Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    Anyone know where Souness is gonna be tonight?

Souness is with Sky i think, nearly sure i saw him in their CL Final montage add..

Found it very amusing that they had clips of Keys and co talking in their CL ads - "With Expert coverage". lol, never seen the pundits getting in on these ads before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Pro. F wrote: »
    Loads of talk in the media about Messi obviously.

But Henry is a huge threat to United imo. We don't know how fit and sharp he's going to be. If he's in any sort of good form he'll be a real headache. Loads of pace and a wicked long range shot too. How many times has he fcuked us up over the years?

It's a definite worry. He can't be 100% but the quality of football he has been playing this year, even at 80% is going to give John O Shea plenty of headaches. Barca have so many key men in so many areas that can hurt United but if Uniteds defence can keep strong and become the rock they have been in so many matches it should prove to be the foundation for another glorious night.

Here's hoping!!!!

s_carnage wrote: »
    It's a definite worry. He can't be 100% but the quality of football he has been playing this year, even at 80% is going to give John O Shea plenty of headaches. Barca have so many key men in so many areas that can hurt United but if Uniteds defence can keep strong and become the rock they have been in so many matches it should prove to be the foundation for another glorious night.

Here's hoping!!!!
    We need a big performance from midfield - we need them to help close down barcelona round the edge of the box - for passing and shooting. the reason Fletcher is such a massive loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    Fletcher is such a massive loss.
    Feel so sorry for him and Abidal...Given harsh red cards but didnt put up a fuss just walked off...Tough one to call..Barca would have it in the bag if they there full team but now its just to close to call..All comes to down to how many players from each team turn up and give a performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

from kick off utd have to hassel the hell out of barca dont give them time on the ball,set pieces for utd are very important,I expect vidic to be the real danger man for set pieces ie corners,if Park and Rooney are on the wings and Ronaldo up front,cross a few balls in for Ronaldo he's great in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We need a big performance from midfield - we need them to help close down barcelona round the edge of the box - for passing and shooting. the reason Fletcher is such a massive loss.

in a nutshell.

if utd somehow win the midfield battle, or even get an above average foothold from there, barca will struggle to do it.

i've every confidence in xavi and andrés though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Soby wrote: »
    Barca would have it in the bag if they there full team

no they wouldn't have, as much as i hate to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd Glory Glory Man Utd

The Red Devils all the way!

Ya he is such a big loss, his performances this year would be made for this game. I still think Anderson can do the business though.

Was looking at Paddy Power there and thinking about putting on a bet or two but God its impossible. I know betting isn't meant to be easy but usually with most games you'd have a slight idea how it is going to go but with this....nothing!!! Think I'll put the betting to the side for another night or just do the lotto instead. What a night that would be: €13mill and United Champions of Europe. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All i can say is

COME ON BARCA

• Advertisement

Even if Fletcher was available, Anderson would have started imo.

Would have been Fletcher - Carrick - Anderson. With Fletcher and Anderson detailed to buzz around Xavi and Iniesta for the night. I reckon it would have been the exact same team as played Arsenal away.

I do hope, and think, Anderson can put in a top performance for us, but we'll still miss Fletcher.

ando needs to bring it tonight,really hope he proves people wrong,the lad has great ability like able to do a proper long range pass eg pass for giggs against pompey and he has such strength,well capable of holding up the ball and has some burst of pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hittin the Woolshed now, figure its safer/has more alcohol/better craic than Rome.

Talk to you's all tomorrow, in the hazy glow of a fourth European Cup Success.

You En Eye- Tea Ee Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Some one just hit on it there, but apart from Barca's possession and attacking philosophy, they do work really hard for the ball back. It's some thing that's really made them such a different team this year to last years. Players like Henry and Messi really do chase the ball allot i.e. look at Messi's goal against Madrid earlier this month, Xavi catches Diarra in possesion and Messi's straight through. United will find it hard passing through Barca tonight, but if they do, well, I expect Ronaldo to make a fool out of Pique and Sylviniho. (pressuming the later starts)

I've been thinking about this. It's true Barca have been good when closing down this season but how good at it are they? I mean I wouldn't think they're as a good as say Everton.

So I hope United don't get intimidated when they have the ball because Barca are doing some harassing. It's hard to go for long periods without the ball and then when you've got it to be chased and harried. But I think if the United team can ride it out and keep possession for reasonable periods Barca might be found to not be so tenacious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yeah people whats your crazy bets for tonight.

I have

€5 on 3-1 to United at 20-1.
    €5 on John O'Shea to score first at 40/1
    €10 on Vidic to score first at 25/1.

I'm crap at betting though. I did manage to resist putting a punt on Anderson though as John O'Shea is longer odds but probably more likely to score. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

14/1 or there abouts for O'shea to be first yellow card...good bet

Hittin the Woolshed now, figure its safer/has more alcohol/better craic than Rome.

Talk to you's all tomorrow, in the hazy glow of a fourth European Cup Success.

You En Eye- Tea Ee Dee

Ya baxtard being able to start drinking already. Another 2 hours in work for me (should be 2.5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    Davaeo09 = my favourite new poster. Agree with everything he has to say so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Headshot wrote: »
    the manchester utd fan is out of hospital now

so he's ok

in this day of age to have so called fans like the ultra's its a digrace,Roma should be banned from european competitions (couple of seasons)and play league games in a closed stadium 10 games will do

that'll ****ing teach them

Why? The police don't know who commited the assault, but you can say Roma fans should be banned on foot of it?

You're right, of course. If this was something at the stadium involving fans then, yes, the club should be punished. But it's not.

• Advertisement

I have

I'm crap at betting though. I did manage to resist putting a punt on Anderson though as John O'Shea is longer odds but probably more likely to score. :)
    nice bet on vidic,what are he's odds for anytime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus I step out for a couple of hours and the thread goes Antonio Banderas! :eek:

Scholes
    Carrick
    Anderson

Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berbatov

That's the chatter coming out of Rome.

nice bet on vidic,what are he's odds for anytime?

8/1

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus I step out for a couple of hours and the thread goes Antonio Banderas! :eek:

Scholes
    Carrick
    Anderson

Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berbatov

That's the chatter coming out of Rome.

id be happy with that,berba is one best around for holding up the ball just hope he doesnt come too deep tonight

8/1

if i only had any money :(

if i only had any money :(

lost it all on the youth cup final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really looking forward to this. Don't know whether to hit the pub what with the LC next week, but might be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

id be happy with that,berba is one best around for holding up the ball just hope he doesnt come too deep tonight

I definitely wouldn't bet against Park starting

Liam O wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Don't know whether to hit the pub what with the LC next week, but might be tempted.

Dude seriously pub. I went drinking the Saturday before the leaving cert and the Saturday during it. I turned out fine. :)

I'd say each player will be under very strict orders tonight. But maybe Berbatov's orders will be to come deep :pac:

Surprised to see Scholes start ahead of Giggs if that's true. I read somewhere Ferguson saying Scholes would probably be involved at some stage tonight.

I definitely wouldn't bet against Park starting

Would be harsh on park to be left out two years in a row. He defo can't miss the bench this year.

• Advertisement

lost it all on the youth cup final?

just a small bit,still havent found a job yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    I've been thinking about this. It's true Barca have been good when closing down this season but how good at it are they? I mean I wouldn't think they're as a good as say Everton.

You think Everton are on a par with barcelona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

eZe^ wrote: »
    Davaeo09 = my favourite new poster. Agree with everything he has to say so far..

Hehe popping my own cherry!

Cheer's buddy, glad to be on these forums at last :D

Any way, I can see this being a high scoring affair to be honest.

just a small bit,still havent found a job yet :(

you know boards ain't a job site right :)

But Ronaldo has the pace to unlock the offside trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

gimmick wrote: »

He means in terms of pressing and getting in players faces quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have

I have

€5 2-0 Barca & Iniesta to score first @ 149/1
    €5 2-0 Barca @ 16.5/1
    €5 Barca to win & Eto'o to score @ 11/2
    €5 Barca to win & Iniesta to score @ 10/1
    €5 Barca to win & 9 or less corners & card index 45 or more @ 10/1

So, I want Barca to win :D I have to be honest and say I expect to lose all my bets!

you know boards ain't a job site right :)
    :)

so that explains it

jasonorr wrote: »
    I have

€5 2-0 Barca & Iniesta to score first @ 149/1
    €5 2-0 Barca @ 16.5/1
    €5 Barca to win & Eto'o to score @ 11/2
    €5 Barca to win & Iniesta to score @ 10/1
    €5 Barca to win & 9 or less corners & card index 45 or more @ 10/1

So, I want Barca to win :D I have to be honest and say I expect to lose all my bets!

Pity with the money you spent you could have got a Barca T-Shirt. ;)

:D
    ahh man here it goes again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i have the last of my college finals on friday, and its the hardest exam ever but im headin out tonight!! :D

and i was out for my mates birthday abotu 3 days before my LC started and i made it to college etc!

youll be grand!

Sure what are you worried about, there is no jobs anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I walked into the bookies a few hours ago in Perth, managed to get a few bets on...

actually saw United to win at 2.65 (decimal odds), think they made a bit of a balls of the odds, tried to lump $250 on but they wouldn't take the bet :( "System was acting up" apparantly... was gonna try and challenge it a little bit but not sure what the Aussie law is on bookies having to take a bet on odds shown?

Ended up putting
    $20 on Rooney to score first @ 8.5 - Win pays $170
    $20 on United to keep a clean sheet @ 2.95 - Win pays $59
    $50 on United to win 2-0 @ 12.00 - win pays $600

So hopefully Rooney scores first and United win 2-0!! Would be happy with any United win though :D

gimmick wrote: »

I'm talking about closing down the opposition and chasing the ball.
    Everton seem build their whole game around that. I'm wondering how good would the likes of Messi and Iniesta etc be if they had to chase the ball for a good portion of the game. Attitude wise and in terms of organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    I'm talking about closing down the opposition and chasing the ball.
    Everton seem build their whole game around that. I'm wondering how good would the likes of Messi and Iniesta etc be if they had to chase the ball for a good portion of the game. Attitude wise and in terms of organisation.

Attitude isn't the problem though. The thing is, Guardiola said it himself, his tactics mean that the players eventually end up doing LESS running. It may seem that Messi/ Eto'o/ Henry are constantly harrying the opposition when not in defense, but overall it means that they don't have to run as much.

Basically, what was happening last year was Barca were lackadaisical when not in possession, meaning they let opposition teams move up to their penalty area before they'd try and win the ball back. That means that the attackers have to run 80 yards before they can create an opportunity.

This year, they are hassling as soon as they lose the ball meaning that when they win it back inside the opponents half they have much less of the pitch to run when on the counter. It's pretty smart really, and the work ethic has paid MASSIVE dividends on the pitch. (Just watch the Chelsea/ Madrid games this year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I can buy a jersey anytime, but it doesn't have the potential to win me any money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Bets for tonight:

17/10 United to win in 90 mins - €20
    €5 on Rooney to score first @ 15/2, €5 on Henry to score first @ 9/1
    €20 on Over 2.5 goals.
    €5 on a Barcelona sending off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

roryc wrote: »
    I walked into the bookies a few hours ago in Perth, managed to get a few bets on...

actually saw United to win at 2.65 (decimal odds), think they made a bit of a balls of the odds, tried to lump $250 on but they wouldn't take the bet :( "System was acting up" apparantly... was gonna try and challenge it a little bit but not sure what the Aussie law is on bookies having to take a bet on odds shown?

Ended up putting
    $20 on Rooney to score first @ 8.5 - Win pays $170
    $20 on United to keep a clean sheet @ 2.95 - Win pays $59
    $50 on United to win 2-0 @ 12.00 - win pays $600

So hopefully Rooney scores first and United win 2-0!! Would be happy with any United win though :D

That's about right. Its only 23/20.
    Got Vidic on betfair first scorer at 31/1. Only €2 cause I don't like gambling really.

Reports from Goal.com is that Barca are supposed to be lining up like this:

-Valdes –
    - Puyol, Pique, Toure, Keita –
    - Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta –
    - Messi, Eto’o, Henry –

It's really the expected team, just a throw up between Keita & Sylvinho

• Advertisement

s_carnage wrote: »
    Reports from Goal.com is that Barca are supposed to be lining up like this:

-Valdes –
    - Puyol, Pique, Toure, Keita –
    - Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta –
    - Messi, Eto’o, Henry –

It's really the expected team, just a throw up between Keita & Sylvinho

Goal.com is rubbish.

Hearing rumours myself that Henry won't be starting.

Advertisement