Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part Replaced under Warranty goes again

• 07-05-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Garage say I have to pay for second replacement. I was of the impression that the warranty would restart with the new part i.e. that I would be covered for the second replacement. Anyone any experience of this? It wasnt a huge part but with labour it comes to €170 in total for the job. It went the second time outside of the original one year warranty.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What was the part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

There should be a warranty on new parts, it would start from installation.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

It was the resistor on the air conditioning switch that went. The air con only ran at full speed or not at all..The whole switch was replaced though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Qprmeath wrote: »

How long did the replacement part last for OP before it failed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Should be covered if it only lasted a very short time regardless of original warranty.
    Was it a new part that was fitted?

• Advertisement

Silly as it may sound, any part replaced within warranty period are only covered until the original warranty runs out. That was at least the case with one particular make (can't remember which).

The replacement of the replacement should then have a normal parts warranty (2 years normally). However, if the replacement of replacement fails again the warranty will run out again after 2 years counting from the part you paid for last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Yes it was replaced with a new part. The replacement lasted roughly 8/9 months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Whats the car?? Heater resistor plug is easily replaced if it is a focus, did the wifeys one in her car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Parts replaced under warranty DO NOT have a fresh warranty period. Think about it - the part is replaced under the original warranty. Silly as it may sound but that is the case. You get warranty/guarantee on stuff you buy that has a warranty period. If something goes faulty it is repaired under the terms of the original warranty and no new warranty is implied.

That said, if a fault is repaired but then recurs later outside the initial warranty period (within a reasonable timeframe) it would be poor customer relations for any dealer/manufacturer not to step up to plate and repair it free of charge. In this instance the repair is covered by goodwill which is a completely different concept to warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

If you paid any money (parts or labour) towards the original replacement then there is an additional warranty. However, if it was replaced free of charge under warranty then the original warranty is all that applies.

I had an absolute nightmare car a few years ago and remember reading up on forums about this and this was one of the things that I learned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement