Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Look at Platini, he is over the moon.

I would have been happy to see United win just to see the look on the pricks face!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    trolling

poor form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think Ferguson was too focused on Barcelona's attacking prowess and seemed to forget about actually pressurising Barca's weakened defense.

Barca were brilliant tonight. They really were. But it was almost like they were allowed to be. There was almost an air of acceptance from Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Really this was men against boys

BTW the Spanish League is crap

BARCA = PURE FOOTBALL

Warper wrote: »
    Lets just congratulate Barca who undoubtably are the best team in the world and Bravo Messi who is the best player in the world.

Skill > defensive

1 trick pony Barca - LOL

YES Barca totally outplayed Utd and won hands down - back to the Premiership for Utd. Great team - I think not

If you conclude that based on tonight match, you don't have a clue.

The match tonight says very little about how good Barca were tonight. It was virtually a training match for them. United let themselves down tonight and gave the match to Barca.

haha I am allowed a marginal cross of the line for once. Denis grow a pair. Love it.

Ok ok, hard luck United. I iz happy though ;)

Denis grow a pair.

I have a pair....of man tits...don't mention them :(

mayordenis wrote: »
    poor form

Agreed.

How you can take plessure from watching that is beyond me. I have listened to United supporting mates all week and I still can't bring myself to slag them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Have to say so glad Chelsea didnt get through, Barca were crap that night but they made up for it tonight.

Alright I am getting carried away, I had a big bet on Barca to win @ 5-1 before Xmas and this justified my opinion the whole way.

Beautiful football won tonight for a beautiful club.

UNICEF won as well tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

monkey9 wrote: »
    There was almost an air of acceptance from Utd.

They looked less than crushed, or even shagged out through effort after 94 mins of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    thanks jesus_thats_gre and mayordenis

Did deserve that warning. I accept that.

Just home from the pub and caught up with the result. Hard luck United. Barca were class. Pity Henry didnt score though. Did him in 90 minutes.

If you conclude that based on tonight match, you don't have a clue.

The match tonight says very little about how good Barca were tonight. It was virtually a training match for them. United let themselves down tonight and gave the match to Barca.

Oh right, anytime Utd lose it is not that they got totally outplayed but because they gave the match to their opponents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Just looking at the way things finished this season i am going to make one prediction.

Man Utd will win nothing next season

UNICEF won as well tonight.

What was the score? My stream went down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Have to say so glad Chelsea didnt get through, Barca were crap that night but they made up for it tonight.

If United had played the way Chelsea played then Barca would have been crap tonight too, United/SAF beat themselves tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

What happened tonight would never have happened against Chelsea.
    I'm sure that Tom Henning Ovrebo feels vidicated now.

Tonight was a great result for football, doesn't take away from the fact Barca should not have been there

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mike65 wrote: »
    They looked less than crushed, or even shagged out through effort after 94 mins of play.

I think it was through lack of vision rather than lack of effort that they lost tonight. Though I would like to see the stats on most yards run by the players. Utd. were outplayed tonight. There's no denying it.

Sickened.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sorry for highlighting the hypocritical nature of Chong's post, mods.

Oh right, anytime Utd lose it is not that they got totally outplayed but because they gave the match to their opponents?

I am a Liverpool supporter.. I would like nothing more to be able to say that Barca are a far better side and tore United part.. To think that though would be extremely naive.. How one sided tonights match is the result of a number failings by United's players and their manager..

I nearly put me and my girlfriends holiday money on (well my money for our holiday :P) on Barce - so sicked I didn't what a hol we would of had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

eddiehead wrote: »
    If United had played the way Chelsea played then Barca would have been crap tonight too, United/SAF beat themselves tonight.

True, but it was an exhibit from barca.. some of the play from messi and co was just amazing. but they were allowed play that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whatever I say will likely get swallowed up here but anyway....

Shockingly dominant by Barca. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi = sheer class. Puyol, and Eto'o both excellent. The rest were very good too.
    No stand out performances by United.

United massively missed Fletcher with no one to stand in for him. United's midfield is lacking big time as I have said before. Carrick is decent but he needs a tough tackling midfielder to shine.

Ronaldo me arse

• Advertisement

It is also why Hargreaves missing all season looked to be a non issue as it is only against opposition with top midfields that he is really missed.

Spot on. Once Fletch got suspended I was VERY worried we'd be over run in midfield. Which is exactly what happened. :(

Hoping Hargreaves is truly over the tendonitis.

legs11 wrote: »
    Worst Performance by Man U in a European game ever

3 nil away to Milan.

4 nil away to Barca.

Defeat away to Benfica.

Loss to Lille.

Did u only start following United this year?

I'm proud of them. We didn't give Barca a game after ten mins tonight but we've had a great season (albeit without ever reaching the level we know we have) which is disappointing but I'll always support this team no matter what.

We'll keep the red flag flying high, cos Man United never die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Agreed.

How you can take plessure from watching that is beyond me. I have listened to United supporting mates all week and I still can't bring myself to slag them.

Yeah, it's weird. I texted a couple of my Utd supporting mates saying "i was gonna take the p!ss, but Barca were just quality in fairness. That was an unbelievable performance."

I can't seem to take the p!ss.

By the way, did anyone see Jeff Shreeves interviewing Ferguson?? Mid interview, a huge insect crawled crawled along Ferguson's shoulder. Hero Shreeves picked it off and threw it away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Disappointing, but what can you say? Barca are just quality, and the only way to play them is to absolutely pack the midfield which we didn't do, and probably couldn't have done given the players available.

A lot of United fans here are slating Berbatov and saying he was a waste of money etc. He missed a great chance, but the one thing he gives you is ball retention. He rarely gives it away, his control is perfect, and I actually think we would have done better had he started.

I still have faith that Anderson will be a very good player for United, but he was given a job that very few in world football can do and that he was not ready for. Himself and Carrick, who has never been the best defensively, were left alone to take on the two best attacking midfielders in world football by quite a margin. Giggs was abysmal. I don't actually know what position he was playing in he was that anonymous, but it should have been deeper.

Rooney had his worst game in a United jersey in my opinion, his touch was poor, he looked slow and the only thing he did of any merit was track back on Messi on one occasion.

Fletcher was a big loss, and Hargreaves was an even bigger one, but ultimately this night belongs to Barca.

From the moment they scored, they were excellent, and no team has done that to us since Milan in 2007, who were also the last team that possessed such an incredible central midfield.

At the end Houghton was complaining about Xavi getting Man of the Match. I thought to myself 'ah finally Ray speaks a bit of sense' until he proceeded to hail Messi without mentioning the word Iniesta. This guy is incredible, he is a hybrid of Messi and Xavi rolled into one, and while people are beginning to give him the credit he deserves, I firmly believe he should be mentioned in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo.

Well done Barca, fully deserved and if any club had to win it that wasn't United, I'm glad it's one that plays football the way it should be played.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm proud of them. We didn't give Barca a game after ten mins tonight but we've had a great season (albeit without ever reaching the level we know we have) which is disappointing but I'll always support this team no matter what.

We'll keep the red flag flying high, cos Man United never die.

Well said mate,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Iniesta said this week that training at Barca as a kid they were constantly told to:
    "Receive, pass, offer, receive, pass, offer"

Can you imagine a player of Iniesta's ability playing in England? He'd have been stuck on the wing and told to beat players at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I am a Liverpool supporter.. I would like nothing more to be able to say that Barca are a far better side and tore United part.. To think that though would be extremely naive.. How one sided tonights match is the result of a number failings by United's players and their manager..

they were a better side. that Ferguson would resort to such a system implies he didn't believe United could control the game even if they played their usual game, which roughly translates as 'Oh ****, they're better than us'

United could have played differently and exposed Barca's defence a bit more, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Anderson and Carrick would have still been woefully ineffective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

out played, out thought and out here!!!! well done barca, deligheted for them tbh. They totally out played manu, and totally deserved it.

Hobart wrote: »
    They totally out played manu, and totally deserved it.

Absolutely. Better team won. Glad Fergie said that too. No sour grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

True, but it was an exhibit from barca.. some of the play from messi and co was just amazing. but they were allowed play that way.

Thats hitting the nail on the head right there, jesus_thats_gre said that wouldn't have happened with Liverpool or Chelsea, which i agree with, but there's no reason why it should happen with United. Against Chelsea, Barca were very ineffective, I think United are more than capable of stopping them play aswell, they just decided not to go that route.....and lost.

FWIW, I dont believe Barca are the superior team, SAF just got it all wrong on the night

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Iniesta said this week that training at Barca as a kid they were constantly told to:
    "Receive, pass, offer, receive, pass, offer"

Can you imagine a player of Iniesta's ability playing in England? He'd have been stuck on the wing and told to beat players at every opportunity.

it's the same in england, ireland, scotland and wales.
    The odd club tried to teach players how to play, but most just go

Tall child - defender
    fast child - striker/winger
    neither of the above - midfield

I was quick and short when young and told to just run if found myself in my own half told to hoof.
    in spain and especially holland they are though how to play football, lookily I moved to holland and that's why I'm so awesome (may not have happened btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

carlop wrote: »
    At the end Houghton was complaining about Xavi getting Man of the Match. I thought to myself 'ah finally Ray speaks a bit of sense' until he proceeded to hail Messi without mentioning the word Iniesta. This guy is incredible, he is a hybrid of Messi and Xavi rolled into one, and while people are beginning to give him the credit he deserves, I firmly believe he should be mentioned in the same bracket as Messi and Ronaldo.

bit like Scholes in his earlier career. he plays further down the field so people only seem him offloading to Messi/Eto'o/Henry who'll then score, and it's the bit by Messi/Eto'oo/Henry that everyone remembers.

What Utd lacked tonight was a captain,now that I think of it who was the captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What Utd lacked tonight was a captain,now that I think of it who was the captain?

Giggs

eZe is going to enjoy this banging on about the beauty of Iniesta for many a long time and finally in one single game everyone decides he's the world's greatest player ever - I love you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

barcelona truly deserved it tonight.

Im abit worried about United, there midfield is really poo atm and they miss a out and out striker.

I remember the day of scholes, keane, giggs, beckham in peak and in form. Could any team even contest with that? Not to mention Van Nistelrooy up front, probably the best striker of the last decade imo

All the talk about defence this and that, i think what truly matters is the midfield of any team, Xavi and Iniesta are sheer class.

Anderson, Carrick doesnt cut it, nor does park, and nor does scholes or giggs anymore.

Defense wise UTD are solid, but they need to rebuild there midfield, ronny on the wing is grand, but who else

One thing they really need is a out and out striker

• Advertisement

Spot on. Once Fletch got suspended I was VERY worried we'd be over run in midfield. Which is exactly what happened. :(

Doh, Fletcher would have made a big difference tonight but I am still not sure whether it would have been enough.
    they were a better side. that Ferguson would resort to such a system implies he didn't believe United could control the game even if they played their usual game, which roughly translates as 'Oh ****, they're better than us'

United could have played differently and exposed Barca's defence a bit more, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Anderson and Carrick would have still been woefully ineffective.

I am not saying that Barca couldn't have won tonight. I am saying that the players that United had at their disposal and the tactics they employed put them at a disadvantage from the get go. With United set up the way they were, the superior Barca team, playing to their strengths, were always favourites.

As for Fergsuson changing it up for away matches against European opposition, it is the one black mark on a near perfect 20 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Barca : simply awsome.

United : you can straighten up and pull up your pants now, I think they're finished with you.

First post on this thread, so I'll keep it brief.

IMO, United had a pretty easy route to this final and Barca were their first real test in the CL this year.
    Barca were superb tonight, no doubt about it, but I don't believe they would have been as effective against the likes of Liverpool.

Fergie got it arseways.

I still can't quite believe lil' Messi rose ahead of United enormo-defence to head that second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Champions/27-05-2009/guardiola-per-maldini-50460011435.shtml

Guardiola dedicated the victory to Paolo Maldini. While admittedly this was in an interview with Italian television, it just goes to show what a class act the guy is, and his own achievement must not be overlooked.

In his first season as a manager, he wins the treble, and without being a dick about it in the way a Mourinho would have been.

Congrats also to the legend that is Pep Guardiola - his first season as manager and already he has broken all records - being the first Spanish side to win the treble and more importantly playing in the true Barca way.

The world salutes Barca tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Where was Uniteds spirit?:confused: After they went 1-0 down they fell apart and let Barca play their game. I think United needed more heart from their players. Congratz to Barca, ye played the beautiful game and came out on tops.

There was no leadership in that Utd team.

carlop wrote: »
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Champions/27-05-2009/guardiola-per-maldini-50460011435.shtml

Guardiola dedicated the victory to Paolo Maldini. While admittedly this was in an interview with Italian television, it just goes to show what a class act the guy is, and his own achievement must not be overlooked.

In his first season as a manager, he wins the treble, and without being a dick about it in the way a Mourinho would have been.

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

wow.

I had money on a 3- barca win but honestly expected it to be closer.

an initial 8 min spell by Utd flattered and was deceiving.

Messi > Ronnie but all messing aside, pld Barca. Coulda been more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Guardiola is an absolute legend. I really couldn't be happier right now.

Advertisement