Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba a Disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

jimbling wrote: »
    What's horsesh1t about it? I watch rugby all the time. There are very very few times where refereeing decisions are the talking point of a game. Obv it happens occasionally, but not often.

You obviously haven't been watching rugby for very long then.

The only reason that this is the case, is because nowadays the ref goes to the TMO 4 or 5 times a game!
    Back before the ref had that option, refs were constantly making decisions that effected the game in a massive, massive way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I don't think Anelka dived, did he?.. I thought he just fell over his own feet and the ref got it wrong..

I'll have to have another look though

I thought that at first aswell and thought nothing of it, then I replayed it afterwards and he went into a spin then sat and turned to the ref and put his hands in the air as if to say "Come on ref" Wouldn't have had any problem with it if he hadn't have gone looking for it. At the end of the day it's still up to the ref to get it right but it's not totally his fault when you have cheats like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Association Football has no rules.

It has Laws.

And the referees are the appointed judges of these laws.

There are no hard and fast rules that must be adhered to at all times.

Phrased much better than I could and more correct

Back on topic

Both Drogba and Ballack were very luck not to get sent off last night

The Ref should ahve booked Drogba for diving during the game and could possibly have sent him off after the game for his protests

Ballack slapped the ref and chased him across the pitch

Looks like there will be a lot of cases for Chelsea to answer after this game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

abelard wrote: »

So say what you want about Drogba, he probably deserves it. But seperate him from the club, there are som many people there who don't deserve to be painted with the same brush.

The thing is, a player like that can only thrive within a club if his behaviour isn't called to task. It all stems back to Mourinho's 'win at all costs' mentality, but the fact that Drogba's disgusting behaviour has not only been tollerated but encouraged means that people will cast all of Chelsea in this light. Even Hiddink has come out defending him.

If Drogba wasn't considered to be more important to Chelsea than their reputation he would have been kicked out years ago, however, he is indugled and allowed to continue his cheating ways and it reflects on the club as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are you sure Ballack actually slapped the ref?

I don't think he physically touched him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just read John Terrys inturpation of Drogbas actions last night

"I am fully behind Didier for the way he reacted," declared Terry. "The man wants to win. You can see the passion that he played with during the game and the passion afterwards."

what a load of ****, passion me hole more like being a spoilt overpaid *cheat*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8037118.stm

*edit whoops used word thats frowned upon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Dave! wrote: »
    Lampard for one. Gentleman IMO.

Yeah he even swapped shirts with iniesta :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The thing is, a player like that can only thrive within a club if his behaviour isn't called to task. It all stems back to Mourinho's 'win at all costs' mentality, but the fact that Drogba's disgusting behaviour has not only been tollerated but encouraged means that people will cast all of Chelsea in this light. Even Hiddink has come out defending him.

If Drogba wasn't considered to be more important to Chelsea than their reputation he would have been kicked out years ago, however, he is indugled and allowed to continue his cheating ways and it reflects on the club as a whole.

Great excuse to bring this back again. He should have gone after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It looked to me like he caught the ref on the back, don't think he intentionally slapped him but given the way he was in the ref's face the ref could easily have done him for it

Yeah he even swapped shirts with iniesta :eek:

Yep, clapped to the fans, handed over his jersey and headed off. Maybe he went into the dressing room and kicked everything in there but he didn't disgrace himself in frint of millions of viewers all over Europe. Maybe the cameras should have focussed on players like him and not shown the antics of the apes following the game. Hate to think that if we have kids following the diving antics of Ronaldo, Drogba, Messi, Gerard, and the likes that they might also follow the example of some of the Chelsea players after the game and think they are within their rights to abuse refs after games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The talk about Chelsea saying Uefa don't want another all English final is rubbish too, em simple fact if they wanted that why would the ref have sent off Abidal :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't like Drogba any less than the next man, but in all fairness he was trying his hardest to win and was clearly quite passionate about it, something to keep in mind when people criticise his dedication to the cause.

The ref in football is not protected enough. And a big culprit there is themselves. If Ballack, Drogba, etc had all been given red cards they'd think twice about doing that again. If Terry got a yellow card every time he complained to the ref he'd never finish a match - do that to him and he'll stop.

Rugby and football are both good sports but comparisons are obviously flawed -they're both different.

However, stuff like only the captain being allowed talk to the referee reduce the scope for him being influenced. And in fairness, there's often the option to have someone watch a replay of crucial calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I would call for the sternest punishment available for Drogba and Ballack. A good serious fine that'll make them think about what they've done - not some gay amount like £2000 - a good few month's wages or something. And a suspension as well. This crap needs to be nipped in the bud as behaviour like this will seep down to lower levels of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Yeah, he put his left hand on the ref (twice I think). You can watch it here in slow motion:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

What a sight, the vision of Drogba shouting down the camera at the viewers. He should take a look at Frank Lampard on how to lose graciously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry, there's an extremely simple way to stop this which nobody talks about. The reason nobody challenges anyone in rugby is because if you did, you'd be off the pitch.

There is absolutely no reason why Ballack should not have had a straight red card for what he did. The same is true of Ballack.
    If you did that, nobody would ever do it again.

You're talking about a whole mindset change. Respecting the ref's decision is drilled into rugby players from a very young age - and is followed through, sometimes teaching a harsh lesson.

Complaining about a decision against you can lead to the penalty being moved up 10 (which you can do in footie?) or decisions being reversed - which can win or lose games.

And that's all that's needed - the first person to get sent off for backchat/harassing ref or get a decision reversed or losing 10 metres on a free kick - AND possibly losing the game - will see an immediate difference.

No backchat is another great law.

Part of me despises modern football, diving whingers, games ruined by incompetent and outdated ruling bodies.

The technology is there for video ref's, goal line replays, questioning calls (like tennis) - it's just a case of turning it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

deisedevil wrote: »
    Yep, clapped to the fans, handed over his jersey and headed off. Maybe he went into the dressing room and kicked everything in there but he didn't disgrace himself in frint of millions of viewers all over Europe. Maybe the cameras should have focussed on players like him and not shown the antics of the apes following the game. Hate to think that if we have kids following the diving antics of Ronaldo, Drogba, Messi, Gerard, and the likes that they might also follow the example of some of the Chelsea players after the game and think they are within their rights to abuse refs after games.

:confused:

Definitly not a diver even though he gets worse treatment than most if not all the others you mention and the smallest and weakest of the lot.

I don't like Drogba any less than the next man, but in all fairness he was trying his hardest to win and was clearly quite passionate about it, something to keep in mind when people criticise his dedication to the cause.

The ref in football is not protected enough. And a big culprit there is themselves. If Ballack, Drogba, etc had all been given red cards they'd think twice about doing that again. If Terry got a yellow card every time he complained to the ref he'd never finish a match - do that to him and he'll stop.

Rugby and football are both good sports but comparisons are obviously flawed -they're both different.

However, stuff like only the captain being allowed talk to the referee reduce the scope for him being influenced. And in fairness, there's often the option to have someone watch a replay of crucial calls.

I agree with most of this post, except the bit in bold, I think if Drogba was truly passionate about the game he wouldn't stay down for 2 minutes every time he gets touched, he acts like a big baby when he doesn't get his way throwing a hissy fit. I don't really consider that as passion.

He should definetly look at how Lampard acted after match and take some notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Contrast the behaviour of Drogba and Ballack with that of Darren Fletcher on Tuesday night.

Fletcher just walked off with a bit of a disappointed look on his face.

or Lampard for that matter.

class among the clowns.

just stood there about to cry from what i could see, swapped shirts with, while congratulating the tie-winner Iniesta.

i've a lot more respect for Frank after the last couple of weeks.

EDIT: just skimming last couple of pages, and it's good to see others noticing Frank's behaviour too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

personally dont believe drogba or ballack are disgraces for last night, whilst it can be said they should have respected the ref the ref didnt earn that respect with his inability to do his job correctly.

in general ya drogba dives he just gets much more criticised for it than oh i dunno a Man Utd number 7 who is more disrespectful to the game of football than drogba ever will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

patmac wrote: »
    Back on topic. The problem with Drogba is he is such a bad actor, he could seriously do with some lessons. The incident where he challenged for the ball in the second half and rolling around as if he had been shot, almost carried of the field then trots back on just after the replay showed he wasn’t touched, that along with Anelka’s dive, Ballack's almost rape, would anger any neutral. Add in an owner who got his money by dubious means and Cashley Cole and you can see why Chelsea are not very popular at the moment.
    I’m not even convinced by Drogba’s antics at the end they were so over the top, were they even genuine? Has he got a brain?
    So in response to the op yes he is a disgrace, and Chelsea got everything they deserved last night.

Couldn't agree more.
    I was in Monaco recently, and was watching a bit of French TV.
    Drogba's currently doing the rounds on an add for Kinder Bueno.

Terrible he is!:D

Iang87 wrote: »
    personally dont believe drogba or ballack are disgraces for last night, whilst it can be said they should have respected the ref the ref didnt earn that respect with his inability to do his job correctly.

true about the ref, but...

they were disgraces. surely they could act like Lampard, no? have a barny behind closed doors?

it's more likely now that the authorities will look at their behaviour before the performance of the referee now.

i don't see how their actions could be excused to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

in general ya drogba dives he just gets much more criticised for it than oh i dunno a Man Utd number 7 who is more disrespectful to the game of football than drogba ever will be.

the referree was not competent, no doubt about it. But nobody can suggest he lied, cheated or went out of his way to wrong Chelsea. He just made mistakes, and did not deserve to be disrespected in that manner. Drogba is a disgrace, and has been for years. He's the
    Much as i dislike Ronaldo (and believe me i dislike the chap) he doesn't come close to Didier in the cheating stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3c7339899.jpg

As for Ballack, maybe he should look closer to home before blaming the referee. Stay on your feet FFS.

As for Ballack, maybe he should look closer to home before blaming the referee. Stay on your feet FFS.

yep.

and there'd be nothing to talk about except the prospect of Utd/Chelsea II.

i prefer the thread we have at the moment tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »

Also, any more United/Arsenal/Liverpool talk will result in infractions for thread spoiling. Take it elsewhere.

And further to that, cut out the backseat modding. Report posts you don't feel are appropriate

Unfortunately a warning didn't seem to be sufficient for you, so take a couple of days off to consider it in more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

While the ref wasn't brilliant (the handball penalty claim seemed clear), but some of the other penalty claims were good decisions, as they just weren't penalties.

Drogba's outburst at the end of the game was a real disgrace. I'd be very surprised if Chelsea or even UEFA don't take further action against him for what he did. There is really NO call for that. It's not like the ref is going to change his mind when the game is finished. Sure, he made mistakes, but yelling at him after the game isn't going to change anything.

There seems to be no respect for officials, and that only causes further problems. What ever happened to that "Respect" code that was supposed to be in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

What a joke of a thread to be honest.

First of all theres the video ref in Rugby so important decisions are made correctly hence no player will go "WTF" theyl see whats right and wrong.

In soccer you dont have that chance and speaking from someone who plays the sport it can be the most fustrating thing getting tripped in the box and not getting a penalty.

I can only imagine what Chelsea felt like last night, a minute from the final and having multiple clear penalties turned down. The Referee was a disgrace.

Im a Liverpool fan and dislike chelsea but they have every right to be pissed off about last night. It was a disgrace.

Drogbas diving is one thing but the lad showing passion is another thing.

