Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba a Disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can't see Uefa do much about it, maybe get a fine for failing to control there players and maybe Drogba hit with a fine but there isn't a hope in hell of a ban from Uefa competitions or anything too major. Ballack was yellow carded iirc for jumping after the ref so i can imagine they will just say that the ref dealt with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the ref was terrible last night. a proper clown.

thing is, drogba has been a clown for many years. Jose even called him a diver and a cheat and those 2 were tight. he is admired and loved in his home country and is somewhat of a national figurehead... instead of embracing this and acting accordingly, he just seems to have let it feed his ego to think he is actually gods gift and can say and do anything.
    he showed last night what we have all known for a long time, he is a petulant child, a diver and when things dont go his way he has no dignity at all. swearing at the tv was the cherry on top. hope he gets a nice lengthy ban.

oh - and hes overrated on the pitch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

The fourth Official should be able to intervene when he sees video replys. If he makes a mistake then he should get the rap and not the ref. Also suspensions should be autmatically lifted if video evidence show the player getting the ball first.

In terms of players haggling the ref they should recieve harsh punishment. Just because its an important match does not give drogba the right to freak out.

What next? Would a supporter be encouraged to haggle drogba in the street for missing that sitter at the nou camp.

The Chelsea players reaction last nite could easily have encited violence in the stands between supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So are Chelsea a bitter, bitter club? Because that's all I was addressing.

Why bother with silly, off-topic pedantry?

The "club" can refer to the squad, the fans, the management, the upstairs management or any combination. Back to the debate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

first of all i am glad that this thread got the response that i feel the subject deserves. this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable in my eyes. pasion etc is an excuse and that is all it is. it does not make it even close to acceptable! you can have passion without showing such contempt for the game, the ref, the competition and the club and supporters!

secondly i can honestly hold my hands up and say that if a plyer as bad as drogba was playing for liverpool i would want him out of the club and replaced with whoever we could, whether it be a ryan babel or nemeth or whatever...i totally agree with the posters that are saying that players like this can only thrive in a club that accepts such behaviour. chelsea's players roght now appear to be above redress as thye dont even know who is in charge at the club and this situation has been the same since joose left. thye dont need to behave or show respect to the manager even because they know that he will be gone before they as players are. why should they show respect for anyone when they know they will get away with it?? and believe me, a fine of a couple of grand for these people is getting away with it as they earn such ridiculous money that a fine is simply not the way to go here.

fwiw i dont like ronnies antics either but i honestly think he is not as bad these days as he has been in the past and finally seems to have respect for players around him, such as vidic after he took the header off big vid's head against arsenal. drogba on the other hand has been consistently poor in his behaviour and seems to be getting worse. also he cant really hide behind his age like other players could in the past and present.

• Advertisement

Chelsea could easily have had 2 penalties. They were clear handballs imo. The players are right to be angry.

On the other hand, there is a limit to what type of protest is acceptable and Chelsea players overstepped the mark. Nothing will change the result. And I was delighted and amused by the "we woz robbed" reactions on Sky Sports. Such an injustice couldn't have happened to a nicer club. I'm a firm believer in karma and maybe John Terry's slip before what was to be the winning peno 12 months ago and last night's decisions were a result of it. Maybe the years and years of Drogba's disgraceful behaviour caught up with him, it was pointed out by Redknapp correctly that not even Hiddink knew if Drogba was playacting or not and he had to be taken off.

Drogba had two 1-on-1s that were easy by his standard, 1 in each game, and he missed both. Ballack danced out of the way of Iniesta's shot like a coward. Chelsea had the chances to win and didn't take them, they were punished accordingly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Drogba is a big guy yet those dam invisible butterflies keep fouling him in games!

He is a fool that dives and goes down too easy under any sort of a challenge and the sooner he is gone from the prem the better tbh.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ballack went missing in that game. Probably didn't want to risk a booking and being suspended for the final so he hid!

Well said.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The club have every right to feel aggrieved over last night's shenanigans.

There's ways and means to get your point across that don't involve harassing refs or swearing on live tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

TheDoc wrote: »
    If I had 2-3 blatant penalties turned down on my team stopping us from going through to the biggest final of my life, then to see my opponents snatch the victory from under me in the last minute, I would be barraging the referee.

Its funny alot of you brandishing them a disgrace, you nor I will ever nor have ever played in front of a crowd of that size and atmosphere. Adrenaline and passion as Guss said, does come into play, sometimes you do stupid things, rush of blood to the head.

