Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recession Skincare

• 07-05-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Joe's fanclub

Okay so I'm about to go buy a new cleanser toner and moisturiser from clinique, cleanser and toner fairly reasonable, but nearly fifty euro for the moisturiser! Any suggestions for a cheaper moisturiser for seriously dry skin?

Thanks ladies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

Aldi's moisturiser by Siana is amazing. It is anti ageing and is meant to be better than CREME DE LA MER!! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I have to say that I have tried the Aldi moisturiser and found it extremly greasy and oily! I have semi dry skin but it did nothing for it really other than make it greasy ( normally my skin is NEVER like this so I was surprised)

I use Oil of Olay normal or combination skin moisturiser now and its really great, nice and light and makes my skin really soft. Its about €7 so its not bad! Anything really cheap isnt going to do your skin any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Try Simple? I liked their stuff, no perfumes or anything, gentle on sensitive skin. Not exactly sure how much it costs, not much anyway! Respectable brand too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

E45 cream.

Seriously.

I have a severe case of combo skin-- dry and prone to breakouts at the same time-- and E45 cream moisturises and doesn't give me breakouts.

Don't know how, don't know why, but it doesn't take much, lasts an age, and is cheaper than a lot of the actual face moisturising products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I went back to Simple and Garnier and my skin has never looked better. All these fancy creams were only making me break out.

• Advertisement

The basic Oil of Olay double action night cream is the stuff of legend.

I dont think clinque toner is a thing that would be good for dry skin.

I have to say that I have tried the Aldi moisturiser and found it extremly greasy and oily! I have semi dry skin but it did nothing for it really other than make it greasy ( normally my skin is NEVER like this so I was surprised)

I tried day and night Aldi creams and day version was extremely greasy too, while night cream was fine, actually lighter than day cream (unusual). Maybe they packed some filters in the day version? They make creams heavy.

Anyway...

They were making me break out too so I'm using them as my hand cream now. And there must be something mighty good in them indeed because my hands are just great now - moisturised, nourished, very smooth and healthy looking skin. Much better effect than ANY dedicated hand cream and lotion I had, including big names. Also works miracles on elbows!

There's your recession tip then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah I've recently returned to my good old Simple moisturiser and E45 for when my skin is being extra dry. Cheap and cheerful. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

+ 1 for the aldi day cream, its is brilliant. absolutely no difference between that the clarins one i used to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

herya wrote: »
    I tried day and night Aldi creams and day version was extremely greasy too, while night cream was fine, actually lighter than day cream (unusual). Maybe they packed some filters in the day version? They make creams heavy.

Anyway...

They were making me break out too so I'm using them as my hand cream now. And there must be something mighty good in them indeed because my hands are just great now - moisturised, nourished, very smooth and healthy looking skin. Much better effect than ANY dedicated hand cream and lotion I had, including big names. Also works miracles on elbows!

There's your recession tip then :)

You ladies must have very oily skins so, because I have combination skin and find it FABULOUS. Perhaps you should use a stronger cleanser? I don't think its a good sign if you find the aldi siana cremè greasy. x x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ibbie

Any of the Pond's skincare range I find are good and really cheap especially the 'cold cream cleanser' great for removing make-up. I also find the generic nivea moisturiser really good

Lady Luck wrote: »
    You ladies must have very oily skins so, because I have combination skin and find it FABULOUS. Perhaps you should use a stronger cleanser? I don't think its a good sign if you find the aldi siana cremè greasy. x x

Surprisingly my skin is not that oily (just combination, on the light side), it's just that for some reason it does not tolerate any creams, and I mean any, even those designed for combination skin. Even with stronger cleansers, including green clay stuff which feels really strong. There must be some common cream ingredient my skin doesn't like. Now I switched to light lotions or gels and actually most reliable lotions and gels are in the cheaper range.

Okay so I'm about to go buy a new cleanser toner and moisturiser from clinique, cleanser and toner fairly reasonable, but nearly fifty euro for the moisturiser! Any suggestions for a cheaper moisturiser for seriously dry skin?

Thanks ladies :)

Should you be using toner on dry skin?
    The pond's cold cream cleanser is very good and won't leave your skin dry
    I also swear by nivea's oil free moisturiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Another vote for Aldi cream here too. It has a lovely light and refreshing consistency but is very moisturizing too.Also at under €3 you afford to take the hit if it doesn't suit you.Buying online is a good idea if you already have a favourite brand.You can make some fantastic savings.I like http://www.directcosmetics.com.Their bargains can change regularly so I don't know what is good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Escapism

I changed to No.7 products for a while but I use Oil of Olay aswell because I heard (now I don't know if this is correct but) you should vary between a couple of products because you're skin gets so used to one product that if you then move to another you will have a break out ... so by using a couple of different ones you avoid this. I find both No. 7 and Olay to be great to be honest and I used to have 'bad skin' and now I rarely have a pimple! good luck and p.s. i'm TOTALLY gonna try that Aldo cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Lady Luck wrote: »

Not at all, I NEVER have oily skin which I already said, when I used the Aldi moisturiser tho I did so it obviously didnt suit my skin type. The only reason I found it greasy is because it is, your skin must be way dryer than mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Not at all, I NEVER have oily skin which I already said, when I used the Aldi moisturiser tho I did so it obviously didnt suit my skin type. The only reason I found it greasy is because it is, your skin must be way dryer than mine!

I tried the aldi moisturiser too and didnt really like it!:eek: i actually have quite dry skin and it made my skin really greasy too!must be something in it!!i used the rest of the cream as hand cream and that worked grand but defo way to oily for my face!! I find Simple or Olay really good for dry skin anyway!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

@OP, If you're using Clinique 3step and it is working for you I see little point in changing tbh.

The 3 step, if it works for you is fantastic and you really won't get better than it if you are successful with it.

Why not buy the smaller size of the moisturiser instead, I think it's around €24 for 50ml.

Then wait til you know somebody going to the US or Canada and get them to pick you some up while they're over there. Seriously, it is so cheap there....less than €50 for the ENTIRE three steps, and that would include a 400ml size toner.

We are so being ripped off over here:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I love the original "nivea creme" in the blue pot, my skin is very sensitive and gets so dry in this weather, I just put on a load of this before bed! Also I love Vichy moisturisers they are pretty reasonably priced as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I find Vichy are very good. I know they're more mid-range, with moisturisers about €17, but still €30 cheaper than Clinique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi, another fan of the aldi day and night cream here, although I am using Johsons 24 hour cream, from a set also including a facial wash, lip balm, eye make up remover which I got from Amazon for £5. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnsons-Gift-of-Everyday-Freshness/dp/B002LZUENK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1263677055&sr=8-4. Its a lovely cream, think I'll stock up on a couple more:)

Also HIGHLY recommend Rose water as a toner/freshener for the face. Its about a fiver for a big 500ml bottle from the chemist and lovely, haven't had a breakout since I started using it.

Advertisement