Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance question

Options
  • 07-05-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently I got my home insurance renewal notice with a booklet containing some changes to the exisiting policy. The booklet states the following

Water or oil leaking from any washing machine or any other fixed domestic appliance.
    This does not include loss or damage:
    • to walls, ceilings and tiles caused by the ingress of water from shower units and/or baths; or
    • to the system or appliance from which the water or oil has escaped.

And also I was talking to another insurance provider, they say that Water leak/escape from bath/shower due to faulty seals, grouting or faulty joints will NOT be covered.

I'm wondering what kind of water leaks are covered by the insurance. I understand they cover leaks caused due to burst pipes in cold weather but as far I know most common water leaks are from bath/showers due to faulty seals or grouting, Why this is not covered?
    Is there any insurance provided who cover all kinds of water/oil leaks? If I pay more premium do they cover it?

Thanks
    G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

No home insurance policy covers damage as a result of a gradually operating cause, which in effect means a minor but continuous incident which over a period of time can cause severe damage.

Am example would be a drip coming from a radiator on to a carpet, or the leaky shower. If you deal with it promptly, no damage will occur. However, if you let the leak continue, the carpet will eventually rot. Some people think insurance will cover their lack of maintenance of the property and it does not (nor should it). The cover is for once off incidents that cause damage.

Rather that say gradually operating cause, your insurers are trying to reword your policy in plain English so there is no confusion, but it is nothing really new.

The 2nd bullet point reconfirms that the cover if for damage caused by the escape of water and not to the appliance itself, as it has probably just worn out

You will find that these clauses are universal but in different formats for each insurer.

Advertisement