I gurantee you if this was United everyone would be up in arms about it. Flecther should be gutted aswell but he knew his team were there.

They might of gone overboard but that referee was a disgrace and shouldnt be allowed ref a big game for looong time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

I can see UEFA getting involved with this rather than Chelsea themselves dealing with it internally. Both Drogba and Ballack were visibly upset and went very far with their protests. Stupid acts by both players. I don't know which is worse, their behaviour or the stupid comments by Bosingwa. That's what UEFA will probably come down the hardest on, calling the ref a "thief". Very foolish.

Just been watching the interviews on skysports.com/football and saw Ballack's post match interview. Is it just me or does he look like a man who has travelled forward in time from the 80's? Ever see those 80's movies and songs on youtube. That's him...very funny. Style doen't change much in Germany by the look at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

The ref was terrible last night to be honest. Chelsea had 3 penalty claims not given, 1 that ended up being a free outside the box for Malouda, Pique's handball and Etoo's at the end. The rules are that you cant come out with your hands up like that.

As for chasing the ref like Ballack did, saying they should show the players respect, shouldnt the ref likewise show the players respect? They are both professionals if the referee acts like he did by just running off how does he expect Ballack to react. As for Drogba, surely he is entitled to his opinion or does his not count because he was a player. I agree with Hiddink that the players actions were most understandable given the circumstances. We'd all complain if they didnt show any passion for the game too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Paulw wrote: »
    While the ref wasn't brilliant (the handball penalty claim seemed clear), but some of the other penalty claims were good decisions, as they just weren't penalties.

Drogba's outburst at the end of the game was a real disgrace. I'd be very surprised if Chelsea or even UEFA don't take further action against him for what he did. There is really NO call for that. It's not like the ref is going to change his mind when the game is finished. Sure, he made mistakes, but yelling at him after the game isn't going to change anything.

There seems to be no respect for officials, and that only causes further problems. What ever happened to that "Respect" code that was supposed to be in place?

Are the players not entitled to the same respect from referee's. In no other profession s anyone above reproach like referee's are. These guys get well paid for what they do. Not akin to players but certainly better than the ordinary joe on the street. In every profession it would be courtesy to explain your decisions expect for referee's. If they didnt act like little hitlers half the time they'd have less problems

slingerz wrote: »
    We'd all complain if they didnt show any passion for the game too

so did Frank Lampard not show any passion then?

from where i was sitting he showed in bucketloads on the pitch, in his deflated yet gracious demeanour at the end, and the way he conducted himself in the post match press conference.

if they had any sense, Chelsea would make him captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

slingerz wrote: »
    If they didnt act like little hitlers half the time they'd have less problems

I don't think this is true at all, any match I watch the referee appears pretty calm and willing to discuss an decision with a player. Referee's nowadays are a lot better at allowing the game to flow than they were in say the 80's and 90's. There are often times, United -v- Arsenal on Tuesday for example, when cards are brought out only after a warning or two.

Finally, there seems to be much more transparency from referees now, with them admitting mistakes and generally discussing their work more with the media through their Union.

I rarely see the ref (if ever) berating a player, getting in a players face or treating a player with contempt. Alas, the opposite occurs in I would say 60 or 70% of games each weekend.

To keep this on topic, Didier Drogba behaved appalingly last night, had no right to be on the pitch having been subbed off and showed he has absolutely no respect for the game or the officials. This is the same guy who regularly cons referees and if the result had gone the opposite way in the same circumstances would have been celebrating with his team mates jubilantly in front of their fans.

Also, the fact that it was his injury that stretched injury time so long gave me a giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

SlickRic wrote: »
    so did Frank Lampard not show any passion then?

Frank Lampard showed, as he generally does, impeccable dignity. A true sportsman.

The whole nature of sport is that it is a contest and should be played out in the best spirit and sportsmanship. Otherwise, we'll just all end up watching "The Running Man" type gameshows were it's kill or be killed.

Football can't end up no holds barred. Imagine how other sports would be if the referee's were treated as a soccer referee is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

the way some Chelsea players conducted themselves towards the end of last nights game was nothing short of sickening.

At the end of the day, the ref has to make a call on a split second from his vantage point and will not always be correct (with the hindsight of replays). This is an issue for FIFA - whether or not to use a video referee that has worked well in rugby.

They believed it was their god given divine right to progress to the final last night, and when they didnt - the man in black was the easy target.

Draupnir wrote: »
    The whole nature of sport is that it is a contest and should be played out in the best spirit and sportsmanship.

Imagine how other sports would be if the referee's were treated as a soccer referee is?

these are the 2 of the main issues with football in the modern era, and they were personified last night perfectly.

Ronaldo aint half as bad as Drogba but shur you know that anyways, there's other reasons for you having said that.

Only one of the decisions against Chelsea was incorrect, Pique handball should have been a peno. That's what I think of the game after watching all the major shouts in slow replay.

So if there's any chance that it was only that one penalty that should have been given (and Barca having a player sent off was much harsher) then is it still right for the Chelsea players to do what they did after the game?

I don't think it's ever right, what's the point in making yourself look like an idiot and risking a ban.

Just ask Mascherano, he knows all about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have no intention of defending Drogba but why can you not mention other players and teams if you do want to make a case for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

If Chelsea go and get the second goal against a ten man Barca they kill the game off. If they do that then Chelsea would be in the final and Barca would be saying the red card was a disgrace ect.

The ref had a shocker for both teams. But to treat him that way was disrespectful and unprofessional.

Drogba should reflect on the fact that maby he should try and stay on the pitch to score that vital second goal instead of getting himself taken off. He looked well enough to run over to the ref after the game. Nothing wrong with him.

Ballack didn't do himself or Chelsea football club any favours last night either.

I feel for any team that goes out of any competition due to bad officating but this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zNMAPqIrA

is not acceptable. Nice music though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have no intention of defending Drogba but why can you not mention other players and teams if you do want to make a case for him.

I presume that's a query about moderation? PM is the way to go about that, as you should know.

But I'll explain it once here for the benefit of others. There is no harm in referencing another incident, however it's another thing to start debating the merits of it as it detracts from the speicific topic of the thread.

Any further problems then PM one of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If I had 2-3 blatant penalties turned down on my team stopping us from going through to the biggest final of my life, then to see my opponents snatch the victory from under me in the last minute, I would be barraging the referee.

Its funny alot of you brandishing them a disgrace, you nor I will ever nor have ever played in front of a crowd of that size and atmosphere. Adrenaline and passion as Guss said, does come into play, sometimes you do stupid things, rush of blood to the head.

Michael Ballack is coming to the end of his career, or has been the last 2 years, and here is a chance for one of the top midfielders ( whilst he was in his peak) of the last 10 years to finish his career with a champions league medal, instead a stupid referee makes a hash of it.

That referee was a disgrace. I have absolutely no sympathy for referees what so ever. From all my years in football playing I'd no respect for them, and a little campaign here and there wont change my mind. consistently making howlers, have no experience of playing football at ANY recognisable level. Miss the most simpliest of decisions that millions other can see.

The only thing stopping technology coming into the premiership and top leagues is " o we will lose the banter of wether it was right or wrong" Thats a ****ing remo comment, considering the amount of money at stake for these game sin revenue etc.

The sooner ex-players start becoming referees the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

What Drogba & co have done is no worse than what has been done before. The only way to stop this behaviuor is to bring in Video Ref with each team given 3 chances to use it during a game like Tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I agree with most of this post, except the bit in bold, I think if Drogba was truly passionate about the game he wouldn't stay down for 2 minutes every time he gets touched, he acts like a big baby when he doesn't get his way throwing a hissy fit. I don't really consider that as passion.

He should definetly look at how Lampard acted after match and take some notes.

Again, he's trying to win. It's an unpleasant way of doing it, but if it works, can we criticise his dedication to securing his team the victory they so crave?

English teams are really reminding me of the Italians five or so years ago. Really tough sneaky cheaty defensive performances when faced with technical superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

This is the mindset that pervades soccer. It's gonna take a lotta changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I can only hope that the UEFA will hit Chelsea hard for this.
    Ban the club for next years UEFA tournaments would be a nice start.

But, i fear Chelsea being a "big" team from a big football country will get away with it.
    UEFA only bans clubs from smaller countries for problems that club never caused.

Just this picture
    0KJ8T352_210211h.jpg

Should be good for a ban.

At the other hand, Man Utd must not be happy with the outcome of last night as we all know that any team with Ballack in it is guaranteed to lose the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

inforfun wrote: »
    I can only hope that the UEFA will hit Chelsea hard for this.
    Ban the club for next years UEFA tournaments would be a nice start.

But, i fear Chelsea being a "big" team from a big football country will get away with it.
    UEFA only bans clubs from smaller countries for problems that club never caused.

Just this picture
    0KJ8T352_210211h.jpg

Should be good for a ban.

At the other hand, Man Utd must not be happy with the outcome of last night as we all know that any team with Ballack in it is guaranteed to lose the final.

without context, that picture looks so wrong

Again, he's trying to win. It's an unpleasant way of doing it, but if it works, can we criticise his dedication to securing his team the victory they so crave?

English teams are really reminding me of the Italians five or so years ago. Really tough sneaky cheaty defensive performances when faced with technical superiority.
    I think wanting to win by what ever means necessary, and passion for the game are different.
    I believe players like, Gerrard, Tevez, Fletcher, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney and players along those lines have true passion for the game.
    Obviously Drogba does have passion for the game or he wouldn't be playing, but I think its on a different level to that of the above players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

without context, that picture looks so wrong

Certainly if they would exchange their facial expressions....

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

TheDoc wrote: »
    If I had 2-3 blatant penalties turned down on my team stopping us from going through to the biggest final of my life, then to see my opponents snatch the victory from under me in the last minute, I would be barraging the referee.

Its funny alot of you brandishing them a disgrace, you nor I will ever nor have ever played in front of a crowd of that size and atmosphere. Adrenaline and passion as Guss said, does come into play, sometimes you do stupid things, rush of blood to the head.

Michael Ballack is coming to the end of his career, or has been the last 2 years, and here is a chance for one of the top midfielders ( whilst he was in his peak) of the last 10 years to finish his career with a champions league medal, instead a stupid referee makes a hash of it.

That referee was a disgrace. I have absolutely no sympathy for referees what so ever. From all my years in football playing I'd no respect for them, and a little campaign here and there wont change my mind. consistently making howlers, have no experience of playing football at ANY recognisable level. Miss the most simpliest of decisions that millions other can see.

The only thing stopping technology coming into the premiership and top leagues is " o we will lose the banter of wether it was right or wrong" Thats a ****ing remo comment, considering the amount of money at stake for these game sin revenue etc.

The sooner ex-players start becoming referees the better.

1) One probable penalty, A few dubious claims

2)They were still winning even after all the "bad" refereeing decisions, what lost Chelsea the game was conceding a late goal (when Ballack seemed to duck out of the way)

3) Refs decisions are no longer simple , thanks to eloborate designs to hoodwink them by some players (Drogba being one culprit), in fact the irony is that because of the prevalence of diving, many genuine claims
    are being turned down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

TheDoc wrote: »

Well maybe if Ballack had attempted to put his body on the line by blocking Iniesta's shot instead of ducking out of the way, he might have a Champions League final to look forward.

Ballack went missing in that game. Probably didn't want to risk a booking and being suspended for the final so he hid!

Advertisement