Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i replace/upgrade my broadband router?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Our eircom router has started playing up and is especially in the wireless department giving lots of guff -
    though i work alot with computers and networks i have never done anything with the standard routers apart from setup ip's and nat addressing -
    I am just checkng that I am correct in 'assuming' that any ADSL router will be ok to use and that it doesnt have to be eircom approved / configured?
    thinking of getting:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363&view=links#ProductTabs

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yep, you can use any ADSL broadband combined modem/router with eircom

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jasperok wrote: »
    Our eircom router has started playing up and is especially in the wireless department giving lots of guff -
    though i work alot with computers and networks i have never done anything with the standard routers apart from setup ip's and nat addressing -
    I am just checkng that I am correct in 'assuming' that any ADSL router will be ok to use and that it doesnt have to be eircom approved / configured?
    thinking of getting:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363&view=links#ProductTabs

thanks

When you say its giving you guff have you tried to sort it out? There is the possibility that your wireless problems are caused by a neighbour on the same channel or a wirelss gizmo somewhere in the house so make sure you have looked at any such possibility before splashing out on a new model.

By the way you will not get the benefits of the n standard without an n card on the laptop or pc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just make sure you dont order any of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WAG54G2-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B001IBHVW0

I bought the above modem and my internet drops about 10 times a day since i bought it, the modem software thats installed out of the box is the last version of firmware. It cost 55 Euro in pcworld, avoid this modem like the plaque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Gonzo wrote: »
    just make sure you dont order any of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-WAG54G2-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B001IBHVW0

I bought the above modem and my internet drops about 10 times a day since i bought it, the modem software thats installed out of the box is the last version of firmware. It cost 55 Euro in pcworld, avoid this modem like the plaque.

I didn't realsie plaque was that lethal

sorry I coudn't resist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

oops did it myself
    meant realise, just thought it was funny when I read it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

also be careful if you see something advertised as a 'broadband router' as it will not have a modem built in, even if it tells you it is compatible with dsl, you'll still need a seperate modem which is a real PITA to find out once you've got it home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Is your modem/router dropping the connection (is the DSL light going out)?

Or, is it a wireless problem?

If you can log in to your modem/router with your browser (the IP is usually something like 192.168.1.X)

Can you check which channel you're using. Do a site survey to find which channels are in use near you. Preferable channels are nos. 1, 6 and 11.

Hope this helps.

E

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its http://192.168.1.254 for the Eircom routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

ok to follow up on my original post...

So ordered and installed the router -
    seemed ok - though took longer to sync than usual but worked grand all day
    came into work this morning - no internet
    so logged in to cpanel - all settings unchanged notice the time out is set to 15 minuits - so figure that why it dropped over night - set the timeout to 0
    will not authenticate
    it syncs fine but it seems to be an issue with the authentication
    ie sync light solid green but internet light red
    tried everything i could think of (read random guess's) no good
    so for a finish changed the timeout to 1
    interent fine - but of course drops out when no use for over a minuite
    changed to timeout 4200 (enough to cover a weekend of no use)
    took bloody ages to authenticate
    did eventually but now it looses the internet connection all the time randomly

i dont see why its not set and forget settings...

csn you think of anything i may have configured wrong?

Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

there is no where to enter the dns settings if i have the router/modem setup for PPPoE
    i can set it up for dynamic ip's and have the option to enter primaey and secondary dns but this way there is no space for username and password and an extra field called host name which i dont know what to enter - anyway i am pretty sure i should be running it in PPPoE mode.

any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Civpro

vibe666 wrote: »
    also be careful if you see something advertised as a 'broadband router' as it will not have a modem built in, even if it tells you it is compatible with dsl, you'll still need a seperate modem which is a real PITA to find out once you've got it home. :)

OK, so idiot me has done this. Where do I go from here? Can I use the Eircom router supplied as a modem?

I mainly got the new router for its extended range. It can work as a bridge as well as as a router - if I use it as a bridge, can it work with the Eircom router to give me better coverage around the house?

Ive asked this in the wireless forum so mods can move threads if they feel its duplicating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jasperok wrote: »
    ok to follow up on my original post...

So ordered and installed the router -
    seemed ok - though took longer to sync than usual but worked grand all day
    came into work this morning - no internet
    so logged in to cpanel - all settings unchanged notice the time out is set to 15 minuits - so figure that why it dropped over night - set the timeout to 0
    will not authenticate
    it syncs fine but it seems to be an issue with the authentication
    ie sync light solid green but internet light red
    tried everything i could think of (read random guess's) no good
    so for a finish changed the timeout to 1
    interent fine - but of course drops out when no use for over a minuite
    changed to timeout 4200 (enough to cover a weekend of no use)
    took bloody ages to authenticate
    did eventually but now it looses the internet connection all the time randomly

i dont see why its not set and forget settings...

csn you think of anything i may have configured wrong?

Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

there is no where to enter the dns settings if i have the router/modem setup for PPPoE
    i can set it up for dynamic ip's and have the option to enter primaey and secondary dns but this way there is no space for username and password and an extra field called host name which i dont know what to enter - anyway i am pretty sure i should be running it in PPPoE mode.

any ideas?
    First of all, leave the DNS settings as automatic, no need to manually assign them.

Secondly, the username is eircom@eircom.net and password is broadband1.

VPI 8 and VCI 35 with a PPPoE connection LLC based, everything else automatic.

Advertisement