Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Advice for OAP

Options
  • 07-05-2009 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine is going to Perth for three weeks around October/November.
    He would be rather overweight and not in great health.

Could anyone recommend a good airline? It's really comfort, space and reliability we're looking for - without paying Business Class prices if possible.

Any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

there really is no such thing as comfort economy, but Eithad claimed to have the largest economy seats (AFAIK) by a cm or two over quantas

now since then the A380 has been launched as if I remember correctly you can buy premium economy, for extra $$ than economy and is slightly larger seats

I remember reading this, but i don't have a source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

If someones health isnt good you're probably best checking with the airline that everythings going to be okay?

Highly recommend going via an A380 if you can. Singapore Airlines, Qantas and Emirates currently use them but Im not sure on what routes apart from London-Singapore. I doubt they fly into Perth yet. Any airliner will be much the same in terrms of seat size and legroom give or take a few inches. As regards service aSingapore airlines are fantastic and if you can book two seats upstairs in the rear economy section you'll get to sit on a row with two seats together instead of the usual three seats which might be a better option for him.

Both these sites offer seat information and reviews:

http://www.airlinequality.com/
    http://www.seatguru.com

Is the persons health of a concern? I mean at checkin would they possibly refuse travel without a medical cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

As Pclancy said you are better off ringing the airline and finding out from them what the story is, espescially if your mate is not in the best of health.

My uncle has 2 grown up kids in canada but he cant fly over to them because he said the flight would have a great chance of killing him.
    Fair enough, my uncle has diabetes and went through a quadruple bypass about 10 years ago when he was living in Canada. He was supposed to get another bypass a while back but he got stents instead. His legs are very sore if he walks more than 100 foot. Something to do with taking a vein outta his leg to bypass the heart or not the heart but whatever they do. He is a fairly big fella, not heavy wise more muscely from years of working on building site. Im sure your mate isnt as bad as me uncle but a phone call is pretty harmless compared to going on the plane un prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

His GP says he's fit to fly, and he's booked on Eithad (sp?). €730 return - nice!

Many thanks for the help. :)

Advertisement