Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v FC Barcelona - Champions league Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Manchester United (Barcelona fan)
    Wow, people's allegiances really do cloud their view. I wonder if it was Mascherano or Super Steve would you feel the same Mr. Alan? Fletcher got the ball, look at the first view on the youtube video and tell me how on God's green earth Fabregas will get near that ball? It's in Van Der Sar's control half a second after the tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

brag: going over to barca the 27th, hopefully they win, should be some party if they do!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mr. Alan, not really sure thats what UEFA's statement implies. It just states that they had no grounds for challenging the refs decision, not that his decision was the right one.

---

Aside from the fact that I dispute that Fabregas would have gotten to the ball, which is imo a tough call, I just can't accept that sorta idea of how a tackle plays out.

If you are in a 50-50, and you win the tackle, hoof the ball high up in the air, and in the follow through cream the other player who subsequently falls over to the left. You get up and control the ball as its coming down on the left, while the player is on the ground.
    Is that not a foul just as much as Fletcher's on Fabregas was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Anyone else notice he hasn't answered the question about the pen in the Spurs game, :mad:

It was not a foul, anyone of the opinion it was does not know anything about football EOS.(Obviously not talking about Initial viewing but having see all angles)
    or is blatantly anti-United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

deisedevil wrote: »
    Seems a bit hypocritical Mr. Alan. Was the penalty United got against Spurs ok now then?

Hypocritical? Mr. Alan? God no.

The rule is if it benefits United it was the wrong decision, if it doesn't it is the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona (United fan)
    shano_88 wrote: »
    brag: going over to barca the 27th, hopefully they win, should be some party if they do!!!

Shoulda went to Manchester mate, history is not on Barca's side when it comes to CL finals!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Don't care (just want the game to be a cracker)
    shano_88 wrote: »

You know what, the same thing crossed my mind - rather than go to Rome without a ticket - go to Barcelona amd watch it there - plus the women .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Mr Alan wrote: »
    me, the ref & uefa who according to SSN this evening said even if they were to allow the appeal, the red card would have stood.

no, no he didnt. read that article again.

thank you.

folks, check out the video PHB posted, look at the video at 46 seconds or so, anyone telling me Fabregas wasn't favourite to still score is deluded.

after the initial tackle is when the foul was commited imo.

Why didn't you answer my question while you were at it there?

Was the penalty United got against Spurs ok now then?

Also, like has been said already, UEFA never said the ref got it right:

"In reaching its decision, the control and disciplinary body concluded (i) that the protests had not been submitted within the required 24-hour deadline of a match for filing protests - as specified in the disciplinary regulations," the statement continued.

"And (ii) that even if they had been admitted they would have been rejected as unfounded as there were no grounds for contesting the referees' original decisions."

They followed the rules and the only way the refs original decision could have been overturned was if it was mistaken identity.

It's because of Liverpool fans like yourself MR. Alan that when we lift the PL in OT on Saturday it'll make it even sweeter. Enjoy playing West Brom on Sunday, it'll be an important game for ye, gotta make sure ye don't surrender the 2nd spot to Chelski :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Right lads, lets try and nip this in the bud now.

Quit the United vs Liverpool crap.

Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Can't remember my take on the Gomes/Carrick peno tbh. I didn't watch all that game live, only the first half. I knew Utd would come back & win it so went and tidied my room for the second half. true story.

I don't really get the relevence though. someone can pm me the incident & i'll view it this evening if my take on it is so important to this discussion.

I've explained why think the fletcher incident was the right call, and given my logic, my opinion is the same as the ref who viewed the incident & refs who have viewed it subsequently.

surely Utd fans can spot the irony when they call my opinion biased, when i have actually given reasons for my thoughts on it.....whereas all Utd fans have done to defend Flectcher is claim "oh he got the ball first" which is actually nothing to do with what constitutes a foul.

Can't remember my take on the Gomes/Carrick peno tbh.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59982530&postcount=324

jesus boggles, i hardly set the place on fire did i? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Does it not suggest though that u were watching the match? ;)

Well you did post 3 minutes after the peno was given.

Thought you were tidying your room? ;)

Boggles wrote: »

LMFAO!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Can't remember my take on the Gomes/Carrick peno tbh. I didn't watch all that game live, only the first half. I knew Utd would come back & win it so went and tidied my room for the second half. false story.

In light of recent evidence I took it upon myself to correct the first part of your post.

It's great when people are caught out

no it suggests that my brother ran into the hall in my house screaming that Webb had given a peno. me, being in my room, obviously heard this. lads, get a life :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Clowns shoes all round guys!

Anyone think Gibson (and others) deserve a new contract. I wouldn't mind giving him another year to see how good he can become.

• Advertisement

Can't remember my take on the Gomes/Carrick peno tbh. I didn't watch all that game live, only the first half. I knew Utd would come back & win it so went and tidied my room for the second half. true story.

I don't really get the relevence though. someone can pm me the incident & i'll view it this evening if my take on it is so important to this discussion.

I've explained why think the fletcher incident was the right call, and given my logic, my opinion is the same as the ref who viewed the incident & refs who have viewed it subsequently.

surely Utd fans can spot the irony when they call my opinion biased, when i have actually given reasons for my thoughts on it.....whereas all Utd fans have done to defend Flectcher is claim "oh he got the ball first" which is actually nothing to do with what constitutes a foul.

He's got you there!

em. no he doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

em. no he doesnt.

Jeez Alan, he clearly does.

You lied about not watching the penalty, you said you were cleaning your room. You posted about the penalty 3 minutes after it was given and were giving out about Webb, so you clearly saw it and clearly thought Webb was wrong to give it.

Barcelona (United fan)
    Sigh, this may be even more laborious and periodic than comparing Ronaldo to Messi... Can you people at least pretend that your posts are about the final?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Sigh, this may be even more laborious and periodic than comparing Ronaldo to Messi... Can you people at least pretend that your posts are about the final?

it kinda does.... it all stems from the red card fletcher got, which sees him miss the final.

Question:

Who is the greater loss: Fletcher or Abidal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Where's Pighead when you need him?

ha ha mitch, i said well done webb! :rolleyes:....he just gave Utd a peno, i didnt care if it was the most stonewall incident, i wasn't happy!..i hadn't even seen the incident.

i was in my attic. brother shouted "oh my god, what a joke!", i thought he said, "oh my god, what a goal!" meaning spurs had gone further ahead....opened the door and shouted "who" down to him, he repeated what he said & i was heartbroken when he did cause i could make out wat he said, which is why i remember it :(

god this is weird justifying my movements in my house to you lads. i'll stop now, needless to say, i'd have no need to lie about it. I watched the first half and the last couple of minutes of that match.

so boggles didnt "own me" or whatever, he proved i was aware the penalty was given, something i never said i wasn't.

ha ha mitch, i said well done webb! :rolleyes:....he just gave Utd a peno, i didnt care if it was the most stonewall incident, i wasn't happy!..i hadn't even seen the incident.

i was in my attic. brother shouted "oh my god, what a joke!", i thought he said, "oh my god, what a goal!" meaning spurs had gone further ahead....opened the door and shouted "who" down to him, he repeated what he said & i was heartbroken when he did cause i could make out wat he said, which is why i remember it :(

god this is weird justifying my movements in my house to you lads. i'll stop now, needless to say, i'd have no need to lie about it. I watched the first half and the last couple of minutes of that match.

so boggles didnt "own me" or whatever, he proved i was aware the penalty was given, something i never said i wasn't.

Fair enough. But I'm sure you can understand how we thought you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

no it suggests that my brother ran into the hall in my house screaming that Webb had given a peno. me, being in my room, obviously heard this. lads, get a life :rolleyes:
    I bet you don't even have a brother. Or a room.

• Advertisement

Denial.ashx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Pighead wrote: »
    I bet you don't even have a brother. Or a room.

I've been in both

Question:

Fletcher imo, especially if Iniesta plays. I don't think Abidal is all that great, Slyvinho won't be that bad a replacement. Fletcher's energy and commitment will be missed vs Iniesta and Xavi.

BTW - I am missing something here? What the hell are ye all on about? The penalty in the Spurs match wasnt a penalty - even Howard Webb came out and said afterwards that it wasnt a penalty and he had made a mistake??

BACK ON TOPIC - Abidal or Fletcher?

Considering Barca will be without 3 of their regular back-line surely Abidal is more of a loss considering formations. Its bad enough having half your backline out but 3 out of the 4 is disastrous. Utd. have no new injury concerns or suspensions apart from Fletcher and have a ready-made replacement in Anderson anyways so surely Abidal is more of a loss than Fletcher.

Question:

I would have to say Fletcher, his energy is unreal.

Abidal doesn't make that big of a difference to the team IMO

Warper wrote: »
    BTW - I am missing something here? What the hell are ye all on about? The penalty in the Spurs match wasnt a penalty - even Howard Webb came out and said afterwards that it wasnt a penalty and he had made a mistake??

Maybe you should have a read back over the last few pages.

Barcelona (United fan)
    Question:

Fletcher, he would be the only midfielder in Uniteds team (bar Hargreaves) who could properly nullify Xavi or Iniesta... He has been amazing this year imo, and would be able to seriously mess with Barca's rhythm. Now Anderson can do a job there too, but he won't be anywhere near as effective imo.

For Barca their pressure when not in possession is uniform all over the pitch, so it doesn't really rely heavily on Abidal doing applying more pressure than Henry, so in theory he isn't as big a loss. However when you factor in that it'll probably be a 35 year old Sylvinho, who wasn't the best defensively even in his prime, will be marking Ronaldo, one of the top 3 players in the world right now. Then you come to a few potential hiccups... ;)

Alves vs Fletcher would be a more important comparison, considering Alves has been 20% of the reason why Barca have been so good this season imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

BACK ON TOPIC - Abidal or Fletcher?

Considering Barca will be without 3 of their regular back-line surely Abidal is more of a loss considering formations. Its bad enough having half your backline out but 3 out of the 4 is disastrous. Utd. have no new injury concerns or suspensions apart from Fletcher and have a ready-made replacement in Anderson anyways so surely Abidal is more of a loss than Fletcher.

Mr. Alan claimed that the Fletcher one was. The discussion was that it was the same as the Spurs one. Caught up?

Who's the bigger loss. Fletcher or Alves & Abidal?

deisedevil wrote: »
    Maybe you should have a read back over the last few pages.

I see now alright - it was like crimecall there for a bit.

• Advertisement

I see now alright - it was like crimecall there for a bit.

Lol :D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Mr. Alan claimed that the Fletcher one was. The discussion was that it was the same as the Spurs one. Caught up?

Who's the bigger loss. Fletcher or Alves & Abidal?

Fletcher again, as coping with Iniesta will be the big thing United have to do in order to win the game. Alves would be next, without him I reckon Messi will be less effective cause Alves won't be pulling players away from Messi and absolving Messi of the need to play on the wing (meaning he can move more freely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Question:

Fletcher is a much bigger loss in my mind, an important player for a game like this. Iniesta would be a much bigger loss than either though.
    Id fancy United to win this one, hope im wrong

Fletcher again, as coping with Iniesta will be the big thing United have to do in order to win the game. Alves would be next, without him I reckon Messi will be less effective cause Alves won't be pulling players away from Messi and absolving Messi of the need to play on the wing (meaning he can move more freely).

Very true, someone said that to me at the weekend and it's gonna be a big plus, Evra can concentrate fully on Messi without having to go towards Alves bombing it down the wing.

I think Anderson could do a decent job as a DM for the game. I think United have to focus on their own game and not try to set up to stop all of Barca's threats. Cause you can't. If we play like we did against Arsenal I think we can win it as Barca have a very similar style and don't appear to have a plan B.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think Anderson could do a decent job as a DM for the game. I think United have to focus on their own game and not try to set up to stop all of Barca's threats. Cause you can't. If we play like we did against Arsenal I think we can win it as Barca have a very similar style and don't appear to have a plan B.

I reckon Carrick will go DM, Anderson will be told to "RUN RUN RUN RUN" and hassle everyone not wearing white, and then (imo) Giggs will be the third midfielder, with the more attacking role (between him and Scholes, and I think Giggs edges in terms of mobility and defensive ability.

• Advertisement

I reckon Carrick will go DM, Anderson will be told to "RUN RUN RUN RUN" and hassle everyone not wearing white, and then (imo) Giggs will be the third midfielder, with the more attacking role (between him and Scholes, and I think Giggs edges in terms of mobility and defensive ability.

So something like:

Carrick----Anderson

Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Rooney

Berbatov

I'd be happy enough with that. Carrick has got to do more defensively though. He went through a spell this season where he was constantly on top of opposition players when we didn't have the ball and he tackled well and won ball for us. He's got to start doing that again, we'll have to do what Chelsea did but we should be able to counter better and with the defenders Barca have left we might get more joy.

Carrick isn't a DM though. He's a passer, that's it. He can hit a few shots from outside the box (though not to Scholes quality) While Ando is a grafter, tackles and if he fell into a barrel of boobs he'd come up sucking his thumb (he can't score).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

Barcelona (Neutral)

Carrick----Anderson

Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Tevez

Berbatov

God I'd love to see Fergie using all of them. I personally would like to see Tevez starting too. His workrate and energy would be very important, especially around an unconvincing back four and getting the ball in the midfield.
    Berbatov the lazy sh1t would want to improve further on his performance against City, he was good but really needs to shine in Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Barcelona (Barcelona fan)
    Rooney will start on the left, to help Evra with Messi. That is nailed on.

Ronaldo will do his usual European gig of playing as the highest up the field forward.

Des wrote: »
    Rooney will start on the left, to help Evra with Messi. That is nailed on.

Ronaldo will do his usual European gig of playing as the highest up the field forward.

--Park
    Anderson----Carrick--

Berbatov----Rooney

Ronaldo

Forgot about Ronaldo being played more up front, might start something like this then. Plenty of options to bring in with Scholes, Giggs, Tevez on the bench.

• Advertisement
Advertisement