Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Restaurants

Options
  • 07-05-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Visiting Cork City next weekend and was wondering could anyone reccomend one or two restaurants?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

philipm wrote: »
    Visiting Cork City next weekend and was wondering could anyone reccomend one or two restaurants?

Thanks

A new one we went to recently was "Kudos" in the Clarion, gorgeous. It's Thai and Asian food, fantastically priced and the food is divine! My new favourite restaurant in the city.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

What type of food are ya after?

www.menupages.ie is a good place to look for reviews.

Vinta81 wrote: »
    A new one we went to recently was "Kudos" in the Clarion, gorgeous. It's Thai and Asian food, fantastically priced and the food is divine! My new favourite restaurant in the city.

I'll second that :)
    Was there on sunday for lunch and food was really tasty and well priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

Mexican, Thai if I am honest I would eat any type. Just trying to make the most of my few days.

I am staying in the Clarion, so thanks for the Kudos recommendation. The one in Limerick is very good aswell.

philipm wrote: »
    Mexican, Thai if I am honest I would eat any type. Just trying to make the most of my few days.

I am staying in the Clarion, so thanks for the Kudos recommendation. The one in Limerick is very good aswell.

Mexican - Cafe Mexicana, down a side street called Carey's Lane just off Patrick St. - wicked! We're pretty regular diners there lol.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help!

I have it sorted now, Kudos on the Friday and Cafe Mexicana on Saturday!:cool:

Thanks again

Very welcome! Let me know how you find them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Eco in Douglas village is about 5mins from city centre and well worth the trip. Food is yum, huge portions and really good value. Pastas/stirfrys/currys/burgers Booking advised!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

namaimo wrote: »
    Eco in Douglas village is about 5mins from city centre and well worth the trip. Food is yum, huge portions and really good value. Pastas/stirfrys/currys/burgers Booking advised!
    Bit to cramped in there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Vinta81 wrote: »

That's the hotel on South Mall ye? Thai food....yummy!

• Advertisement

Nope, it's on Lapps Quay, just near the end of south mall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bill-e wrote: »
    Bit to cramped in there for me.

you're right there, place is an over-heated match box with only average food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Don't go to Cafe Mexicana. I can never get the love affair that some people have with it. I think its pretty atrocious in a very cramped atmosphere. What they term Mexican food can also not be further from the truth.

Try Isaacs on McCurtain Street or Liberty Grill on Washington Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

You could try the Boardwalk next door to the Clarion. Great food & service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

D-Generate wrote: »
    Don't go to Cafe Mexicana. I can never get the love affair that some people have with it. I think its pretty atrocious in a very cramped atmosphere. What they term Mexican food can also not be further from the truth.

Try Isaacs on McCurtain Street or Liberty Grill on Washington Street.

I'd second that.

Cafe Mexicana is awful. Maybe it used to be ok before.
    Eco terrible too.

Isaacs is quality, as is Greene's behind it.
    Kudos is good.
    Cornmarket place is supposed to be good.
    Cafe Bar Deli is decent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GardenerGirl

The Boardwalk is very good food. But is pricey and I found the service really really slow. They seemed to go out of their way to avoid even looking in our direction when we were there which meant us having to get our own menus and not being able to get a second bottle of wine as there was just no one to ask. Shame though as the food (when it arrived) was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Kudos is appalling, I would never go there again. Les Gourmandises is the best in the city in my opinion. Some other good evening options are Jacobs on the Mall and Star Anise.

For lunch, you could try upstairs in the English Market, or the cafe in the Crawford Gallery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mik_da_man wrote: »
    www.menupages.ie is a good place to look for reviews.
    No it isn't.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=menupages+site%3Aboards.ie

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

you're right there, place is an over-heated match box with only average food.

The g/friend loves it (Ecos that is) and we have been there 3 times. I am not fussed TBH...a bit like Scuzzys...overrated.

Now she is English and this is French cuisine at its best compared to the tripe you get in most places in England so her standards are very very low...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Scien wrote: »
    How i long for a trip to my favourite; 'Amicus'. Its delicious, reasonable, stylish, friendly and in a great location.

:(

Seconded, I've always enjoyed Amicus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Great vegetarian place (best in Ireland apparently) out by the college on Washington Street. Cafe Paradiso. Go for lunch its cheaper than in the evening. Its very different and very good. Not at all what you would expect a vegetarian place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I didn't hear such great reports about The Boardwalk. My recommendation would be Scoozis or Amicus for middle of the road but good restauraants with a bit of atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

IMHO Cafe Paradiso is the most hyped thing since Jordan's cleavage.
    And like dating a woman with a substantial decolletage,
    with Cafe Paradiso, the novelty soons wears off and only
    an empty feeling remains. That'd be your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

overmantle wrote: »
    I didn't hear such great reports about The Boardwalk. My recommendation would be Scoozis or Amicus for middle of the road but good restauraants with a bit of atmosphere.

Scoozis is not one I would recommend for a meal out, it's more of a grab n' go kind of place. Nothing special really.
    Amicus always leaves me let down as a venue, the food is OK but they just pack in the punters there. The seating arrangement in the Douglas one is a bit better than Paul St one. It would not give you the same sense of occasion as going to the likes of Isaacs for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Did anyone mention The Ivory Tower? Bit pricey, but a good experience. Here's a review I did of it earlier this year:

http://pauljkiernan.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/ivory_tower/

Cafe Mexicana is rubbish. I completely agree that Ecos is too cramped as well. Lose a table or two, guys!

Thank you all.

On foot of your reccomendations, I am unable to make my Café Mexicana Reservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭geffkane

Hillbillies on the Parade. open late too. Dress to impress

Thank you all for your reccomendations an excellent weekend was had by all, Cork was brilliant!

Summary of week gastromic weekend:

Friday, Kudos Restaurant in the Clarion:

I was very dissapointed and having eaten and stayed in the Clarion in Limerick felt let down big time. :(

Saturday Lunch, Scuzzi's: Very nice food and the highlight was the Mars Bar Cheesecake, we bet queue thankfully but I have never seen anything like it great to see in these depressing times:)

Saturday Night Market Lane: I loved this place and the food, atmosphere and service was brilliant I would highly reccomend this place.:D

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear that most of it went well.
    Sorry to hear about Kudos though - I've always got great food there

Advertisement