Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolour ban for Irish gymnasts

Options
  • 07-05-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Tricolour ban for Irish gymnasts

_45739980_irish_flag-1.jpg
    A council row has broken out over the flying of the Irish flag at a gymnastics competition in Newry. The Irish National Gymnastics Association tournament this weekend can play the Irish national anthem, but not fly the Irish flag, the council said.
    Sinn Fein's Pat McGinn said councillors opposed to the move had "failed miserably" to promote tolerance.
    UUP councillor Danny Kennedy said he did not want to see the council "naively used" by political elements.
    Mr McGinn said, as a former mayor, he had attended events when the union flag was flown and the "British national anthem was played".
    "It's sad that we have a national sporting championship and what we are doing is bringing it into a more complex row. We've turned it purely politically," he said.
    Mr McGinn accused opponents of the proposal of referring to "foreigners" during the debate.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8035267.stm

So is this all part of the new era of respect and tolerance of identity and citizenship under the GFA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Are they going down rugby route whereby there is one anthem for the whole of Ireland including N.I.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone who has a problem with an Irish flag being flown in Ireland needs to fcuk off home.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Raiser wrote: »
    Anyone who has a problem with an Irish flag being flown in Ireland needs to fcuk off home.......

What if their home is in Ireland?

There seem also to be a lot of people in the republic who give themselves a problem with the union flag being flown here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I can only presume that the row is beacuse the Irish National Gymnastic body wish to fly the Tricolour for the whole Gymnastics team (which includes NI members)? in which case, the Irish Gymnastics body & Sinn Fein are asking for friction.

Maybe somebody could clarify.

What if their home is in Ireland?

There seem also to be a lot of people in the republic who give themselves a problem with the union flag being flown here.

Hasn't the British Empire given back almost all of the Colonies it bullied its way into?

How many Countries are not entitled to fly their National flag within their own Country?

I think most reasonable people would concede that there is something inherently wrong in a given scenario where a National flag cannot be flown because some fat bullying, overgrown cnuts in fancy dress sashes and Bowler hats don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

God I wish Norn Iron would just piss off, you get tired of their crap.

I would pay money.... good money for a project to detach those counties from the republic and leave it to float into the atlantic. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

If a sporting team represents The Island of Ireland, it should not fly the Republic's flag or use The Republic's anthem, as it represents two countries (or a country and another country's region). Or else it should also fly The Union Flag and play GSTQ as well. Alternatively, it should use a completely different flag and anthem.

Personally, I am totally opposed to 'All Ireland' teams (and indeed any other bodies). There is The ROI and there is Northern Ireland (British Ulster if you prefer), let's not confuse the two.

God I wish Norn Iron would just piss off, you get tired of their crap.

I would pay money.... good money for a project to detach those counties from the republic and leave it to float into the atlantic. :rolleyes:

I'd second that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

futurehope wrote: »
    If a sporting team represents The Island of Ireland, it should not fly the Republic's flag or use The Republic's anthem, as it represents two countries (or a country and another country's region). Or else it should also fly The Union Flag and play GSTQ as well. Alternatively, it should use a completely different flag and anthem.

There is a junior gymnastics competition held between Ireland, NI, Wales and Scotland every year called the Celtic cup.

Ireland and N.I. compete against each other in this, and the tricolour is flown for Ireland. They don't compete as an all-Ireland team.

It's a little sticky, because I know there are clubs in N.I. who are part of Irish Gymnastics.

But then again, I'm think northern Irish competitors don't compete for Ireland at world championships and olympics etc.
    Or else they have a choice, like footballers.

I'm not sure about that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Camelot wrote: »
    I can only presume that the row is beacuse the Irish National Gymnastic body wish to fly the Tricolour for the whole Gymnastics team (which includes NI members)? in which case, the Irish Gymnastics body & Sinn Fein are asking for friction.

There is a seperate gymnastic organisation for NI, as far as I'm aware. Also, the article states that this problem hasn't arisen before. I can't imagine that if it was that situation that would be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Personally, I am totally opposed to 'All Ireland' teams (and indeed any other bodies). There is The ROI and there is Northern Ireland (British Ulster if you prefer), let's not confuse the two.

What about people who are equally opposed to the Union between Great Britain, and Northern Ireland?

And why can we not take the Island of Ireland as one whole block?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It might sound a bit silly, but would they be able to fly an Irish flag that's not the Republic's?

The Golden Harp on green field one (no idea what it's called) or something might be applicable?

Seems enormously childish of the Unionists, but ah well.

Cliste wrote: »
    What about people who are equally opposed to the Union between Great Britain, and Northern Ireland?

And why can we not take the Island of Ireland as one whole block?

Are you suggesting that all sporting events should be British Isles based (taken as one block)? What anthem would you suggest? I quite like Rule Brittania and The Union Jack would be more than appropriate as the flag as it includes the flag of 'St Patrick' which represents all of the island of Ireland.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

An Irish flag in Ireland - imagine that. I think it's hilarious that one tenth of the population (or whatever it is) can cause so much hassle. I'd love to see them try this stuff in the Costa del Sol, and the Canaries and other off-shore enclaves which they have made their own.

To quote John Lennon's famous lyrics:

'You claim to be majority
    Well you know that its a lie
    You're really a minority
    On this sweet emerald isle'

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Read news reports of it today. It's a gymnastic competition for the island, held in Newry this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

IIMII wrote: »
    An Irish flag in Ireland - imagine that. I think it's hilarious that one tenth of the population (or whatever it is) can cause so much hassle. I'd love to see them try this stuff in the Costa del Sol, and the Canaries and other off-shore enclaves which they have made their own.

You're really a minority
    costa del sol enclaves and the canaries enclaves ? have you been reading that rupert book again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

To be honest, it's just a great pity. It should really just be about the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Given that the tricolour is the flag of the Republic of Ireland, could we tell Gerry Adams & co. to fcuk off home too? AFAIK they don't recognise the Republic as it was a 'British enforced partition state'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

How about they get rid of all flags, dont wear country colours, and merely compete as numbers?

Surely that should be non-patriotic enough for them.

Or how about they fly both the tri-colour, and the NI flags, and our anthem, as the North cant honestly say they have an anthem anyway.

The current situation regarding the 6 commandeered Counties of Northern Ireland is slightly sicking to any logical right-thinking Irish individual who happens to be in possession of all of the facts...... I don't particularly care what flag you want to be seen to be waving after that..... Fly a 40 foot Nazi one if it sits well with your finely tuned sensibilities.....

The only conciliatory fact is that the Unionists are regarded as stubborn, petulant, whining, squatting British Knackers by the Irish and irritating Irish Misfits by the British - NOBODY wants anything to do with them at this stage - if, for an example, a new strain of Orange Avian Flu wiped them out overnight then I'd suspect there'd be two new National Holidays created as a consequence......

• Advertisement

The current situation regarding the 6 commandeered Counties of Northern Ireland is slightly sicking to any logical right-thinking Irish individual who happens to be in possession of all of the facts......

Funny, I don't feel sick at all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The current situation regarding the 6 commandeered Counties of Northern Ireland is slightly sicking to any logical right-thinking Irish individual who happens to be in possession of all of the facts...
    What's substantially more sickening to this particular logical right-thinking Irish individual is being described as illogical and wrong-thinking just because I'm capable of recognising that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Read news reports of it today. It's a gymnastic competition for the island, held in Newry this year.

I did, hence my question ...................

Anyway, Nodin has answered it somewhat.

prinz wrote: »
    Given that the tricolour is the flag of the Republic of Ireland, could we tell Gerry Adams & co. to fcuk off home too? AFAIK they don't recognise the Republic as it was a 'British enforced partition state'.

Sorry mate but it is the flag of Ireland and represents people who want it to represent them in the north.

I did, hence my question ...................

Anyway, Nodin has answered it somewhat.

Mate you got me wrong. I should have said I read a further report today saying it was an island wide competition.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Sorry mate but it is the flag of Ireland and represents people who want it to represent them in the north.

It is the flag of the Republic and it represents far more than nationalists, and seeing it abused as a banner by the dregs of society, that sickens me. If people in the North want it to represent them, they're welcome to migrate here mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

prinz wrote: »
    It is the flag of the Republic and it represents far more than nationalists, and seeing it abused as a banner by the dregs of society, that sickens me. If people in the North want it to represent them, they're welcome to migrate here mate.

The same dregs who fought for YOUR freedom eh?
    Hypocrisy much.
    I dont see why Unionists feel threatened by the Republic most of the people are pro brit anti irish its a total joke.
    The flag is that of the republic which as a fact represents 26 freee counties so its got no real place in the 6 occupied territories

Cue Futurehopes ramblings lol!

IIMII wrote: »

You're really a minority

Not sure about your sunny resort references (although I do remember English tourists giving The Irish a good hiding at the time of The Drumcree stand off in one of those dumps;)).

As for Lennon, when you've take as much drugs as he did, it's inevitable you'll write the sort of garbage you've posted above.

How about they get rid of all flags, dont wear country colours, and merely compete as numbers?

Surely that should be non-patriotic enough for them.

Or how about they fly both the tri-colour, and the NI flags, and our anthem, as the North cant honestly say they have an anthem anyway.

Why should people from Northern Ireland be interested in the anthem of a foreign country?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

D-Boy wrote: »
    ... I dont see why Unionists feel threatened by the Republic most of the people are pro brit anti irish its a total joke...

If we are like that, why do the Nationalists in NI want anything to do with us?

[It is a logical impossibility for a majority of the people of Ireland to be anti-Irish, because if we share a sentiment, then it must be deemed an Irish sentiment.]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement