Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ugly man is Maddie suspect

• 07-05-2009 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Turns out Tubridy has her

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090507/tuk-ugly-man-is-new-madeleine-suspect-6323e80.html
    The new artist's impression shows a "very ugly" man who appeared to be watching the apartment where the little girl was staying with her family on the day before she vanished.

It is based on the account of a British woman who was on holiday in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz when Madeleine went missing on May 3 2007.

She saw the man, who had pitted skin and a large nose, twice in the days before the little girl disappeared.

On April 29 the unnamed tourist was out with her daughter when she spotted him "acting suspiciously" in the street. Then three days later she saw the man again outside the McCanns' holiday flat.

She told police he was about 5ft 10ins tall, slim and was wearing casual clothes, probably jeans.

Another two witnesses - a 12-year-old schoolgirl and a man from Cheshire - also reported seeing a man watching the McCanns' apartment in the days before Madeleine vanished.

They have not yet been able to confirm whether the person they saw was the same one shown in the new artist's impression.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

after a year you'd think the chicken-pox could clear up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Meh, i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Pete P Peterson

"Picture of Ugly Man took two full years to draw!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

"Picture of Ugly Man took two full years to draw!"
    No. The McCanns had to systematically go through every person they ever met, then design a totally new person. That takes time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's a butterfly, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Why don't they just piss off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Surely it would have made more sense to release this image 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gary223

I'm a ugly man, I could be a suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I really hope she gets found alive and well.

gary223 wrote: »
    I'm a ugly man, I could be a suspect.

Not wise to be saying you like little girls:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Ugly people are always doing stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

They could be just trying to lure him out by calling him ugly..so if my theory is correct all handsome men are suspects..

<<
    >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Who is Maddie and why is she so important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jonty wrote: »
    Ugly man is Maddie suspect

Actually his ugliness has been upgraded to "very ugly"

He just keeps getting uglier by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Ass wrote: »
    Who is Maddie and why is she so important?

She's a little girl and she's important because she's European.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    :confused:

Ass wrote: »
    :confused:

She went missing when on holiday with her rich and glamourous parents, perhaps when you were living on another planet, the media didn't shut up about her forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

toiletduck wrote: »
    Actually his ugliness has been upgraded to "very ugly"

He just keeps getting uglier by the hour.

Further update. Suspect has now been upgraded to "Very Ugly Super Villian"

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gary223

They were hardly glamourous. Lets not overdo it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Why don't they just piss off?

They'll only "piss off" when they find out what happened to their daughter. Fair play to them in managing to get so much publicity for their case. I'd hope I could manage to do the same if I was in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Move on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Further update. Suspect has now been upgraded to "Very Ugly Super Villian"

If he gets spotted in two countries, he will be upgraded to ugly pandemic.

Dave! wrote: »
    Move on

Seems like your trying to cover up something, but what im not sure.....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

No...She's a little girl and she is important because she is white and her parents are doctors.

And no matter how stupid they were we must remember we cannot hold them responsible for such a tragedy and keep looking for some Puerto Rican guy....I mean ugly guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

This is a rickroll isnt it?

Thats Rick. Spot on.

No...She's a little girl and she is important because she is white and her parents are doctors.

I don't know this 'white' it's slavery talk, I say European or European looking.

And no matter how stupid they were we must remember we cannot hold them responsible for such a tragedy and keep looking for some Puerto Rican guy....I mean ugly guy.

Indeed, we must remember ugly guy forced them to leave their kids unprotected while they went to a tapas bar and got drunk.

Damn ugly guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Good job it was an ugly person. It would rock my world if pedophiles were normal, or good looking, or had normal responsible jobs like priest or doctor.

I really wanted it to be that monsterous one eyed chap, and had rounded up the posse, but he turned out to be innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

gary223 wrote: »
    They were hardly glamourous. Lets not overdo it.

But they were white, middle-class professionals. And Maddie is a cute blonde white girl. If she were a poor, black child , nobody would care, particularly if she were a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

That looks like my mate Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 raunch

Maddies story seems to be angoing saga, i hope that they do eventually get to the bottom of it so that everyone involved gets some closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But they were white, middle-class professionals. And Maddie is a cute blonde white girl. If she were a poor, black child , nobody would care, particularly if she were a boy.

I am pretty sure that class trumps race in this case. And they are upper-middle class, not middle class. And well connected.

Acacia wrote: »

In the six months she was headline news around 3,600,000 African children starved to death and God alone knows how many more were kidnapped or murdered. Not a whisper of one of them on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

asdasd wrote: »
    And well connected.

Yeah they have Oprah on the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

She's on a two year holiday in Austria. they should check basements of houses but that's a bit too obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

If this guy was just a normal tourist/local non-kidnapping type who was around at the time of maddie's disappearance now he has just been called ugly on national news. poor guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

Madelaine Mc Cann

World Hide-And-Go-Seek Champion

2007-pres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 raunch

It's just a drawing, but i feel sorry for the fella if there is something who actually does look like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

asdasd wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that class trumps race in this case. And they are upper-middle class, not middle class. And well connected.
    Yes, that's probably a lot to do with it, too.
    In the six months she was headline news around 3,600,000 African children starved to death and God alone knows how many more were kidnapped or murdered. Not a whisper of one of them on the news.

But, y'know, they're poor people who's parents aren't doctors... they don't count as tragic news. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah in fairness, the McCanns have the werewithal to use the media, the parents of those African kids don't - it's sh1tty but you can't blame the McCanns for it. Blame the media for picking and choosing (and prioritising ad/circulation revenue).
    Vain wrote: »
    Not wise to be saying you like little girls:rolleyes:
    Where did he say that? (The rolleyes symbol makes it look serious rather than joking).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much have they raised in donations, and how much has been spent on publicity trips ?

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, the McCanns have the werewithal to use the media, the parents of those African kids don't - it's sh1tty but you can't blame the McCanns for it. Blame the media for picking and choosing (and prioritising ad/circulation revenue).

Where did he say that? (The rolleyes symbol makes it look serious rather than joking).

Should the media be blamed for them neglecting their children? When they could have easily afforded a minder? Or one of them could have stayed at home? Or locked the door?

In most cases I would very much agree with your sentiment (I've said it over and over about Jade Goody) but in this case there's an added layer of nastiness.

SDooM wrote: »
    Should the media be blamed for them neglecting their children? When they could have easily afforded a minder? Or one of them could have stayed at home? Or locked the door?
    But isn't the McCanns' holding some responsibility for what happened a separate issue? What's being focused on here is the disproportionate coverage of this case in comparison to children who go missing in Africa and Asia... and I just would not blame the McCanns for using all the resources at their disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

How much have they raised in donations, and how much has been spent on publicity trips ?

I don't know - How much ? And your point is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

greendom wrote: »
    Fair play to them in managing to get so much publicity and diverting the focus away from what really happened.
    FYP.

Using the money raised to jet around the world, looking for Maddie? Ya. Right.

Why not donate the money to the agencies that hunt down child paedo rings? Face it, there's many better ways they could use the money raised.

Because they're naturally pouring all their energy into finding their daughter. Selfish maybe, but understandable and what any parent would do (yeah, they left her unsupervised that night - I agree it was a grave error, but the guilt is probably likely to make them even more pro-active in their search). I doubt they're trying to "divert attention from what happened", I'd say they're simply desperate to find their first-born, and willing to do whatever it takes to find her.

It's actually scary how many adults I see doing the exact same thing. They come in to where I work, leave their kids (once or twice no older than Maddie) into a movie for a few hours while they go off somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I still don't believe that the "Big Bad (in this case) Ugly Man" took her. I'm sorry, I don't. Its too...convenient.

Oh and remembering what he looks like after all this time? Balls, I can barely remember what my family looks like after a week, never mind what some bloke that I may have seen 2 years ago on the street in a resort in a different country looks like.

I still call shenanigans.

But isn't the McCanns' holding some responsibility for what happened a separate issue? What's being focused on here is the disproportionate coverage of this case in comparison to children who go missing in Africa and Asia... and I just would not blame the McCanns for using all the resources at their disposal.

Fair enough, that wasn't the point I was making in this thread at all.

It's a played argument but it's because it's true, if this was chavs we were talking about do you think the other children would have been taken away from them?

This was my point.

Because they're naturally pouring all their energy into finding their daughter. Selfish maybe, but understandable and what any parent would do (yeah, they left her unsupervised that night - I agree it was a grave error, but the guilt is probably likely to make them even more pro-active in their search). I doubt they're trying to "divert attention from what happened", I'd say they're simply desperate to find their first-born, and willing to do whatever it takes to find her.

True.

Why did they go to America so? Was there any indication she was there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement