Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    I think the tie may depend a lot on Evra's performance. He was great last season at taking Messi out but he has been dodgy ever since the Liverpool game and a lot will ride on him being able to counter the Messi threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    I reckon United will play the same team that they put out against Arsenal. Giggs coming in for Fletcher if the suspension is confirmed.
    It's far from a straight swap though and I think it will be the difference. Ferguson played Anderson, Fletcher and Park in midfield against Arsenal because he knows you can't give Arsenal space to play and they'll hassle them. I can't see Giggs playing anything like Fletcher and Barca are a different story to Arsenal or any team. I think if Hargreaves and Fletcher were available they'd both be playing in beside Carrick. Anderson is one replacement. There really isn't another.

Park and Anderson is nowhere near enough to stop Xavi and Iniesta playing. Not to mention Messi. I'd put money on Tevez playing but I still can't see them stopping Barca. And no team right now is good enough to beat Barca in a game of pure football. It would be a different story in Old Trafford where physchology would take over but on neutral ground there's no doubt Man Utd will sit back (or forced to) and without Fletcher they'll struggle.

It also says a lot about the players available to Utd that I'm even considering Park as a combative type.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lot of people talking like they expect Messi to deliver, if last night is anything to go by, then that might not be the best thing to talk up, as he was utterly **** last night, and has been almost every time he has played English opposition. Granted, ruling him off is stupid, and thats not what im doing, but if you hadnt seen either semi and came for a look in here, you wouldnt know Ronaldo scored 2 amazing goals and got man of the match in his semi, and Messi was a ghost in his.
    A ghost my arse. The big difference between Messi and Ronaldo is Messi contributes so much more other than goals. I think if Ronaldo hasn't been involved in a goal he won't have had had a great contribution. Messi could be motm without contributing to a goal because he contributes so much with his passing and overall play. Messi is just always involved in the goals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Like an arial threat? Danger from a free kick anywhere in the opponents half? The ability to score from 35+ yards?

No they are what Ronaldo offers that Messi doesnt.

And i still havent been told what was good about last nights messy performance, which is in fact what i am talking about. Im not talking about in general, i said he was ****, i was told he wasnt, i asked why, i was told he wasnt again and that he can be great, i already knew that. Although "Ghost me arse" was a valid point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Barcelona (Neutral)
    And no United fan thinks Barca will win.

Now there's confidence.

That's changed now - I'm the first :eek::eek::eek:

I think it will be tight though and could come down to penalties tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It's far from a straight swap though and I think it will be the difference. Ferguson played Anderson, Fletcher and Park in midfield against Arsenal because he knows you can't give Arsenal space to play and they'll hassle them. I can't see Giggs playing anything like Fletcher and Barca are a different story to Arsenal or any team. I think if Hargreaves and Fletcher were available they'd both be playing in beside Carrick. Anderson is one replacement. There really isn't another.

Park and Anderson is nowhere near enough to stop Xavi and Iniesta playing. Not to mention Messi. I'd put money on Tevez playing but I still can't see them stopping Barca. And no team right now is good enough to beat Barca in a game of pure football. It would be a different story in Old Trafford where physchology would take over but on neutral ground there's no doubt Man Utd will sit back (or forced to) and without Fletcher they'll struggle.

Have to agree with that. Fletcher is a major loss IMO and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to put someone more defensive in the midfield than Scholesy or Giggs in order to cut Barca's space. Barca will destroy United if Xavi, Iniesta and Yaya Toure are allowed to pick passes. The only way you can beat them is if you do what Chelsea did last night and force Barca out wide and stop them playing intricate passes to Messi, Etoo and Henry. How we could do with Hargreaves being on the pitch?

On the plus side I think Rooney and Ronaldo (in particular Rooney) will get a lot of joy against their defence. I'd imagine it'll be the same attack against them in the final and I can see Rooney being the winning of the game. His form in the second half of the season has been brilliant IMO and everything he is doing is going right for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Anderson is the strongest part of the midfield battle. He is probably United's best tackler and has the ability to shut out a deep lying creative midfield, ala Xavi.
    He will most likely play that role as a behind the striker style midfield, who'll get back when we dont have possession.

The real person that is now a huge threat due to the lack of Fletcher is Iniesta. Fletcher would be the one to deal with him and there's noone there to do that now. Giggs can do okish, but nowhere near good enough.

Anderson could probably do it, but pushing him back to one of the two deep lying central midfielders [as Carrick, Fletcher or Scholes normally are] means that Xavi will have the space. You could counter that by putting Rooney or someone in there, but he isn't good enough at that job to do it, and to be honest, I'd much much much rather him on the wings.

Personally I think both defenses have weakness in them that will result in both teams getting a goal. I honestly think with Fletcher we could have kept a clean sheet, but without him, we're likely to concede. Then of course there is the immense ability that Barca have on the wings.

I just can't see either Ronaldo not scoring when he's being marked by Slvinho, Rooney when he's being marked by Caceras [or Puyol if Toure is pushed back], or Berbatov not getting the better of Pique or Puyol/Toure in the air.

I really think both sides are likely to score. I'm also extremely hopeful that Fletcher can get his chance and UEFA overturn the wrong decision. Since Abidal had admitted guilt, I'd say they are unlikely to even try to appeal it now.

Like an arial threat? Danger from a free kick anywhere in the opponents half? The ability to score from 35+ yards?
    I said "contributes so much more other than goals". He might as well be a striker. He'd still be in my world XI though because he's a class act. But Messi's a playmaker. He contributes heavily to Barca dominating possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hopefully this will be an entertaining game.I predict Barca to win in 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eirebhoy wrote: »

It also says a lot about the players available to Utd that I'm even considering Park as a combative type.
    I'm pretty sure we were all saying the same last year when Utd faced Barca in teh Semi Finals. Park played both games then and Barca didn't score in either.

In the second game Utd kept Barca scoreless with a midfield of Nani, Scholes, Carrick and Park in Old Trafford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No they are what Ronaldo offers that Messi doesnt.

And i still havent been told what was good about last nights messy performance, which is in fact what i am talking about. Im not talking about in general, i said he was ****, i was told he wasnt, i asked why, i was told he wasnt again and that he can be great, i already knew that. Although "Ghost me arse" was a valid point...

To say someone was **** would mean they were barely involved and/or made mistakes when they were. Messi was heavily involved with some great runs and dribbles as well as being involved in Barcas passing game. He wasn't up to his usual standard, that much is true. His performance doesn't stand out oo much compared to previous performances but if you actually, really think it was a **** performance you must have some unbelievable standards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we were all saying the same last year when Utd faced Barca in teh Semi Finals. Park played both games then and Barca didn't score in either.

In the second game Utd kept Barca scoreless with a midfield of Nani, Scholes, Carrick and Park in Old Trafford.

Very different Barcelona though. Completely different composure and mental toughness or whatever they call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I can't see past united for this one. I was very surprised at the lack of penetration Barca showed last night, it was very lateral. Does anyone know off the top of their head how Stamford Bridge compares to the Stadio Olympico in terms of width??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dfx- wrote: »
    Very different Barcelona though. Completely different composure and mental toughness or whatever they call it.
    Not that different considering they took 180 odd minutes to score against Chelsea.

Chelsea 1 Barca 1
    Barca 0 Chelsea 0
    Man Utd 1 Barca 0
    Barca 0 Man Utd 0
    Liverpool 0 Barcelona 1
    Barcelona 1 Liverpool 2

So in the last 6 games against English teams they've scored a grand total of three goals. Not sure why, but they do seem to struggle against the English teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

yerayeah wrote: »
    I can't see past united for this one. I was very surprised at the lack of penetration Barca showed last night, it was very lateral. Does anyone know off the top of their head how Stamford Bridge compares to the Stadio Olympico in terms of width??

Stadio Olimpico is identical dimesions to Old trafford and the Camp Nou

105m x 68m

Fair point. I won't even try to argue that Barca are on a different level now because I can't even remember last seasons games. :)

• Advertisement

I think Uefa need to start using their head and start picking proper football stadiums for finals as last years one in Moscow and this seasons one in Rome are Athletic stadiums with running tracks and keep the spectators between 10 - 20 metres away depending on were your seats are from the pitch which is just ridiculous.

redout wrote: »
    Stadio Olimpico is identical dimesions to Old trafford and the Camp Nou

105m x 68m
    I wouldn't have thought that the pitch at the Camp Nou is the same size as Old Trafford?! Thanks anyway, I was just wondering considering the trouble Barca had creating anything last night on a narrow pitch. I'll be gutted if United lose this one, it's there for the taking with the standard of back 4 Barca will have to play against Rooney/Ron/Tevez/Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yerayeah wrote: »
    Thanks anyway, I was just wondering considering the trouble Barca had creating anything last night on a narrow pitch.

I think the Bridge's pitch is a couple of feet wider than Camp Nou, could be wrong though.

Camera angles can deceive in some stadiums.

Edit: tis a metre less wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Boggles wrote: »
    I think the Bridge's pitch is a couple of feet wider than Camp Nou, could be wrong though.

Someone said that the bridge is a yard wider, but considerably shorter than the Nou Camp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

JPA wrote: »
    To say someone was **** would mean they were barely involved and/or made mistakes when they were. Messi was heavily involved with some great runs and dribbles as well as being involved in Barcas passing game. He wasn't up to his usual standard, that much is true. His performance doesn't stand out oo much compared to previous performances but if you actually, really think it was a **** performance you must have some unbelievable standards.

The standard that was set by Cristiano Ronaldo in the Emirates.

• Advertisement

Someone said that the bridge is a yard wider, but considerably shorter than the Nou Camp

According to Wikipedia Nou Camp is 2 meters longer and a meter wider.

As you know, take that with a pinch of salt.

Not that different considering they took 180 odd minutes to score against Chelsea.

Chelsea 1 Barca 1
    Barca 0 Chelsea 0
    Man Utd 1 Barca 0
    Barca 0 Man Utd 0
    Liverpool 0 Barcelona 1
    Barcelona 1 Liverpool 2

So in the last 6 games against English teams they've scored a grand total of three goals. Not sure why, but they do seem to struggle against the English teams.

Yeah, Barcalona are alot like Ricky Hatton, fantasic as long as no one hits him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Barcelona (United fan)
    PHB wrote: »
    Since Abidal had admitted guilt, I'd say they are unlikely to even try to appeal it now.

When was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Chelsea 1 Barca 1
    Barca 0 Chelsea 0
    Man Utd 1 Barca 0
    Barca 0 Man Utd 0
    Liverpool 0 Barcelona 1
    Barcelona 1 Liverpool 2

Maybe because they are not as good as some make them out to be. Can see Man U winning this, think they will keep it tight similar to Chelsea but when Utd break they will score and score and score. Result 0 - 3. It pains me to say that. Maybe Barca will get one goal but no more.
    Does Gabby Milito still play for Barca or is he injured or not getting a look in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Gabby Milito is out for the season with a cruciate injury I think.

The standard that was set by Cristiano Ronaldo in the Emirates.

Jeez, your on a campaign to make Cronaldo seem better than Messi.
    You said he was ****, I'm saying he wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lets not turn this into a "Ronaldo is better than Messi" thread or vice versa - we have all been there before.

This is the dream final though and is arguably the best final in many a year. There can be no question that these teams are the best Europe have to offer and both can play mouth-watering football. There are so many battles to be had - the best attack V the best defense etc etc. It is good for the competition and football that it is not an All-English final. It is more exciting having teams from different cultures playing each other, after all we see Man Utd V Chelsea a couple of times every year anyways.

There will be so much wrote about this final over the next 3 weeks, there will be less oxygen in the air. The bookies have this very close with Barca slight favourites. Barcelona will be short 3 key defenders - Alves, Marquez and Abidal which has to be a concern but at least Puyol will be back. Barcelona are looking to break all records this year - goals scored, points tally, winning La Liga, Champions League and the Copa Del Rey. Anyways .........

Edit: tis a metre less wide.
    Was just thinking bout it there and I think I got the notion that the Camp Nou's pitch was way bigger from playing pro ev!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

monkey9 wrote: »
    I await the Lionel Messi one
    Ronaldo completely out-shone Messi over the semi finals tbf but I agree Messi is an incredible player. However, Ronaldo always gets a gola or two and he was immense on tuesday. I hope he's played furthest forward against Barca. He'll leave Pique with nightmares for years after.
    And no United fan thinks Barca will win.

Now there's confidence.
    Why on earth would a United fan think Barca can possibly win?

Chelsea 1 Barca 1
    Barca 0 Chelsea 0
    Man Utd 1 Barca 0
    Barca 0 Man Utd 0
    Liverpool 0 Barcelona 1
    Barcelona 1 Liverpool 2

Because English teams can defend? Because English teams play at a faster tempo than the majority of teams in La Liga? Because Barca are no threat from set pieces (didn't look close to scoring from a corner or free-kick all night) and when their passing game doesn't work they have no back-up plan? Just a few thoughts.

I'm not sure if Fergie will go on the offensive straight away and blow Barca away like United can at their best or if he's prepared to soak up the pressure. Iniesta is Barca's key man anyway. He was the star player consistently over the two legs and must be watched tackled.

• Advertisement

English also struggle against Barca - they have only conceded 4 in 6 matches. Spanish football is better technically as Barca showed against Chelsea - even with 10 men they passed the ball better and had 63% possession away from home. To suggest they cant defend is laughable and shows a lack of knowledge. Watchin too much EPL mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

giggs to regrow his chest hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Really gutted that Alves will miss the final.

He was dreadful last night but has about 20 assists this season and would combat Man Utd's pace as well as provide lots of ammunition.

That said, Eto'o, Messi and Henry have near 100 goals between them so even though Man Utd will probably score, Barca will surely score too.

If Barca can manage an early goal and force Man Utd to come at them, it could be quite a few.

They really need to keep Pique and Puyol out of harms way until May 27 though.

I like Guardiola's quote; ''Man Utd are a great team, but we are Barcelona.''

Warper wrote: »
    English also struggle against Barca - they have only conceded 4 in 6 matches. Spanish football is better technically as Barca showed against Chelsea - even with 10 men they passed the ball better and had 63% possession away from home. To suggest they cant defend is laughable and shows a lack of knowledge. Watchin too much EPL mate

To say Spanish football is better technically than English football is kind of a false positive. For the most part its correct but United and Arsenal for example have better technical ability than every Spanish side bar Barca in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

United would be my favourites. Barca actually looked similar to Arsenal last night, all flair but struggle with penetration when up against real compact opposition.

I actually think the game would play similar to the semi with Chelsea, all barca possession, but i fancy Rio and Vidic to keep them far enough from the goal line to pose a real threat there. The only difference i think will be United are better suited to take what few chances will come their way.

redout wrote: »
    To say Spanish football is better technically than English football is kind of a false positive. For the most part its correct but United and Arsenal for example have better technical ability than every Spanish side bar Barca in my opinion.

I agree about Utd and Arsenal - they are technically very good but the Leagues as a whole I fell La Liga is better technically. I'm talking about your mid-lower teams eg Getafe, Deportivo etc are better than Sunderland, Portsmouth etc. when it comes to possession and passing. Listen both Leagues have their pros and cons but the EPL's top 4 are better than the top 4 everywhere else and that inlcudes even all Europe combined.

Will Henry be back or does anyone know? Seems to be more than a minor issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

JPA wrote: »
    Will Henry be back or does anyone know? Seems to be more than a minor issue.

No reason why he shouldn't be, unless he gets injured between now and then. His current injury isn't too serious and although he might miss out on this weekend's games, he'll most likely be back for the next set of La Liga fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

kinaldo wrote: »
    Really gutted that Alves will miss the final.

He was dreadful last night but has about 20 assists this season and would combat Man Utd's pace as well as provide lots of ammunition.

He has 11 overall, 2 in the champs league. I really can't stand when people pull these figures out of their arse. Puts a different gloss on it altogether.

Still though, not bad at all for a full back, but nothing I'd have been too worried about, shur our own John O'Shea has had 5 assists in less games. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cant help but laugh at the "neutral" number going for Barca.

I'd fancy any of the 4 CL English clubs this season to do a number on Barca in a CL final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

UEFA will discuss darren fletchers situation on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

on what grounds would Fletcher be allowed play? are they going to look at reversing the red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I haven't voted yet, because I really don't know how it will go.

barcelona's attack is superb, better than United's imo. However, I would say United are better equipped to handle the Barcelona threat than Barcelona are to handle United's, especially considering they will be without Alves, Abidal, Marquez and Milito.

On paper, it is just to close to call, but there is the capacity in both sides to completely destroy the other imo. I really have no idea how it will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,460 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

on what grounds would Fletcher be allowed play? are they going to look at reversing the red?

Yes, United have appealed, and it will be discussed on Monday. I doubt it will get rescinded, but I think United have done right by Fletcher in at least appealing it when given some cause to think uefa may consider it.

Compassionate grounds is the way they are going with it, they are not going to argue the red or say the Referee got it wrong.

More politics than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Compassionate grounds is the way they are going with it, they are not going to argue the red or say the Referee got it wrong.

More politics than anything.

Hmmmm, as much as I'd like Fletch to be cleared to play I can't understand how he could be allowed just on compassionate grounds, makes a bit of a mockery of the whole disciplinary procedure doesn't it? Would open up a can of worms aswell.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hmmmm, as much as I'd like Fletch to be cleared to play I can't understand how he could be allowed just on compassionate grounds, makes a bit of a mockery of the whole disciplinary procedure doesn't it? Would open up a can of worms aswell.

Uefa wont overturn it. If they did then Barca will be pushing for Abidals to be overturned and he has a strong case aswell. I for one cannot see Uefa overturning two of their referees decisions from the two biggest games of the season. Look how incompetent it would make the organisation look.

Trilla wrote: »
    Cant help but laugh at the "neutral" number going for Barca.

I'd fancy any of the 4 CL English clubs this season to do a number on Barca in a CL final.

Whats so funny about that? Why do you think every English bookmaker has Barcelona as favourites and they have been favourites for the entire year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Whats so funny about that? Why do you think every English bookmaker has Barcelona as favourites and they have been favourites for the entire year.

Just. odds like 10/11, 39/50, 9/10 and 5/6 etc. I'm actually a bit shocked they are favourites tbh. I didnt believe you until I checked. Most of them go for Barca.

If Barca are without their two fullbacks, I think Puyol will play RB. Milito is out for the season, can see United doing a job on them. Anyhow early days yet, alot can happen between now and then.

All I can say as a Manchester United fan is that I'm happier to be playing Barcelona then Chelsea. Better spectical and imo easier chance of winning the CL back to back.

Boylesports have both teams at 8/5 and a draw at 11/5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement