Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Best team in the world simply gave manc a lesson on how to play the game and thats without 3 first choice defenders.
    Players like carrick and anderson are nowhere near the class of iniesta and xavi.
    Delighted for Guardiola and Barca.
    Final word LMAO at Giggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Congrats to Barca for tonight world class and Messi just brill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

True the ref has to be commended for a clean game, pity there were not more refs like them.

Just on that note... Why is nobody talking about Pique being sent off when he brought Ronaldo down when he was clean through on goal in the first half. As I said above I have no complaints whatsoever but surely that was a straight red card as Pique was the last man back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I blame the jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    woooo232 wrote: »
    Just on that note... Why is nobody talking about Pique being sent off when he brought Ronaldo down when he was clean through on goal in the first half. As I said above I have no complaints whatsoever but surely that was a straight red card as Pique was the last man back?
    Because it was not a sending off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Yeeeesssss!!! Andres Iniesta UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
    Look at VDS's face. BRILLIANT!!

_45833382_messigoal_getty466.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    I'm sure that Tom Henning Ovrebo feels vidicated now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

thats the end of giggs, scholes, a few subs appearances every now and again next season

Tevez and Ronaldo are out the door

Anderson and Nani were such a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It was tight but Toure was pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

yellow only. next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Utd basically need a new midfield.

No, they just need to play more than 2/3 players in there when up against Barca, Fletcher was a huge loss too.

There's no reason United couldn't have won if the didn't play such a rediculous formation, going from 433 to effectively 424 was suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    Gutted. No doubt who the better team were on the night and deserved winners, but let's not get carried away with the criticism of United; successive finals is some achievement and from a United perspective it has been a fantastic run of no defeats in 2 years which had to come to an end eventually.

On the night, predictably Fletcher was a huge loss. A lot of people thought the key would be United's defence against a Barca defence minus their two first-choice full backs, but it was a really poor defensive display. It was no contest in midfield either really, Anderson was shocking, Carrick strayed pass after pass. Giggs came in for Fletcher but was never going to have the same effect. Overall, not enough players turned up.

Well done Barca. It would be easier to take if it had been more of a contest, but in truth it only was one for 9 minutes. Still been a hell of a season for United, and after digesting tonight I don't think any fan will be less than appreciative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Because it was not a sending off?

To right, covering defender coming through the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

5starpool wrote: »
    Or just Essien. I really can't sum up how much I think of Essien as a player (apart from that tackle a few years back of course).

+1

• Advertisement

Well done Barca, a joy to watch.

Hard luck united. I know what it's like after Athens 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Liking this one as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

_45833343_evds_afp466.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

People need to look at that one again. I think it was a 50-50. Ronaldo ran into him as much as Pique blocked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

jenno86 wrote: »
    Yeeeesssss!!! Andres Iniesta UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
    Look at VDS's face. BRILLIANT!!

_45833382_messigoal_getty466.jpg

mcauley.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The fact that he wasnt sent off for that is what I'm talking about, Ronaldo wasnt clear on goal, he ran straight into him, had he tried to avoid him and actually play football well then maybe he could have scored, however he went for the free kick and got it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Van Dar Sar does make the funniest faces of any player playing the game today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Well done Barca, won playing good football. Great game to watch and all the sweeter that they b1tch slapped Man U into submission. The scowl on fergie and Ronnies faces was beautiful at the end.
    roryc wrote: »
    Please less of the bullsh*t... United still won THREE more tropheys than pool this year

Meh they could have won 33 more trophies, makes no odds. They don't have the one trophy they really wanted or the one that really counts these days.

Whatever about the prem title, seriously the world club cup and carling cup! Smacks of desperation and putting a spin on this loss to me.

You can't seriously expect ABU people to not gloat or rub United noses in it. A few months ago we were all being treated to talk of 5 cups and ye certainly made the most of winning the Prem from Liverpool and matching their 18 title record.

Suck it up and deal with it, it's all part of being a footie fan. Take the good with the bad in good grace and wait patiently for the tables to turn and get your revenge next season;)

The fact that he wasnt sent off for that is what I'm talking about, Ronaldo wasnt clear on goal, he ran straight into him, had he tried to avoid him and actually play football well then maybe he could have scored, however he went for the free kick and got it..

fair enough... I'll look at it again. but if the ref gives a foul surely he has to send the player off. I mean Ronaldo was straight through on goal and Pique was teh last player back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Giles on about "tactics are irrellevant" again..... some manager he must have been

fair enough... I'll look at it again. but if the ref gives a foul surely he has to send the player off. I mean Ronaldo was straight through on goal and Pique was teh last player back.

no, just no, what game were you watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

SAF got his tatics completey wrong tonight in starting Giggs in the Middle instead of Scholes. Scholes should have started in the Middle and Ronaldo should have stared on the left and not upfront. I've said for a few seasons now Carrick was way of his debt tonight and SAF signing Berbatov in the January for £30,000,000 was a waste, we won the Premier League and Champions with both Tevez and Rooney up front last year. Its so obvious that Manutd need at least two world class Midfielders.

Lets be honest we won the League simply beause we have the best defence and in Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez we have match winners simple as.

The best team won tonight and out classed Manutd Midfield with ease and never gave the ball away. SAF said in his match press conference yesterday that we couldnt afford to give the ball away and keeping the ball was as important, well he f**ked that one up with Giggs.

no, just no, what game were you watching?

Your saying it wasn't a foul or Pique wasn't the last man back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lets just congratulate Barca who undoubtably are the best team in the world and Bravo Messi who is the best player in the world.

Skill > defensive

1 trick pony Barca - LOL

YES Barca totally outplayed Utd and won hands down - back to the Premiership for Utd. Great team - I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did Carrick have serious money troubles?

Your saying it wasn't a foul or Pique wasn't the last man back?

I'm saying it was definately a foul & a yellow, but not a sending off. Wasn't the last man back and wasn't through on goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Barcelona were the better team on the night, totally deserved to win. The only thing that saddens me is that no one recognised the real best player in the world tonight.

Would Barcelona have won without Messi? Yes.

Would Barcelona have won without Xavi? Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

before this thread is gets trollish

im really devasted,really really am,utd were brutal and saf decisions were a disgrace but I cant take anything away from barca

utter class

All the knee-jerk reactions in this thread make me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Maybe I am ignorant....I understand the Liverpool fans pleasure on seeing United not winning a trophy.....but it's been donkeys years since any fans have gotten to enjoy Liverpool not winning a trophy......A pissy European Cup on penalties counts for nothing, which I imagine United fans would agree with....So the Pool are really drinking off Hansen and Lawros stories of old. They have been nothing more than first loser for 20 odd years. Time to wake up I reckon.....although I know it'll fall on deaf ears as Pool fans are generally deaf...and a bit thick.

I'll try not to derail this, but Liverpool have won every trophy this decade bar the league.

And yes, Liverpool fans are delighted that Utd didn't win. Seriously, so what?? That's the pettiness of football. It's about rivalry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Ferguson took unneccessary risks regarding the set up of the team....but more than that fans should be let down by the performances of some of the players.
    However, i don't think its any reflection on the united's sqaud. Was only a bad day at the office.

United's poor performance did take away from the occasion a bit-but not from Barcelona's victory.....they are worthy champions.

As much as I'm gutted about our loss, i'm delighted that a great team achieved exactly what they deserve.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

tony1kenobi has been given a yellow card,lets leave it at that folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hard luck to United tonight, Barca were just brilliant and played some amazing football tonight.

And to those United supporters who were texting me thoses Liverpool jokes all week........

laughing_1.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Headshot wrote: »
    before this thread is gets trollish

im really devasted,really really am,utd were brutal and saf decisions were a disgrace but I cant take anything away from barca

utter class

without having a go at united Headshot here has said all that needs to be said, 1 bad game does not a bad team make.
    Barca deserving, end of really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I see no reason for Liverpool to be discussed in this thread.

Anyone going the Liverpool fans vs United fans route will take an extended break from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Poor selection
    Poor performance
    Brilliant Barcelona

Barcelona were the better team on the night, totally deserved to win. The only thing that saddens me is that no one recognised the real best player in the world tonight.

Bah, Iniesta's where its at, absolutely awesome, Xavi was good, but Iniesta showed control, vision & touches that I genuinely doubt any other player in the world could repeat, the term "Midfield Maestro" was never as fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Barca have the two best Midfield players in the world football in Xavi and Iniesta. If manutd had those two players alone then Manutd would have won. The fact is the likes of Carrick, Anderson and Giggs are not good enough.

Anyone wonder if SAF was right to start Ferdinand in tonights match? I dont think he was match fit to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Woah, very disappointing performance by United. I don't subscribe to the whole Barca hype and all United done tonight was make them look better than they actually are. If it was down to Barca stopping United playing then I would say fair enough but Barca had very little to with it. United's players and the tactics that AF employed is the root cause of tonight.

Firstly, United should have employed a 4-2-3-1 formation tonight with two stiffling midfielders keeping an eye on Xavi and Iniesta. Carrick and Anderson should have stuck to those two players like glue. Instead, due to Giggs playing closer to Ronaldo than Carrick and Anderson, the trio of Barca midfielders were just able to play around the United twosome. Even if Giggs was told to drop deeper and cover, I don't think he would have had the legs for it. Giggs simply shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Anderson is a decent young player and has plenty of running in him but he isn't anywhere near good enough to play in the role he was asked to tonight against such high class oppostion. You need more than running in matches like this. You need to be able to cut out runs and read the play before they happen.

Carrick is a decent player but he isn't good enough for United team.

The last time I witnessed this United team outplayed like they were tonight was againt Liverpool a few weeks ago. Liverpool, like Barca, are one of about three or four teams in the world with a better central midfield than United (Chelsea under Hiddink and Mourinho and possibly AC Milan are others too I think).

What seperates United from the rest of the PL is what they have across the rear, along the wings and up top. With world class players in every position but the centre of midfield, United are capable of and do beat 95% of the opposition out there. It is also why Hargreaves missing all season looked to be a non issue as it is only against opposition with top midfields that he is really missed.

Before ye all jump down my throat, look at the thread discussing which players from the United and Liverpool's squad would you pick for a dream team and see who ye all picked - Masch, Alonso and Gerard (Torres too) in virtually every team.

Even though I didn't want United to win tonight, I genuinely thought they could beat Barca. What happened tonight would never have happened against Chelsea or Liverpool - as was proven in the semi against Chelsea. The central midfield of United is a genuine weakness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fair enough we were found out tonight. Barcelona played us off the pitch after the first goal. I'm absolutely sickened. Fantastic venue and crowd and refereeing and teamsmanship and all that.
    But at the same time. You've all been there. You know how it feels. ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Giles on about "tactics are irrellevant" again..... some manager he must have been

actually, that's quite a fair view, i was thinking that myself mid way through the 2nd half.

Tactically Barcelona weren't in great shape. The defenders (particularly Toure) were constantly getting pulled out of position and there were big open spaces for United to exploit had they controlled the game a bit better, particularly between Puyol and Toure who just weren't comfortable in those positions.

On the other hand, At the start United were compact and disciplined, each player with much more defined roles than that of Barca. but to little avail. Barca's technical superiority on the ball meant United struggled for possession and their system broke down from the amount of closing down they needed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Poor selection
    Poor performance
    Brilliant Barcelona

That pretty much sums it up alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Worst Performance by Man U in a European game ever

looked like half them couldn't give a shoite.

Most one sided game I ever saw for a major final.

as walter smith would say, disappointing.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Warper wrote: »
    Great team - I think not

*Cough-3 titles and 2 CL finals in a row.*Cough

As disapointed as I am with the performance tonight-they achieved great things these past few seasons. Great team - they certainly are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I appreciate your comments - Xavi is a genius along with Iniesta and of course Messi but Xavi is 100% class everytime i see him play. These trio are what made Barca win everything this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eddiehead wrote: »
    Bah, Iniesta's where its at, absolutely awesome, Xavi was good, but Iniesta showed control, vision & touches that I genuinely doubt any other player in the world could repeat, the term "Midfield Maestro" was never as fitting.

I was going to post similar. Xavi was excellent as well, but Iniesta was just different class tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement