Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    redout wrote:
    deisedevil wrote:
    Hmmmm, as much as I'd like Fletch to be cleared to play I can't understand how he could be allowed just on compassionate grounds, makes a bit of a mockery of the whole disciplinary procedure doesn't it? Would open up a can of worms aswell.
    Uefa wont overturn it. If they did then Barca will be pushing for Abidals to be overturned and he has a strong case aswell. I for one cannot see Uefa overturning two of their referees decisions from the two biggest games of the season. Look how incompetent it would make the organisation look.

Except Abidal admitted making a foul. If he hadn't I would have hoped both players had their cards rescinded.

It would make as much a mockery of the disciplinary procedure as the disciplinary procedure does to the game and common sense.

Eg.
    Few years ago my dad was playing in a 7 a side league. The guy who ran the entire thing, oversaw the referee's, upheld decisions, made all the rules etc etc was there. the opposing team had an attack but the ball went behind for a goal kick to my dads team. Some kid got the ball from behind the goal, stepped onto the pitch and kicked the ball into the net.
    The referee who was facing the opposite direction turned around, saw the ball in the net and gave a goal. Naturally enough my dad's team were incredulous. Everyone saw what happened except the referee. The team asked the guy who ran it to over rule the referee. He said he couldn't because he can't disagree with the referee.
    Ye fine it's a slightly different situation asking to over rule a referee on the spot but the principle is the same, especially given it was just a 7 a side league and not some defining point in football.
    What happened there is the same as UEFA refusing to rescind Fletcher's card. It's refusing to do the right thing because that would admit making a mistake in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Is there another sporting body anywhere that does not allow an appeals process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I was wondering if any of the Spain based boardsies could tell me how the Barcelona fans of Spanish people in general view having United as their opposition and their reaction to the final. i.e are they afraid of them or are they daunted by the task in any way or do they see themselves as being far and away the better team and United arn't that big of a hurdle in their path? Just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Isn't the game still 19 days away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    redout wrote: »
    Boylesports have both teams at 8/5 and a draw at 11/5.

That is the only bookmaker that has them both joint-favs and anyways Boyles are Irish.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I was wondering if any of the Spain based boardsies could tell me how the Barcelona fans of Spanish people in general view having United as their opposition and their reaction to the final. i.e are they afraid of them or are they daunted by the task in any way or do they see themselves as being far and away the better team and United arn't that big of a hurdle in their path? Just curious

I am not a Spanish boardsie but of course they wont be afraid of Utd. They will obviously have a huge amount of respect for them but not fear. As Guardiola said - "Man Utd are a great team but we are Barcelona".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Warper wrote: »
    That is the only bookmaker that has them both joint-favs and anyways Boyles are Irish.

Makes no difference - so are paddy power yet both operate in the UK also just as ladbrokes operates in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anyone wana explain to me why people are arguing over bookmaker odds for?

Does it really make a blind bit of difference?

Makes no difference - so are paddy power yet both operate in the UK also just as ladbrokes operates in Ireland.

My original post stated English bookmakers so in terms of correctness of my original post it does make a difference. But so what, the point is bookies view Barca as favs for this tie. In reality this is pretty much a 50-50 game. If you do fancy a bet though definitely wait until the days leading up to the final as last year Paddy Power offered refunds on all losing bets if Ronaldo scored in the final and we all know what happened there.

Lads I am telling you'se not to buy tickets from unofficial sources for the final. I have been offered two by some Italian who fed me bull after I put to him the credit card tickets holding the original ticket holders name and passport no. He told me he would give me a copy of his ID and I could stick my picture over it.

No thanks !

"The new-design tickets will be similar to a bank card and will contain a chip holding the name, surname and identity number of the purchaser. Apart from giving you access to the stadium, it will also be valid for free public transport from 26th to 28th May"

"UEFA and the Italian police have informed us that there will be two access filters to the Olympic Stadium in Rome. One access point is in the exterior zone of the stadium similar to the Camp Nou and the other is for entry to the stadium. There will be police checkpoints at both access points and you will have to show your ticket and your identity card or passport. Entry will not be permitted unless you have a ticket and an identity document. The police reserve the right to confiscate any ticket and to take measures against any person holding such tickets.

There will be electronic ticket scanners at the entrances which will show the ticket holders name, surname and identity number"

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/engli...es_compra.html

• Advertisement

Just to help get us in the mood.........

Scholes_v_Barca.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

With all this talk of 'Dream Teams'...

Jesus, looking at all four of them Barca goals there the defending was absolutely dreadful for every single one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kinaldo wrote: »
    With all this talk of 'Dream Teams'...

Jesus 1994, what a year league and cup double... and i think newcastle were still in the PL back then, my how times change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

lordgoat wrote: »
    Jesus 1994, what a year league and cup double... and i think newcastle were still in the PL back then, my how times change.
    you're resorting to Newcastle digs in this thread... :confused:

Catalan press are reporting that Henry will be out until the Champions league final and so will miss Barca's last four remaining league games and next weeks Copa del Rey final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Was looking at the Poll- Barcelona (Neutral) Should Be switched to Barcelona (Liverpool Fan).

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    Jesus, looking at all four of them Barca goals there the defending was absolutely dreadful for every single one.

As can be said about last years Scholes goal... Zambrotta acting the tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

eZe^ wrote: »

Yeah like it wasn't down to a magnificent strike or anything, it had to be awful defending!

• Advertisement

More news on Henry:

According to club medics, Henry has suffered from an anterior cruciate ligament strain in his right knee and is undergoing specific treatment to try and ensure that he can play in Rome against Manchester United.

Cruciate ligament is serious but they key here is its strained and not torn. Anyone know a proper timeframe to fully recover that including getting back to full fitness ? It happened on May 2 and the final is May 27 so there is 25 days in between. Should he be fully fit by then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

As much as hope and pray Barca destroy them I doubt it will happen, the mancs are just too jammy.

Mancs win 1-0, 93rd minute, Giggs.

Barcelona (United fan)
    RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah like it wasn't down to a magnificent strike or anything, it had to be awful defending!

Ya, well if ye are gonna sh*t on Barcas parade when they trashed UTD 4-0 then I'll do likewise.

Ya, well if ye are gonna sh*t on Barcas parade when they trashed UTD 4-0 then I'll do likewise.

I am not sure whats going on here but when I said the defending was awful I wasnt trying to rain on anyones parade. 3 of the 4 goals United gave the bloody ball straight to a Barca player which said player then stuck in the net ! That is obviously dreadful defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Barcelona (United fan)
    I am not sure whats going on here but when I said the defending was awful I wasnt trying to rain on anyones parade. 3 of the 4 goals United gave the bloody ball straight to a Barca player which said player then stuck in the net ! That is obviously dreadful defending.

Great teams can make opposing defenders, who are usually fairly decent and dependable, look distinctly average. That was a great Barca team- they were only toying with United.

Barcelona (United fan)
    3 of the 4 goals United gave the bloody ball straight to a Barca player which said player then stuck in the net ! That is obviously dreadful defending.

Is that not EXACTLY what Barca also did for Scholes goal last year?

• Advertisement

Is that not EXACTLY what Barca also did for Scholes goal last year?

Yes but I wasnt trying to be a cu*t by pointing it out. I watched it and made a general observation. Wasnt my intention to rile anyone brother. Apologies if I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is there any goal bar one in a million which ultimately the defender couldn't have stopped.

Barca destroyed us in 1994, a year we were darn good players [but we're ****ed due to the rules].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is it true barca have lauched an appeal against the sending off of abidal and the yellow to alves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Just saw it on the SkySports website.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5306263,00.html

Headshot wrote: »
    is it true barca have lauched an appeal against the sending off of abidal and the yellow to alves ?

Yes but there appeal will fall on deaf ears same as Uniteds. This news broke this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Just to add to that I dont know how they are even appealing because on friday Uefa released a statement confirming Alves and Abidal would miss the final because Barca chose not to appeal within 24hrs of the match which is a Uefa rule.

Come on barca!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

PHB wrote: »
    Is there any goal bar one in a million which ultimately the defender couldn't have stopped.

Nonsense point. Obviously there are different levels of bad defending.

Such as a Titus Bramble mistake we saw down the years as an example, compared to someone who should of closed down slightly better from a 40 yard rocket into the top corner.(not talking about Scholes here by the way before Eze starts crying again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

More news on Henry:

According to club medics, Henry has suffered from an anterior cruciate ligament strain in his right knee and is undergoing specific treatment to try and ensure that he can play in Rome against Manchester United.

Cruciate ligament is serious but they key here is its strained and not torn. Anyone know a proper timeframe to fully recover that including getting back to full fitness ? It happened on May 2 and the final is May 27 so there is 25 days in between. Should he be fully fit by then ?

Very unlikely he will be back. And even if he is, he will have no confidence in his knee.

Pity Barca didnt wrap up the League tonight - I didnt see the match but it sounded like a cracker 3-3. They will need to start giving Caceres/Sylvinho some gametime over their next few matches to have them match-fit for the final. Actually Abidal will be suspended now in La Liga because of his red-card tonight so maybe a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Europe's best defenders vs Europe's best forwards, sexual.

Ya whoever wins will be crowned the best team in the world - no if's or but's. Barca win and Ronaldo having a Drogba-like moment at the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ya whoever wins will be crowned the best team in the world - no if's or but's. Barca win and Ronaldo having a Drogba-like moment at the final whistle.

no need at all for the second half of your post, just shows you to be bitter and obsessive. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So Iniesta has apparently torn his thigh muscle. Having a scan tomorrow but those normally take 4-5 weeks to heal, final is in 17 days.

Is it just me or is the prep for United in terms of Barca's squad going a little too well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Advertisement

Barcelona (United fan)
    FFS, he's been the best player in the world bar none the past few weeks too. May aswell play Barca Athletic against United come the final....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

FFS, he's been the best player in the world bar none the past few weeks too. May aswell play Barca Athletic against United come the final....

Don't worry, you've still got Gudjohnsen and Hleb!;)

no need at all for the second half of your post, just shows you to be bitter and obsessive. Pathetic.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and if you are that stupid that you cant see that - well thats your problem. So Sad - are you going to post anything or just post vile comments.

Barcelona (United fan)
    An Citeog wrote: »
    Don't worry, you've still got Gudjohnsen and Hleb!;)

Maybe we can ask for Saviola and Maxi Lopez back too, being the world beaters they are.... :pac:

Regards Iniesta I hope and pray that he is fit for the final as he is in the form of his life - they should know tomorrow how long he will be out for so he might still make it. Thats him and Henry in cotton wool for the next few weeks.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and if you are that stupid that you cant see that - well thats your problem. So Sad - are you going to post anything or just post vile comments.
    How was it obvious your post was tongue in cheek. You had a pop at Ronaldo with nothing else in your post indicating that you were joking or didn't mean it. Nothing. As for posting nothing but vile comments. Pull your head out of your ass before you throw an accusation like that - any poster on here will tell you that the vast majority of what i post here is nothing close to vile, so you can retract that statement.

If you are going to try post tongue in cheek comments, you might want to get some sense of wit first, cause you suck at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Regards Iniesta I hope and pray that he is fit for the final as he is in the form of his life - they should know tomorrow how long he will be out for so he might still make it. Thats him and Henry in cotton wool for the next few weeks.

Ya don't wanna rush him back either though or he could cause himself long-term damage :pac: Take your time and think about the future Andrés !

Dave! wrote: »
    Ya don't wanna rush him back either though or he could cause himself long-term damage :pac: Take your time and think about the future Andrés !

he had a similar injury this season, i think, and was out for 5 weeks. Tomorrow will be very interesting with regards to the final. Should have news on Abidal, Fletcher and Alves, along with Iniesta.

Abidal and Fletcher should have their bans rescinded, but I don't think Alves should. It was a stupid attempt for the ball and it deserved a yellow imo - i don't think the ref made a mistake on that one so I don't think he should have it taken away.

How was it obvious your post was tongue in cheek. You had a pop at Ronaldo with nothing else in your post indicating that you were joking or didn't mean it. Nothing. As for posting nothing but vile comments. Pull your head out of your ass before you throw an accusation like that - any poster on here will tell you that the vast majority of what i post here is nothing close to vile, so you can retract that statement.

If you are going to try post tongue in cheek comments, you might want to get some sense of wit first, cause you suck at it.

Retract my statement, pull my head out of my ass - you make me laugh - it isnt my fault that you are that dumb that you cannot interpret wit when you see it. I had a pop at Ronaldo??? Wake the hell up - everyone has a pop at Ronaldo - he deserves it - the only people that back Ronaldo up are braindead Man Utd fans like yourself that defend every single thing he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Maybe I'm biased but Ronaldos been excellent since Porto game. ;)

Advertisement