Michael Ballack is coming to the end of his career, or has been the last 2 years, and here is a chance for one of the top midfielders ( whilst he was in his peak) of the last 10 years to finish his career with a champions league medal, instead a stupid referee makes a hash of it.

still, i have to ask again, why was lampard able to behave impeccably then?

because he is a model professional, knows how to be sporting, and is a credit to his sport and profession.

as opposed to the others, who have NO excuse for their actions.

none. zip. nada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    Why bother with silly, off-topic pedantry?

The "club" can refer to the squad, the fans, the management, the upstairs management or any combination. Back to the debate...

It's very much on-topic. The integrity of a whole club should not be called into question because of one or two individuals.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    There's ways and means to get your point across that don't involve harassing refs or swearing on live tv.

I definitely agree, though as I said, I can understand why the players did what they did.

The problem is referees for the most part are a protected species. Sure your man might get a rap on the knuckles but what consolation is that to Ballack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It's very much on-topic. The integrity of a whole club should not be called into question because of one or two individuals.

No but that club has shown a basically united front in support of those actions. Terry supported them. Hiddink supported them. That's the captain and manager who both represent the club, certainly in the public eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

but xavi surely the club has to be heewhat responsible for not acting on suhc behaviour!!! players have been banned by clubs for far less than last nights antics!! look at joey barton for e recent example. for guus to come out and defend them is crazy imo. and it is the club that is harbouring the players that behave like this

mayordenis wrote: »

Indeed. Will this be the 2nd ref hounded out of the game after a Chelsea "protest"?

No but that club has shown a basically united front in support of those actions. Terry supported them. Hiddink supported them. That's the captain and manager who both represent the club, certainly in the public eye.

Indded, but it's not bitterness as was suggested. It's speaking/acting against an injustice. If Barca had simply won the game with no controversy then Chelsea wouldn't have a leg to stand on. As it is they've been screwed.

The two are very different.

The problem is referees for the most part are a protected species. Sure your man might get a rap on the knuckles but what consolation is that to Ballack?

Tough luck. It's a game. He should take it like a man. He can cry into his 120k euro payslip when he goes home and think about why he danced out of the way of Iniesta's shot instead of a: moving earlier towards Iniesta who Messi was going to lay off to and b: making a credible effort to block it.

Players should behave responsibly, remember what happened to Frisk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think that Drogba, ballack and Terry could all miss group stages next year wonder if they'll get through them next year.

On rugby you can't compare the two sports and the way they treat the ref in rugby if the ref isn't sure he goes to the video ref. In soccer one of the things that makes it great is the free flowing nature of the game with all the diving a ref could be stopping and starting the game every few minutes.

I'm really disapointed but i think the introduction of a video ref took a few steps closer these last few weeks Palacios tackle, the peno in the same game, fletchers red, and the anarchy from last night might just of started us on a road that will see the game change greatly in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Gutted over the result terrible refereeing decisions (including the sending off) by a poor ref who should not have been in charge of such a big game.
    But that’s football and we move on.
    As for Drogba yes he should have known better as a professional footballer, but it’s easy for people to come on here as slate him for this and that it was an emotive moment he lost it but so have a lot more high profile players over the years.
    What annoyed me more was the 3 GobS***es panellists on RTE you could see how happy they where that Chelsea where out so much for unbiased opinion they talk such crap, and as for dumpy comparing the Chelsea players behaviour to the Munster/Leinster Rugby match, what was that all about? Completely different situation no controversial decisions that day as far as I could see.
    Anyway as I said game is over move on and looking forward to the 3rd place final on Sunday!!
    Up the Blues

Tough luck. It's a game. He should take it like a man. He can cry into his 120k euro payslip when he goes home and think about why he danced out of the way of Iniesta's shot instead of a: moving earlier towards Iniesta who Messi was going to lay off to and b: making a credible effort to block it.

Players should behave responsibly, remember what happened to Frisk.

Sorry but if it's just 'a game' then we really don't have much to discuss. I would have thought that most of us here would at least acknowledge that the semi final of the biggest club competition in the world is just a smidgen more than that.

From the Mourinho era on, the Frisk saga, the constant and incessant hounding of referees over every little decision in every single game, having that disgrace Drogba on the payroll, the microphones in the Man Utd dressing room and on and on to last night's disgraceful scenes...the integrity of the whole club really should be called into question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Am i the only one who finds it amusing that Hiddink said it was the worst refereeing performance he has ever seen. clearly he has forgotten the 2002 world cup and the italy and spain games his korean side played.

Sorry but if it's just 'a game' then we really don't have much to discuss. I would have thought that most of us here would at least acknowledge that the semi final of the biggest club competition in the world is just a smidgen more than that.

My point is that in sport, soccer (a game yes?), you should take your defeats with even a little bit of sportsmanship. Sure, speak to the ref if you're angry. Give him a bollocking in the press. But look at Lampard last night and one or two others who did manage to control their emotions. It's about being a man a professional and it's about not acting like a hormonal 16 year old stampting your feet and screaming when you've been on the receiving end of a bad decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think that Drogba, ballack and Terry could all miss group stages next year wonder if they'll get through them next year.

On rugby you can't compare the two sports and the way they treat the ref in rugby if the ref isn't sure he goes to the video ref. In soccer one of the things that makes it great is the free flowing nature of the game with all the diving a ref could be stopping and starting the game every few minutes.

The video ref only comes into play in Rugby when the ref is unsure as to whether a try has been scored. He can't decide on who pulled a scrum down or whether a line out was wonky for example. The games are not as far apart as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

dancor wrote: »
    14ui442.jpg

From another forum. What an idiot.

Makes me laugh when people get up in arms over something like this!! ooh look the bad man said the F word....cover you're childrens ears!! lets switch this off and watch Gordon Ramsey on the other side :D

My point is that in sport, soccer (a game yes?), you should take your defeats with even a little bit of sportsmanship. Sure, speak to the ref if you're angry. Give him a bollocking in the press. But look at Lampard last night and one or two others who did manage to control their emotions. It's about being a man a professional and it's about not acting like a hormonal 16 year old stampting your feet and screaming when you've been on the receiving end of a bad decision.

But sure managers can't even do that without facing disciplinary action. As I said, referees are a protected species.

But sure managers can't even do that without facing disciplinary action. As I said, referees are a protected species.

Protected like Anders Frisk was?

They can criticise him, they can't accuse him, like another Chelsea brightspark did today, of being a "thief" or acting in a biased manner.

In any case, you're wrong, if referees make terrible mistakes they pay for it. Obviously though you can't replay the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

dogpile wrote: »
    Makes me laugh when people get up in arms over something like this!! ooh look the bad man said the F word....cover you're childrens ears!! lets switch this off and watch Gordon Ramsey on the other side :D

Would you let young children watch Ramsey when you know he'll be letting rip? Would you expect to let your child watch a big football match and not have his heroes shouting "Fcuking disgrace" down the telly at them? (god help any child who has Drogba as a hero)

Protected like Anders Frisk was?

They can criticise him, they can't accuse him, like another Chelsea brightspark did today, of being a "thief" or acting in a biased manner.

In any case, you're wrong, if referees make terrible mistakes they pay for it. Obviously though you can't replay the game.

No they can't -

Everton boss David Moyes on Villa's penalty in the 3-3 draw: "I don't want to criticise the referee as the FA has got enough of my money.

That's the latest example of a manager knowing they can't say anything about a referee without being punished.

dogpile wrote: »

That's not what this is about at all, it is about how he (among others) was so disrespectful.
    You can't honestly say, as a football fan, this seems ok to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Drogba is actually my pet hate of sorts.

He is one big guy. Yet he goes down the moment you look at him in a funny way. He feigns injury all the time. He is a horrible time waster if suits. He always has this sulky face on him as if this all is really beneath him. And he doesn't need to do all that because he actually has the ability to be a great player without that kind of sh1t. But he choses the be the guy he is. There you go. And then there was yesterday which showed another not so admirable side of his.

I think he represents all the bad traits of the modern professional footballer. Don't know about him personally, obviously, he might be a sound guy, but I really hate him as a player.

Ballack is not far behind although usually not half as bad as Drogba. Probably just does what he thinks is professional conduct. But yesterday I would have loved to see him being sent off. And I reckon a more experienced/stronger ref would have done just that without hesitation. I would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

With all this Drogba bashing going on, I think it's important that we don't lose sight of what's really important.

Hating Ashley Cole.

No they can't -

Everton boss David Moyes on Villa's penalty in the 3-3 draw: "I don't want to criticise the referee as the FA has got enough of my money.

That's the latest example of a manager knowing they can't say anything about a referee without being punished.

Managers criticise referees all the time. Will Hiddink be fined for what he said last night and today?

It's a question of degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote: »
    I'm sorry, there's an extremely simple way to stop this which nobody talks about. The reason nobody challenges anyone in rugby is because if you did, you'd be off the pitch.

