Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolour ban for Irish gymnasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

futurehope wrote: »
    Raiser said:

Well, I'd have thought it would be Irish Republicans who would favour The Nazi flag, given the fact that they collaborated with them during WWII

Now this is funny.

I wonder if the Brits have ever asked the country of Czechoslovakia about IRA collaboration with the Nazis.

You may remember the Brits signed Czechoslovakia over to the Nazis without a fight and also without consulting the Czechoslovakians.

Now how the fnck is that for collaboration!

http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/peacetime.html
    We, the German Fuhrer and Chancellor, and the British Prime Minister, have had a further meeting today and are agreed in recognizing that the question of Anglo-German relations is of the first importance for our two countries and for Europe.

We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again.

We are resolved that the method of consultation shall be the method adopted to deal with any other questions that may concern our two countries, and we are determined to continue our efforts to remove possible sources of difference, and thus to contribute to assure the peace of Europe.

My good friends, for the second time in our history, a British Prime Minister has returned from Germany bringing peace with honor. I believe it is "peace for our time." Go home and get a nice quiet sleep

My italics.

Perfidious Albion indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why should people from Northern Ireland be interested in the anthem of a foreign country?

Its a sporting event between NI and ROI, as far as I know. Why shouldn't each team get to play its anthem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

Nodin wrote: »
    Its a sporting event between NI and ROI, as far as I know. Why shouldn't each team get to play its anthem?

No reason at all - except you said NI had no anthem.

No reason at all - except you said NI had no anthem.

emmmm....no?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

prinz wrote: »
    It is the flag of the Republic and it represents far more than nationalists, and seeing it abused as a banner by the dregs of society, that sickens me. If people in the North want it to represent them, they're welcome to migrate here mate.
    The same scum who place it on the coffin of dead murderers, drug dealers, etc. Who say they can execute two young unarmed soldiers supposedly in it's name. They don't represent me, they don't reflect what this country is.

It is the flag of a Republic and should be treated as such, and not abused by terrorists.

The Tri-colour was introduced to Ireland by the terrorist/murderer/villain of the day Thomas Francis Meagher. It was made popular 60 years later when it was held aloft by the rebels of 1916, and we should all know what they where called.

Given that, I’d say that Republicans probably are on more solid ground then most when it comes to the right to use the flag. Certainly they’ve a much stronger case then people such as yourself who use the same hysterical language to attack them as was used to condemn who brought the flag to Ireland (Young Ireland) and those whose actions made it our National flag (Easter rebels).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Nodin wrote: »

It's a regional event. Ireland is divided up into 8 administrative regions in Gymnastics, and gymnasts qualify out of their region to compete at the national finals. The northern region includes part of leinster too. About 95% of those taking part will be kids. (http://www.irishgymnastics.ie)

Essentially what happened was that a standard checklist was sent to the host facility in newry - everything from making sure changing rooms were available, to counting the number of spectator seats, also on the list would have been mention of somewhere to hang the flag, and a stereo system to play the anthem, as would be done at all national events Then all of a sudden it escalated into a full scale council meeting!

timod wrote: »
    It's a regional event. Ireland is divided up into 8 administrative regions in Gymnastics, and gymnasts qualify out of their region to compete at the national finals. The northern region includes part of leinster too. About 95% of those taking part will be kids. (http://www.irishgymnastics.ie)

Essentially what happened was that a standard checklist was sent to the host facility in newry - everything from making sure changing rooms were available, to counting the number of spectator seats, also on the list would have been mention of somewhere to hang the flag, and a stereo system to play the anthem, as would be done at all national events Then all of a sudden it escalated into a full scale council meeting!

Ah good, finally someone who knows something about what they're talking about.

timod wrote: »

Thank you Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

getz wrote: »
    i am sure like minded people can come up with some sort of answer -but republic would have to change some of the provocative words in their anthem if its to be excepted by the brit/irish

lol its a historical song that most people can't even understand as its sung in a language they don't know.

I'd say get over it. It'll cause more problems trying to change it to something acceptable for everyone and it'll end up after 3 years of discussion that everyone will not be able to agree and will agree to disagree and leave it alone.
    getz wrote: »
    the only woods in it i would like to change is ;the saxon foe; and dont tell me its about the germans-remember GSTQ hasent any anti /any race words in it -its just about an old dear who represents the uk and northern ireland-not matter what the bigots claim .

Yeah but we are talking about modernizing anthems not really changing provocative words so I think some new song would better represent the modern UK or something that better reflects the increase in Muslim population in the UK. Lets be fair after all.

What a load of crap. Protesting a flag. What if they change the fabric used, would that be acceptable or if it was a slightly faded flag? Or if they hung it upside down :p

People in the north are wimps if they get upset over a flag. Don't worry it won't hurt you, not even if it falls down (the pole its attached to might but if bashes your nogin it might knock some sense into the person it hits).

Some ridiculously extreme views in this thread considering it is 2009 now FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭futurehope

dresden8 wrote: »
    Now this is funny.

I wonder if the Brits have ever asked the country of Czechoslovakia about IRA collaboration with the Nazis.

You may remember the Brits signed Czechoslovakia over to the Nazis without a fight and also without consulting the Czechoslovakians.

Now how the fnck is that for collaboration!

http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/peacetime.html

My italics.

Perfidious Albion indeed!

I'm not going to get into a debate about the relative contributions of The UK and The Irish Free State to the fight against Nazi Germany. That would be too absurd for words. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    The Tri-colour was introduced to Ireland by the terrorist/murderer/villain of the day Thomas Francis Meagher. It was made popular 60 years later when it was held aloft by the rebels of 1916, and we should all know what they where called.

Given that, I’d say that Republicans probably are on more solid ground then most when it comes to the right to use the flag. Certainly they’ve a much stronger case then people such as yourself who use the same hysterical language to attack them as was used to condemn who brought the flag to Ireland (Young Ireland) and those whose actions made it our National flag (Easter rebels).

Read Bunreacht na hÉireann much my friend? Relates to Republic of Ireland, not the island of Ireland.

By your reasoning we should readopt the Union Jack, as when it was introduced it included the flag of Ireland (*note relates to the island of Ireland and ALL on it), therefore if we want to back in time, I'd say the Union flag has a better claim to represent all Irish people.

The 'republicans' funny calling them that because they have by and large ignored the democratic will of the people repeatedly, have no right to use the tricolour since it was adotped as the flag of the Irish Free State, as they don't recognise the Republic as a legitimate country. If you don't recognise my country, don't abuse my flag.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Any chance we can keep this on-topic - as in, a specific row over gymnastics in Newry? Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Personally, I am totally opposed to 'All Ireland' teams (and indeed any other bodies). There is The ROI and there is Northern Ireland (British Ulster if you prefer), let's not confuse the two.

I agree. Our rugby team is the Irish rugby team, and should fly the Irish flag for them and sing the national anthem. If anyone playing for Ireland has a problem singing our anthem or flying our flag then they are not Irish and should not be playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Any chance we can keep this on-topic - as in, a specific row over gymnastics in Newry? Ta.

Should this be in the Sports forum then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

From the flagpole Meagher's flag runs orange-white-green. The shinner flag that later became the national flag runs in the total opposite direction and originally had the orange replaced by vatican yellow.

The reason the shinners adopted it was because the Green flag, our old national flag that had been used by the Fenians and United Irish, was being used by home-rulers, and the shinners wanted to differentiate themselves from them because they're so very very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol so in conclusion people can't even hate and be bigots accurately :D

Read Bunreacht na hÉireann much my friend? Relates to Republic of Ireland, not the island of Ireland.

By your reasoning we should readopt the Union Jack, as when it was introduced it included the flag of Ireland (*note relates to the island of Ireland and ALL on it), therefore if we want to back in time, I'd say the Union flag has a better claim to represent all Irish people.

The 'republicans' funny calling them that because they have by and large ignored the democratic will of the people repeatedly, have no right to use the tricolour since it was adotped as the flag of the Irish Free State, as they don't recognise the Republic as a legitimate country. If you don't recognise my country, don't abuse my flag.

What?

Let me put this simply. The Tri-colour is an Irish Republican flag, Irish Republicans have every right to use it.

What?

Let me put this simply. The Tri-colour is an Irish Republican flag, Irish Republicans have every right to use it.

It's a Shinner flag. Shinners aren't Republicans they're Catholic Nationalists, always have been. If it's a Irish Republican flag then how come Wolfe Tone (not a Catholic) and the Fenians (excommunicated) flew a different one?

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    It's a Shinner flag. Shinners aren't Republicans they're Catholic Nationalists, always have been. If it's a Irish Republican flag then how come Wolfe Tone (not a Catholic) and the Fenians (excommunicated) flew a different one?

Because Wolfe Tone pre-dated it's creation by 50 years, as you no doubt know, so why would you even ask?

The Fenians didn't fly it, what is that meant to prove?

It was brought about by Young Ireland and their connection with France. There was no known standard way of flying it. Whether Orange-white-green, green-white-orange it hardly makes a difference.

Because Wolfe Tone pre-dated it's creation by 50 years, as you no doubt know, so why would you even ask?

It was brought about by Young Ireland and their connection with France. There was no known standard way of flying it. Whether Orange-white-green, green-white-orange it hardly makes a difference.

It makes a difference because it proves Shinners didn't know what they were doing. Anyhow you could have fitted the Young Irelanders in your living room.

You'd think out of respect any true Irish Republicans would fly the flag used by the father of Irish Republicanism. Kind of makes sense.

The Fenians were Irish Republicans, they flew the green flag of the United Irish.

• Advertisement

It makes a difference because it proves Shinners didn't know what they were doing. Anyhow you could have fitted the Young Irelanders in your living room.

Proves nothing of the sort. As I said, there was no standard.

But as it happens green first then white then orange seems to make more sense then any other configuration. Perhaps they knew quite well what they where doing.
    You'd think out of respect any true Irish Republicans would fly the flag used by the father of Irish Republicanism. Kind of makes sense.

The Fenians were Irish Republicans, they flew the green flag of the United Irish.

If someone had came to Theobald with a Tricolour I can’t help but think that'd he'd be anything but approving.

Proves nothing of the sort. As I said, there was no standard.

There certainly was to the men who designed it and brought it back from France.
    But as it happens green first then white then orange seems to make more sense then any other configuration. Perhaps they knew quite well what they where doing.

See above, the Catholic Royalists in this country never knew what they were doing and always brought shíte down on our heads because of it. Thanks God for Republicanism and the notion we may be free when the last Kings and Queens are strangled with the guts of the last Priests and Popes.

The gap between Republicans and fake Republicans looks like this; Tone wanted the French to send the Pope to the guillotine, Dev and Gerry and Marty and all those boys kneeled down to kiss his ring.
    If someone had came to Theobald with a Tricolour I can’t help but think that'd he'd be anything but approving.

It was mostly like this in the time of Tone, and what need had he of it when the ancient harp of our fathers rallied Dissenter, Anglican and Catholic to it's cause in a way the imposter's rag has never done since?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

But the one from French Flag has a fundamentally different meaning (I think you're trying to say that that's where the idea came from)

In the french flag the white stands for the Monachy, and the blue and red for the common folk - and the order signifies that the common folk control the Monarchy (as far as I remember)

Anyway what bleedin difference does it make. This is about the Irish National flag not being allowed to be flown up in Newry - and if you want to argue the exact definition of everything what I've just said you have a problem.

Cliste wrote: »
    Anyway what bleedin difference does it make.

None whatsoever tbh. I was bored on teh interwebs and found some flag wavers annoying me. Sorry about that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

So i take it that this gymnastics group and competition was only for nationalists and republicans? hence the need to fly a tricolour

Source?
    The gap between Republicans and fake Republicans looks like this; Tone wanted the French to send the Pope to the guillotine, Dev and Gerry and Marty and all those boys kneeled down to kiss his ring.

Source?

It was mostly like this in the time of Tone, and what need had he of it when the ancient harp of our fathers rallied Dissenter, Anglican and Catholic to it's cause in a way the imposter's rag has never done since?

Oh Christ.

So Young Ireland where imposters.

Ancient Harp of our fathers? Sounds like you're the flag waver here.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

It would make a difference in the Ivory Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for many Republicans to accept the democratic view expressed by the vast majority in 1998 that Northern Ireland is in the UK.
    Isn't the beauty of democracy the fact that people get to change their minds over time and vote for new outcomes? Otherwise why bother having elections every few years? Why not just have one election and stick with the outcome for ever and ever amen? Times change.

The reality is the demographic is slowly changing in NI. Eventually the Unionists, despite all their gerrymandering, will find themselves unable to maintain an artificial majority. When that day comes we could see a peaceful democratic reunion of this island. Who could object to that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, anybody who doesn't want the republic infested with the jackassery that seems to be standard issue up north.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

But if it was the democratic wish of the majority you would have to live with those you don't agree with, much like now, wouldn't you?
    Or does democracy only apply as long as the result suits certain people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement