Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricolour ban for Irish gymnasts

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

junder wrote: »
    the same could be said about republicans who seem to want to strip northern ireland of all of its British symbols, wasting gods knows how much of the tax payers money on equlity surveys, constantly moaning about creating neutral enviorments. Then whinge and bitch because they have created a monster which effects even young people collecting money at supermarkets. If this was a simple local gymnastics compertition why was there any need to fly any flags or play any national anthems?

I'm not sure if anyone here watch Des Bishops series where he went around deprived area's, and did workshops, then a comedy gig with a few of the locals. When he went up North obviously the mutual love between both communities was very topical. In the Unionist area they were taking the absolute piss out of Nationalists, while in the Nationalist area one person actually walked out on the show because he felt that Des was encouraging sectarianism too much.

It appeared to me that the people in the Nationalist area had more awareness about the other community.

It was a National Gymnastics competition - why shouldn't the flag be flown? And you haven't dealt with the fact that the anthem was deemed ok for the event - just not the flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

futurehope wrote: »
    Well the line had to be drawn somewhere my balanced and fair minded Irish friend. As a balanced and fair minded Irish man/woman/priest/whatever do you think it was fair that majority Unionist areas across Ireland especially in areas such as Donegal were trapped in the sectarian cess pit that The Free State became? What about those majorities? Can you be a bit more balanced and fair minded about them?

There were just 3 counties with a Unionist majority and I don't think Donegal was one of them was it? Between 20-30% of it's population were Unionists. That's not a majority is it? A sizeable minority is the best you can make of that.

In three of the counties that remained in the UK there was an Irish Nationalist majority of well over 50%. Antrim and Down had clear Unionist majorities and Derry just about did. I must say for a supposed democrat you seem to be quite sketchy on the mechanism by which it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, cute as laughing unionists may be, especially when one of them isn't, this thread has run its course with regard to its original intent. We're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement