Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare payments for Communions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Jonathan wrote: »
    Are you the fella that was saying you would be flying over to Spain or somewhere to buy cigarettes to avoid paying tax?

I think you were.

You have no right to be complaining because it isn't your money that they are giving out to people on SW.

I think I've a right to discuss how the tens of thousands the government
    takes from me each year as income tax/PRSI/health levy is spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yep, there's nothing as Catholic as a load of parents trying to outspend another bunch of parents for a religious ceremony. It's as close as Ireland can get to those ridiculous American style paedo glamour-fest kiddie beauty pageants.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Biggins wrote: »
    If they are subsidising these "cultural" events, can't other recognised religious organisations then claim religious discrimination if theirs aren't as subsidised equally or at all?

Just a thought...

They could be further opening Pandora's box with this one!

(I await the usual AH jokes about Pandora's box) :pac:

Well, its already open and has been for a while now.

Having said that, I doubt Muslims can claim Ramadan as a ancient Irish tradition or Hindu's claim Diwali as one either. This is what seperates the 2 in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Eh hello!?
    Sunbeds and Limo's don't pay for themselves you know and what Jamelanie wants Jamelanie gets!

Its like Christmas...gone too commeeershal tbh

HA LOL!!! Thats pretty funny!
    I have a daughter for communion next Saturday, but I have my college final exams on wednesday and the following Monday so she told me last night she didnt care if we didnt have a party or got all dressed up. She said she will wear my sisters old communion dress (my sister is 10 so its not really that old) its is perfect condition, worn for 1 hour in total and she called my aunt while I was studying and asked for a loan of her daughters communion shoes from last year!!
    She than called my Mum and asked her could she go to her house after for a little party because I would be too busy to arrange anything.

I was in total shock!!! She is an amazing little girl.. Sorted the whole thing herself!!! We are going to have a big party for her with all the family but she isnt expecting any of it...

Im a single parent and had my daughter very young 16 and I am still in college so Im sure I woud get "Communion money"!!! from the good honest hard working tax payer... but for what???
    THE CHURCH DOESNT CHARGE AT THE DOOR .. and there are thousands of Communion dresses and suits hanging in homes all over the country that kids can wear.
    Are we that proud that we would never dream of wearing a second hand dress.. BUT rather hold our head up high while lining up in the local welfare office to beg for money to go out and buy a new dress.. BULL SH1T
    COP ON PEOPLE.. TEACH YOUR KIDS SOME LIFE LESSIONS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

wes wrote: »
    Well, its already open and has been for a while now.

Having said that, I doubt Muslims can claim Ramadan as a ancient Irish tradition or Hindu's claim Diwali as one either. This is what separates the 2 in my mind.

Good point and while I agree with you, JUST from a devils advocate point of view I ponder the question, as we are allowing into the country other cultures/religions, etc more so now a days, wouldn't us just handing out money to more original "Irish" based cultures/religions be also seen in a discriminatory light?

Sooner or later, someone with a stick up their backside, might take such an issue up with the European Court of Human Rights!

(just thoughts crossing through my empty mind!) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Biggins wrote: »
    Good point and while I agree with you, JUST from a devils advocate point of view I ponder the question, as we are allowing into the country other cultures/religions, etc more so now a days, wouldn't us just handing out money to more original "Irish" based cultures/religions be also seen in a discriminatory light?

Sooner or later, someone with a stick up their backside, might take such an issue up with the European Court of Human Rights!

(just thoughts crossing through my empty mind!) :D

Sure, someone may do that, but until most of the population start celebrating Diwali or Ramadan, i think there case will be on shakey ground. Also, the payment seems to apply to all "exceptional circumstances", so I take it that the law already covers such an eventuallity.

Also, I would assume that other groups can join in on most of the other cultural amenities. They can't all be based on soley on Catholicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

madonna123 wrote: »
    I have a daughter for communion next Saturday, but I have my college final exams on wednesday and the following Monday so she told me last night she didnt care if we didnt have a party or got all dressed up. She said she will wear my sisters old communion dress (my sister is 10 so its not really that old) its is perfect condition, worn for 1 hour in total and she called my aunt while I was studying and asked for a loan of her daughters communion shoes from last year!!
    She than called my Mum and asked her could she go to her house after for a little party because I would be too busy to arrange anything.

I was in total shock!!! She is an amazing little girl.. Sorted the whole thing herself!!! We are going to have a big party for her with all the family but she isnt expecting any of it...

Im a single parent and had my daughter very young 16 and I am still in college so Im sure I woud get "Communion money"!!! from the good honest hard working tax payer... but for what???
    THE CHURCH DOESNT CHARGE AT THE DOOR .. and there are thousands of Communion dresses and suits hanging in homes all over the country that kids can wear.
    Are we that proud that we would never dream of wearing a second hand dress.. BUT rather hold our head up high while lining up in the local welfare office to beg for money to go out and buy a new dress.. BULL SH1T

fair play Madge, your daughter sounds like a sensible young lady.
    But the pressure people put themselves under for the kids communion is ridiculous, its not the kids who want most of that ****e imo. The parents are a lot to blame.
    And by the parents I mean solely those who go in for the bollocks of the diamante tiara's faux wedding dresses, false tan/ sunbeds and limo's.....fookin madness!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The costs are high but this is a joke.

My son will make his communion next weekend. The cost for the suit etc was €300. Being a child of single parents etc he could get this payment but to be honest I wouldn't even entertain looking for this. I worked my a$$ off and saved for a few months and got him his suit and all and I am glad I am paying for it, next year my nephew will be making his communion and can wear it if need be.

If these types of claims continue to be entertained this country is going to collapse further into debt and pretty quickly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

madonna123 wrote: »

I wish there were more single mothers like you. Your daughter gets here savvy from you, no doubt ;)

Your post really is a beacon of light on Boards. Most of the time we just hear/read about people scrounging and screwing the system.

Thanks - and hopefully you will do well in your exams :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

lets face it, if your ancestor's had taken the soup all those years ago there would be no need for any of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lets face it, if your ancestor's had taken the soup all those years ago there would be no need for any of this :D

It'll be too hot for soup where you're going.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

wes wrote: »
    Well, to be fair while this is a religous ceremony, its also a cultural one. So I don't see the issue with the government subsidising it. They do this kind of things of cultural activities I assume from time to time.

How one can arrive at such an opinion I don't know.
    Communion and confirmation are religious activities. And they have become a ridiculous show of parents outdoing each other with regards to sprucing up their little brats. I can't believe the state actually subsidies that but then not much surprises me anymore...

Advertisement