Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    It'll be really interesting to see how Fergie lines up defensively. There are two approaches to dealing with Barca.

One is pressure all over the pitch, constantly, in every position. Make them make mistakes. I'd guess it would be how Liverpool would line up against them, its what they did to United this year. United play this way against Arsenal.

Chelsea took another take, which is to sit back, and not waste your energy trying to pressure them at the back.
    The basic philosophy is that Barca are too good at possession to pressure you up front and not get massively tired, so we'll just accept that and move on.
    So instead you defend inside your own third. You make it extremely tight in the last 30 yards but let them do whatever they want in front of that. It's what Chelsea did, and imo it worked pretty well. It's also what United did last year against them.
    It's effectively sit deep when not in possession and hit them on the break, but once you're in possession, attack normally and commit people forward.

Normally I'd completely go with the second approach for United, not just because Ronaldo and Berbatov arne't great at the closing down (you'd need to play Tevez I'd say). But since Barca's defence won't be as talented on the ball as you'd expect due to injuries, there might be an argument to the first one.
    But since United have no DM, they can't really play the first one unless Carrick puts in a mammoth performance.

So I'd expect the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How good is Busquets (to any Barca fan), like a PL comparison?
    Keita is a CM right, a destructive one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Barcelona (United fan)
    Can I just say (and I apologise that it adds very little substance to the pre-match analysis):

G'wan
    Barca!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Barcelona (United fan)
    PHB wrote: »
    Keita is a CM right, a destructive one?

Basquets gets around but nowhere near as effective as Yaya who is Barca's main destroyer in midfield.

Basquets main problem is he is a little thing and as one who will try and play the detroyer role, his lack of physical size will be a issue. Nowhere near as athletic as Keita or Yaya.

Keita has more to his game than both and can get the odd assist and pop up with odd goal here and there. So I hope he starts in DM/CM behind Xaxi and Inestia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If Utd dont attack Barca's back line then they wont ba taking the cup home tonight, simple as. Missing their first choice FB's and arguably a 1st choice CB too in Marquez. A good a chance as any to take Barca on offensively and beat them.

If Utd are farting around and looking to replicate Chelsea's performances then I am afraid we wont be retaining the trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Sizzler wrote: »
    If Utd dont attack Barca's back line then they wont ba taking the cup home tonight, simple as..

erm....isnt that basic football 101? you dont try score goals = you wontt score goals = you wont win the game?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Manchester United (Neutral)
    PHB wrote: »

Purely my view. He is a ball winner. He may not be the strongest out there, but is fairly precise in his tackling. Very good passer of the ball as well. He is a bit lightweight though and prone to the odd histrionic.

I have read that he is a bit like Fabregas. I do not think so. Cannot think of a PL comparsion tbh.

I just wish to point out again that Marquez is precisely no loss tonight. His positional sense is poor and always seems to be part of the sentence "........all from a mistake from Marquez".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    I dont know what the European/Worldwide papers are saying but every Irish and British pundit are tipping Utd. to win and some quite easily.

I havnt seen one pundit tipping Barca. Bookies look like they will clean up tonight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

@ eZe
    Yeah that makes sense. It seems like a good tactic. But I think it's dependent on winning the ball back quickly. The longer you have to do it the harder it gets.

I would like United to put it to the test. ie make them chase for long periods. I'd like United to ask Barca to do it again and again whenever we get the ball. I don't mean that we should keep hold of the ball for 15 minutes like barca do but string a good few passes together. And hopefully as the game goes on Barca will be really tested.

I'm a firm believer in testing the opposition. Asking the question of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

SectionF wrote: »
    Can I just say (and I apologise that it adds very little substance to the pre-match analysis):

G'wan
    Barca!

Bar stool fans . Tch :rolleyes:
    :D:P:D:P:D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That's about right. Its only 23/20.
    Got Vidic on betfair first scorer at 31/1. Only €2 cause I don't like gambling really.

Ah right... Im not too used to decimal odds but if I put say $100 on United at 2.65 I'd be getting $265 back right? And on Paddy's its 17/10 so $100 would give you back $270...

Thought they had made a balls of it for a second, kinda glad they didn't take the bet now :D

Still decent odds though, bookies are backing a draw by the sounds of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

erm....isnt that basic football 101? you dont try score goals = you wontt score goals = you wont win the game?! :confused:
    WTF is football 101?

I meant in the context of trying to "contain" Barca and hoping for a 1 nil, a lá Chelsea, thought that was clear but maybe the "football 101" has stymied your thought process somewhat ;)

I am officially nervous and jittery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Yeah people whats your crazy bets for tonight.

I have

5 on 3-1 to United at 20-1.
    5 on John O'Shea to score first at 40/1
    10 on Vidic to score first at 25/1.

I'm crap at betting though. I did manage to resist putting a punt on Anderson though as John O'Shea is longer odds but probably more likely to score. :)
    I have 5 on United to win 2-1 and another 5 on Park to score anytime. Might put another on Vidic now

This game will be similar to a lot of times Barca have played English opposition - very tight. Those anticipating a bagfull of could be disappointed. Barca will have 65% possession but very few clear-cut chances as is the strength of the Utd. rear-guard.

Utd. will play on the counter and be most dangerous from set-pieces and obviously counter-attacks and will probably have the games best chances. Barca will need to take whatever few chances they get. Eto'o will need to pick up his form, not only in front of goal but also with his distribution. His touch has been poor recently and has been Barca'a chief culprit in giving the ball away.

But this is a very special and spirited Barcelona side who never gives up. Of course likewise Utd. which is what makes this the most anticpated CL final I can remember since Barca/Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

206 minutes to go.

seriously...

can't f***ing wait for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo: "It's normal that people speak about me but I am 100% focused on this game. I will try to help my team 100%, score a goal and win the game. That's it."

Ah, c'mon, Ronnie, a bit of ambition, please! Score two or three and win the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

2-1 utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

I think it is pathetic - that is the issue. If it were not an issue, I would think nothing at all of it, so I would not think it pathetic. The fact I do think it is pathetic, clearly indicates I take issue with it. Why are you taking issue with that?

sure i have no prob with some1 buyin a jersey to wear for the match,why should i?tis their money,doin it 4 a bit of craic, not affecting me or any1 else.they can wipe their arse with their money for all any1 else cares.im going to watch the game with the lads,dont support either team,but if i had the barca jersey(its class imo) id wear it 4 the craic,get the lads riled up b4 the match begins lol

• Advertisement

I wouldnt mind seeing the Barca back 5 being like this:

Keita

Sylvinho Pique Toure Puyol

I think it might be a little too early for Busquets to play as the defensive midfielder. He can be a bit rash and just too much of a risk in such a heated match. Keita can do the job just as well and also has a good shot on him. Sylvinho is totally under-rated and I give him the nod in front of Caceres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

3 hours 15 minutes until kick off

3 hours 15 minutes until kick off

Are we there yet?

1-0 united

ronaldo header.

Seriously, I can't sit still now. Someone help. I want it to be on now. And I really want United to win.

What time are we expecting the team sheets? The usual time, or are they out a bit earlier for the final?

*continues trembling*

I'm gone barstoolin'. If Man Utd win, I shall not be looking at this thread tomorrow. So it could be goodbye to this monster thread forever.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Warper wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind seeing the Barca back 5 being like this:

Keita

Sylvinho Pique Toure Puyol

I think it might be a little too early for Busquets to play as the defensive midfielder. He can be a bit rash and just too much of a risk in such a heated match. Keita can do the job just as well and also has a good shot on him. Sylvinho is totally under-rated and I give him the nod in front of Caceres.
    As a United fan, I definately wouldn't mind seeing Keita in goals either!!:P

Bit of a project to finish then home to watch the match. Can. Not. Wait!

United 2-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm going into town now, hopefully this thread will be good reading later.

United fans group hug

grouphug.gif

C'MON UNITED!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Tom65 wrote: »
    Seriously, I can't sit still now. Someone help. I want it to be on now. And I really want United to win.

What time are we expecting the team sheets? The usual time, or are they out a bit earlier for the final?

*continues trembling*

Give Pam and her mates a vist...calm the nerves;)

• Advertisement

Ronaldo out with a foot injury

Warper wrote: »
    Ronaldo out with a foot injury
    Fcuk sake, my heart was in my mouth there for all of a second I'd say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

right folks im off out to join in the festivities of the occassion (aka im goin to get drunk and watch some high quality football) will be talking to you all later im sure!! all the best and c'mon the red devils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Come on Barca!!! :D

Right I'm outta here. Here's to a fantastic game. May the best team win... (on the condition that United happen to be the best on the night :p ).

C'MON UNITED!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Right I'm off as well. Enjoyed the build up on here. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the aftermath as well (ie United win).

I'll leave with this.

believe.jpg

• Advertisement

Gettin serious butterflies now... Less than 2 and a half hours:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

**** this, why can't it fast forward an hour or so. Want to be in the pub trying to relax myself with a pint well before kick-off.

Goal for Anderson tonight anyone? Would be a nice way to get his first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

C'MON UNITED

This photo defo shud be posted more than once Al:

believe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hmmm...who do i support tonight? Unicef V AIG...tough choice. C'mon the Catalans!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Barcelona (United fan)
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Bar stool fans . Tch :rolleyes:
    :D:P:D:P:D:P

It's the Champions' League Final and Barca are in it. And, if there is a God, ManU are going to be beaten in a game on television for once. Tonight, every right-thinking person on the planet is from Barcelona.

Bar(ca)stooling officially sanctioned by UN! :pac:

• Advertisement

right, off to the pub so. it's been a treat on here the last couple of days.

may it be a great game.

titi, andrés, xavi, lionel...pleeeeeease :o

fc-barcelona-vs-numancia-1241.jpg

Goal for Anderson tonight anyone?
    Well if he does score, then we'll definately know it's our night:pac:

'Course if it goes to penalties he'll probably slot one with all the ease of a seasoned goalscorer...

Everyone stop leaving! I'm not going for another 25 minutes or so! I need pre-match banter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I'm still here :D

I'm fookn hoping that Toure starts in Mid-field... he's a beast of a ball winner in the centre of the park.

:pac:

Here's to a good game!
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

25mins..... better get a pub seat. My mate is over there at the moment the lucky bastard, arrived via Madrid this mornng.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus I step out for a couple of hours and the thread goes Antonio Banderas! :eek:

Scholes
    Carrick
    Anderson

Ronaldo
    Rooney

Berbatov

That's the chatter coming out of Rome.

You better be joking......I have 10 notes on Park to be first scorer at 20/1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just watching Sky News and they are interviewing 2 irish lads who couldn't get into the game. They said they got their tickets from the half time announcer who they know personally. Now thats a cool connection to have. Poor feckers might not get in though.

Prediction for tonight 3-1 to Barca and Vidic sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Winner of the 5.15 in Lingfield, Last Three Minutes (5/2) owned by Fergusons syndicate and named after that night 10 years ago, must be a sign ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Barcelona (United fan)
    I'm looking forward to Barca completing the treble tonight;). Enjoy the game everyone and remember: més que un club (but may the best club win)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

1-1. Ronaldo to miss a penalty again, but John Terry won't save him this time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement