Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odds calculation question.

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Lads, help needed. My sums are failing me.

I want to sum a number of events together to get the probability og it happening, and calculate fractional odds.

For instance, If Pipe has two runners in a race both quoted at 4/1, I would expect a price for a 'David pipe Trained winner' be 6/4.

I.e. 4/1 is 20% chance (4+1=5/100*1=20% + 4+1=5/100*1=20%)

A 40% shot is 6/4. I dont mean to be patronising, Im laying things out clearly for my own thinking.

The event in question I am talking about is this:
    http://http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&disp_cat_id=56&ev_class_id=33&ev_type_id=4756&ev_oc_grp_ids=108925&bir_index=

Im looking at FF to get no seats at 40/1.
    My logic therefore is that FF to win more than 0 seats is 1/40. I want to test this by adding up the probabilities of FF candidates winning a seat per constituency.

Ireland South: To win:
    Crowley 1/10
    O'Keefe 11/2.

That means that FF have a 105% chance of winning one, if I add their probabilities together -yes? Is this correct reasoning?

I do this for all the other constituencies.

West: 71% to get a seat
    East 93% to get a seat
    Dublin 78% to get a seat.

I sum the probablilities together to get that FF have a 374% chance of winning a seat.

How do I convert this to a 'FF to win at least 1 seat' odd, and then invert that to get FF to win no seat?

I fully accept my logic may be flawed above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bookmakers will say that they aren't independetn events. If FF are struggling to get a seat in Dublin, they're also less likely to get a seat in Leinster

Kinda like the way that the price on a football scorecast is shorter than the combined odds of a first scorer/correct score double would be (if they allowed them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Dodge wrote: »
    Bookmakers will say that they aren't independetn events. If FF are struggling to get a seat in Dublin, they're also less likely to get a seat in Leinster

Kinda like the way that the price on a football scorecast is shorter than the combined odds of a first scorer/correct score double would be (if they allowed them)

Id actually dispute that logic. Each constituency is a seperate election. Liam Alyward getting elected or not does not mean that Brian Crowley will het elected, or not.
    Sure if FF are at 75% in the polls, they will get elected, but that should be reflected in their price.

A 'FF to win 5 seats and Liam Alyward to win a seat' double is most certainly a related bet however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd tend to agree with you but I was trying to look at it from the bookmaker's POV. They're unlikely to let you have any benefit of the doubt

I should point out I'm in work and can't access the PP site so I haven't looked at any of the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

meriwether wrote: »
    That means that FF have a 105% chance of winning one, if I add their probabilities together -yes? Is this correct reasoning?

1. Your first step will be to convert this to a 100% book, as obviously FF cannot have a 105% of winning a seat in this constituency. So you'll have to convery by working out the bookies overround (prob around the 25% mark) and distributing it around the odds of all candidates pro-rata.

2. Do the same for each of the other constituencies.

3. Now armed with the actual percentages for each constituency work the Y/N odds for Fianna Fail overall.

4. Revert the odds keeping the book 100% (so if its 88% that Fianna Fail get a seat in constituency W, then its 12% they don't).

5. Work out the odds of the "Don't get a seat" multiplier coming up.

6. Revert this in a 100% book to get the odds on minimum One seat.

7. Wonder afterwards whether it was a bit of a time waste. (P.S, My rough maths doing the above make it about 1/2100 that they get at least one seat).

Advertisement