't even spell the name of the party he's running for. erm... Spell check anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

PROPRTIONAL REPRESENTATION

Remember - when voting - that in Ireland, most constituencies are multi seat, eg, 3, 4 or 5 seat. Proportional representation means you get a choice - you indicate your first choice by placing 1 opposite your first choice candidate, 2 opposite second and so on. This means you are transfering your vote to your second choice candidate if your first choice candidate is either elected and has a surplus number of votes over the quota (number of votes needed to be elected) or is eliminated.

It is important to use your votes so as you have a say in as many rounds of voting as possible. If you are not sure about some of the candidates or you don't want to see someone elected, start at the bottom. Give the candidate you least like your bottom vote and work your way up the ballot paper.

Some parties will ask you to give your number one to their candidate and your number 2 to a member of a party they may be thinking of going into coalition with. If you feel you would like to see 2 or three particular parties in coalition, then there is more chance of this happening if voters use their vote like this.

Basically number the candidates in order of preference choosing as many as possible, and make sure that Fianna Fail are way down the end of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

PROPRTIONAL REPRESENTATION

Remember - when voting - that in Ireland, most constituencies are multi seat, eg, 3, 4 or 5 seat. Proportional representation means you get a choice - you indicate your first choice by placing 1 opposite your first choice candidate, 2 opposite second and so on. This means you are transfering your vote to your second choice candidate if your first choice candidate is either elected and has a surplus number of votes over the quota (number of votes needed to be elected) or is eliminated.

It is important to use your votes so as you have a say in as many rounds of voting as possible. If you are not sure about some of the candidates or you don't want to see someone elected, start at the bottom. Give the candidate you least like your bottom vote and work your way up the ballot paper.

Some parties will ask you to give your number one to their candidate and your number 2 to a member of a party they may be thinking of going into coalition with. If you feel you would like to see 2 or three particular parties in coalition, then there is more chance of this happening if voters use their vote like this.

Basically number the candidates in order of preference choosing as many as possible, and make sure that Fianna Fail are way down the end of the list.

If you don't want someone to be elected don't give them any vote at all - leave them off altogether. You don't need to choose as many as possible - that's stupid - otherwise there is a channce your top preferences won't get in and your vote will transfer to the person you "don't like".
    No wonder we have such a bad government if this is how people think they should vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement