Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new phone w/ music and camera

• 07-05-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

My Sony Ericsson K850i seems to be on the way out... bit of a p1ss off after buying it SIM Free 14 months ago.

Anyways, a few things have always bugged me about it, so I'd be happy enough to move on.

I want a phone with a good quality camera - K850i has a 5MP camera, but the new one doesn't necessarily have to be that high.

Also a good MP3 player to be included. I've an 8GB M2 memory card so I'd like to be able to use that in the new phone.

Apart from that... just a solid reliable phone that won't break the bank.

Any suggestions or happy stories from people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Also a good MP3 player to be included. I've an 8GB M2 memory card so I'd like to be able to use that in the new phone.

It'll have to a Sony Ericsson anyway if you want to use the M2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It'll have to a Sony Ericsson anyway if you want to use the M2

Aye, but I'd still consider dumping the M2 and switching brands if it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Aye, but I'd still consider dumping the M2 and switching brands if it was worth it.

I have a Nokia N95 (the old one not the new N95 8 gig). I've just upgraded the firmware and now it takes a 16 GB micro SD card. Great music player with a connection for a standard size headphone jack and a decent 5 megapixel camera on it too. Pick up a 2nd hand one for around the hundred euro mark on ebay if you're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

The samsung toco is quality, unbelievable picture quality! Touch screen is cool too, easy to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sony W705? meant to be a great walkman and it's got wifi

I'd be intrested to know if the bbc iplayer works on it over here...

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/sonyericsson/sonyericssonw705/sonyericssonw705reviews/218648/sony_ericsson_w705_review.html

It's €229 on 3 pay as you go, not sure about the price on other networks ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Aye, thinking about the N95 alright... I actually chose my SE over it at the time! maybe a bad choice...

I'm with Meteor and probably limiting myself to €170-200 at most... though the €100 N95 sounds quite appealing!!

Any tips for buying phones off eBay beyond seller reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I got the SE C905 and couldn't recommend it enough. It has a 8MP camera and wifi. The mp3 player function would be the same as your previous phone.

Aye, thinking about the N95 alright... I actually chose my SE over it at the time! maybe a bad choice...

I'm with Meteor and probably limiting myself to €170-200 at most... though the €100 N95 sounds quite appealing!!

Any tips for buying phones off eBay beyond seller reputation?

I bought a broken one for 80 euro then bought a cracked screen for 20 euro (dead easy to install) and a whole new case for 10 euro and put it together. Quality brand new looking phone for 110 euro

waraf wrote: »
    I bought a broken one for 80 euro then bought a cracked screen for 20 euro (dead easy to install) and a whole new case for 10 euro and put it together. Quality brand new looking phone for 110 euro

Anything to look out for with the ebay phones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

I have a Nokia N95 (the old one not the new N95 8 gig). I've just upgraded the firmware and now it takes a 16 GB micro SD card. Great music player with a connection for a standard size headphone jack and a decent 5 megapixel camera on it too.

Same. Agreed, it is a great media player and a great camera (considering its a phone) but I've had mine for a little over a year now and the battery is completely munted... very annoying to have to charge the phone pretty much every day :mad:

Anyone know how much n95 replacement batteries are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anything to look out for with the ebay phones?

The seller first off. Check the amount of sells he has. The amount of positive feedback and in the past few months. What negative feedback the seller has.

Is the phone unlocked? Brand new? Different specs than the manufactures specs often a give away. Something like has touch screen, when it should not. Amazing how many times people buy them not realising. Check the pictures carefully, and that the spec says its a working phone, and not just a demo model that looks perfect but doesn't actually work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

n85 8bg here, love it

Anyone know how much n95 replacement batteries are?

About 7 euro including delivery on ebay

n85 8bg here, love it

Is it true the 8GB doesn't have a slot for an sd card? If it's true it seems a bit ridiculous buying it when its predecessor takes a 16 gig card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is it true the 8GB doesn't have a slot for an sd card? If it's true it seems a bit ridiculous buying it when its predecessor takes a 16 gig card

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

About 7 euro including delivery on ebay

Really? that cheap. Are they genuine nokia batteries, tho?

I got a not so genuine charger a few months back.... a lot cheaper but then the connector nib at the top snapped off after a couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

Really? that cheap. Are they genuine nokia batteries, tho?

I got a not so genuine charger a few months back.... a lot cheaper but then the connector nib at the top snapped off after a couple of weeks!:rolleyes:

No the genuine batteries are a little more starting at around 13 - 14 euro delivered. Type "Genuine Nokia BL-5F battery" into ebay and you'll get plenty of hits. Word of warning; always read the text very carefully in ebay auctions and make sure you read it all. Also, in my experience, many items shipped out of Hong Kong are cheap replicas so be extra careful if the item location is HK.

Either that or go to batterycity.ie and buy a compatible battery on there for about 6 euro plus shipping. At least they're Irish and you can return stuff within 30 days if it's faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Lushed1

I own a nokia n95 8gb and it's by far the best phone i've ever used. I owned an iphone too and it didn't do it for me. If your going to buy n95 of ebay just google 'fake n95' first and you'll see the difference between them. Noticed alot of fake ones on ebay recently. Anyway great phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blanc

THe c902 looks sweet as ! Sony are pretty cool for music buti am not sure about their camera quality.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2008/07/13/Sony-Ericsson-C902/p1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Just a few words of advice:

Sony Ericsson phones are generally phones that play music and have good cameras. They may have other hardware things; in fact, the list of features on a mobile provider's website might actually lead you to believe that they're quite the packet; but they're still just a phone.

An N95 is a mobile computer.

Choose your weapon wisely.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Just a few words of advice:

Sony Ericsson phones are generally phones that play music and have good cameras. They may have other hardware things; in fact, the list of features on a mobile provider's website might actually lead you to believe that they're quite the packet; but they're still just a phone.

An N95 is a mobile computer.

Choose your weapon wisely.

Elaborate... :)

Well, let me give you an example--

The C905 has a 146Mhz ARM9 processor.

The N95 has a 332Mhz ARM11 dual-core processor.

Megahertz aren't the absolute, but it gives a pretty strong indication.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Well, let me give you an example--

The C905 has a 146Mhz ARM9 processor.

The N95 has a 332Mhz ARM11 dual-core processor.

Megahertz aren't the absolute, but it gives a pretty strong indication.

I still don't quite see your point though...? :confused:

Uh, right. A Sony Ericsson would probably suffice then.

Advertisement