Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

monkey9 wrote: »
    No, it's really not. It's a bit of craic!! Now get a grip, young man. We're all gonna die one day and i won't be laying on my death bed with my one big regret being that i went out and bought a Barca jersey and ruffled a few wee Utd feathers!

Jaysus, you'd swear i walked into a synagogue wearing a nazi uniform.

Buying it soley for the purpose of this match to support Barce because they are playing United IS pathetic.

No one is saying you should regret it. But it is pathetic. Would you do it if it was a Barce Porto/Barce Arsenal final. No, I doubt it highly.

Just another bitter Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

As I have said, no problem with people buying Barcelona jerseys in general. My issue is people buying them yesterday/today purely because they are playing United in the final.

You have an issue with it? Do you really? Is it an actual issue for you? Does it grate at you, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

SlickRic wrote: »
    a bit much don't you think??

Yup waaay too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    Headshot wrote: »
    :D oh ya hes been brillaint against epl sides hasnt he.

How good has Ronaldo been against Spanish sides? Has he ever scored against one? (I genuinely don't know, he missed a penalty last year)

Guarantee it means fcuk all though, and that either player could score the winning goal tonight.

Buying it soley for the purpose of this match to support Barce because they are playing United IS pathetic.

No one is saying you should regret it. But it is pathetic. Would you do it if it was a Barce Porto/Barce Arsenal final. No, I doubt it highly.

Just another bitter Liverpool fan.

Of course, i wouldn't? Why would i?? I don't really hate those teams.

And like my mates wore AC Milan jerseys in 05 and 07, i shall be wearing a Barca one tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    He has kept Fabregas and Gerrard quiet in the past.

Xavi is twice the player Cesc is. Also Gerard is a totally different player, Xavi plays passes quickly, and holds play up and looks for weighted passes. Gerard gets the ball, runs and tries to skip past players and shoot. Totaly different.
    It's harder to mark a Xavi type player than a Gerard imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    a bit much don't you think??

Not in this case my friend.

Anyway,this isnt the place to debate my hatred of other teams.

Heres looking forward to a cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

eZe^ wrote: »
    How good has Ronaldo been against Spanish sides? Has he ever scored against one? (I genuinely don't know, he missed a penalty last year)

Guarantee it means fcuk all though, and that either player could score the winning goal tonight.

No goals in six games I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You have an issue with it? Do you really? Is it an actual issue for you? Does it grate at you, yeah?

I think it is pathetic - that is the issue. If it were not an issue, I would think nothing at all of it, so I would not think it pathetic. The fact I do think it is pathetic, clearly indicates I take issue with it. Why are you taking issue with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

I'm hoping Barca win tonight, purely because of Henry as i'm an Arsenal fan.
    But i do think buying a Barca shirt for the final is pathetic.

I think it is pathetic - that is the issue. If it were not an issue, I would think nothing at all of it, so I would not think it pathetic. The fact I do think it is pathetic, clearly indicates I take issue with it. Why are you taking issue with that?

Because i think it's pathetic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Both teams are on good form and both have won their respective leagues so confidence shouldn't be an issue for either side.

As a Man U fan, the fact that Barca generally struggle against English teams, particularly over the past couple of seasons, gives me confidence. United's defence and midfield are pretty damn solid, and they did a damn good job last season at the Nou Camp against pretty similar personnel.

Hopefully United'll snuff them out, and win it on the counter-attack. Tbh I just think Man U will be too much for tem physically, and tactically Barcelona aren't that great. Set-pieces could be crucial too, Barca's team is generally lacking in height. And despite Barca's prowess, I can see Man U's forwards creating more clear-cut chances against a shaky defence and goalie.

That said, it's a final and anything can happen. And Barcelona's attacking talent is capable of anything. All it takes is one moment of genius from Messi or Henry or whoever and the game could be over. Likewise for Man U. Hoepfully it'll be enteetaining, and hopefully the ref doesn't make a bad decision which influences where the trophy is going.

People say Messi has never scored against an English side, and under performs. Can you remember one moment against any Spanish team that Ronaldo made you say "wow" ?

I can't, I do how ever remember messi clipping the ball over Evra's head last year and getting past one or two players easily. Also, I remember Messi as an 18 year old giving Chelsea a torrid time before getting injured. So based on over all performances against an English side, you can't say Messi has played bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Not in this case my friend.

Anyway,this isnt the place to debate my hatred of other teams.

Heres looking forward to a cracking game.

fair enough. but you do know what cancer is right? it's fairly pathetic to say anything to do with football is worse than cancer, whether it's a turn of phrase or not.

but you're right, we'll save it for another time.

anyway, i agree, it should be a cracking game.

Because i think it's pathetic!!

so it grates you?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    He has kept Fabregas and Gerrard quiet in the past.

Fabregas is not nearly the player Xavi is. Gerrard is a totally different type player to Xavi, so I think your point is flawed.

"United's defence and midfield are pretty damn solid"

Defence yes, midfield? Not really, Anderson is quality but realistically the mid field is United's only weakness. Can you imagine if Xavi played for United :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

No, it's really not. It's a bit of craic!! Now get a grip, young man. We're all gonna die one day and i won't be laying on my death bed with my one big regret being that i went out and bought a Barca jersey and ruffled a few wee Utd feathers!

Jaysus, you'd swear i walked into a synagogue wearing a nazi uniform.

I only have a problem here in a financial sense. You are now spending money for the sole purpose of showing how much you hate United.
    When Pool played AC Milan I sat among a bunch of pool and United supporters (all mates of mine). I cheered on Milan all night and had a bit of banter and the most banter was about taking the piss out of a United fan who went out that day and bought an AC jersey, by both sides.
    If you enjoy it good luck to ya, it's not really gonna upset any United fans and I hope you don't get caught by a real Barca fan wanting to discuss their season with you.

Come now folks we have been going good since the thread was reopen. Lets leave the cancer talk, and jersey talk for another day, and another thread.

gimmick wrote: »
    Fabregas is not nearly the player Xavi is. Gerrard is a totally different type player to Xavi, so I think your point is flawed.

Said almost the same thing. Great minds eh?

• Advertisement

Davaeo09 wrote: »

Defence yes, midfield? Not really, Anderson is quality but realistically the mid field is United's only weakness. Can you imagine if Xavi played for United :eek:.

Yeah but you can't argue that they are pretty solid defensively. Our defense record (which is pretty good) is not just because of the back four.

I think thats what the poster implied as solid.

They are all also decent enough on the ball, but not near Xavi level on it. (well maybe Scholes on his best day which hasn't been for a while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barcelona (United fan)
    Just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion on the game. Other topics are for other threads.

And while I'm here, Xavi is the best midfielder in the world......EVER! And I'm not one to exaggerate.

If Xavi played for united that would be great - as it would weaken the Barcelona side, but I personally think United would be a lot better with, for example, Essien in midfield over Xavi. Not a slight on Xavi, i just think United are missing a player like Essien more so than Xavi. as passers of the ball Carrick and Scholes aren't too bad, but we don't have a physically dominating player like Essien.

fair enough. but you do know what cancer is right? it's fairly pathetic to say anything to do with football is worse than cancer, whether it's a turn of phrase or not.

but you're right, we'll save it for another time.

anyway, i agree, it should be a cracking game.

Just a final point,yes I do know what cancer is,I have lost 2 grandparents and an aunt to it and know alot of people that have suffered similar losses aswell.

Poor choice of words on my part perhaps,but my disdain knows no boundaries when it comes to Liverpool which is why I generally dont bother explaining myself to strangers.

Anyway,apologies if I caused any offence.

gimmick wrote: »

But both are very very good players, who Anderson has shut out of games in the past. I'm not saying that proves he WILL shut Xavi out, just saying that he has shut out players considered to be amongst the very best midfielders around.

If Xavi played for united that would be great - as it would weaken the Barcelona side, but I personally think United would be a lot better with, for example, Essien in midfield over Xavi. Not a slight on Xavi, i just think United are missing a player like Essien more so than Xavi. as passers of the ball Carrick and Scholes aren't too bad, but we don't have a physically dominating player like Essien.

Fair point really, but when Hargreaves is back he is pretty good at winning the ball back :D

And I agree, Xavi is the most underrated player in this day and age, along side Iniesta ( out side of Spain ofc )

But both are very very good players, who Anderson has shut out of games in the past. I'm not saying that proves he WILL shut Xavi out, just saying that he has shut out players considered to be amongst the very best midfielders around.

Meh, I don't read much into certain players getting the better over certain players. An sub-average player by virtue of hard work can make it difficult for even the best of players. You don't need to be a footballing genius to get in someone's face for the whole game.

Thus, yeah it's not beyond Anderson or whoever to snuff out Xavi or whoever.

Fair point really, but when Hargreaves is back he is pretty good at winning the ball back :D

And I agree, Xavi is the most underrated player in this day and age, along side Iniesta ( out side of Spain ofc )

If Hargreaves can stay fit...

I don't understand who Xavi and Iniesta are underrated by - I don't think you'll find a poster on here who would not love either player in their team or think they are anything less than brilliant. I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find someone amongst any football knowledgable crowd. They mightn't be know by the more casual of supporters, but who cares what they think!!

Come now folks we have been going good since the thread was reopen. Lets leave the cancer talk, and jersey talk for another day, and another thread.

Fair enough........now anyone know where i can buy a sombrero???!!!

but I personally think United would be a lot better with, for example, Essien in midfield over Xavi. Not a slight on Xavi, i just think United are missing a player like Essien

I agree with this. Would Xavis "silkiness2 be a plus in the English game? Hard to say. We all know how good Essien is from his performances over his time with Chelsea.
    Dave009 wrote:

Not anymore. I think peoples eyes have been well and truly opened to these two in the last 12 months. Its crazy to think that Iniesta did not even make the FIFA top 50 last year!!!!

• Advertisement

Meh, I don't read much into certain players getting the better over certain players. An sub-average player by virtue of hard work can make it difficult for even the best of players. You don't need to be a footballing genius to get in someone's face for the whole game.

Thus, yeah it's not beyond Anderson or whoever to snuff out Xavi or whoever.

Such as Phil Neville schooling Vieira more than once:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

this thread.....
    omg this thread was going so well,really astonishing how things change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Nope Dont Think So. Sky Sports Has Coverage From 6pm.
    To Bad The Dodgy Box Is F*cked :(

I dont think I could watch this match on Sky - they would absolutely ruin it.

Warper wrote: »

Match Analysis - RTE for funsies.

Commentary - Sky for me; can't stand listenting to the guys during the game. Pic quality is better on Sky too.

Warper wrote: »

Ah I watch the extra hours build up on it though. There video packages normally get my nicely hyped up.

Barca had 4 players in the "world player of the year" short list of 10. Eto'o, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. I think next years awards will be close between Messi, Iniesta and Xavi (and Ronaldo ofc). The whole world will be watching those three tonight.

BUT, saying that these close finals are normally decided buy an unexpected source i.e. Rio to score a header in the last 5 minutes, or Toure to lob the keeper. I think its an insult to some of the players out there tonight, to expect Ronaldo and Messi to provide the magic. Both teams have 11 players capable of a moments brilliance, and in soccer, it only takes a moment to make a difference :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

lol - pathetic. (them flying out of the shops - how pathetically ABU)

The world doesnt revolve around Man Utd:rolleyes:

Barcelona have more supporters in Europe than Utd. do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Sky Sports HD FTW!!!!!
    Deffo switch over to Dunphy & the lads pre-match, HT & FT.

Ah I watch the extra hours build up on it though. There video packages normally get my nicely hyped up.

I'll have MUTV on for the build up. Totally biased, yep and i love it:D Plus they'll have the teams first, as well as more interviews and United related stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Best thing with losing the dodgy box is not having to listen to Jamie spout on for an hour before the RTE boyos come on. Maybe a few games of United Barca on ISS to pass the time!!!

Headshot wrote: »
    this thread.....
    omg this thread was going so well,really astonishing how things change

agreed.

and apologies for my part in that.

one can get carried away as we all know.

the discussion's generally been so good, because the match is so finely balanced when it comes down to it. there are so many ways this game can go, so many game breakers, and so many ways in which, particularly utd, can play it.

i just really hope it's a good one, above all else.

I'll have MUTV on for the build up. Totally biased, yep and i love it:D Plus they'll have the teams first, as well as more interviews and United related stuff.

Also, if your a Barca fan I am sure the online radio stream (@ fcbarcelona.com) will have news and gossip well before other media sources.

I'm looking forward to see how Man U handle Barca's pressing when they don't have the ball. They generally tend to press really high up the pitch, means less running. If United can keep their heads, and not give it away cheaply, and get their groove going they could expose Barca.

Anyone know where Souness is gonna be tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Loads of talk in the media about Messi obviously.

But Henry is a huge threat to United imo. We don't know how fit and sharp he's going to be. If he's in any sort of good form he'll be a real headache. Loads of pace and a wicked long range shot too. How many times has he fcuked us up over the years?

• Advertisement

Anyone know where Souness is gonna be tonight?

can't wait to see how Bill baits the panel...especially if Souey's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

It's not pathetic. It's football. Deal with it. Don't like Utd, hope Barca win!! No big deal!

if a united fan did that the other way around, you would claim they were 'obsessed' with liverpool

can't wait to see how Bill baits the panel...especially if Souey's there.

Agreed,he is a master at drawing them out.

Some one just hit on it there, but apart from Barca's possession and attacking philosophy, they do work really hard for the ball back. It's some thing that's really made them such a different team this year to last years. Players like Henry and Messi really do chase the ball allot i.e. look at Messi's goal against Madrid earlier this month, Xavi catches Diarra in possesion and Messi's straight through. United will find it hard passing through Barca tonight, but if they do, well, I expect Ronaldo to make a fool out of Pique and Sylviniho. (pressuming the later starts)

Souness is on Sky tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement