Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exterior wall insulation to wood cabin.

Options
  • 07-05-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I was hoping for some advice on best method to insulate a wood cabin wall on the outside. Currently I have 45mm thick single skin walls
    2 sides of my cabin I will insulate internally by putting up some batons, fibre glass and then t&g cladding.
    Then there are 2 sides that are really close to a fence and unseen so I want to insulate these walls externally
    My plan is again to baton the walls out and use some type of foam boards like quinntherm (I have used these recently to insulate and raise the floor in the bedroom)
    Because these walls will not be seen I will not be using t&g on the outside I will was thinking of using plywood or mdf or some kind of panel wood sheets.
    Can anybody advise the best type wood sheets to use? would plywood or mdf sheets with some oil base primer applied be ok to use and able to withstand the elements all year around ?
    Would a barrier of some sort also be needed between insulation and new exterior wall?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I'd use shuttering ply or osb, but I think you would get better answers in Construction and Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

thanks for the feedback Fingalian

Advertisement