There is absolutely no reason why Ballack should not have had a straight red card for what he did. The same is true of Ballack.
    If you did that, nobody would ever do it again.

Too true, and it is worth saying twice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

For people calling Chelsea a 'disgrace' you need to review what happened again.

3 players were the bad eggs, not all of them. The supporters didn't riot/throw coins. Not all the players abused the ref, some Chelsea players were pushing Drogba away from the ref.

I can guarantee you, everything time a penalty is turned down, we have people ranting and raving at their TV's/on internet forums. Imagine being a player in front of millions watching the game. I can understand the frustration, but they lost it right at the death, they didn't abuse the ref when he turned down the other 3.

For 90 minutes they worked their socks off defending Barcelona, I can see why they'd be angry. Drogba and Ballack should be punished, but not hated. Missing a Champions League final and whatever UEFA decides is punishment enough.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Drogba ... should be punished, but not hated.

Not sure about that. And I'm not talking about yesterday....

• Advertisement

The_Coon wrote: »
    With all this Drogba bashing going on, I think it's important that we don't lose sight of what's really important.

Hating Ashley Cole.

And Ronaldo of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

realcam wrote: »
    Not sure about that. And I'm not talking about yesterday....

People make mistakes. My anger has caused me to get in trouble once or twice aswell.

How many people have called a referee 'a f****** disgrace' or screamed in someones face? It happens. UEFA will punish them, deservedly so, but when they do it's time to put it to bed.

People make mistakes. My anger has caused me to get in trouble once or twice aswell.

How many people have called a referee 'a f****** disgrace' or screamed in someones face? It happens. UEFA will punish them, deservedly so, but when they do it's time to put it to bed.

Yeah but how many footballers shout that down a camera to a world wide audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

How many people have called a referee 'a f****** disgrace' or screamed in someones face?

I havent anyway. Any for many years playing rugby I never saw anybody doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

For people calling Chelsea a 'disgrace' you need to review what happened again.

3 players were the bad eggs, not all of them. The supporters didn't riot/throw coins. Not all the players abused the ref, some Chelsea players were pushing Drogba away from the ref.

I can guarantee you, everything time a penalty is turned down, we have people ranting and raving at their TV's/on internet forums. Imagine being a player in front of millions watching the game. I can understand the frustration, but they lost it right at the death, they didn't abuse the ref when he turned down the other 3.

For 90 minutes they worked their socks off defending Barcelona, I can see why they'd be angry. Drogba and Ballack should be punished, but not hated. Missing a Champions League final and whatever UEFA decides is punishment enough.

3 players is a very high percentage (27% to be precise) very few teams have one bad egg, so no defence there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

From the Mourinho era on, the Frisk saga, the constant and incessant hounding of referees over every little decision in every single game, having that disgrace Drogba on the payroll, the microphones in the Man Utd dressing room and on and on to last night's disgraceful scenes...the integrity of the whole club really should be called into question.

+1 . Terry, Drogba, Ballack in particular have no respect and it all goes back to mourinho indulging and supporting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Surely not just a Chelsea phenomenon. I would have thought this sort of caper was introduced by ManU. I seem to remember some tasty scenes of refs being hounded by Roy Keane and his pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Remember Rafa made a big deal about Drogba's diving before a Champions League game a year or 2 ago? Drogba made a point of not diving, used his strenght to hold players off, got a goal and celebrated right in front of rafa. He was man of the match and played one of his best games for Chelsea!
    Why the hell doesn't he do this all the time?! I'm sure defenders would rather he dived all the time instead of use his power to brush them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

SectionF wrote: »
    Surely not just a Chelsea phenomenon. I would have thought this sort of caper was introduced by ManU. I seem to remember some tasty scenes of refs being hounded by Roy Keane and his pack.

SShhh.....none of that:rolleyes:

And it's something he has the good sense to be extremely embarrassed about today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

And it's something he has the good sense to be extremely embarrassed about today.
    I'm sure Drogba and the other goons also will be mortified in 10 years, when systematic gamesmanship doesn't offer them the same rewards.

I'm sure Drogba and the other goons also will be mortified in 10 years, when systematic gamesmanship doesn't offer them the same rewards.

I've mentioned karma before in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Enough calling drogba a disgrace..The real disgrace are These so called "Fans", There Facebook groups btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hiddink is the disgrace imo, Drogba has the sense to apologise, Hiddink shows a distinct lack of class by defending him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement