Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Wonder what odds you'd get on O'Shea to outscore Henry??

God this day at work is going so bloody slow. Thank God I can get off early at four. The boys on RTE aren't starting any earlier than the usual 7 bells are they??

Sky start at six, RTE at 7, UTV at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

s_carnage wrote: »
    Wonder what odds you'd get on O'Shea to outscore Henry??

God this day at work is going so bloody slow. Thank God I can get off early at four. The boys on RTE aren't starting any earlier than the usual 7 bells are they??

Nope Dont Think So. Sky Sports Has Coverage From 6pm.
    To Bad The Dodgy Box Is F*cked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    i reckon Rooney will be playin right mid but he'll be playin more like a right back.

really hope Barca can win this...but think utd will score with a set piece free kick :(

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Nope Dont Think So. Sky Sports Has Coverage From 6pm.
    To Bad The Dodgy Box Is F*cked :(

you just have the wrong one.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mada999 wrote: »
    really hope Barca can win this...but think utd will score with a set piece free kick :(

my feelings on it exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

you mean fall for one of Ronaldo's "simulations" right on the edge of the D?
    Yep thats Exactly What I Mean :pac:
    Or This ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-Zqvlz3bA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i reckon Rooney will be playin right mid but he'll be playin more like a right back.

I think you are wrong - and i don't understand why you would think this to begin with. How many times have we seen rooney played out on the right in comparison to how many times we have seen him on the left?

If he starts on the wing, and I expect that he will, he will start on the left like he always does in these situations. I'd imagine Rooney would fair a lot better vs Puyol than Park would too. If Puyol and Sylvinho are the fullbacks, Rooney left and Park right is a much better physical match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronaldo out wide but that wouldn't necessarily be too attacking as Mitch says.
    I'm sure Ferguson will have some particular plan to attack the Barca back four's weaknesses. It might be Berbs to use his hold up play, Ronaldo to go at someone in particular, etc.

But whatever way it turns out I hope we don't fall into crazy defensive mode at any point.

Oh and..
    Roma fans = Scum
    UEFA = Idiots
    English teams should refuse to play in Rome. It's a total joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I say Xavi isn't Barca's biggest threat isn't an insult to him. It's like saying how Berbatov/Tevez won't be United's biggest threat. It's because they are actually playing against a very good player in their position.

Iniesta is the biggest threat is because United have nobody who can really deal with him. Ronaldo is United's biggest threat because Slyvinho can't really deal with him.

Obviously Xavi could win the battle and win the game, just like Berbatov could, but Iniesta and Ronaldo are more likely to do it.

---

****ing disgraceful decision to give Rome the final after the constant stabbings, constant. It's an absolute joke and I think that the tourists should sue UEFA.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Yep thats Exactly What I Mean :pac:
    Or This ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-Zqvlz3bA

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KxomccYNU
    or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI3uOFu8-WM&feature=related
    or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSZE7h5gyto&feature=related

Ronaldo isn't the only player that dives.

• Advertisement

no but he does it more frequently imo!

I think you are wrong - and i don't understand why you would think this to begin with. How many times have we seen rooney played out on the right in comparison to how many times we have seen him on the left?

If he starts on the wing, and I expect that he will, he will start on the left like he always does in these situations. I'd imagine Rooney would fair a lot better vs Puyol than Park would too. If Puyol and Sylvinho are the fullbacks, Rooney left and Park right is a much better physical match.

yeah think you could be right there if park is playin and i think he should start!

PHB wrote: »
    I say Xavi isn't Barca's biggest threat isn't an insult to him. It's like saying how Berbatov/Tevez won't be United's biggest threat. It's because they are actually playing against a very good player in their position.

Iniesta is the biggest threat is because United have nobody who can really deal with him. Ronaldo is United's biggest threat because Slyvinho can't really deal with him.

Obviously Xavi could win the battle and win the game, just like Berbatov could, but Iniesta and Ronaldo are more likely to do it.

anderson quietening xavi, on recent form, is as likely as sylvinho quietening ronaldo.

that's not a slight on anderson, it's a compliment to pretty much the best midfield playmaker on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have my Barca jersey bought and ready to wear. They were flying out of the shops yesterday.

COME ON BARCA!!!!!!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I have my Barca jersey bought and ready to wear. They were flying out of the shops yesterday.

COME ON BARCA!!!!!!!!

lol - pathetic. (them flying out of the shops - how pathetically ABU)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    ^ Not to be had in Cork for weeks I am told.

And Mitch, I am sure there were lots of Man U fans doing similar when Liverpool played AC Milan in those finals. Its just a bit of fun.

It's not pathetic. It's football. Deal with it. Don't like Utd, hope Barca win!! No big deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

It's not pathetic. It's football. Deal with it. Don't like Utd, hope Barca win!! No big deal!

Its pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SlickRic wrote: »
    anderson quietening xavi, on recent form, is as likely as sylvinho quietening ronaldo.

that's not a slight on anderson, it's a compliment to pretty much the best midfield playmaker on the planet.

Hey, I'm not expecting Anderson to entirely win the battle. It's just he's done it before to Fabregas and Alonso, and can do it.
    We've got nobody to deal with Iniesta. Fletcher or ideally Hargreaves woulda be great, but now it's gona have to be Carrick. It's like asking Xavi to mark Gerrard. Just doesn't look too good.

I suspect that Iniesta will give Vidic a torrid time.

• Advertisement

Not liking United and hoping Barca win is not the pathetic part. Going out and buying a Barca jersey so you can shout about it is.

Its pathetic.

sorry, but how is it pathetic to not like utd and want barca to win?

honestly.

i wouldn't buy a jersey specially but still, people have a right to cheer for, and cheer against, whoever the f*** they like.

you'd do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

but your argument falls terribly when you call the spanish league poor. it's a different style of football, yes, but it ain't poor. not by a long shot. barca have outplayed the league with a superior brand of that style of football.

Not sure who you follow but say its one of the top 4.

You're team is playing in the champions league,would you have ANY fear about Spanish opposition?

Grand,a little bit of caution when it comes to Barca but who else is there?

Madrid have turned into a parody,who does that leave,Villareal,Sevilla or Athletico as the next level of teams.

In years past when United got a Spanish team I would brick it.

Deportivo,Valencia,even Betis to a certain extent where powerhouse teams.

What are they now?

Jokes of teams is what.

Thats why I said,and still maintain that by and large,the Spanish league is poor.

Ill allow the touchiness to be a result of frayed nerves at this stage :)

But its justa bit of fun. The Barca jersey is nice anyway and is probably on offer given that they are changing shirt AGAIN this summer.

honestly.

i wouldn't buy a jersey specially but still, people have a right to cheer for, and cheer against, whoever the f*** they like.

you'd do the same.
    Not liking United and hoping Barca win is not the pathetic part. Going out and buying a Barca jersey so you can shout about it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I haven't bought one, but the only other jersey I've ever thought of buying was a Barca one and I'm sure many other people feel the same. I wouldn't call it pathetic or ABU to be honest, just pro Barca.

Hmmmm, why should i cheer on Utd then. I hate them, but should i support so that i don't appear pathetic?

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Not to be had in Cork for weeks I am told.

And Mitch, I am sure there were lots of Man U fans doing similar when Liverpool played AC Milan in those finals. Its just a bit of fun.

And that is equally pathetic. I wanted Milan to win, but there is no way I would buy a Milan jersey JUST for that reason.

I do have a couple of barcelona tops myself, no problem with people buying them in general - but to buy them purely because they are playing United in the final is pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Well look at the bright side, Unicef just got some money :D

As for the Anderson vs Xavi battle. All I can say is Xavi might not be able to dribble past him but watch him play one two's with people all night. It's his passing that kills, not his runs. I think Carrick will be told to takle Xavi with Anderson being told to sit back deeper than normal and intercepting passes, which, he does well to be fair. I also feel Park may be assigned to track Iniesta allot tonight, stopping Xavi and Iniesta slows Barca down allot. But, Messi will just come deep and pick up the ball and with so many players watching Xavi and Iniesta's passes Messi will ultimately have room.

But hey, all of this is mere speculation and to be quite frank, we are almost better off waiting untill we see how the teams line up before we begin discussing who will be marking who.

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »

You're team is playing in the champions league,would you have ANY fear about Spanish opposition?

Madrid have turned into a parody,who does that leave,Villareal,Sevilla or Athletico as the next level of teams.

What are they now?

Jokes of teams is what.

Thats why I said,and still maintain that by and large,the Spanish league is poor.

yeah you really hammered Villareal earlier in the rounds didn't you?

where did they finish in the league by the way? yup, 5th.

the spanish league has far more depth than the English league. the top English teams are the strongest, obviously, but the league as a whole in Spain is not poor. not even close.

Hmmmm, why should i cheer on Utd then. I hate them, but should i support so that i don't appear pathetic?

Nobody is saying you shouldn't support whoever the hell you like.

Buying a Barca jersey especially for this game is pathetic.

What are they now?

Jokes of teams is what.

Puh, I am sure people would have said the same ten years ago about drawing Newcastle or Leeds in the champins league. Where are they now?

Depor punched above their weight for a few seasons, Valencia have an idiot of an owner who has had a huge hand in destroying what the club was on the verge of, and I can never remember Betis being much more than what they are now.

The Spanish League is not poor. By that reckoning every league in Europe is poor as it is not as good as the EPL

honestly.

you'd do the same.

That isn't what i said, and I specifically clarified that in my post so as people would not assume that is what I ment. Going out to buy a jersey for a team you do not support, purely because they are playing a team you don't like in a final is pathetic. No problem with people wanting Barcelona to win. If they were playing anyone but United I would want the same (and I'd be wearing my Barcelona top too) but to go out and spend money on a jersey purely cause you don't like United is pathetically ABU.

That isn't what i said, and I specifically clarified that in my post so as people would not assume that is what I ment. Going out to buy a jersey for a team you do not support, purely because they are playing a team you don't like in a final is pathetic. No problem with people wanting Barcelona to win. If they were playing anyone but United I would want the same (and I'd be wearing my Barcelona top too) but to go out and spend money on a jersey purely cause you don't like United is pathetically ABU.

fair enough.

if that's the case i agree entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What are they now?

Jokes of teams is what.

This makes no sense whatsoever. United are better than all the Premier League. They would expect to beat nearly every team. Just like Barca would expect to beat every team in the Spanish league. Your view is slightly skewed as a supporter of the European Champions, what kind of level do you expect the teams to be at?

I don't know if I am actually making sense.

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    I haven't bought one, but the only other jersey I've ever thought of buying was a Barca one and I'm sure many other people feel the same. I wouldn't call it pathetic or ABU to be honest, just pro Barca.

As I have said, no problem with people buying Barcelona jerseys in general. My issue is people buying them yesterday/today purely because they are playing United in the final.

I read Ronaldo is a late fitness concern. That would be catastrophic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    yeah you really hammered Villareal earlier in the rounds didn't you?

where did they finish in the league by the way? yup, 5th.

the spanish league has far more depth than the English league. the top English teams are the strongest, obviously, but the league as a whole in Spain is not poor. not even close.

Also, don't forget about Liverpool absolutely obliterating Atletico Madrid. People need to get over this 'my league has a bigger d*ck' than yours phase. Clearly every top league in the world has something different to offer, La Liga is more technically orientated, and springs more surprises when it comes to results. The premier league has the strength, and it has all the commercial bells and whistles, Italy has a nice balance of both in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Cant see past Utd for this.

Barce have just never impressed me against the English sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The whole cheering on the opposition is par for the course and doesnt bother me in the slightest.When Liverpool played in finals past I always hoped they would lose,because to me personally,they are worse than cancer.Anyone else I wouldnt care either way.

However going out to buy a jersey,JUST to cheer on a team because of who they are playing is probably the saddest and most laughable thing Ive ever heard.And that goes for anyone that would do it,United fans included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I'm looking forward to this.Messi will destroy Uniteds defence:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

LOL at anyone who thinks Anderson would have a chance of keeping Xavi quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

From flame-baiting to the merits of the Spanish league to buying Barcelona jerseys, everyone in on the act - the epitomy of a Soccer forum thread!

Support who you want, that was never the point, and I thought that was quite clear.

LOL at anyone who thinks Anderson would have a chance of keeping Xavi quiet.

He has kept Fabregas and Gerrard quiet in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

As I have said, no problem with people buying Barcelona jerseys in general. My issue is people buying them yesterday/today purely because they are playing United in the final.

Well, if someone were to buy a Barcelona jersey purely for that reason, then yeah it's fairly pathetic, but I think it's pretty obvious that a lot of people admire Barcelona and the football they play, especially his season. So, maybe the fact that they're playing United in the final has given people that extra incentive to buy a Barca jersey, but I think it's pretty naive to assume that the majority of people are doing it purely because it's United.

EDIT: Not that that's what you're assuming.

Buying a Barca jersey especially for this game is pathetic.

No, it's really not. It's a bit of craic!! Now get a grip, young man. We're all gonna die one day and i won't be laying on my death bed with my one big regret being that i went out and bought a Barca jersey and ruffled a few wee Utd feathers!

Jaysus, you'd swear i walked into a synagogue wearing a nazi uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Option 8. Don't care. Game will likely be decided by the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this.Messi will destroy Uniteds defence:D

:D oh ya hes been brillaint against epl sides hasnt he.

because to me personally,they are worse than cancer.

a bit much don't you think??

• Advertisement
Advertisement