Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spencer Tunick Exhibition June 8th - A joke

• 07-05-2009 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

Seems that finally we will get to see the work of Mr Tunick. Of course those who believed we would be feasting our eyes on a large prints hanging on a wall, think again... we are getting a website to look at! Seems the rumours of financial disagreements between the Artist and the DDA are true.

here is the body of the email recieved today by all participants.

Dear Spencer Tunick Participant,

We know it's been a long wait for you all, but we can now confirm arrangements for the distribution and exhibition of the Spencer Tunick prints.

The Docklands Authority will be sending the limited edition photographs of the Dublin installation by post to all participants the week commencing the 8th June 2009. Each participant will receive one photograph chosen by the artist from the day they participated - either Saturday on the South Wall or Sunday on the Alto Vetro building on Pearse Street. If you participated on both days you will receive two prints which will be posted to you in separate envelopes. Participants cannot request a different image to the one chosen by the artist. Each photograph will measure 8 x 10 inches and will be printed on the same high quality photographic paper that Spencer Tunick uses for his larger art images.

In light of the current climate, the Docklands Authority and Cork Midsummer Festival have agreed on a new format to exhibit the photographs and videos from the Spencer Tunick Ireland Installations. The two organisations have jointly commissioned the artist to create a new website which will include photographs and video footage taken by Spencer and his crew during both installations. This is the first time Tunick's work will be available exclusively through a website, and presents a new democracy to the exhibition - people from across Ireland and beyond will have the opportunity to 'visit' the exhibition regardless of their location! We feel that this extra documentary material will give added value to the exhibition and will capture the excitement and fun that was generated by the project in Dublin and Cork. The website will go live just after the prints have been received by the participants on the week of 8th June, for a period of four months. Details of the exact web address will be posted to you with the Tunick print.

If your postal address has changed since you filled in the release form last year, please send the correct details to dublindocklands@spencertunickireland.ie as soon as possible, and they will be updated on our database. If for any reason you do not receive your Dublin print please contact the Docklands Authority and not the artist.

Thanks again for your participation in this great project. It was certainly one of the cultural highlights of 2008. We hope that you will enjoy seeing the beautiful works which could not have been created without you!

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority.

"New Democracy...." what cretin thought of that spin !

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

well it is an utter joke. however at least this way ill get to see the photos.and hopefully see what all the fuss is about. tbh the idea of the shoot always seemed a bit pantsman to me.DISCLAiMER: I have yet to see the result....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A load of arse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Borderfox wrote: »

hehehehehe all this *fannying* around waiting for a proper *exhibtition*.tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I dunno about this ,

emperors-new-clothes-crop.jpg

emperors new clothes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Shoddy non-sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Borderfox wrote: »
    hehehehehe all this *fannying* around waiting for a proper *exhibtition*.tut tut.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Shoddy non-sense.

hay hay hay hay hay........ now hold on there a sec. No more pulling off wise cracks against my wonderful bod. I can't wait to see my beautiful butt facing up to the sky :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

for those in Cork we can collect ours from the triskel on tobin lane on the 8th june

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Doesn't fanny mean the female genitalia in Ireland? :S I thought only in the US does it mean ass/arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The latest from the Docklands Newsletter here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Just read there that those who participated in the Cork installations can pick up their special edition prints from the Midsummer Festival Box office at Triskel Arts Centre Cork from June 8th.

And for 4 months from June 8th you can visit the Spencer Tunick Ireland online exhibition at www.tunickireland.com

Just thought id share for those interested

http://www.corkmidsummer.com/2009/events/spencer-tunick-online-exhibition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Whay hay hay. We're live. Fame at last.

http://www.tunickireland.com/index.html

Finally get to see my little ar5e in the water :D

been waiting ages for this,cant wait to get my print tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Memories!

Cant say Im that impressed to be honest
    (i do recognise a few people though)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Doesn't fanny mean the female genitalia in Ireland? :S I thought only in the US does it mean ass/arse.

Your correct, perhaps this shows the Americanization of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Has the link to the exhibition website worked for people? I cant seem to get it to load for me, and Ive treble checked spelling etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i got my print this morning, it's good but not amazing, printed on regular fuji paper

and i'm just slightly out of shot :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Yeah my print arrived earlier too, im so far out of shot im barely a dot I reckon! Im not overly impressed with the print itself, but still its a nice memento to have.

Im hoping the site is just slow because its got a few thousand people whos pictures arrived today, checking it probably at the moment, so hopefully I can see some more of the pics in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

DotOrg wrote: »
    i got my print this morning, it's good but not amazing, printed on regular fuji paper

and i'm just slightly out of shot :-(

Yeah, was a bit miffed with the quality of the physical print. I want a big huge poster print so I'm more than a dot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your correct, perhaps this shows the Americanization of Ireland?

I'm all about the Irishization of America. I've already introduced breakfast rolls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Thirdfox wrote: »

sorry for continuing the off topic but fannying about I think is an older expression I have heard in british made b/w movies I don't think its referring the above mentioned female body parts.

anyway back on topic:

saw the spencer tunic ireland site one of the pics shows shots of the set up with a blur of girls running to the back and a whole pile of lads posing in the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I too received my print and frankly it is crap, you'd get a better shot with an Olympus Trip! The quality of the print is average and size is too small by half. the signature stuck on the back with a postage label just demonstrates Mr Tunicks attitude to the whole project after dealing with the Docklands Development Authority.

For me the only thing laid bare here is Mr Tunicks reputation. Yes, the weather and light was crap, but that is what is meant to separate the gods of photography from us mere mortals. In my opinion, The challenge was great and Mr Tunick has been found lacking. I haven't browsed the website it seems to be down! why is that not a surprise?

This picture, or any I have seen so far do not do justice to the positive and life affirming memories of a day where peoples spirit triumphed over terrible conditions. Sadly the 'Artist' was not up to the task of capturing that spirit or composing work to do this justice.

I think this idea has past it's best and Mr Tunick needs to move on. Also if he ever decides to visit our shores again he better refresh his memory what to do when the sunny 16 rule can't be applied!

Anthony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm a bit unimpressed.

More than a bit actually. The sneak preview and making of videos are much more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

Actually, I think the print quality is sound (even if my print was nicked at the top) and suitable for the purpose. Not to take away from our significant contribution to the art world, but it was a free event.

Politics aside, it was good fun and I plan on framing, hanging and pointing this print out to as many visitors to Laitly Towers as I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The print is grand, although I'll never be able to spot myself, which is probably a good thing. The website on the other hand... a handful of low-res somewhat dull snaps and a microscopic video? Oh dear. I did enjoy the video, which captured a lot of the fun of the beach shots (I'd forgotten how we'd all said 'cheeeese' with our backs to the camera), but calling this a 'virtual exhibition' is a bit rich. There's better on flickr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm a bit unimpressed.

More than a bit actually. The sneak preview and making of videos are much more interesting.

Me too!
    I can spot myself in the 3rd photo from Blarney. The one where we are in the river holding the "gold"

I think that if he was to post it here for C&C I guess there would be a few comments how to improve the shot ;-)

Advertisement