Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finance options for masters part time

• 07-05-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking of going back to do a masters this September. Alot of the masters i am interested in range from 5k-10k per year, which i simply cant afford. Do you know if it is possible with any of the universities to spread the cost over the year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

John, if as your avatar suggests, you were born in 81, you should be entitled to a grant as a mature student. Investigate that. Might help if you gave a bit more detail into the courses you were looking at.

I'm pretty sure you can pay half prior to starting the first term and the second half before the second term in most colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

ixus wrote: »
    John, if as your avatar suggests, you were born in 81, you should be entitled to a grant as a mature student. Investigate that. Might help if you gave a bit more detail into the courses you were looking at.

I'm pretty sure you can pay half prior to starting the first term and the second half before the second term in most colleges.

correct on the age... but can you apply for the mature grant if your already working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

jon1981 wrote: »
    correct on the age... but can you apply for the mature grant if your already working?

I doubt it!

But you can claim tax relief at the standard rate up to E5000 (I think) - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

http://www.studentfinance.ie/ is a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cunniny3

You will only get the grant if you do the course full-time, not if you do it part time.

You can apply for tax back on fees.

Most universities look for half the fees at the beginning of the first semester, and half at the beginning of the second semester.

Advertisement