Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Bodyforlife challenge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Degsy wrote: »
    OP,i've obviously been reading your threads over the last couple of years.
    You desperatly want to get fit and to lose weight,am i right?
    However you have a problem..you have a problem with drinking too much.
    I know because i used to have one too.
    As a result i was unhappy,overweight and extremely unhealthy,most of my meals were takeaways and kebabs.
    You know why?
    Because when you drink too much it depletes salt levels in the body and you crave the stuff..chinese,chipper food..anything you dont have to cook is loaded with salt.
    Food like that combined with the drink that made you crave it is going to pile on the weight and not in a good way..manboobs,a belly the bloated face..i know,i was there.
    Drink depreses you,it kills your motivation
    The point is this..the only way i could break that cycle was by giving up drink completely.
    Not cutting down,knocking it on the head for several months at least.
    Its actually not that difficult,just say "tommorow,i'm not drinking" and stick to it.

The first few days drag but after a while you find you become more alert mentally,you suddenly desire to do things,mow the lawn,tidy the house..alll sorts.
    Next thing you know,the idea o greasy food or takeaways seems repugnat,2000 calories in a tray..disgusting.
    After two weeks,i swear you'll find it getting easy..you CAN go into pubs and just drink iced water..bring a book with you if you're by yourself..whatever.
    The thing is that drink slows you down and holds you back.
    It kills workouts,ruins diets and that can add to a feeling of helplesness leading to more binge eating and more weight gain.
    Thats where your knowledge of nutrition comes in..you know what you should be eating..start doing it..prepare your meal plans a day in advance,remind yourself that you're getting healthy and fatty,greasy foods are not what you want or need.
    Select a workout plan and there are thousands..start slowly,i lift like a mouse but i've progressed and its a good feeling.
    Progress
    with weights and weight loss is slow though..you read about losing 2kilos a week and all taht sort of stuff but the reality is that you wont lose much weight for six weeks and even then its imperceptable but it does happen and you can speed it up by doing cardio or tweaking your diet.
    If you are going to give up drink there can be no cheat meals and no shakes,eat little and often,you need to burn the fat off but not starve yourself,cheat meals are a step backwards and shakes are simply not necessary.
    Give up the booze completley and you'll be a differnet man in six months.
    Peace.

Thanks Man.Thats was a straight up honest post and I agree with you Drinking has been my downfall with trying to accomplish my fitness goals,food also to a certain extent but not as much as beer.I have decided to try and get some help with it as the one thing thats preventing me for progressing in life and not just in trying to lose weight.Peace to you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

If Degsy and Juan can harbour a peace deal, there is still hope for the middle east, and pretty much anything is possible.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thanks Man.Thats was a straight up honest post and I agree with you Drinking has been my downfall with trying to accomplish my fitness goals,food also to a certain extent but not as much as beer.I have decided to try and get some help with it as the one thing thats preventing me for progressing in life and not just in trying to lose weight.Peace to you too.

Right..so taht was two weeks ago...what have you been doing and what progress have you made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Degsy wrote: »
    Right..so taht was two weeks ago...what have you been doing and what progress have you made?

Stop hounding the man - he needs to do some more research first. It would be crazy to jump straight into weightloss without a degree in diet and nutrition first :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055568919

im starting back with this tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

im starting back with this tomorrow

Did ya keep the diet up even tho you couldn't exercise?

Hanley wrote: »
    Did ya keep the diet up even tho you couldn't exercise?

No

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No

Why?

I suppose the only excuse I can give is that im all or nothing and to be honest I have been taking the nothing approach for a long time this also also due tto a problem I have with drinking too much which I have taken steps to sort out.

Day 1

Today is day one of the program and its upper body workout

Here are my stats

Weight-286lbs
    Tanita scales bodyfat 44.5%(not sure how accurate this is)
    Waist around navel fully relaxed(50 inches)
    Bodyfat maximuscle calculator 29.9%(again not sure how accurate)

My bodyfat measurements could be off but whats important is that I track the trend and ensure that it goes down

Todays Plan

5.20 am woke up and had a strong cup of coffee

6.00 upperbody workout

CHEST

Flat Dbell press 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)16,18,20,22,20 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 8kg of Flat DB flyes

SHOULDERS

Seated Dbell press 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)10,12,14,16,14 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 4kg of side raises

BACK

Dumbell rows press 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)16,18,20,22,18 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 16kg of Db pullovers

TRICEPS

Db extension 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)14,16,18,20,18 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 4kg of lying tricep extension

BICEPS

Dumbell one arm preacher curls 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)6,8,10,12,10 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 12kg of concentration curls

All weights are for each hand except db pullover and db extensions

DIET

7.50 Myoplex nutrition shake

10.00 tub of lowfat cottage cheese and 2 lowfat low sugar yogurts

12.30 200g of lean ham mixed with cherry tomatoes,spinach and balsamic vinegar and an apple

3.30 Myoplex nutrition shake

6.30 200g salmon fillet cup of brown rice and broccoli

9.00 Myoplex nutrition shake

Day 2

Today was cardio and whats prescribed in the program is 20 minutes of intense interval cardio now before you scoff at the amount of cardio being too little let me tell you this workout is very intense.Its kinda like HIIT but its suited to be people of all fitness levels basically intensity is gauged by a scale of 1 to 10

1 would be best described as sleeping and 10 all out intense extreme effort the max basically

For this workout we start at level 5 which depending on your level of fitness it may be a walk or light jog, I like to put the incline of the treadmill to the max which is usually 15 degrees and do hill walking

So I start at a moderate pace at level 5 for for a 2 min warmup then I Increase the speed so its a level 6 do that for 1 minute increase speed again so its a level 7 for 1 minute increase again to level 8 for 1 minute and then level 9 for 1 minute once im finished level 9 I go back to the speed/intensity I was doing for level 6 and repeat the pattern 6,7,8,9 -3 more times

Once i get to the final level 9 of the last pattern I go for a high point which is a level 10 which is an all out effort when that minute is over I go back to level 5 for a minute to cool down and im done

during this workout my heartrate Goes from 140 to 170s range and im wrecked at the end

Meals for today are exactly as they were yesterday

• Advertisement

Day 3 lower body

It was a crap morning with the rain so I decided to stay in bed never mind though as I went to the gym after work.

Today was lower body and the same principles were applied I I did for upper body I trained quads hamstrings calves and abs

QUADS

Leg press 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)105,115,125,135,125 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 22kg each hand db squats after the last set of 12 on the leg press

HAMSRINGS

Bentover DB raise reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)16,18,20,22,20 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 5kg each hand db lunges for 12 reps each leg after the last set of 12 on the l
    Bent over DB Raise

CALVES

DB Raise 5 sets, reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)each hand 24,26,28,30,28 resting 1 minute inbetween sets and then going immediately into a super set of 12kg one leg raise after the last set of 12 on the leg press

ABS

Knee raise no weight used 12,10,8,6,12, reps and superset of floor crunch

DIET

7.50 Myoplex nutrition shake and 1 scoop of oats

10.00 tub of lowfat cottage cheese and 2 lowfat low sugar yogurts and 1 oarnge

12.30 200g of lean ham mixed with cherry tomatoes,spinach and balsamic vinegar and an apple

4.45 postworkout Myoplex nutrition shake

6.45 200g salmon fillet cup of baked potato and broccoli

9.00 Myoplex nutrition shake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Bentover DB raise reps 12,10,8,6,12, ,weights(kg)16,18,20,22,20

Well done man keep it up, just wonderin what this is /\above/\?

For hamstrings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Just wondering, after 3 days in a row, how are you feeling? Do you find energy levels are depleted or that it gets harder to keep going?

Hope it goes well for ya.

I am feeling great actually I do feel a little hungry in the mornings and I am probably eating a little less then I should be for my size but generally im am feeling great.

Db Bentover raise is kinda like a deadlift but with dumbells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I am feeling great actually I do feel a little hungry in the mornings and I am probably eating a little less then I should be for my size but generally im am feeling great.

Db Bentover raise is kinda like a deadlift but with dumbells

:confused: is it a Romanina Deadlift with DBs? You'd never throw up a link? im intrigued!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Come on, stop slacking off with the journal. I'm following this and really hoping you're going to blow all your critics away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

kazzer wrote: »
    Come on, stop slacking off with the journal. I'm following this and really hoping you're going to blow all your critics away!

A couple of days not posting in a journal does not a slacker make!!

Seriously, loads of people don't keep their logs updated on the actual day they're in the gym. Give the guy a break.

(Not aimed solely at you btw, there's been loads of similar comments!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Malteaser! wrote: »
    A couple of days not posting in a journal does not a slacker make!!

Seriously, loads of people don't keep their logs updated on the actual day they're in the gym. Give the guy a break.

(Not aimed solely at you btw, there's been loads of similar comments!!)

No you have me wrong, I'm one of the very few on this who wants to see him do well, hence: "I'm following this and really hoping you're going to blow all your critics away!" Trying to give him a bit of encouragement in a light hearted way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

*bump*

Did you keep this up? Any praise/criticism of the program?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

*bump*

Did you keep this up? Any praise/criticism of the program?

*prepares for slew of excuses*

Advertisement