Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've never posted in the gardening section before.

I bought a tomato plant, and within a few days of getting it home,
    there appears to be some leaf damage, and it's getting worse.

If you could at the picture, could you tell me what the culprit is?

I've seen what I could only describe as tiny tiny bugs, less than 0.5 mm in width, and 1.5mm in length,
    you really have to be looking to spot them. Could they be the trouble maker?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

more than likely greenfly..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i was going to say whitefly actually.

where are you growing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Just the one plant on the window ledge,
    between the kitchen sink and window.

What bottle of stuff should I buy and spray,
    or is there a more organic solution?

Maybe a few Basil plants,
    and put the Tomato plant in a plastic bag, with one ladybug.

if it's greenfly, i find it good just to keep a close on plants and wipe them away with a damp cloth.

there are a number of remedies you can get, but I don't use anything if I really don't have to.

These things are tiny, so small I can't even get a good shot of them with the macro function of the camera.

• Advertisement

could be white fly then. maybe try turning off the flash. both greenfly and whitefly secrete a sticky substance that creates a shine when you use flash.

as your keeping the plant indoors it rules out most of the usual. is your house overly warm of humid btw? your not over or under watering either?

it's probably the bugs. get a J cloth, wet it and wioe down the leaves and stems regularly and see if it improves is my advice for now anyways dude

Cheers dude

Just a jay cloth? drop of water, grand.

Advertisement