Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Price Drops in Southside Apartments today

Options
  • 07-05-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Wyckham Point, Dundrum - New Prices: 1 beds from 249k, 2 beds from 339k

The Gallops, Leopardstown - New Prices: 1 beds from 250k, 2 beds from 275k

Rockbrook, South Central, Sandyford - New Prices: 1 beds from 225k, 2 beds from 295k

Belarmine, Stepaside - New Prices: 1 beds from 195k, 2 beds from 270k (limited amount left)

I haven't quoted the peak of the bubble prices, just the new revised prices.

This is quite a co-ordinated large drop in prices for developments in prime locations. It brings apartment prices down to what could be considered a very affordable level and attractive level. I would imagine that this will entice many prospective buyers off the fence, and just might result in a resumption of sales.

But will these new lower prices represent the bottom of the market? Or will new buyers of these fall into negative equity, just like the people who bought in these developments during the peak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Will the market continue to fall? Yes.

Just look at unemployment - it's expected to reach 16% and they're not even sure if that will be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

no, they represent a small scratching of the surface.

As previously mentioned by Xiney.

Unemployment is accelerating.

All the new levy's will be in place this month etc leaving people with less money, looks like we're going to see more of them in janaury and people are very unsure about their job security.

there is not one single thing pointing to the bottom, much the opposite.

how does 8/9 times the avg ind wage for a 1 bed apartment represent any sort of value?

long long way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Who will buy a 1bed at those prices?

Most would look at least getting a 2bed for the space alone and those prices are laughable.

You are extremely optimistic leonardjos assuming that these prices will get buyers off the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

leonardjos wrote: »
    Wyckham Point, Dundrum - 1 beds from 249k, 2 beds from 339k

The Gallops, Leopardstown - 1 beds from 250k, 2 beds froms 275k

Rockbrook, South Central, Sandyford - 1 beds from 225k, 2 beds from 295k

Belarmine, Stepaside - 1 beds from 195k, 2 beds from 270k (limited amount left)

This is quite a co-ordinated large drop in prices for developments in prime locations. It brings apartment prices down to what could be considered a very affordable level and attractive level. I would imagine that this will entice many prospective buyers off the fence, and just might result in a resumption of sales.

But will these new lower prices represent the bottom of the market? Or will new buyers of these fall into negative equity, just like the people who bought in these developments during the peak?

Vested interest or ignorant of basic economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭leonardjos

Vested interest or ignorant of basic economics?

I'm a prospective buyer, my only vested interest is to buy at the bottom of the market. I'm not saying that this is the bottom, rather I'm posing the question whether people think it is or not.

I'd also be interested to hear if any posters are going to give any serious thought to buying one of these apartments. I'm sure many people feel that these are the kind of price drops that they've been waiting for.

In any event, i'm pleased to see some real price drops happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, my opinion probably doesn't matter too much since I'm hoping to get out of Ireland soon and wouldn't be looking to buy,

but if I was you better believe I'd be waiting until at least the employment situation had started improving. Getting a mortgage while unemployment is still rising is like throwing an anchor overboard while blindfolded and hoping your ankle's not tangled in the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Still way overpriced. A couple of hundred grand for a one bed just doesn't stack up. Massive reality check still pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

A quater of a million for a shoebox 1 Bed that you'll never be able to sell on again is laughable.

a problem for a lot of people is looking at the previous asking

WAS 339 NOW 239K GET DOWN THIS WEEKEND ONLY HARVEY NORMAN BLAH BLAH BLAH

The problem is that 339 wasn't realistic in the first place so the previous asking price is irrelevant.

When you can buy a solid(lol) 1 bed apt in a nice enough area at around 2X's the avg ind wage then we can start talking about some value..

so your looking realistically at around 65-75k for a 1bed apt.

and a 3 bed house at around 115-130k or there about's

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

It doesn't look like these builders are feeling the pinch yet with those prices and what's with the 'from'? They either are or they are not at that price assuming the size is not hughely different. OP if you are thinking of buying, offer them 2/3rds the value taking into account the potential drop again next year.

I also find it interesting that most are trying to hid the published cost. I had a look on myhome earlier today for new homes in Dublin and 90% of them had "price on application" displayed...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Wyckham Point, Dundrum - 1 beds from 249k, 2 beds from 339k

The Gallops, Leopardstown - 1 beds from 250k, 2 beds froms 275k

Rockbrook, South Central, Sandyford - 1 beds from 225k, 2 beds from 295k

Belarmine, Stepaside - 1 beds from 195k, 2 beds from 270k (limited amount left)

I presume these are the totally shocking peak/bubble/2006 prices?

What are the new prices after the price drops on these developments to bring them to the realistically affordable levels you refer to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭leonardjos

spockety wrote: »
    I presume these are the totally shocking peak/bubble/2006 prices?

No you've mis-read the posting. These are the new latest prices. The 'from' is the way that the developers have listed the prices. Meaning that not all apartments on sale are at this price, some are higher.

I didn't quote the peak prices, largely because they are irrelevant.

But I guess it proves a certain point if some people think these are the crazy peak bubble prices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 adrem

Prices may well come from current levels but anyone who expects to buy a 1 bed in Stepaside for 60-75k or a 3 bed for 115k will be waiting !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

No you've mis-read the posting. These are the new latest prices. The 'from' is the way that the developers have listed the prices. Meaning that not all apartments on sale are at this price, some are higher.

I didn't quote the peak prices, largely because they are irrelevant.

But I guess it proves a certain point if some people think these are the crazy peak bubble prices :D

Ah I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic in my post. Lowest form of wit and all that, pity there is no 'sarcy' smiley face to let people know.

But yes it gets across my point that those prices are still off the chart mental by any stretch of the imagination. Good luck to them selling them. At least if a load of suckers buy up these 1 and 2 bed apartments in South Dublin it will help pick up the pace of the crash a bit more, because you can be sure if there's a first wave of tools willing to buy at those prices, there is certainly enough supply to ensure there won't be a second wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Xiney wrote: »
    Will the market continue to fall? Yes.

Just look at unemployment - it's expected to reach 16% and they're not even sure if that will be the end of it.

.....that and immigrants leaving daily, the largest amount of rental properties available,the lack of loans avaialbler and consumer confidence on the floor, yes, the market will continue to hit the deck - or have a soft landing/advanced price correction! LOL:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ntlbell's figures have always been as ridiculous as the prices at the peak of the bubble.

astrofool wrote: »
    ntlbell's figures have always been as ridiculous as the prices at the peak of the bubble.

You're contribution is always welcome.

Thanks for taken the time.

adrem wrote: »
    Prices may well come from current levels but anyone who expects to buy a 1 bed in Stepaside for 60-75k or a 3 bed for 115k will be waiting !

I don't think I mentioned stepaside at all, did i?

.....that and immigrants leaving daily, the largest amount of rental properties available,the lack of loans avaialbler and consumer confidence on the floor, yes, the market will continue to hit the deck - or have a soft landing/advanced price correction! LOL:D:D

yes but this is all only exclusive to the north side of dublin

the south side IS DIFFERENT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 homme d'affaire

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    It doesn't look like these builders are feeling the pinch yet with those prices

Sure why would they? The banks aren't coming down hard on them, all the debts are with NAMA now. The higher prices stay, the closer they (NAMA) get to being paid their €90 billion debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Ah Janey, these threads are becoming ten a penny around here and yet poster after poster are asking the same inane 'is this the lowest price we'll pay' question.

Do people not look on DAFT, like I do every day (and many Accom&Prop posters, alot of whom have posted in this particular thread). DAFT isnt some ambiguous complicated website to decipher 'Found 74,175 Matches. Showing matches 1 to 10 below '

Price corrections in property markets happen over a number of years, not weeks/months...the price rises to the peak took ten years, the price fall will be faster but there is still 3 years to go before we see things really and truly hit ze bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

In three years time these apts will be 30% less on average at current rates of decline

If unemployment figures have stabilized then once the 1 bed hits 175k and the 2 bed 230k then buy buy buy....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think everyone likes to ask the question themselves, even if it has been asked a thousand times before. Just look at the Investments Forum and the amount of threads started on 'Is now a good time to buy bank shares?'

The only advise I'd give is if you have anything between the ears at all, use it. Everyone's going to have an opinion (wheter they have vested interests or not), but at the end of the day the buck stops with you. I didn't listen to the 4 out of 5 people telling me to buy over the last few years and I'm glad now I stuck to my guns.

As for the MANA from heaven proposal, I can only see it having the effect of using an umbrella as a parachute once you've jumped off a cliff. It'll delay the inevitable slightly but not create a soft landing. As has been said by plenty above, prices are not at the bottom yet and won't be for quite some time.
    Ah Janey, these threads are becoming ten a penny around here and yet poster after poster are asking the same inane 'is this the lowest price we'll pay' question.

Ah, but are they at their lowest yet? ;)

thewing wrote: »

If unemployment figures have stabilized then once the 1 bed hits 175k and the 2 bed 230k then buy buy buy....

You be my guest and buy a 1bed for CIRCA. €175k, my patience will probably yield me a 4bed semi in a leafy suburb for that in a few years.

Ah, but are they at their lowest yet? ;)

But they are not at the lowest price they will pay by waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

buy buy buy....

I wouldn't recommend buying more than one house at a time. It was speculators buying up all the property in the first place that made a big contribution to the bubble.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Sure why would they? The banks aren't coming down hard on them, all the debts are with NAMA now. The higher prices stay, the closer they (NAMA) get to being paid their €90 billion debt.

NAMA does'nt exist yet.:rolleyes:
    Please get your facts right prior to posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

You be my guest and buy a 1bed for CIRCA. €175k, my patience will probably yield me a 4bed semi in a leafy suburb for that in a few years.

The same way people thought there would be no end to the boom, there will be an end to the bust and it will end long before 4bed semi's hit 175k in leafy suburbs.

As someone who has waited for the 8 years for the worm to turn, i'm not stupid enough to think thing are gonna get cheaper than they were in '97...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lol i suppose it depends how long your "few years" is!:D

i personally think Apts have a long way to fall yet, houses maybe not so much, but a bit nonetheless
    I agree that 1 bed apts should not be more than €100k. and that would be in Dublin.

As someone who has waited for the 8 years for the worm to turn, i'm not stupid enough to think thing are gonna get cheaper than they were in '97...

we're at 1998 un employment levels

we could well see 1997 prices + inflation.

what can stop them going past 97 prices?

do you think people only started buying houses in 2001-2007?

• Advertisement

Eh?

I wholly misread your post!

Advertisement