Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premuim per foods - Husse ??

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I have two dogs ( 1 & 1.5 yr old mongrels) & two cats and like to feed them all decent food.
    I was told about Husse, which is supposed to be very high protein, which is better for the dogs & less waste from the dogs !
    Just wondered if anyone had used this and their thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

You have to be careful with adult dogs that the protein is not too high. Also the better quality feed have less fillers put in them so that entails less waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

We've used Husse for both our Papillon and Rottweiler without problems. Found it much better than Redmills but then we moved both of the dogs to raw because thats the best for them! Raw would also have a high protein content but its the types of protein that you need to concern yourself with on bags of food.

Google crude protein/protein to understand about the levels. Or give Husse a ring and ask them about it - their customer service is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We've 3 cats all on Husse.
    Its great quality food, both wet & dry.

Better than any supermarket sold brand or heavens forbid, Science Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭reality

Beth wrote: »
    we moved both of the dogs to raw because thats the best for them!

Raw?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

reality wrote: »
    Raw?
    Yes, raw meat and bones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Hi,

If you log onto the husse website you can arrange for a free sample & the rep will call to your house with samples for each pet & information sheets regarding the food. We had a rep out to us last year she was lovely gave us 3 sample bags..... dogs hated it tho! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

I feed our three dogs Arden Grange and they're all doing great on it. It does contain corn which can irritate some dogs but mine are ok with it, all their meat is traceable too!

Just had a quick look at the ingredients list of the Husse dog food there, its not the worst I've seen (not even close!:eek:) but I wouldnt be mad about the high wheat content.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I wouldn't be going for a high protein content OP....most dogs aren't physically mature til 2 years of age- with some breeds taking 3 years. High protein will cause them to grow at a more rapid rate than they should, which can result in problems.
    Also, the higher the protein- the higher the energy level, so you'd have to increase their exercise to avoid weight issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I wouldn't be going for a high protein content OP....most dogs aren't physically mature til 2 years of age- with some breeds taking 3 years. High protein will cause them to grow at a more rapid rate than they should, which can result in problems.
    Also, the higher the protein- the higher the energy level, so you'd have to increase their exercise to avoid weight issues.
    good advice there. i use burns for my two which is not high in protein but uses good quality ingrediants and they thrive on it
    i normally add some chicken to top up the protein
    their coats r lovely and they r never ill id highly reccomend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

+1 for customer service. They are really on the ball and very generous with samples. Unfortunatly my two cats loved the sample but after I ordered the 5 +2 Kg(gratuity) bag they turned their nose up at it.

May have been the way I was storing it as I can't imagine there would be a difference but I have no problems with the large bags of Hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmanning

I know what you're thinking! Too much protein! Kidney damage! Well, guess what? The very early research that pointed a finger at protein as being a cause of kidney failure in dogs wasn't even done on dogs! It was done on rats fed unnatural diets for a rodent... diets high in protein. (Were we tinkering with Nature during these “tests”?) Rats have difficulty excreting excess protein in their diets because they are essentially plant eaters, not meat eaters. Dogs are quite able to tolerate diets with protein levels higher than 30% on a dry weight basis. Dogs are meat eaters; that's how Nature made them! Rats are not. So some of the early research on rats was assumed to be true for dogs... and the myth of "too much protein in a dog's diet causes kidney damage" was started. And just like any seemingly valid rumor or assertion, it derived a life of its own and is only recently being accepted as untrue.
    Every single day in practice I see dogs that are not thriving because Nature's rules are not being followed. Overweight dogs, dogs with itchy, flaky skin, dogs with coarse and brittle coats, dogs with poor energy levels and resistance to infection. . . 95% of the time these dogs will be consuming diets low in animal origin tissues and high in grain-based products.

dogs are classified as omnivores. They can survive on a diet of either plant or animal origin if it is balanced and diverse. But to thrive and not merely survive, dogs should have a source of animal protein - MEAT - in their diets. There is a huge difference between survive and thrive! Nature made the rules of biochemistry and nutrition and we mortals have no power (and no business, for that matter) to try to bend those rules. For that reason there are truly no adequate vegetarian diets for cats. For that reason dogs thrive on diets based on meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have a Labrador and a Basset houd - I have tried several dry foods and found the Husse the best so far. Arden Grange/Red Mills/Eukaneuba and several others were tried but the Husse suits both dogs well - the Lab doesn't put weight on as easily and the Basset doesn't get an upset stomach as easily. Bonus.

I'd recommend it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Still waiting on a free cat food sample, hope she likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trostan

og's energy only d

Afraid that's not the best advice.

Quantity of protein is subservient to quality. Dogs assimilate some proteins better than others - in rank egg is the best but difficult to feed then chicken, lamb and fish - lastly beef and vegetable or grain.

Energy derives primarily from fats not from protein. Excess protein is generally excreted and only in inactive dogs will it lead to serious weight gain. Protein or carbs each only contribute less than 25% of energy.

meat proteins up to 26 to 28% are fine for most breeds, but again choose the protein source for quality first, not the protein quantity,
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

We've 3 cats all on Husse.
    Its great quality food, both wet & dry.

Better than any supermarket sold brand or heavens forbid, Science Hill.[/quote]

why the problem??

we gave hills science plan to our boxer for the first 6 months and he's flying....

and bakers complete is made by purina..... i.e. supermarket brand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

dont like hills either:(
    i have fed bakers in the past but its full of additives......all those colours in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trostan

[

Just had a quick look at the ingredients list of the Husse dog food there, its not the worst I've seen (not even close!:eek:) but I wouldnt be mad about the high wheat content.[/quote]

Wheat is a very good source of carbs, provided it is compressed thoroughly and heated correctly during the manufacturing process, so the starch bursts properly to make it easily digestible..
    This technique is only available in high quality extrusion processes, generally used by the Premium manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think every dog is different tbh. I know plenty of people recommend James Wellbeloved but my dog isn't too impressed with it.

I'm switching her to Orijen to see how she likes it now.

The best thing to do is try a few different types and see which your dog likes best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm switching her to Orijen to see how she likes it now.

Hey Lemlin,

I've switched all mine to Orijen and they are thriving on it! I was feeding them Burns since i got each of them and then recently my 9 year old terrier x started loosing weight to the point that she looked neglected even though she was eating very well. After a bunch of blood tests which found nothing, I saw reviews for Orijen and tried it. She is looking so healthy and so are my other 2 and they love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Too much protien can cause kidney trouble and rapid growth rate .Also skin conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Morganna wrote: »
    Too much protien can cause kidney trouble and rapid growth rate .Also skin conditions.

I'm well aware of that but I want to give it a go and see. If there are any problems, I can always change.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

we've tried most foods out there and find Origen to be fantastic. i dunno is there anything better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Trostan wrote: »
    Wheat is a very good source of carbs, provided it is compressed thoroughly and heated correctly during the manufacturing process, so the starch bursts properly to make it easily digestible..
    This technique is only available in high quality extrusion processes, generally used by the Premium manufacturers.

Do you work for Husse Trostan?

I don't get your point on "high quality" extrusion tbh. :confused:
    Extrusion is extrusion its not high or low quality, its the less preferrable than baked but a much cheaper method of production.

IMO a "carb" should not the the first ingredient a good source of protien should, thats why I wouldn't feed Husse. Just MHO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Par71

Skillie wrote: »
    we've tried most foods out there and find Origen to be fantastic. i dunno is there anything better tbh.

We had our German Shepherd pup on Orijen, we found it way too rich for him. His stools were always runny while on it. We have since changed him to Husse and it has greatly improved him always full of energy and nice coat too. As already mentioned every dog is different, whats good for one wont always be good for another. Trick is finding the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I got samples of Husse to try on my lot, it gave some of them dodgy belly syndrome so I didn't stick with it.

With regards to high protein causing kidney problems in dogs - this is untrue and there seems to be an awful lot of false info out there about this. It is not recommended for dogs/cats with existing kidney problems but it certainly won't cause them. As with all foods, skin issues can arise but this all depends on the dog. With dog food, it all has to do with trial and error. What suits one dog may not suit another. In my experience, Orijen is the best food I have come across with Acana a close second - the dogs thrive on it and they love it (so no problems getting it into them). I have tried many different foods with my dogs over the years and Orijen is brilliant stuff. They are open about what they put into their food (human grade meats etc.) and supply a very good product. I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Hi, I too have been researching food for my two year old Bichon/Jack Russel with a sensitive tummy and found a petfood analysis website which recommends Orijen, along with other foods, interrestingly enough all of which seem to be Scandanavian in origin. Problem is, where do I find a supplier?, I live in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Agreed, I have my 12 yr old Shepherd and 8 yr old Doberman on low protein food (18%) as they don't need as much excercise at their age, (they enjoy a slower pace) however I feed my 8 month Rotterwieller pup 29% protein with 13% fat, she's thriving on it. With all dogfeed check the protein and fat content and make sure the dogs excercise is relative to the protein they consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

fourcats wrote: »
    Hi, I too have been researching food for my two year old Bichon/Jack Russel with a sensitive tummy and found a petfood analysis website which recommends Orijen, along with other foods, interrestingly enough all of which seem to be Scandanavian in origin. Problem is, where do I find a supplier?, I live in Wicklow.

www.zooplus.ie or www.zooplus.co.uk supply Orijen and deliver straight to your door. I had my lady with a dodgy belly (she is prone to bouts of colitis) on Orijen for a while (had to take her off of it due an unrelated problem) and she did brilliantly on it. We had her on the 6 fish version and it really agreed with her which is is quite rare - she usually has a reaction to most foods. Definately recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I recently switched from Arden Grange to Robbies and the difference in my two girls is remarkable! They have always been fed premium food (AG, Burns or James Wellbeloved) and Robbies tops them all. Their poos are tiny, their coats are incredibly sleek and shiny, and they both have bags more energy. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/robbie_dog_food_ingredients.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Thank you so much, will get on to zooplus as soon as.

Advertisement