Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub crawl in Dublin

Options
  • 07-05-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Trying to arrange a pub crawl in advance for a Monday night.
    PLaces close to Dublin, we cant go too far out,
    any suggestions on places that are open Monday, free in, are not over 21's and in a close vicinity to everywhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shuriken wrote: »
    Trying to arrange a pub crawl in advance for a Monday night.
    PLaces close to Dublin, we cant go too far out,
    any suggestions on places that are open Monday, free in, are not over 21's and in a close vicinity to everywhere else?

Here is a thread about a Luas Pub Crawl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156917

You could also check this out

http://www.dublinpubcrawl.net/

from this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055265097&referrerid=59211

And here's a thread on another forum

http://www.p45.net/boards/showthread.php?t=59597

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Do the Baggot Mile, start early though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Camden St/Wexford St maybe, start off at Shine, Solas, The Village, Whelans, The Palace, Ryans then over the road to Anseo and Flattery's.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Camden St/Wexford St maybe, start off at Shine, Solas, The Village, Whelans, The Palace, Ryans then over the road to Anseo and Flattery's.:D

Young man you know your pubs waaaay too well :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you forgot to add the lower deck gav;), then on to the gigs for brekkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You forgot the Cusack Stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shuriken wrote: »
    are not over 21's
    It's illegal for a pub to admit over 21's only. Once a person is 18 years old (all else being in order) they cannot be prohibited from entering a public house.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not a bad idea, but skip shine, solas, the village and the palace. Replace with Devitts, Cassidys, the bleeding horse and O'connells further up on South Richmond Street. Anseo can stay as it used to be Cons, and I guess you mean Flannerys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It's illegal for a pub to admit over 21's only. Once a person is 18 years old (all else being in order) they cannot be prohibited from entering a public house.

true. as long as a patron can prove they are over 18 they cant be refused entry based on age

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Young man you know your pubs waaaay too well :P

Tell me about it, 18 and a half and I'm well educated on my local pubs.;) WTF is with the name change, didn't know who you were for a min!?:D
    you forgot to add the lower deck gav;), then on to the gigs for brekkie

Lower Deck is too far up, but you'll get a great pint in there I tell ye and might even bump into myself or admiralofthefleet, although I haven't been there in a while. ;)
    You forgot the Cusack Stand!

I'm only one man, give me a break.:o

:D
    copacetic wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, but skip shine, solas, the village and the palace. Replace with Devitts, Cassidys, the bleeding horse and O'connells further up on South Richmond Street. Anseo can stay as it used to be Cons, and I guess you mean Flannerys?

Ye your plan is probably better, saying that combine mine, yours and admirals' Lower Deck suggestion and we've got the ultimate pub crawl.:cool: And ye I meant Flannerys not Flatterys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I'd start off in Rathmines in Roddy's then on down to the Portobello, maybe along the canal to The Barge and finally down Hardcore (Harcourt) Street to the bould Coppers!! (Maybe head down the lane to Flannery's first to make sure yer wasted enough to face Coppers)

Don't judge me, that route has been tried n tested by several qualified pissheads and is perfect for a messy bitta craic n banter kinda night.
    You just won't remember any of it ;)

*DON'T do the Baggot Mile unless you're 35 pretending to be 29, wearing a suit and trying to get off with yer man/wan from accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why are most posters assuming that the pub crawl should be on the far side of the Liffey? Sure most of the real pubs are on this side! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Why are most posters assuming that the pub crawl should be on the far side of the Liffey? Sure most of the real pubs are on this side! :)

well where is the proposal then??

I did a decent one from Quinns in drumcondra via dorset street, bolton street, capel street, over the bridge, up dame street, up georges street and ending on camden street one paddies day. Bit more walking but better variety of pubs and you have an incredible choice too, just pick them based roughly on even walking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Disco Bandit

the golden mile : bodkins on bolton st to quinns in drumcondra,

or the lap of trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd start off in Rathmines in Roddy's then on down to the Portobello, maybe along the canal to The Barge and finally down Hardcore (Harcourt) Street to the bould Coppers!! (Maybe head down the lane to Flannery's first to make sure yer wasted enough to face Coppers)

Don't judge me, that route has been tried n tested by several qualified pissheads and is perfect for a messy bitta craic n banter kinda night.

That sounds like an awful pub crawl. There's only 5 pubs there and there's a big distance between, not to mention each place you mentioned is a **** hole and a carbon copy of the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Can a licensee not refuse entry to anyone without giving a reason? Just interested as I'm sure that's the case in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres one i always thought would be a good idea to get the northside and southside in but only to be done on a nice day and start early. Start on either side of the liffey and go to every pub until you encounter a bridge, cross the bridge and continue in the same direction and go to every pub along the way and go to the other side when you encounter a bridge and repeat

I havent done it myself and think there may be a small chance of death from alcohol poisoning if you do the whole thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

*DON'T do the Baggot Mile unless you're 35 pretending to be 29, wearing a suit and trying to get off with yer man/wan from accounts

Baggot Mile is different class, however prepare for a messy end of night in Coppers or D2, where by this stage the suit jacket has been discarded lol :)

Done a Northside crawl once from the Goblet/Roundabout in Artane all the way into town, a bit of an experience the further into town you went......

Brgds
    Johnny

That sounds like an awful pub crawl. There's only 5 pubs there and there's a big distance between, not to mention each place you mentioned is a **** hole and a carbon copy of the next one.

Yeah in YOUR opinion dude. In fairness, I don't see you makin any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

copacetic wrote: »

+1 on this. much better pubs

• Advertisement

Yeah in YOUR opinion dude. In fairness, I don't see you makin any suggestions!

Any pub crawl that doesnt involve a 5 minute walk between each one is fine. If your starting in Rathmines go with Mother Reillys, Roddy bolands, Madisons, Graces, Toast, Rathmines Inn, Portabello,(cant remember the name of the one between these, looks real small on the outside, old mands pub) Bernard Shaw, Bleeding horse then decide if you want to go up camden street or harcourt street.

I'm not saying I like most of those pubs either, but there's a short distance between them and you'll have plenty of pints. If your going on a pub crawl I prefer it to be 10+ pubs and with the majority of them being pubs I never went to before. I dont know how excactly going to 5 pubs counts as a "crawl" either. Most people go to 3-4 pubs in a night anyway, so I'd cant how Bolands -> Portabello -> Barge -> coppers counts as a crawl.

I'm not saying I like most of these pubs either. If your going on a pub crawl I prefer it to be 10+ pubs I dont know how excactly going to 5 pubs counts as a "crawl" either. Most people go to 3-4 pubs in a night anyway, so I'd cant how Bolands -> Portabello -> Barge -> coppers counts as a crawl.

Are you always this much fun?

Are you always this much fun?

Well since your idea of fun is going to Roddy's, flannerys and coppers I'm obviously not as much fun as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Ugh, stay away from mother reillys. The guinness in there is terrible and the bar staff are really slow. Perhaps that was a once off, but I wont chance going back there again.
    If you're starting in rathmines go to Bolands first and steer clear of the Rathmines Inn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

A city centre one I did last year for the 12 pubs of christmas:
    O'Neills
    International Bar
    The Old Stand
    The Library Bar (Upstairs in the international Hotel)
    The Long Hall
    Hogans
    The Market Bar
    Sheehans
    Nearys
    McDaids
    Bruxelles (downstairs in the heavy metal bit!)
    John Keohes
    Davey Byrnes

There's actually 13 there cos the International Hotel was closed. They're all here. I measured it out, it's about 1km long. I did it during the day, started at 4pm, so none of the pubs were full. They're all free in, maybe the bouncers at Hogans will be a bit strict, but on a monday night you'll be grand. There's also an abrakebabra on Sth Annes Street near the end! And a Taxi rank on Dawson street, so handy for everyone to get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly30

I went to Flannery's last night with a friend who is 18 and we were both stone cold sober cos I had just driven up from home! It was his first time out in Dublin and I said we'd go to Flannery's! He got asked for ID and he had his passport and the bouncer said (after seieng what age he was) "sorry, it's over 20's only". Another person i know had 2 girls with him and one was 19 and one was 20 and they were told it was "over 21 only".....no point in arguing with dublin bouncers either, but can they do that and change the age depending on what is on someone's ID just cos they don't want them in there? I was thinking of ringing them, but is there a point???? They don't care about one person cos they're packed every night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

true. as long as a patron can prove they are over 18 they cant be refused entry based on age

This is misinformation. It is not illegal. Section 25 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 allows a licence holder to set a minimum age for the provision of alcohol in their premises.
    (4) If—

(a) the holder of a licence or other authorisation which permits the sale of intoxicating liquor adopts a policy of refusing to supply intoxicating liquor to any person below a specified age which exceeds 18 years,

(b) a notice setting out the policy is displayed in a conspicuous place in or on the exterior of the premises, and

(c) the policy is implemented in good faith,

a refusal to serve intoxicating liquor to such a person shall not constitute discrimination on the age ground.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0031/sec0025.html
    http://www.hayes-solicitors.ie/news/news_52_2003_December_17.htm

Discrimination on other grounds e.g. race or sexual orientation is not permitted and licence holders can lose their licence if found guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly30

yes, but no where outside Flannery's does it say that the age limit is 20/21 etc... My point is that they were making it up according as they went along...cos my friend was 18 it was 20, and those other girls were 20 so they changed it to 21....surely this can;t be right....not that anuthing could be done anyway as I'm sure they'd deny it!

Advertisement