Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bodyforlife challenge

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I am going to restart a fitness program on sunday I really need to make this work I will do the bodyforlife program by Bill Phillips and my goal is to lose 30lbs of fat in 12 weeks

The programs consists of working out instensely 6 days a week rotating weights with very intense cardio the weights sessions are 45 mins and the cardio sessions are only 20 nins but they are very intense

For nutrition I will eat 6 small meals every day except for saturday which will be my freeday this is a day I can eat what I want but I must remain strict the other 6 days on my 6 good nutrition days each mean will consist of a portion of good carbs and a portion of protein and I will also eat 1 tablepoon of flax oil every day or 3 portions of salmon a week to get in my healthy fat.I will have 3 wholefood meals and 3 meal replacement shakes

A days plan will look like this

6.00am workout
    7.45 mea1 myoplex
    10.00 meal 2 lowfat cottage cheese and lowfat yogurt
    12.30 meal 3 wholewheat ham sadwich with relish and mustard and a large salad
    3.30 meal4 myoplex
    6.00 meal5 salmon or lean steak baked potato and broccoli
    9.00 meal 6 myoplex

I am starting at 290lbs and 30% bodyfat I know its going to take longer than 12 weeks to get into great shape but this should give me a good start
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

OP whats your current training like?? i wouldnt go diving straight into a 6 day a week program if you're not used to training.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Its only 3 days of weight training and a total of 4 hours exercise a week its not too excessive in my opinion

working out instensely 6 days a week

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

:rolleyes:

Smart replies like that help no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Good luck mate, but bit of advice - cut out the shakes cos you absolutely don't need them. Extra calories there that you can do without - makes things a bit easier for yourself.

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    Smart replies like that help no one.

i swear to God i hadn't seen the spelling mistake!!:confused:

I was merely pointing out that he shouldn't dive head first into the deep end if hes never gone for a paddle

And best of look to him!!

EDIT: i've no problem admitting being a Knob when im actually being one though!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know that I am going to get a lot of different opinions about what I am doing but I have decided to stick the plan I have outlined for 12 weeks and assess my progress then.Its only 12 weeks out of my life and if I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked I can consider peoples opinions then.

Update.....................................................................................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think it's possible to lose 30lbs in 12 weeks when you eat whatever you want for one whole day per week.

If I gave myself the freedom to eat whatever I want one day a week then I may as well just save myself the money for a gym membership, I could easily consume the calories burned in one week in one day.

I don't think it's possible to lose 30lbs in 12 weeks when you eat whatever you want for one whole day per week.

If I gave myself the freedom to eat whatever I want one day a week then I may as well just save myself the money for a gym membership, I could easily consume the calories burned in one week in one day.

I wouldnt say that, depends on your goals and your own personal physiology...etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I have that book & the Eating for life one (good for recipes that suit the program). I don't do this program but it was the first step in re-educating me re nutrition & metab & excercise etc etc.
    I don't think it's a bad program at all. Good luck!

I did hate those myoplex shakes though, very very sweet & he tends to veer toward artificially sweetened things which I'm not a fan of these days.

did my back in last monday so I have had to take a week off still sticking to the diet and walking will go back to the gym this monday

I am sceptical too but it has worked for milllions.Its only 12 weeks out of my life so if it doesn't work I can move on

Any results, how'd you do your back in?

Any results, how'd you do your back in?

I only started last sunday so I dont expect there to be much results yet I feel better thats one thing

I will weigh myself on monday and see if there is any progress this week

I am sceptical too but it has worked for milllions.Its only 12 weeks out of my life so if it doesn't work I can move on
    How has it worked for millions:confused:

How has it worked for millions:confused:

http://bodyforlife.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Them shakes sound terribly expensive. At $109 per pack of 42 servings, and considering by your plan you will need 18 servings perk week, you are looking at 5+ packs and well over $500.

Might I add, for what seems to be whey powder and a multi-vitamin. Couldn't you invest this money a little better?

I'd understand if you were at you wits end, and just want something too work, but sometimes you gotta step back and think about things.

lol, okay, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Personally, and I think most will agree with me, you're not going to get anywhere eating all the crap you want 1 day a week.

Can anyone jog my memory as to who was the driving force behind EAS supps?? did he have something to do with MuscleMedia2000 and being very adept at marketing shiiite to people???

Maybe im going mad!

EDIT: apparently im still slightly lucid!! Bill Philips is the dudes name!

• Advertisement

lol, okay, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Personally, and I think most will agree with me, you're not going to get anywhere eating all the crap you want 1 day a week.

When you take someone thats been eating what they want 7 days a week and does no exercise and then they start a prgram of exercising 6 days a week with strict nutrition 6 days a week with one off day then of course they will make some improvment. That aside im hoping in 12 weeks with the results i get will be enough to convince you

Them shakes sound terribly expensive. At $109 per pack of 42 servings, and considering by your plan you will need 18 servings perk week, you are looking at 5+ packs and well over $500.

Might I add, for what seems to be whey powder and a multi-vitamin. Couldn't you invest this money a little better?

I'd understand if you were at you wits end, and just want something too work, but sometimes you gotta step back and think about things.

