Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

• 07-05-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Barcelona_Man_Utd_CL.jpg

The old adage goes that all roads lead to Rome, and in the case of Manchester United FC and FC Barcelona they come to a potentially glorious halt at the Stadio Olimpico on 27 May.

Twists and turns
    For Barcelona perhaps, the journey has been freighted with greater tension given the semi-final that Josep Guardiola's team played out against Chelsea FC – sealed with the twist of Andrés Iniesta's stoppage time away-goals winner. The Spanish champions-elect have suffered two defeats en route to the Italian capital, losing to Wisła Kraków in the second leg of their third qualifying round tie and going down at home to FC Shakhtar Donetsk in the group stage – but in both cases after progress had been assured. A more telling statistic is that in 12 games from the group stage onwards they have recorded 30 goals, at a rate of of 2.5 per match.

Strolling along
    By contrast, Manchester United, the titleholders, are unbeaten in the UEFA Champions League since their semi-final in 2006/07, when after a 3-2 home success over AC Milan they were defeated by three unanswered goals at San Siro. Since then the English league leaders have been unbreakable over a record 25 matches in the competition, with their defence breached only six times in 12 games this season. Their ultimately comfortable semi-final scalp of Arsenal FC just underlined the nature of the challenge facing Barcelona in three weeks' time.

Roads to Rome

FC Barcelona
    Third qualifying round
    Wisła Kraków (h) 4-0
    Wisła Kraków (a) 0-1
    Group stage (Group C winners)
    Sporting Clube de Portugal (h) 3-1
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (a) 2-1
    FC Basel 1893 (a) 5-0
    FC Basel 1893 (h) 1-1
    Sporting Clube de Portugal (a) 5-2
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (h) 2-3
    First knockout round
    Olympique Lyonnais (a) 1-1
    Olympique Lyonnais (h) 5-2
    Quarter-finals
    FC Bayern München (h) 4-0
    FC Bayern München (a) 1-1
    Semi-final
    Chelsea FC (h) 0-0
    Chelsea FC (a) 1-

Manchester United FC
    Group stage (Group E winners)
    Villarreal CF (h) 0-0
    Aalborg BK (a) 3-0
    Celtic FC (h) 3-0
    Celtic FC (a) 1-1
    Villarreal CF (a) 0-0
    Aalborg BK (h) 2-2
    First knockout round
    FC Internazionale Milano (a) 0-0
    FC Internazionale Milano (h) 2-0
    Quarter-finals
    FC Porto (h) 2-2
    FC Porto (a) 1-0
    Semi-finals
    Arsenal FC (h) 1-0
    Arsenal FC (a) 3-1

Who's gonna win? 290 votes

Manchester United (United fan)
    0%
    Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    46%
    johnorPHBroar_ieFenixFarlscournioniBigConFighting IrishloyatemutomEDweemcdEKRIUQT-b0n3lordgoatdcr22BIagodubmickDraupnirbestyUnearthly 136 votes
    Manchester United (Neutral)
    2%
    LocogimmickWastertylrpowerPrincess Consuela BananahammockstevomanRoyal Seahawk 7 votes
    Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    16%
    entropiPepe LeFritswyntersGuy:Incognitojesus_thats_greraven136_blank_Mr. PresentableA Dub in Glasgocashback[Jackass]ctrl-alt-deletemcowheySpider_Baby!BarrRoyale with CheeseJageraRikandMad Dogthegen 49 votes
    Barcelona (United fan)
    5%
    Horsefumblercooker3el rabitosapplehunterArmaniJeansseZe^Xavi6DSBfillmore jiveSectionFShanotheslayerironingboredJohnny UtahDenManNuri SahinCaptain-America 16 votes
    Barcelona (Neutral)
    3%
    eclectichoneyzAbboMisterAnarchychupacabraJerryHandbagfinbarrkJæKæThe Gambler 101fcleere 9 votes
    Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    25%
    TwoShedsJacksongandalfmewsoIllkillyaKulganPiEVokesThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfJJspocketyGuanYinthewingmada999eirebhoySweenoKingp35ErinGoBrathDub13wardie 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I await The Cristiano Ronaldo show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Trilla wrote: »
    I await The Cristiano Ronaldo show

I await the Lionel Messi one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I await the Dream final between the best two teams in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

monkey9 wrote: »
    I await the Lionel Messi one
    Messi will got on with the job. None of this Tom Foolery we'll see from the other clown

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Lets hope we get the amazing game of football it promises to be. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Sadly I dont think it will be a soccer spectacle, Fergie is far too canny to try out play Barcelona as United would be ripped apart. Chelsea did it perfect last night and United will play every bit as tight hoping for a break.

Hate to say it but I think United got Lucky last night and are my favorites to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barcelona (United fan)
    Poll added just cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

lint316 wrote: »
    Messi will got on with the job. None of this Tom Foolery we'll see from the other clown

There was "Tom Foolery" from Messi last night, dived at least once. Yes, it's a pity but it's true, messi dives aswell. Not on a Drogba or Ronaldo scale but he's not whiter than white!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking back on the two sides qualification route, you'd have to say (well I would!) that both made pretty heavy weather of minor opponents at times. While it could be argued both are lucky to be there at all. Utd got away with a crappy game against a typically hopeless Inter and, well we know about last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

mike65 wrote: »
    (well I would!)

Course you would.

I think United will win as Barcelona really have no Plan B. This is too their credit in that they stick to their footballing philosophy no matter what the occassion but I think they will regret it against a United team who will certainly score and will more than cope with the midfield of Barcelona which I think is not direct enough when a pass is on.

The only way I see Barcelona winning is if they can score early on before the shape of the game settles down, this is not beyond the realm of possibility. The game would be much more open then as United search for a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

20 DAYS TO GO

COME ON UNITED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Barcelona (Neutral)
    Sadly I dont think it will be a soccer spectacle, Fergie is far too canny to try out play Barcelona as United would be ripped apart. Chelsea did it perfect last night and United will play every bit as tight hoping for a break.

Hate to say it but I think United got Lucky last night and are my favorites to win

I'd go along with that .
    Ferguson will allow Barcelona the majority of the possession and try to catch them on the break.
    Saying that though Utd will be alot more positive than Chelsea,they will attack when they have the ball and retain possession better.
    It would be foolish to try and take Barca on at their own game and Ferguson knows that the patched up Barca defence for the final will be suspect to the counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon United will play the same team that they put out against Arsenal. Giggs coming in for Fletcher if the suspension is confirmed.

I am certain that we will go with a 3 man midfield against Barcelona, and it then simply depends on whether Fergie goes with Ronnie through the centre with park or rooney on the right to combat Henry/Iniesta drifting on the left (of the Barca attack) or if he plays Ronaldo on the right and trusts the midfield to compensate on that side (with either Tevez or Berbatov up front. I certainly think it will be Park/Rooney left side of a 3 man attack, to help out with Messi on Barcelonas right.

The biggest obstacle for Barca to deal with is having 3 of their regular back four either suspended or injured for the final. Alves and Abidal through suspension and Marquez through injury. The Chelsea games took a heavy toll. Add to this that Pep has no confidence in Caceres in my opinion which means first choice DMF Toure will play as a makeshift CB meaning Busquets will take his place in midfield. I have to be honest here and say I cant see Pep putting 35 year old Sylvinho at LB up against Ronaldo. There wouldnt be much of a contest here pace wise. Alves cant adequately be replaced with a like for like attacking option either so that can only be of benefit to United. Either way though Barcelona will put out a side capable of winning so its should be a belter of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think Uniteds ability to go 4-4-2/ 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 and change their game to counter Barca who don't seem to have or are too stubborn to apply a plan b will be the seperator in this game.
    (This being a biased United fan's view though)

Barcelona (United fan)
    Abidal being suspended is a blessing in disguise imo. The Djimi Traore of Barcelona (and yes i know Djimi has a winner's medal)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Abidal being suspended is a blessing in disguise imo. The Djimi Traore of Barcelona (and yes i know Djimi has a winner's medal)

Alves missing is massive though, as the support he gives Messi on the right, and thus the space he opens up on that side for Messi, is a big part of Barcelona's game and it will be a big loss for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Alves missing is massive though, as the support he gives Messi on the right, and thus the space he opens up on that side for Messi, is a big part of Barcelona's game and it will be a big loss for them.
    Not on last nights showing. He was awful. I lost count of the amount of times he put in rubbish crosses when under little or no pressure. Wasn't too hot in the first leg either.

Pighead wrote: »
    Not on last nights showing. He was awful. I lost count of the amount of times he put in rubbish crosses when under little or no pressure. Wasn't too hot in the first leg either.

Just as I wouldn't base my opinion on Barcelona's ability to create chances on last nights performance, I wouldn't base my opinion of any Barcelona player on just last nights performance. Having watched him over the season, he has been very effective down the right for Barcelona and a big part of their attacking threat, as Evra would be for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Personally I think (Yes I'm a biased utd fan) Ronaldo has looked like hes hitting last years standard, thats massive, on his day Ronaldo is up there with Messi, just ask Arsenal. I'm hoping experience will tell as regards fergie vs pep.

Having said that, its Barca, they are capeable of amazing stuff, I'm pretty sure they won't see as much of the ball as Chelsea allowed them, Utd will should have learned plenty from last nights game.

COME ON UTD......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We have to see how injuries and suspensions work out I think first :)

I think we've got a good shot though to retain the CL. Either way, i"m bloody happy to be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't blood wait for this... I reckon I'll have a nervous breakdown on the night though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You can't really say it's a blessing in disguise when their 2nd choice LB is 35.
    They will be weaker without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Barcelona (United fan)
    I don't think it's fair to be putting Arsenal down here guys, I should know they are my team. The were comprehensively beaten by Utd over the two legs. Both Arsenal and Barcelona don't seem to have a Plan B, which is worrying. They continue to move around and pass it and Utd dealt with Arsenal and could do likewise with Barca. That being said I have a good feeling Henry will decide the game. Barca for me, but very close.

Barcelona (United fan)
    JPA wrote: »
    You can't really say it's a blessing in disguise when their 2nd choice LB is 35.
    They will be weaker without him.

I'd be confident Abidal would fuck up in some way shape or form so whoever's going to play there almost has one mistake's grace.

The candidates are from what I can see -

Martín Cáceres
    Gerard Piqué
    Carles Puyol
    Sylvinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

or the option of dropping Yaya Toure into CB and push Puyol to RB.

I just can't see us not really getting a couple of goods chances to score.

I'd be confident Abidal would fuck up in some way shape or form so whoever's going to play there almost has one mistake's grace.

The candidates are from what I can see -

Martín Cáceres
    Gerard Piqué
    Carles Puyol
    Sylvinho

Rate Abidal or not, Alves is out so Puyol has to play RB. Piqué and Cáceres are CBs and Cáceres never plays. So the only choice is Sylvinho and Abidal is better than him, so they are weaker.
    Abidal is always a bit dodgy for France but I think he's solid enough for Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Losing Abidal is a bigger loss than Alves from a defensive point of view. He could go with

Cacares - Puyol - Pique - Sylvinho.

Unlikely, but possible. Which will he decide is more important - full backs blocking service from the wings, or centre halves blocking service through the centre?

Either way, and even with a first choice defense available, I cannot see past Man U for this :(

Pighead wrote: »

Was it not Alves cross that lead to Barca's goal last night ?

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

To be fair redout, Alves was awful last night. That however does not make him a bad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lot of people talking like they expect Messi to deliver, if last night is anything to go by, then that might not be the best thing to talk up, as he was utterly **** last night, and has been almost every time he has played English opposition. Granted, ruling him off is stupid, and thats not what im doing, but if you hadnt seen either semi and came for a look in here, you wouldnt know Ronaldo scored 2 amazing goals and got man of the match in his semi, and Messi was a ghost in his.

Barca without Abidal and Alves, Ronaldo to run riot.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lot of people talking like they expect Messi to deliver, if last night is anything to go by, then that might not be the best thing to talk up, as he was utterly **** last night,...................i, and Messi was utterly **** in his.

Utterly Sh*te you say? Nonsense. Sure, he was not at his swashbuckling finest, but he had a good, solid game. I think the people who say he was poor are those who barely ever seen him play so expect wizardry every game.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lot of people talking like they expect Messi to deliver, if last night is anything to go by, then that might not be the best thing to talk up, as he was utterly **** last night, and has been almost every time he has played English opposition. Granted, ruling him off is stupid, and thats not what im doing. But if you hadnt seen either semi and came for a look in here, you wouldnt know Ronaldo scored 2 amazing goals and got man of the match in his semi, and Messi was utterly **** in his.

Barca without Abidal and Alves, Ronaldo to run riot.

WTF? Unless you expect Maradonna 1986 goals everytime Messi gets the ball, he was good. Not at his best but good. To say he was **** makes you look ridiculous.

No, it was Essien's miskick and Messi's pass that led to the goal. Alves's crossing was very poor last night. the one at the end that kinda sorta lead to the goal was decent, that was about it. One good cross does not a good performance make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Don't think he will be claiming the assist though. 6/7 touches later it got to Iniesta. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This thread is kinda shocking - basically half of the people who post here are Utd fans.

Barca wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Should be a cracker though. Utd every man behind the ball clinging on for penalties and bam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man Utd to contain Barcelona and catch them on the break. 1 or 2 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Warper wrote: »
    This thread is kinda shocking - basically half of the people who post here are Utd fans.

And no United fan thinks Barca will win.

Now there's confidence.

No, it was Essien's miskick and Messi's pass that led to the goal. Alves's crossing was very poor last night. the one at the end that kinda sorta lead to the goal was decent, that was about it. One good cross does not a good performance make.
    Boggles wrote: »
    Don't think he will be claiming the assist though. 6/7 touches later it got to Iniesta. :D

The point I am making is that his cross lead to the goal. No cross = No goal. He did have a poor game yes but ultimately he did play a part in the build up to there goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lint316 wrote: »

If it was Tom Foolery like the quarters and semis of this competition, then liccle Messi is gonna be shown up big time

3 zip to United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I take it all the neutrals in last night's thread who claimed United will walk over Barca haven't voted yet so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just to confirm, Barcelona are the designated home team, so they'll be in their usual blue and red strips. United will be all white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

And no United fan thinks Barca will win.

Now there's confidence.

I think that's because, on the basis of last nights performance, Barca's defense is there in body but not in mind! I lost count of the amount of times Barca were caught in possession at the back, it seemed like Chelsea might get something every time they went forward in numbers.

Some would argue Barca can get away with this because they pass it around opponents and their attack is the best in the world.

I think that Manchester United have a very high standard of both Defense and Attack. Their attack mightn't be as strong as Barcalona, but their defense certainly is therefore I'd fancy United.
    Daysha wrote: »
    Just to confirm, Barcelona are the designated home team, so they'll be in their usual blue and red strips. United will be all white.

ARSE! I take is this is decided depending on which side of the quarter final you are on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

COME ON BARCA!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Daysha wrote: »

Last time United played Barca in a European final we wore all white. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

In the words of Eamon Dunphy- Id like 3 weeks to think about it!!

I'm not predicting a score, but United to win.

Can't wait for this game, I have butterflies already thinking about it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

JPA wrote: »
    WTF? Unless you expect Maradonna 1986 goals everytime Messi gets the ball, he was good. Not at his best but good. To say he was **** makes you look ridiculous.

I dont expect Maradonna goals from everyone. But i do expect you to back up how he was "good". Go on then, tell me about some good things. Note, the assist was not good, it was an almost backwards pass. Had Iniesta not decided it was time for a stroke of genius, Barca would be out on their ass and people saying "Where was Messi?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A solid 2-0 from united. Early goals at the srart of each half then defending and quick counters for the last ~40 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Considering he was double-marked for large parts of the game, I thought Messi played well. He left Ashley Cole for dead a couple of times, and Chelsea still struggled to get the ball back off him even when they had 4 players surrounding him.

As for the final, I just think Barca's defence will be too weak without Abidal, Alves, Marquez and Milito, but it will be close and is by no means a foregone conclusion like many of the posters last night predicted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement