Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney or Brisbane

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Im headin to Oz in November for the year

Will float around for a month holidaying, then look fora job

Was just wonderin, what city would people recommend to work for 6 months?

Sydney or Brisbane?

In terms of social life [clubs etc], things to do

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Just be weary that November is a bad time work wise...everything (in Brisbane anyway) shuts down over christmas and as the school holidays run until end of January, alot of people take January off so normal business/jobs available dont really come around until february.

Weather wise, both should be sweet...cant comment on Sydney but I'd imagine there is lot more to do there...Brisbane is small but not too small, there is plenty to do around the city with a varied nihgtlife (depending what your into)...

you have the Gold Coast and Sunshine coasts an hour North or South (which have plenty to keep you occupied)...Byron is a further hour south and there are plenty of places inland to discover...saying that when it starts to get cold you can always head further north to keep the good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thanks for the info

I'm not 100% set on Brisbane or Sydney, just dont know anywhere else really!

Anyone else know if the job situation from Nov-Feb is the same apart from Brisbane?

My first month over there will be a holiday, so if I went in Jan that might be handier

cheers!

Anyone else know if the job situation from Nov-Feb is the same apart from Brisbane?

I suppose I should add that I found the same thing in Perth, depends what you work on I suppose...the reason given in Brisbane was to do with the amount of government workers here but Perth in general was alot quieter for work anyway...fully dependant on industry you're in though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I don't think anyone can actually comment on work available in 6months time. Who knows how the GFC will work out.....

But saying that, Sydney is a great spot from Nov->Feb, that is when it is really buzzing, there is a great atmosphere around the place and lots of stuff happening.

Personally anyone who wants to go to sydney should come in those time frames, as the winter is much quieter (not always a bad thing)

I can't comment on next year, but the last few years the jobs and accommodation can be hard to come by around the popular areas (like bondi, coogee) as everyone flocks to the beach.

Jobs last summer were pretty tough to come by, but this may have been just an unlucky year.

But saying that, Sydney is a great spot from Nov->Feb, that is when it is really buzzing, there is a great atmosphere around the place and lots of stuff happening.

Would have to agree with this, my only regret is not getting to spend a few months in Sydney and Melbourne in Summer time...(and likewise far south of WA) but saying that everywhere is best between those months - during the colder, wetter months get as far north as possible

• Advertisement
Advertisement