Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can an irish man join the british police force?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just something that i can't seem to find an answer to, can an irish man join the british police force?now i know the whole commonwealth citizen and an irish man can but i rang a police station in england and he put me through to some recruiter and he told me no, even doh on various websites it says yes, also some websites say yes but you have to live in united kingdom for at least 3yrs but ive met people who have a friend of a friend who knows a man who has a dog that their friend joined directly from ireland, i've even met a fella at a house party that said he got in, even had his interview in the british embassy but didn't take it because his gf at the time didn't want him to go to the met in london, also the 3yr thing, how come that doesn't apply to the psni?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to correct forum.

mercucio
    Please take the time to read forum Charters before you post. They explain what each forum is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i'd like to see the replys to this so could you tell me what is the forum you moved it to please

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mercucio

i'm afraid this is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think once you're an EU citizen or have equivalent employment and residence rights you should be in a position to apply. I don't know about the residence criteria ( 3 years or something like it ) but I'm quite confident that you don't have to be a local to be able to apply and sit the entrance exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I know two people from my area who applied from ireland and went over. They are now fully fledged cops. They went over because the Irish crowd wouldn't take them. The only hurdle they had was that they needed to have a bank AC setup in the uk before they started training. But from what I hear its a better setup than over here and they really look after you, both lads were given station accommodation for as long as needed etc. Got as far as the interview myself but decided not to go further with it at the time. Stupid me !

• Advertisement

Got as far as the interview myself but decided not to go further with it at the time. Stupid me ![/quote]

but how did you apply and how did you go through the whole process?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

done it online at the time, one hell of a long application form though, took about 1 hour to fill out!!!

done it online at the time, one hell of a long application form though, took about 1 hour to fill out!!!

what website is this???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

mercucio wrote: »
    Just something that i can't seem to find an answer to, can an irish man join the british police force?now i know the whole commonwealth citizen and an irish man can but i rang a police station in england and he put me through to some recruiter and he told me no, even doh on various websites it says yes, also some websites say yes but you have to live in united kingdom for at least 3yrs but ive met people who have a friend of a friend who knows a man who has a dog that their friend joined directly from ireland, i've even met a fella at a house party that said he got in, even had his interview in the british embassy but didn't take it because his gf at the time didn't want him to go to the met in london, also the 3yr thing, how come that doesn't apply to the psni?

The answer is yes

The answer is yes

but how do you know?

• Advertisement

Because been there, done that, worn the t-shirt.

I applied back in 1999 and was accepted in 2000, moved over from Dublin and I was not resident in UK.

I have relations in UK so they assisted with bank account set-up.

So you need to contact the recruitment section of UK Police force which may be recruiting and they will confirm same.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 del79

just a question to 3 year residency for uk forces. i was curious to know if it is a strict requirement or is it at the discression of each indivudal force. any info appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

I can only speak of the Met, but I think the 3 year residency is still a must. Also, someone mentioned above about getting section house accomodation. I did that when I went over 8 years ago but they're looking at closing them down so don't rely on that. Also, do some research into which service you're thinking of as they may have a long wait for applications and may try and convince you to go down the PCSO route first.

The met has a dedicated recruitment team... contact them, they should be able to give you all the answers regarding the inital application..

del79 wrote: »
    just a question to 3 year residency for uk forces. i was curious to know if it is a strict requirement or is it at the discression of each indivudal force. any info appreciated.

There was no 3 year resident rule when I joined British Transport Police in 2000.

I am not sure what the rule is now.

I stayed in a section house owned by the City of london police in Barbican.

Advertisement