Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luas Tickets - Cheaper to get the Smart Card of weekly?

• 07-05-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Simple enough, i pay 19 quid for a trip from stephans green to Sandyford for the 7 days. Of course i only use it 5 days a week but its still a bit less than paying the 4.30 return each day.

I was looking at the smart card option but i really cant tell if its cheaper or not to get the weekly or get that little card. Can anyone shed some light on it?

With the weekly it works out at 1.90 per trip. What would it cost on the smart card thing?

Of course, this luas is a COMPLETE RIP OFF.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

i have NO idea.

It shows for one trip on the central line. What god damn use is that?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

There really should be a greater saving when using the smart card. Like in London a single tube journey is £4 compared to £1 on the oyster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From the LUAS Website - http://www.luas.ie/ul/336.pdf

St Stephen's Green - Sandyford (3 Zones on Green Line):
    Smartcard Fare: EUR 2.00 per single journey regardless of when you travel
    Cash Fare: EUR 2.30 single (EUR 2.40 morning peak) / EUR 4.30 return

Therefore 5 return trips with a smartcard will cost EUR 20 - more than the price of a 7-day 3 zone ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Luas weekly tickets are set at about the same as 4 return tickets. Monthly / 30 day tickets are set at at about the same as 4 weekly tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I really don't get why they can't just say one day, right we're going to do what the public want us to and make the smartcard cheaper than weekly tickets. Surely it's a case of someone writing up a bit of code for their systems or whatever. Do they not know that the current system makes no sense!? Why does this country move at a glacial pace!? :pac::pac::pac:

I have no idea. The Luas is a total rip off anyway. I was on the underground at christmas in London, and it was fabulous. Cheap, more fun, more security, far more often, oh... did i say CHEAP?

They make a bloody fortune off the luas. What are the government going to do about it??? Nothing of course!!

Africa wrote: »
    I have no idea. The Luas is a total rip off anyway. I was on the underground at christmas in London, and it was fabulous. Cheap, more fun, more security, far more often, oh... did i say CHEAP?

They make a bloody fortune off the luas. What are the government going to do about it??? Nothing of course!!

The reality is that London fares are heavily subsidised and there is a congestion charge in place that also subsidises them.

If you want cheap fares then something else is going to have to give way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheap - only if you use an Oyster. Horrific fares otherwise
    More fun - not really something I consider important for public transport.

A single zone fare is FOUR POUNDS if you don't use an Oyster card. Its many, many times more expensive than the Luas. Oyster fares are about the same zone for zone as the Luas cash fares.

KC61 - LU isn't subsidised (offically, infrastructurially it might be but so is Luas) - hence its horribly expensive. Of course, the Luas isn't subsidised and turns a profit..

MYOB wrote: »

A single zone fare is FOUR POUNDS if you don't use an Oyster card. Its many, many times more expensive than the Luas. Oyster fares are about the same zone for zone as the Luas cash fares.

KC61 - LU isn't subsidised (offically, infrastructurially it might be but so is Luas) - hence its horribly expensive. Of course, the Luas isn't subsidised and turns a profit..

I was referring to Oystercard prices!

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote: »
    I was referring to Oystercard prices!

I don't think they're subsidised for LU either - they make them cheaper as theres far reduced cash handling and staffing costs...

MYOB wrote: »

Actually - the 4 pound one covers 2 zones, well enough if you are staying in the CC. Not only that but it has unlimited use all day. we used it like 10 times in a day, maybe more, and travelled the majority of london with the interconnecting lines.

Yes, the Oyster card is what im referring to as well, because it is a lot cheaper. The Smart Card is supposed to be the equivalent? Not even close. There are no people to deal with except for the odd ticket inspector and still it remains at 4.30 for a return to Sandyford from Stephans green. Costs the same in London for unlimited use all day one more than one line in 2 zones - which are a hell of a lot bigger than the joke that the Luas has. (on that note What the hell is Stephans Green to Charlemont?!? How is that one zone?!?)

Im getting annoyed now at the terrible infrastructure and rip off of transport in this country!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Actually - the 4 pound one covers 2 zones, well enough if you are staying in the CC. Not only that but it has unlimited use all day. we used it like 10 times in a day, maybe more, and travelled the majority of london with the interconnecting lines.

Yes, the Oyster card is what im referring to as well, because it is a lot cheaper. The Smart Card is supposed to be the equivalent? Not even close. There are no people to deal with except for the odd ticket inspector and still it remains at 4.30 for a return to Sandyford from Stephans green. Costs the same in London for unlimited use all day one more than one line in 2 zones - which are a hell of a lot bigger than the joke that the Luas has. (on that note What the hell is Stephans Green to Charlemont?!? How is that one zone?!?)

Im getting annoyed now at the terrible infrastructure and rip off of transport in this country!!!!

you must be referring to the off-peak travelcard there that you use all day long, not much use if you want to go to work at a normal time when the 1zone fare is £4, the people who are whinging about the amount of time it's taken for the introduction of an oyster style card will, mark my words, be the same people that will whinge when the cash fares rise to the same level as London when the smart card is introduced.

Except that for one zone, you have to pay £4 as it is. No lower option. A one day unlimited, 4 zone, both line Luas ticket is E5.30, by the way.

Green to Charlemont is the southern end of a Central zone that happens to cover Museum to Connolly on the other line too.

London is not the magical wonderful cheap transport city you got the impression on from one trip. Public transport is more expensive across the board in the UK than here.

Advertisement