Well I can get 42 for 96 euro and while some people will still think thats expensive you have to remember each shake is a quality meal consisting of a protein source a carb source and 50% rda its like a chicken breast brown rice and vitamins liquidised and at 2.30 euro a pop I dont think they are too expensive

Plus they are also very very convienent I can go to the gym in the morning have a shower at work and have a quick shake before I start work I can also pop out at 3.30 to have something quick for my 4th meal

Lastly for those argueing the cost issue you have to remember while on this program people shouldnt be smoking or drinking or eating out that often so your actually saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I did it a few years ago (modified version of BFL with a personal trainer). It was very intense, but rewarding. Unlike Bill's program, I did 9 sessions a week - weights on 6 days, cardio on alternate days (so some days I trained twice).

I was in pretty good shape before I started, and I definitely didn't lose 30lb. I think I put on about 13lb of muscle if I remember correctly and got my body fat just under 10%.

For the off day, you don't eat whatever you want. You don't exercise, and you can have a cheat meal (pizza, chips, something unhealthy!) but you don't go nuts....

Mr E wrote: »
    I did it a few years ago (modified version of BFL with a personal trainer). It was very intense, but rewarding. Unlike Bill's program, I did 9 sessions a week - weights on 6 days, cardio on alternate days (so some days I trained twice).

I was in pretty good shape before I started, and I definitely didn't lose 30lb. I think I put on about 13lb of muscle if I remember correctly and got my body fat just under 10%.

For the off day, you don't eat whatever you want. You don't exercise, and you can have a cheat meal (pizza, chips, something unhealthy!) but you don't go nuts....

Bodyforlife book quote

"Six days a week,you need to follow the eating guidelines I've been telling you about in this section and on the seventh day I ask you to eat what ever you want, whenever you want , in what ever combination you so desire, I call this your free day"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Well I can get 42 for 96 euro and while some people will still think thats expensive you have to remember each shake is a quality meal consisting of a protein source a carb source and 50% rda its like a chicken breast brown rice and vitamins liquidised and at 2.30 euro a pop I dont think they are too expensive

Plus they are also very very convienent I can go to the gym in the morning have a shower at work and have a quick shake before I start work I can also pop out at 3.30 to have something quick for my 4th meal

Still kinda seems expensive to me. You are still spending circa €41 for a week. My eating isn't the best to be perfectly honest, but if I was spending €41 a week before groceries, I would be concerned.

At the same time, they are convenient. It just seems to me 3 shakes a day is a lot, and probably not something you will want to do forever, hence not really a lasting change in your diet. Do you phase these out with real food sometime in the program?

Wish you luck anyhow.

I am sorry for neglecting this journal put I have been unwell plus I have had the back issue. I have been so miss-fortunate. I will come back to it as soon as I can

I would appreciate it if posters could refrain from filling up my journal thread with pointless posts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

This is the guy's fitness log its not a general fitness thread. Some people acting like total twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Davei141 wrote: »
    This is the guy's fitness log its not a general fitness thread. Some people acting like total twats.

I agree. GTFO of the guys fitness logs please the lot of ye.

edit: I have cleared out the BS. You may or may not like the OP but keep your poxy comments out of his logs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

OP,i've obviously been reading your threads over the last couple of years.
    You desperatly want to get fit and to lose weight,am i right?
    However you have a problem..you have a problem with drinking too much.
    I know because i used to have one too.
    As a result i was unhappy,overweight and extremely unhealthy,most of my meals were takeaways and kebabs.
    You know why?
    Because when you drink too much it depletes salt levels in the body and you crave the stuff..chinese,chipper food..anything you dont have to cook is loaded with salt.
    Food like that combined with the drink that made you crave it is going to pile on the weight and not in a good way..manboobs,a belly the bloated face..i know,i was there.
    Drink depreses you,it kills your motivation
    The point is this..the only way i could break that cycle was by giving up drink completely.
    Not cutting down,knocking it on the head for several months at least.
    Its actually not that difficult,just say "tommorow,i'm not drinking" and stick to it.

The first few days drag but after a while you find you become more alert mentally,you suddenly desire to do things,mow the lawn,tidy the house..alll sorts.
    Next thing you know,the idea o greasy food or takeaways seems repugnat,2000 calories in a tray..disgusting.
    After two weeks,i swear you'll find it getting easy..you CAN go into pubs and just drink iced water..bring a book with you if you're by yourself..whatever.
    The thing is that drink slows you down and holds you back.
    It kills workouts,ruins diets and that can add to a feeling of helplesness leading to more binge eating and more weight gain.
    Thats where your knowledge of nutrition comes in..you know what you should be eating..start doing it..prepare your meal plans a day in advance,remind yourself that you're getting healthy and fatty,greasy foods are not what you want or need.
    Select a workout plan and there are thousands..start slowly,i lift like a mouse but i've progressed and its a good feeling.
    Progress
    with weights and weight loss is slow though..you read about losing 2kilos a week and all taht sort of stuff but the reality is that you wont lose much weight for six weeks and even then its imperceptable but it does happen and you can speed it up by doing cardio or tweaking your diet.
    If you are going to give up drink there can be no cheat meals and no shakes,eat little and often,you need to burn the fat off but not starve yourself,cheat meals are a step backwards and shakes are simply not necessary.
    Give up the booze completley and you'll be a differnet man in six months.
    Peace.

Advertisement