Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another crash, LK side of Newton - road closed.

Options
  • 07-05-2009 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Heard on the news that the N13 road is closed, the letterkenny side of Newton, due to a road crash. Diversions are in place.

Doesn't mention any injuries or anything, but there's been way too much tragedy on this road recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mrmac wrote: »
    there's been way too much tragedy on this road recently.
    There certainly has and they are doing another full investigation after the tragedy last week. And then what? The same thing will happen again in the near future. The Gardai are deluding themselves if they think 'full investigations' are going to have any positive impact. They need a better presence on the roads to stop speeding and I don't mean lurking at the Manor roundabout catching somebody doing 105kph either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

smashey wrote: »
    There certainly has and they are doing another full investigation after the tragedy last week. And then what? The same thing will happen again in the near future. The Gardai are deluding themselves if they think 'full investigations' are going to have any positive impact. They need a better presence on the roads to stop speeding and I don't mean lurking at the Manor roundabout catching somebody doing 105kph either.

Fish in a barrel springs to mind. How many tragedy's have happened coming onto the manor roundabout from the dual carriageway in the past few years??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I am a bit preturbed again and again at what seems to be the Road Safety policy in Donegal.

A few years ago, the Minisiter for Justice, I think it was Nora Owen brought in a shortlived policy that Garda Cars be white and vibrant and seen as a deterent to speeding, then comes the full money making scheme of putting all our Traffic corps on roads like the Dual Carrigeway and Clar near Donegal, sometimes hidden.

Now we have an undercover hi speed jeep, an estate car and I belive a small ford with 'L-plates' as undectectable revenue generators in Donegal.

Is it not time the Traffic Corps should be out, being seen to be out and deter speeders rather than become a secret avenue to make money for the govt.

It would be helpful if they spent some time in cars or on bikes taking time out to enforce the need to allow other motorists to let others past too, particularly Tractors etc on the less well known roads like Lifford to Ballybofey or Letterkenny etc.

Some great work has been done by all agencies and what appears to be going on now will takeaway from the goodwill that has grown towards their efforts.

If they are using the likes of L-plates and covert vehicles etc, then I will have lost all respect for them. The Revenue Collectors are not nearly as underhand when working to collect money for the Government and certainly do not dress it up as an emotional issue.

Advertisement