Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    So basically Rio is fit, Ronaldo is better that Messi, and Ronaldo got a jersey.

oh and Madrid are **** and thats a fact

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So basically Rio is fit, Ronaldo is better that Messi, and Ronaldo got a jersey.

And Ferguson said that they're better than Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Thanks for the press conference reporting lads - that was an enjoyable read :)

Thank fook rio is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    It will be interesting which ot the two big guns, Messi or Ronaldo will have the biggest influence in this game.

Will that have a bearing on the who is the best player in the world debate?

Anyway, I'm going for a UTD win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    Yeah a huge influence on that particular debate :P
    I do think Messi will have a bigger influence on the game over all, but Ronaldo scores so easily its frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What I'd love:

Ronaldo will put Man U 1-0 up from a free kick early on, but Barca will then do a repeat of Paris 06 and come back to win 2-1.

What I reckon:

Barca to come out of the traps running and will make the same mistakes as Arsenal did at the Emirates against Man U. Man U will score against the run of play, and will proceed to ride out storm to win the CL for the second year in a row. Scoreline will range anywhere from 1-0 to 3-1.

my dream is too see ando doubters eat there words tomorrow

G'wan the ando

Manchester United captain Rio Ferdinand has confirmed he has been training with his team-mates ahead of the UEFA Champions League final.

Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils meet Primera Division champions Barcelona in Rome on Wednesday night as they look to defend their European crown.

England international Ferdinand has not featured for his Premier League-winning side since their 3-1 win at Arsenal on 5th May because of a calf injury.

However, centre-back Ferdinand now appears in the running to start alongside Nemanja Vidic after confirming his condition is much improved ahead of the crunch clash.

He said at a press conference televised live on Sky Sports News: "My injury is fine.

"I have been training the last couple of days with the team. I feel good.

"The manager knows I wouldn't put myself into a position to be in the game if I wasn't 100 per cent fit.

"We have got a talented squad and if my fitness was ever going to be detrimental to the team and the result then I wouldn't play.

"I have been working hard with the phyios at the club, training hard and working on the injury. I don't see any problems."
    G'wan the Rio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Look who popped into a training session today.

11111111s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Headshot wrote: »
    my dream is too see ando doubters eat there words tomorrow

G'wan the ando

If he could put Messi, Iniesta and Xavi in his pocket (hopefully he'll be wearing his shorts with the big pockets), and grab the winning goal for United, that'd be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

RasTa wrote: »

11111111s.jpg

Why is he so injury prone!!? He broke his right ankle just standing there!! :mad:

11111111s.jpg

what a miss he is

sure could use him tomorrow

11111111s.jpg

Orlando Bloom?

just spotted the bandage over the right knee

still not training it seems

Tom65 wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom?

Ha spit of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Headshot wrote: »
    just spotted the bandage over the right knee

still not training it seems

Surely thats his left knee;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

thegen wrote: »
    It will be interesting which ot the two big guns, Messi or Ronaldo will have the biggest influence in this game.

Will that have a bearing on the who is the best player in the world debate?

Anyway, I'm going for a UTD win.

If Messi produces anything like his performance against Chelsea over the 2 legs , Utd have nothing to worry about.

At least if Ronaldo is playing crap he is still likey to score from a free kick .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Barr wrote: »
    At least if Ronaldo is playing crap he is still likely to score from a free kick .

sorry to be pedantic but he's 'likely' to score from a free is a bit of an overstatement.

what's his ratio?

and i could just as easily say messi could produce one piece of individual magic, or iniesta (a la chelsea), etc.

that's the beauty of great players. they all, not just ronaldo, can pull out moments of magic from nowhere even while playing badly.

i mean henry has the potential to hit just as devastating a free kick. so again, it's all kind of a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

They had the guy who's organising the mosaic type tribute for Sir Matt on SSN. He showed the pic thats going to happen, its going to be sweet. The players will see it as they enter the pitch - awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The countdown to this match is unbearable. Can't wait, ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tom65 wrote: »
    Orlando Bloom?

Russell Crowe to me

creggy wrote: »

This pretty much sums up my feelings too. Brings me right back to last year. With the nerves on me I may as well have been playing in the match :p

24 hours and 15 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I really hope your sig becomes obsolete tomorrow.

What are the chances of Scholes starting tomorrow? I think he could be a useful player to have on the pitch with the lack of pace from Pique and Toure's lack of experience at CB. Scholes' passing could be a real asset imo but at the sacrifice of Giggs' energy and extra pace.

My money is on Utd tomorrow nite , have €100 for Utd to lift the cup at 10/11. I cant believe Utd are not favourites.(I'm not a utd fan btw)

I cant believe Utd are not favourites.(I'm not a utd fan btw)

i can, just about.

barca have been scintillating this year in their league.

the match is as on a knife-edge as any match you are likely to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mural.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    The Sky build up to this is bloody stupid. Andy Gray, Jamie Redknapp and Alan Mullery are spouting cliches about Barca to beat the band. Their lack of insight to a non English team is astounding.

Alves is a huge loss
    Barca have a creaky defense
    Barca dont like it up them
    Ronaldo Vs Messi
    All Ronaldo needs is one chance
    Fergie says his team are better than Real.
    Puyol could start in midfield???????????????????????????????????????

Why Sky have not drafted in Ballague and/or Hunter to give some insight to Barca is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

on paper this should be about as comfortable as it gets in a european cup final, barcelona with half their team either missing or lacking match fitness against a man utd team that won 21 of their last 24 league game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm gonna go with some mates on this and give it to united. They are usually right with big game results, and from their perspective, the barca back 4 wont be able to stand up to united's assault, and the united back 4 may be just too strong to give barca any hope of goals.

I predict a 2-2 game though, with united edgeing them out in penalties 4-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

:(

rossie1977 wrote: »
    on paper this should be about as comfortable as it gets in a european cup final, barcelona with half their team either missing or lacking match fitness against a man utd team that won 21 of their last 24 league game

a bit more optimism man, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I have to say as a United fan I am quietly confident for tomorrow evening.I dont know what it is but I have a similar gut feeling that I had before the Arsenal 2nd leg.Im even going to see whats the best price for a 3:1 United victory.I got them at 20/1 the last game so I have to have a punt.

all this utd confidence is amusing.

if right, fair enough, but there'll be a few people looking quite foolish around here if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »

if right, fair enough, but there'll be a few people looking quite foolish around here if not.

no doubt there will be people just waiting to say all United fans were giving it large before the game and having a nice go at them if Barcelona get the win.

Don't forget that no all United fans are confident will win, let alone win easily.

I'm freaking bricking it.

• Advertisement

no doubt there will be people just waiting to say all United fans were giving it large before the game and having a nice go at them if Barcelona get the win.

Don't forget that no all United fans are confident will win, let alone win easily.

I'm freaking bricking it.

i know all this. don't worry. i hate generalising all fans.

it's why i was very careful to say 'a few people'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Im a Utd fan and of course I hope Utd get the job done tonight in Rome, I wouldnt right off Barca though. Two super teams one stronger than the other at the back. Attacking, there just isnt anything between them imo. If utd play to their best, they will retain the cup. Utd's Back four to win it for them. Utd 1-0 (vidic)

Would you mind explaining this please?

What exactly is amusing about being a bit confident about the game?

Of course fans are going to be confident.

Pound for pound,United have a better squad than Barca IMO.

Barca struggled against Chelsea,United romped it against Arsenal.

Barca didnt have to work overly hard to win La Liga but United were pushed to the limit to win the Premiership.

United fans have every right to be confident.

Of course anything can happen in a game of football,all it takes is one piece of brilliance/defensive error/bad decision or what ever to win a game but thats the nature of the beast.

As for people looking foolish on here if United lose,who cares,its the bloody internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,005 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

enviro wrote: »
    Im a Utd fan and of course I hope Utd get the job done tonight in Rome, I wouldnt right off Barca though. Two super teams one stronger than the other at the back. Attacking, there just isnt anything between them imo. If utd play to their best, they will retain the cup. Utd's Back four to win it for them. Utd 1-0 (vidic)
    Wow, nice timing.

enviro wrote: »

I think there will be more than one goal in the match , 2-0 Utd , maybe 2-1 Utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

I think there will be more than one goal in the match , 2-0 Utd , maybe 2-1 Utd

Yeah you could be right on that, I have the feeling if utd go behind or are pulled back to 1-1, they have it in them to get the goals they need to win it. Lets just hope they take their chances which Im sure they will get. Barca are weak at the back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Yea the build up is really starting to hurt now, I'm confident but I can see that Barca has a special team there and cannot be underestimated. Having said that I am still quite confident and generally really looking forward to the match.

On a side note i done a few silly bet's tonight just for the craic, have a few quid change in the pocket and some time to kill, done 7 separate bets at a pound a go, and a 1 "uber" accu just for the fun;

Ronaldo Hat-Trick 40/1
    Rooney 1st goal + Man Utd win 2-1 (90mins) 60/1
    Time of first goal 71-80 mins 22/1
    Man Utd win 4-0 100/1
    Park 1st goal 20/1
    Draw HT Man U FT 5/1
    No Goalscorer (90mins) 8/1

All will hills prices and I'm pretty sure you could find much better elsewhere. I'm well aware that some bets contradict each other but as i said, its only a few quid for fun.

In other words i want it to go something like (the uber accu);

0-0 Half time, Park 1st goal 72nd min, Ronaldo hat-trick at full time leaving final score Man U 4 - 0 Barca.

I can dream :D

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining this please?

What exactly is amusing about being a bit confident about the game?

Of course fans are going to be confident.

Pound for pound,United have a better squad than Barca IMO.

Barca struggled against Chelsea,United romped it against Arsenal.

Barca didnt have to work overly hard to win La Liga but United were pushed to the limit to win the Premiership.

United fans have every right to be confident.

Of course anything can happen in a game of football,all it takes is one piece of brilliance/defensive error/bad decision or what ever to win a game but thats the nature of the beast.

As for people looking foolish on here if United lose,who cares,its the bloody internet.

touchy no?

'Barca didn't have to work overly hard'...man, i dunno where to start with that. they played a league season, same as utd, had real madrid behind them on an unbelievable run until they hammered them themselves at the Bernabeu. they've worked hard, just like utd have.

pound for pound, the teams on the pitch tomorrow will be pretty much even. defence belongs to utd, midfield to barca, and you can pick and choose from the respective attacks.

my amusement at confidence is in relation to a few on here who reckon this will be very comfortable...2-0, 3-1 etc. there is nothing to suggest this will be the case. are you that much better than chelsea that it will be comfortable?

there's nothing wrong with confidence in your team, but against a Barca team who have been on fire for much of the season, and who are likely to monopolise possession, i'd be more cautious than some.

i mean last year wasn't comfortable for utd against barca. it took a scholes thunderbolt to do it for them.

as i've said numerous times, by all accounts this is on a knife-edge and i'd be bricking it.

but each to their own. fair play for being so confident in your team.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Prob going to avoid in here til after the match.

Come on Utd. Rooney to win it.

See ye all later tonight!

touchy no?

'Barca didn't have to work overly hard'...man, i dunno where to start with that. they played a league season, same as utd, had real madrid behind them on an unbelievable run until they hammered them themselves at the Bernabeu. they've worked hard, just like utd have.

pound for pound, the teams on the pitch tomorrow will be pretty much even. defence belongs to utd, midfield to barca, and you can pick and choose from the respective attacks.

my amusement at confidence is in relation to a few on here who reckon this will be very comfortable...2-0, 3-1 etc. there is nothing to suggest this will be the case. are you that much better than chelsea that it will be comfortable?

there's nothing wrong with confidence in your team, but against a Barca team who have been on fire for much of the season, and who are likely to monopolise possession, i'd be more cautious than some.

i mean last year wasn't comfortable for utd against barca. it took a scholes thunderbolt to do it for them.

as i've said numerous times, by all accounts this is on a knife-edge and i'd be bricking it.

but each to their own. fair play for being so confident in your team.

The point I was making about La Liga was that Barca never looked under pressure or like losing it.Did they have any must win games with Madrid ahead of them?United had severe pressure on them all year,particularly after the Pool and Fulham defeats,Barca didnt.

Look at the table,they are 8 points clear of an ordinary Madrid team with 1 game remaining and 19 points clear of 3rd place.

United were to their tits to win it by 4 points,7 ahead of 3rd place and 18 ahead of an Arsenal team very much in transition and dogged by injury.

How many times did United have to dig deep and fight tooth and nail to get a win - Villa and the second Sunderland game spring to mind.

Lets call a spade a spade,the Spanish league,by and large, is pretty poor but the premiership has come on so much in the last 4 or 5 years.There is no such thing as an easy game anymore in the Premiership.Liverpool can attest to that.Hell there is only 19 points sperating European competition and relegation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The point I was making about La Liga was that Barca never looked under pressure or like losing it.Did they have any must win games with Madrid ahead of them?United had severe pressure on them all year,particularly after the Pool and Fulham defeats,Barca didnt.

Look at the table,they are 8 points clear of an ordinary Madrid team with 1 game remaining and 19 points clear of 3rd place.

United were to their tits to win it by 4 points,7 ahead of 3rd place and 18 ahead of an Arsenal team very much in transition and dogged by injury.

How many times did United have to dig deep and fight tooth and nail to get a win - Villa and the second Sunderland game spring to mind.

Lets call a spade a spade,the Spanish league,by and large, is pretty poor but the premiership has come on so much in the last 4 or 5 years.There is no such thing as an easy game anymore in the Premiership.Liverpool can attest to that.Hell there is only 19 points sperating European competition and relegation!

Oh dear.

i'll give you the united fought hard for the league, maybe harder than barca did. no problem.

but your argument falls terribly when you call the spanish league poor. it's a different style of football, yes, but it ain't poor. not by a long shot. barca have outplayed the league with a superior brand of that style of football.

the respective best brands of two wonderful, effective styles of football will play each other. there is no reason to think it will be comfortable.

again, are utd that much better than chelsea? are they that much better than barca compared to last year?

barca are a great team, as are united, both sets of supporters i would have thought, deep down, are cacking it a bit. it's that close.

i'd be shocked if this wasn't tight, absolutely shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

i'd love to be able to say i think barca will win but i think united will be to strong defensively and on the counter attack for barca to handle them.

as for this cracker of a game some are expecting, prepare for barca holding the ball 30 yards from uniteds goaland unite hittin on the counter i reckon united 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Iniesta was a massive player for barca this year. messi was good. No man united player was as scary as ronaldo from last year, but VDS's record breaking clean sheets along with the defensive strengths this year make me hopefull (MUFC fan here) that United can win 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What time is kick off tonight ?

7.45 or 8.00 ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement