Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    Really getting nervy now. Not real confident, never am. Not as nervous of Barca as I am of United. This season if you asked me to name half a dozen games where United were breath-taking I'd struggle. If United play to their abilities they will give Barca one hell of a game. If they are lacklustre I fear for them.
    Big games needed from everybody tonight and we need someone in the middle to take command and marshal the team. If the team play like they did against Arsenal in the semis I'll have no complaints.
    My team selection right now would have Tevez ahead of Park. Their defence is there for the taking and I'd trust a back four assisted by Rooney, Carrick, Ando and Giggs when we don't have the ball to do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    What time is kick off tonight ?

7.45 or 8.00 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    The point I was making about La Liga was that Barca never looked under pressure or like losing it.Did they have any must win games with Madrid ahead of them?United had severe pressure on them all year,particularly after the Pool and Fulham defeats,Barca didnt.

Look at the table,they are 8 points clear of an ordinary Madrid team with 1 game remaining and 19 points clear of 3rd place.

United were to their tits to win it by 4 points,7 ahead of 3rd place and 18 ahead of an Arsenal team very much in transition and dogged by injury.

How many times did United have to dig deep and fight tooth and nail to get a win - Villa and the second Sunderland game spring to mind.

Lets call a spade a spade,the Spanish league,by and large, is pretty poor but the premiership has come on so much in the last 4 or 5 years.There is no such thing as an easy game anymore in the Premiership.Liverpool can attest to that.Hell there is only 19 points sperating European competition and relegation!

There was pressure when they went to the bernabeu to play second place Madrid a couple of days after drawing nil all with Chelsea. A win would have put them in a really strong position where a loss would have handed the initative to Madrid.

Played some unbelievable stuff winning 3 - 6, under great pressure especially when you consider the rivallry between the clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    ^ 2-6

Sad thing is, if Barca do not win tonight, they will not get the credit they are due. People will just say they are an over rated side who dismantled and dominated a very poor league.

If they do win, people will say that United were more overly exerted over the course of the season and it was a match too far for them, as Barca simply cruised through their season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    I think it will go to the wire.
    Late goal by Barca or Utd or penalties i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

bricking it i am

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ 2-6

Sad thing is, if Barca do not win tonight, they will not get the credit they are due. People will just say they are an over rated side who dismantled and dominated a very poor league.

If they do win, people will say that United were more overly exerted over the course of the season and it was a match too far for them, as Barca simply cruised through their season.

I won't be saying that. Both Barca and United have already had fantastic seasons. This is the two best teams in Europe (IMO) going at it. One will come out on top and earn the right to be called number one, while one will lose and be called the second best. Neither will have there seasons achievments tarnished tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

^ 2-6

I don't think that is true, really.

I think most people, like 99.9%, know Barcelona are a fantastic side, and if they win people will know it is because they are a fantastic side. If the lose people will know it was because they got beaten by another great side.

I do think that the Spanish league has lacked top quality this season, but that doesn't change the fact that Barcelona are a great side - players like Iniesta, Xavi and Messi are absolutely world class, and the caliber of their domestic opposition has no negative bearing on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So nervous today... Dreamt we won it, like ffs.
    Should be an interesting match tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,005 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I am really looking forward to this game tonight. The best two sides in Europe without a shadow of a doubt imo. Its an intriguing match up and the pace of the game should be something to behold.

I really don't care who wins, just the better team on the night and no bad refereeing or a team getting lucky.

I can see Rooney giving that defence nightmares and Ronaldo too obviously.

But at the other end of course Barcelona are going to pose a threat that no other side can against United.

And the midfield battle is mouth watering.
    Heres hoping for one of the best cup finals in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Last night, I had one of the most vivid dreams of my life. Man Utd won 9-0 (they were 7-1 up at half time, not sure how that Barca goal worked). I woke up this morning thinking "I can't believe that happened, I have to look at the highlights again", and reached for my laptop. Then I realised it wasn't real :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

There are no easy games in the Premier League ? The Spanish League is poor ?

Right Barcelona go into this match in great form. They are the only side in Europe who can win the treble (League, CL, domestic cup). Goals scored, goals conceded, points tally and more importantly to the Catalans their style of play is breathtaking.

Problems arise - they are short 3 of their 4 regular defenders. 2 of their most influential players still have doubts surrounding them even starting. But they still have enormous quality - Xavi, the player of the tournament in last years Euros and the world's greatest player - Lionel Messi.

It is a special final with 2 special teams and I cant fcuking wait. I honestly dont know which way it will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    PHB wrote: »
    Anderson will be all over Xavi, Xavi isn't the real worry. We have someone who can mark him (of course Xavi could get the better of him but we've still got somebody to try deal with him.

Iniesta is where we're ****ed to be honest. Carrick will have to put in the defensive performance of his life to stop him.

The reason I say Ronaldo can win this gme on his own is because he really will without a doubt get 2 chances. He always does. While Rooney, Berbatov, Henry, Messi, Eto can no doubt influence a game like few players in the world can, Ronaldo just gets into goal creating situations much more than anyone of them, and its almost a certainty in my mind he'll get two decent enough chances to score tomorrow. It's just a question of what Ronaldo shows up.

United have a defence which can stop Barca's attack. We had 2 clean sheets against them last year. Barca's defence is nowhere near that good, with Alves and Abidal out. United imo have a better rounded team, weaker in midfield I'd say due to injuries, but stronger in defence and attack, which is why I think its like 55-45 to United.

Now here is where I break my silence in this thread when it comes to people spouting absolute fcuking nonsense. Xavi isn't the real threat because you have a hit and miss 21 year old who has been more sh*t than good this season marking arguably the best midfielder in the world this year? Of course their is a high chance that Anderson could do an excellent job on him, but to not be worried about him at all is pretty laughable considering he's got around 30 assists all season I reckon....

Secondly, Ronaldo is the only player in the world who gets himself into at least 2 goal scoring positions regardless of opposition? That's also ridiculous, if you've ever watched football, you'll see that no matter what the game is, at what level, both teams will ALWAYS get two excellent scoring opportunities. Just because United's attack is more heavily geared around Ronaldo, compared to Barca's being evenly balanced between Eto'o, Messi and Henry does NOT mean Ronaldo is better at getting into goal scoring positions. Infact, I'd say Eto'o is better at doing that, it's just he's a bit sh*t at the moment so I can guarantee he'll miss at least one beautiful chance.

While I agree that United have a much much much better defensive back 5 than Barca, there's no denying, to give Barca the edge in midfield only due to injuries is also absolute fcuking nonsense. All of Barca's three first choice midfielders would waltz and pirouette into United's midfield, superior in every aspect of the game. Also, to say United have a better attack is also quite amusing, infact, I'd wager a guess at Barca's front three scoring about the same amount as United's entire team this season. But I guess that's down to La Liga being sh*t right?

Anyway, putting aside the drivel that's being spoken in this thread, tonight is going to be finely finely balanced imo. I definitely think it's in United's favour, not because they have a stronger midfield or attack (because imo Barca are superior in both), but because they work excellently as a defensive unit, and Barca have a had a real tough time against English opposition. Also, United on the counter attack will be deadly against the likes of Sylvinho, who has no pace, and Cacares, who hasn't proven himself against mediocre opposition, not to mind some of the best attackers in the world.

I think the worst thing for Barca is Etoo's absolutely horrible loss of form in the past few weeks. He has been nothing short of atrocious, his touch has been completely lost, he is usually the forward that loses the ball when Barca are patiently building up and attack, and unless the goal keeper is actually taken out of the equation he can't put the ball in the net. It's amazing to see how he transformed in comparison to the first half of the season. I would be more comfortable letting an injured Henry lead the line... Eto'o is the key to the game imo, if he doesn't absolute fcuk up one of the chances he may get, then I can see Barca winning, otherwise I think Utd will do something incredible and retain the trophy...

Also, if it goes to penalties I think Man United will also win, they have bred this winning mentality into them, and have shown it in spades for example against Tottenham, and that's probably the main reason I think they should be favourites. Even when playing badly, they look like they have an air about them that shows they'll win the game, like it's their right... Anyway, absolutely bricking it, hopefully it'll be a cracker of a game the team that plays more effectively wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Oh please united don't let me down. i know u wont.

LETS MAKE HISTORY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tic-tic tic-toc. ffs only 33mins have passed in work! In till half 6 and straight to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Where best to watch in dublin? Cheap pints and craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Havent looked forward to a game so much as this in a long time. Hope it will be free-flowing and we see the best of both teams.
    C'mon United:D

Warper wrote: »
    Right Barcelona go into this match in great form. They are the only side in Europe who can win the treble (League, CL, domestic cup).

Didn't United win their league, didn't they win a domestic cup, don't they have a chance of winning the CL.

I'm not saying its the same as the treble of 99, though when you add in the FIFA World Club Cup, and the manner in which we won the CC (fringe and youth players) its right up there IMO.

United need moments like this:

http://en.soccerclips.net/videos/arsenal-0-3-man-utd-ronaldo

I tried to find a link to the break where Cech saved Tevez' header in last years final but can't find one. It's another example of going defense to attack in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i hear the glaziers will be at the match tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eZe^ wrote: »
    Now here is where I break my silence in this thread when it comes to people spouting absolute fcuking nonsense. Xavi isn't the real threat because you have a hit and miss 21 year old who has been more sh*t than good this season marking arguably the best midfielder in the world this year? Of course their is a high chance that Anderson could do an excellent job on him, but to not be worried about him at all is pretty laughable considering he's got around 30 assists all season I reckon....

Secondly, Ronaldo is the only player in the world who gets himself into at least 2 goal scoring positions regardless of opposition? That's also ridiculous, if you've ever watched football, you'll see that no matter what the game is, at what level, both teams will ALWAYS get two excellent scoring opportunities. Just because United's attack is more heavily geared around Ronaldo, compared to Barca's being evenly balanced between Eto'o, Messi and Henry does NOT mean Ronaldo is better at getting into goal scoring positions. Infact, I'd say Eto'o is better at doing that, it's just he's a bit sh*t at the moment so I can guarantee he'll miss at least one beautiful chance.

While I agree that United have a much much much better defensive back 5 than Barca, there's no denying, to give Barca the edge in midfield only due to injuries is also absolute fcuking nonsense. All of Barca's three first choice midfielders would waltz and pirouette into United's midfield, superior in every aspect of the game. Also, to say United have a better attack is also quite amusing, infact, I'd wager a guess at Barca's front three scoring about the same amount as United's entire team this season. But I guess that's down to La Liga being sh*t right?

Anyway, putting aside the drivel that's being spoken in this thread, tonight is going to be finely finely balanced imo. I definitely think it's in United's favour, not because they have a stronger midfield or attack (because imo Barca are superior in both), but because they work excellently as a defensive unit, and Barca have a had a real tough time against English opposition. Also, United on the counter attack will be deadly against the likes of Sylvinho, who has no pace, and Cacares, who hasn't proven himself against mediocre opposition, not to mind some of the best attackers in the world.

I think the worst thing for Barca is Etoo's absolutely horrible loss of form in the past few weeks. He has been nothing short of atrocious, his touch has been completely lost, he is usually the forward that loses the ball when Barca are patiently building up and attack, and unless the goal keeper is actually taken out of the equation he can't put the ball in the net. It's amazing to see how he transformed in comparison to the first half of the season. I would be more comfortable letting an injured Henry lead the line... Eto'o is the key to the game imo, if he doesn't absolute fcuk up one of the chances he may get, then I can see Barca winning, otherwise I think Utd will do something incredible and retain the trophy...

Also, if it goes to penalties I think Man United will also win, they have bred this winning mentality into them, and have shown it in spades for example against Tottenham, and that's probably the main reason I think they should be favourites. Even when playing badly, they look like they have an air about them that shows they'll win the game, like it's their right... Anyway, absolutely bricking it, hopefully it'll be a cracker of a game the team that plays more effectively wins.

Jaysus eZe at least leave the excuses until after the match, it's 50/50, if the officials get it right, the best team will win.

Barcelona (United fan)
    Headshot wrote: »
    i hear the glaziers will be at the match tonight

Not a big deal, the owners of FC Barcelona are always at every game they play.... ;)

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus eZe at least leave the excuses until after the match, it's 50/50, if the officials get it right, the best team will win.

Not trying to make excuses, it's just how I feel... Although that's not to say Eto'o won't bury his chance and soon after Messi nutmegs Ronaldo and chips VDS... ;)

Not trying to make excuses, it's just how I feel... Although that's not to say Eto'o won't bury his chance and soon after Messi nutmegs Ronaldo and chips VDS... ;)

The only time these two players will meet tonight is when Young Messi asks Ronaldo for his jersey at the end of it. ;)

The only time these two players will meet tonight is when Young Messi asks Ronaldo for his jersey at the end of it. ;)

Ah now not lets get silly. They have to shake hands at the start.

He's hardly going to give away a CL winner jersey!

(Posted in jest, incase I'm seen as an arrogant fan ;) )

Barcelona (United fan)
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    He's hardly going to give away a CL winner jersey!

(Posted in jest, incase I'm seen as an arrogant fan ;) )

The fact that Man United haven't changed their jersey in two seasons is a mere coincidence mate... Messi is hardly going to want last years CL winning jersey when he'll be wearing the 09 winners model... ;)

Actually love the part in the Ronaldo v Ronaldo interview when he asks does he think he is better than Messi, Interviewed Ronaldo is hinting maybe yes, while Interviewer Ronalo is shaking his head and saying no. :D Brilliant!!

The fact that Man United haven't changed their jersey in two seasons is a mere coincidence mate... Messi is hardly going to want last years CL winning jersey when he'll be wearing the 09 winners model... ;)

I suppose it might ease the blow of having to wear pink next season :D

Barcelona (United fan)
    Colourblind much?

prd_maxzoom_barca-55656.jpg

It's just a disgusting orange colour.

Colourblind much?

prd_maxzoom_barca-55656.jpg

It's just a disgusting orange colour.

It's Pink!! :D

• Advertisement

british fan stabbed in the leg .

Faded salmon..... definitely not orange though!

It's Pink!! :D

Probably call it "salmon" next .... ;)

british fan stabbed in the leg .
    Not surprising - there will be a high enough number stabbed in the leg and the ass - the Ultra's love it.

Just thinking about Barcas line up. I know I posted earlier I reckoned Toure would be in midfield, but as I also mentioned, Busquets has been rested for the last few games. So I think Toure will play centre half with Pique and Puyol right back, with Busquets playing the DM position. It is probably the best idea given how poorly Cacares has performed throughout the season.

7.45 can not come quick enough, and even then I will be a nervous wreck for the enxt few hours. The anticipation is killing me.

Actually eve I trust your infinite wisdom on all things Barca. How do you think Barca will line up. Assuming Henry and Inestia are fit to start.

Not surprising - there will be a high enough number stabbed in the leg and the ass - the Ultra's love it.

really a disgrace the final is in Rome, after what the ultras did to arsenal fans and utd fans, but thats uefa for ya,joke of an organistion

really a disgrace the final is in Rome, after what the ultras did to arsenal fans and utd fans, but thats uefa for ya,joke of an organistion

I believe Boro as well, and didn't they get involved with some Spanish supporters before.

Moscow and Rome have been two very stupid decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/27/manchester-united-stabbed-rome-championsleague

Its ridiculous, why are they still sending English fans to Rome.

Also
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8068088.stm

• Advertisement

From Sky:
    Cristiano Ronaldo has provided Manchester United with a late injury scare ahead of the UEFA Champions League final after requiring treatment in training.

The Portuguese winger needed strapping on his ankle during Tuesday evening's training session at the Stadio Olimpico.

Ronaldo, who missed the start of the season after undergoing ankle surgery, is expected to be fit for Wednesday's showpiece in Rome.

The 24-year-old is likely to start up front against Barcelona, with Wayne Rooney and Park Ji-sung tipped to provide support from wide.

Nemanja Vidic was also photographed during the session holding his hamstring, but United have confirmed the Serbian is fit.

Vidic's central defensive partner Rio Ferdinand has also declared himself fit to start the final after a recent absence due to a calf injury.

Barcelona had injury concerns of their own during their final training session after midfielder Sergi Busquets required treatment.

Busquets is expected to start in a holding midfield role, with Barcelona's defensive issues likely to lead to Yaya Toure dropping into the back-line.

Andres Iniesta and Thierry Henry did train on Tuesday evening after recent injury lay-offs and the duo should start for Pep Guardiola's side.

Funny. This is the first time in a very long tiome that the English team in the final are seen by the public as favourites.

Ac Milan Vs Liverpool
    Barcelona Vs Arsenal
    AC Milan Vs Liverpool
    Bayern Vs Man Utd

The English team was always the underdog.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing to worry about, Ronaldo frequently has his ankles supported with tape.

You would need to cut a leg off Vidic for him to miss this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

could not agree more! disgrace of a decision and after what has happened there before they should have known better!

Funny. This is the first time in a very long tiome that the English team in the final are seen by the public as favourites.

Ac Milan Vs Liverpool
    Barcelona Vs Arsenal
    AC Milan Vs Liverpool
    Bayern Vs Man Utd

apart from last year :)

Also I thought Barca were favourites with the bookies?

Ac Milan Vs Liverpool
    Barcelona Vs Arsenal
    AC Milan Vs Liverpool
    Bayern Vs Man Utd

Barcelona are the favourites for this game, aren't they?

• Advertisement

United slight favourites according to PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Forget the bookies, United are favourites. Holders and far more convincing in the semi final.

Barcelona were favourites but not anymore - Utd are now slight favs though some bookies have them joint favs.

could not agree more! disgrace of a decision and after what has happened there before they should have known better!

the manchester utd fan is out of hospital now

so he's ok

in this day of age to have so called fans like the ultra's its a digrace,Roma should be banned from european competitions (couple of seasons)and play league games in a closed stadium 10 games will do

that'll ****ing teach them

K4t wrote: »
    Forget the bookies, United are favourites. Holders and far more convincing in the semi final.

I am not so sure about this. United played an Arsenal team who were rubbish over the 2 legs whereas Barca played a Chelsea team in their best form of the season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement