Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba a Disgrace

• 07-05-2009 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

was watching the chelsea barca match last night with a friend from oz who i was trying to convert to the beautiful game. he kept asking me who this clown drogba was?? for such a big lad he kept falling over and kept acting like a spoilt child. i told him that that behaviour was not out of character at all and that in fact he was an embarrassement to the game of football!!

i for one am glad that chelsea didnt make the final as watching that clown-like behaviour for another 90 minutes would seriously put me off staying up so late to watch the final, he really is a joke imo!! (not to mention the fact that he himself should've put the game beyond barca both last night and in barca!)

any thoughts?/ agree? disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yeah, you're dead right. You would never see this sort of behaviour on a rugby field.

Football players are overhyped, spoilt little brats. That sort of carry-on from Drogba, and a few other Chelsea players, sets a very bad example for young kids watching the game. Look at rugby players, they respect the referee, and they won't talk back, use foul language, or worse, push the ref.

Last night was absolutely disgraceful, I hope Chelsea get a serious fine! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

mormank wrote: »
    was watching the chelsea barca match last night with a friend from oz who i was trying to convert to the beautiful game. he kept asking me who this clown drogba was?? for such a big lad he kept falling over and kept acting like a spoilt child. i told him that that behaviour was not out of character at all and that in fact he was an embarrassement to the game of football!!

i for one am glad that chelsea didnt make the final as watching that clown-like behaviour for another 90 minutes would seriously put me off staying up so late to watch the final, he really is a joke imo!! (not to mention the fact that he himself should've put the game beyond barca both last night and in barca!)

any thoughts?/ agree? disagree?

Agree totally. He's probably finished with the PL at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, you're dead right. You would never see this sort of behaviour on a rugby field.

Football players are overhyped, spoilt little brats. That sort of carry-on from Drogba, and a few other Chelsea players, sets a very bad example for young kids watching the game. Look at rugby players, they respect the referee, and they won't talk back, use foul language, or worse, push the ref.

Last night was absolutely disgraceful, I hope Chelsea get a serious fine! :mad:

Yeah, on a Rugby pitch you are more likely to see eye gouging and people punching the crap out of each other. Much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ha I dont support Chelsea and agree what OP has said but saying rugby does not have violence on the pitch which can influence people is a joke, its 100% more violent than soccer.

Prem, International Rugby etc is a lot more professional IMO, but dont loose the run of yourself.

Ha I dont support Chelsea and agree what OP has said but saying rugby does not have violence on the pitch which can influence people is a joke, its 100% more violent than soccer.

Prem, International Rugby etc is a lot more professional IMO, but dont loose the run of yourself.
    Yeah, on a Rugby pitch you are more likely to see eye gouging and people punching the crap out of each other. Much better.

Sorry, lads, I was referring moreso to the antics by some Chelsea players at the end of the match. My comparison was how rugby players respect the referee, and how football players invariably abuse the referee.

Eye-gouging is very much frowned upon, and would be met with a serious ban. Nevertheless, you can't deny that rugby instills in its players a great respect for the authority of the referee's position. This is to be admired, and football should try to set a similar example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Im not sure there is any point in turning this into a rugby vrs football debate.
    Drogba and Ballack were a disgrace to the game last night. Fair enough, they were denied a few blatant penalties and i can understand their anger, but it is still no excuse for that childishness and hooliganism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Spoken like someone who hasn't got a clue what they're on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Sunset V wrote: »

Similar to the other chap who was saying that players are over hyped spoilt little brats? And they all invariably abuse the referee? I think I know who doesnt know what they are talking about.

And no one here ever said that what Drogba/Ballack did was acceptable and it sure as hell isnt common place. For every Drogba you have 5 Jimmy Bullards. For every Ballack you have 5 Phil Nevilles.

The behaviour of both Drogba and Ballack last night was horribly bad and is a bad represenatation of soccer but it is somehwhat understandable. The intense sense of injustice, the frustration and anger they must have felt is probably not imaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sunset V wrote: »

So you don't see player on rugby team push and punch each other fairly often? Right, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Should have the book thrown at him along with Ballack. Disgraceful.
    Bitter Bitter club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I am a Real Madrid fan and I jumped for joy when Iniesta scored, I absolutely detest Chelsea because of Drogba, Ballack, Anelka, etc they are everything that is wrong with the modern game i.e spoilt little knackers.

As for Drogba the man is a cheat plain and simple from his diving to feigning injury and the disrespect shown to the referee on numourous occasions throughout his playing career.

Why dont FIFA bring in a rule that only the captain is allowed speak to the ref like rugby ?

Auvers wrote: »
    I am a Real Madrid fan and I jumped for joy when Iniesta scored, I absolutely detest Chelsea because of Drogba, Ballack, Anelka, etc they are everything that is wrong with the modern game i.e spoilt little knackers.

As for Drogba the man is a cheat plain and simple from his diving to feigning injury and the disrespect shown to the referee on numourous occasions throughout his playing career.

Why dont FIFA bring in a rule that only the captain is allowed speak to the ref like rugby ?

Yeah, great idea.

They should put mics on the ref too, so we can hear what they say to the players, although they might have to censor some of the abuse that the modern 'professionals' lash out at the ref!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Should have the book thrown at him along with Ballack. Disgraceful.
    Bitter Bitter club

:rolleyes: What a stupid statement.

The club have every right to feel aggrieved over last night's shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I totally dont blame Drogba for last night,if the ref thought he was diving he has to give him a yellow

the ref indulged Drogba's behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Ballack was a disgrace and Drogba was an insult to the game with his diving and rolling around. His actions at the end of the game were inexcusable. Understandably he was distraught at losing but turning into the camera of all places to deliver his outburst was just terrible. It made sure the audio was picked up and beamed directly to any youngster watching. Heavy fines and bans should accompany both players in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So you don't see player on rugby team push and punch each other fairly often? Right, whatever.

Absolutely, not to mention a nice eye gouge or a nice stud stamp on the back or down the legs.

Rugby does have respect for the refs though even when they make bad decisions. Football could learn from this

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yes they can feel aggrieved but they shouldn't be treating the ref like that, even though he did make some shocking decisions. It reflects so badly on the game and also makes it so much harder for refs at the lower levels of the game.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes they can feel aggrieved but they shouldn't be treating the ref like that, even though he did make some shocking decisions. It reflects so badly on the game and also makes it so much harder for refs at the lower levels of the game.

But the club didn't do anything to the referee, only certain individuals.

Tarring everyone with the same brush is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

This is a problem in Chelsea for a few years now, berating referees, trying to influence him into making certain decisions, hysterical over the top reaction to bad decisions,goes back to Mourinho's time, he encouraged it and was part of it IMO, (remember Anders Frisk)

Delighted to see Chelsea lose, Drogba is such a cheat, not putting in any effort for the team (has happened many times this season and last) unless he feels like it is the worst cheating of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But the club didn't do anything to the referee, only certain individuals.

Tarring everyone with the same brush is ridiculous

Maybe if the "club" was managed better you wouldn't see there players putting their hand on a ref and shouting "f*cking disgrace" into the tv camera's

classy club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sorry, there's an extremely simple way to stop this which nobody talks about. The reason nobody challenges anyone in rugby is because if you did, you'd be off the pitch.

There is absolutely no reason why Ballack should not have had a straight red card for what he did. The same is true of Ballack.
    If you did that, nobody would ever do it again.

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry, there's an extremely simple way to stop this which nobody talks about. The reason nobody challenges anyone in rugby is because if you did, you'd be off the pitch.

There is absolutely no reason why Ballack should not have had a straight red card for what he did. The same is true of Ballack.

I don't know why the ref didn't send off Ballack last night - he had every right too. It was a lot more clear cut than the Abidal sending off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I agree with most, Drogba and a few other Chelsea players being very sore losers, i didn't mind who won the match as long as they beat Utd in the final, but with Chelsea behavior after the match i'm delighted they didn't get through.

But one point on how respectful rugby players etc. being towards refs, they have one major advantage, there offside rule is different, soccer players can roam anywhere on the pitch, where rugby players have to get onside before the penalty or whatever is taken they have to be back in position. I do hugely respect the rugby refs though and think that the refs in soccer need to follow there lead, tv refs and somebody to watch the game again to pull up players for diving and fouling not caught by the ref in the game, but it also has to be said that a huge blame, really huge blame has to land with the players. How many children would have been watching the game last night, and for them to see Drogba after the match acting like a child is bad for the future of the game :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

They have every right to be aggrieved, they were hard done by, but this in no way even partly excuses what Ballack did immediately after the E'to handball and what Drogba did at full time, it was a discraceful lack of respect and sets a terrible example for anyone watching.

I seen in Hiddink's interview on SSN that some of the players were saying that Uefa, enlight of the refs performance, didn't want two English teams in the final, If there is evidence of the players saying this I presume Chelsea are going to be in serious hot water, they are accusing the governing body of being corrupt and surely that governing body will not take it lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PHB wrote: »

Referees need to grow some balls.
    Take no sh!t, red card, you're off, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Contrast the behaviour of Drogba and Ballack with that of Darren Fletcher on Tuesday night.

Fletcher just walked off with a bit of a disappointed look on his face.

MOG7 wrote: »
    I agree with most, Drogba and a few other Chelsea players being very sore losers, i didn't mind who won the match as long as they beat Utd in the final, but with Chelsea behavior after the match i'm delighted they didn't get through.

But one point on how respectful rugby players etc. being towards refs, they have one major advantage, there offside rule is different, soccer players can roam anywhere on the pitch, where rugby players have to get onside before the penalty or whatever is taken they have to be back in position. I do hugely respect the rugby refs though and think that the refs in soccer need to follow there lead, tv refs and somebody to watch the game again to pull up players for diving and fouling not caught by the ref in the game, but it also has to be said that a huge blame, really huge blame has to land with the players. How many children would have been watching the game last night, and for them to see Drogba after the match acting like a child is bad for the future of the game :mad:

wtf has the nature of offside in two different sports got to do with having respect?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Referees need to grow some balls.
    Take no sh!t, red card, you're off, end of story.

Yep, but if referees started doing that there'd be uproar, imo.

Contrast the behaviour of Drogba and Ballack with that of Darren Fletcher on Tuesday night.

bit of decorum

• Advertisement

That's true but the game was over at that stage.

Bless :rolleyes: yes United never go for ref intimidation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Considering he won the ball and wasn't even a free - fantastic point tbh.

They have every right to be aggrieved, they were hard done by, but this in no way even partly excuses what Ballack did immediately after the E'to handball and what Drogba did at full time, it was a discraceful lack of respect and sets a terrible example for anyone watching.

But no one is excusing it. However, the club had no control over Ballack at the moment, or Drogba at the end of the whistle, so to collectively call them a 'bitter, bitter club' is what I'm taking issue with.

Considering he won the ball and wasn't even a free - fantastic point tbh.

How can it not have been a penalty when he had both legs wrapped around Fabregas ?

But no one is excusing it. However, the club had no control over Ballack at the moment, or Drogba at the end of the whistle, so to collectively call them a bitter, bitter club' is what I'm taking issue with.

The players are representatives of the club.

They disgraced themselves and the club last night.

• Advertisement

Yep, but if referees started doing that there'd be uproar, imo.

Uproar for a wee while I'm sure, but sh!t like that needs to be cleared out of football. A small price to pay imo.

ntlbell wrote: »
    The players are representatives of the club.

They disgraced themselves and the club last night.

So are Chelsea a bitter, bitter club? Because that's all I was addressing.

[quote=green with envy;60139538]How can it not have been a penalty when he had both legs wrapped around Fabregas ?[/quote]

Utd are the best, get over it, stick to topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I can see where he was coming from, its not right but I can see. Champions League Semi Final, one minute from the final and up steps the Andres Iniesta. Season over. After such an amount of bad decisions the ref shouldn't officiate another European game again, IMO.

These nights should be remembered for the football that was played, the magnificent goals that were scored but in a couple of years time all we will remember is Ballack and Drogba goin 'schizo' at the ref and the decisions that he made.

At the end of the day Chelsea have only themselves to blame for not being in the final. They were playing against 10 men for most of the second half and should have made that count for more. Drogba probably remembering the 2 clear cut chances he missed in both legs and deciding he will vent his anger upon a match official to make him feel better. Its more his fault than the refs.

What I think should happen:
    Drogba: Banned from the group stages next year
    Ballack: 3 match ban
    Bosingwa: 3 match ban

This behaviour is unacceptable from professionals and will probably be replicated in underage soccer matches. Great role models, UEFA need to show this behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Maybe not a bitter bitter club, but there is a certain attitude that I believe was fostered under previous managment as I said before, and will need a player clearout to change. (And a new captain, Terry is part of the problem)

• Advertisement

destroyer wrote: »
    Utd are the best, get over it, stick to topic.

Right - I stand corrected :rolleyes::D

How can it not have been a penalty when he had both legs wrapped around Fabregas ?

because he got the ball before he got fabregas?

There are some ridiculous comments in this thread, not every footballer is a spoilt brat..
    And people going on about Drogba diving they should also mention Ronaldo and even Gerrard and Rooney are known to dive.

Otherwise I agree, there's no excuse for the behaviour of Drogba shouting into the camera and Ballack nearly raping the referee.

But this has no reflection on the club, how can the club have stopped those individuals acting out like that?

the players sent out to represent them are or showed that.

so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

this thread reeks of double standards...

ntlbell wrote: »
    because he got the ball before he got fabregas?

He may have well regained control of the ball if his movement hadn't been impeded. He was fouled - its a pen - end of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Slightly different circumstances. United got decision after decision given to them in the match until the sending off and Chelsea got turned down 4 penalty claims.

Ballack nearly raping the referee.

He didn't even have an erection.

He may have well regained control of the ball if his movement hadn't been impeded. He was fouled - its a pen - end of

fouls are not given on what might or might not happen

it was eithier a foul or it wasn't

if he got the ball first what would of happened afterwards is irrelvant.

did he get the ball first?

if your answer is yes then in your own eyes it wasn't a peno

if he didn't then it was it's that simple

He wasn't "in control" of the ball in the first place, he didn't touch the ball before the tackle

• Advertisement
Advertisement