Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Shampoo,what one to get and where to get it?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Having some trouble finding some locally,(Kildare)just seems to be general for kitten/puppy etc,can anyone recommend a brand for good quality and price,and of course availabillity.

I found what seems to be a good one "Hartz" which i know off but it is on Ebay USA,good price though,i am waiting on a price for P&P.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi Greg, I know Atlantic and Woodies do a brand called Sheen-um, its around €17 per bottle.

I taught that was too expensive but I've heard its very good so I might still buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Good luck to you trying to wash a cat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmanning

the price you quoted for sheen-um shampoo is very high i buy that one from my local pet shop and its only €13.00
    that can be used on cats it very good

Amberjack wrote: »

It can be done as long as you don't drench the cat with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Do you show your cat?
    Why would you want to wash him? They wash themselves....
    Seriously, I'm very curious about this.... I've only washed kittens, 2 particular ones that I hand reared- they didn't have a mother so shat all over themselves a few times a day and had to be washed....
    Is your cat having accidents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

PCros wrote: »
    Hi Greg, I know Atlantic and Woodies do a brand called Sheen-um, its around €17 per bottle.

I taught that was too expensive but I've heard its very good so I might still buy it.

I thought of that and rang Woodies this morning in Newbridge and they have no specific Cat shampoo on their system and i tried Atlantic yesterday but found it was all dog related,which obviously the market is there for as i can`t imagine much cat washing going on :).

Local Pet supplier recommened wipes which doesn`t sound all that bad considering it is mainly her backside that needs the random touch ups:eek:.

She also likes the fake coals on the gas fire,for Gods sake!

"Hartz® ADVANCED CARE™ 3 in 1™ Foaming Shampoo for Cats" is the one on Ebay,priced at E3.00.

Just for the inital wash then hopefully once a month thereafter.

The little critter is a 6 month old Persian, who usually comes in white :D.

I must keep an eye out for that Sheen-um,but it is a bit pricey at E17.

puss 009 (Medium).jpg

puss 012 (Medium).jpg

Do you show your cat?
    Why would you want to wash him? They wash themselves....
    Seriously, I'm very curious about this.... I've only washed kittens, 2 particular ones that I hand reared- they didn't have a mother so shat all over themselves a few times a day and had to be washed....
    Is your cat having accidents?

No i don`t and i have no intentions of shows etc.
    It`s just for hygiene purposes mainly as said the rear and paws.
    It could also help against matting of her fur which requires daily brushing.
    She is good at self cleaning just fails at the hard to reach spots sometimes :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

OMG what a beautiful cat!!!
    Wipes sound like a good idea.... Dettol do good ones (only joking!)
    What about baby wipes- would they be gentle enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kitty_mom

you have such a beautiful cat. I wash my cats once a month as well. It makes their hair softer :).. I usually buy johnson & johnson kitten&puppy shampoo in pet store which are about 6E.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Amberjack wrote: »

I still have the scars to show for the last time I tried to wash mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

PCros wrote: »
    It can be done as long as you don't drench the cat with water.

I think that may have been my problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi OP. I find that the cat wipes work really well, they don't bother the cat at all.
    I also occassionally use dry shampoo on mine. It's just a powder you rub into their fur. I think Hagen did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Smartgroom-Rinse-Shampoo-200ml/dp/B000YKUJQQ

I got this one in a pet shop up north last week and found it good. It foams up when you pump it from the bottle and then you just wipe the cat down with a damp face cloth so no rinsing required.

(I would recommend the heavy duty rubber gloves for a good grip and to avoid getting your hands/arms shredded)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Very very brave people here.

The last time I had to wash our cat was because of fleas.

I managed to get Elvis in the bathrom, and turned on the shower. In a panic, Elvis retracted, up my arm, onto my back. With full claw support. Had to get hubby to pluck him off, then tried to proceed wetting his fur. That left a permanent scar on my shoulder. He tried to climb the walls of the shower, knocked the shower head out of my hand, flooded the bathroom, distributed water and foam everywhere, scratched me twice, bit me once, and gave me the evil stare for about 3 weeks after. That is the short version. The long version includes A LOT more agony, cursing, mopping, pleading, blood, sweat, and the odd tear.

They DO look funny when they're wet, though.

Yeah I think the best way is to put them in the sink or a basin and hand drip water over them. Thats what I do and I'm a new cat owner.

I think putting them in the bath and pointing a shower head at them is going to freak them out, to them its like us getting hosed down by a fire engine.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Check out this link for pics of some poor little mites being washed. They all look so sorry for themselves!:D

http://rippin-kitten.blogspot.com/2007/02/washing-cat.html

LOL at the instructions for washing cats at the bottom of page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmanning

Gregsor wrote: »
    I thought of that and rang Woodies this morning in Newbridge and they have no specific Cat shampoo on their system and i tried Atlantic yesterday but found it was all dog related,which obviously the market is there for as i can`t imagine much cat washing going on :).

I must keep an eye out for that Sheen-um,but it is a bit pricey at E17.

had a look at my bottle it is dog related but it can be used on cats too
    and the price woodies is selling it for is mad i buy it for €13.00 in the pet shop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you have something like a cake cooling rack, try putting that in the bottom of whatever you're washing the cat in and putting the cat on it. They don't like to be in water, but for a condition requiring a thorough wash you can get them quite wet if the water runs off and away and doesn't start pooling up around them. Also don't use anything that makes noise. For very nervous washing, I fill a large receptacle with warm water and get myself a jug. Then put the cat, on a cake rack (I know you think I'm mental) in the bottom of the shower tray. Use the jug to ladel warm water out of the holding receptacle, and over the cat.

Do they like it?

No, of course they don't. But it might be easier than trying to drop a cat in the bath (which, if you try it, you'll see creates Stretcho, the amazing six foot long cat who can cling to the edges of the bath with all four paws!)

For spot washing, use a sponge. For a while I had to sryinge a greasy antibiotic medication into my cat's ear when he had an infection. The result was that one side of his head ended up spiky and greasy and he just couldn't clean it himself. Into the bathroom we went, and I sat him on a towel on the floor. I put the tiniest amount of shampoo onto a sponge, gently scruffed him and worked up froth on the sponge before using it to clean his head and neck. Then I rinsed the sponge and used the dripping wet sponge to thoroughly rinse the area. He wasn't crazy about it, but the wet sponge was far less scary than a bath of water or the shower head would have been. Most conditions can be solved with a spot-wash, and a sponge is a great tool because you can get them really wet without them noticing.

You yourself will, however, end up wetter than the cat, regardless of the method you use, and the bathroom will be a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gumballz

Gregsor wrote: »
    411.jpgHaving some trouble finding some locally,(Kildare)just seems to be general for kitten/puppy etc,can anyone recommend a brand for good quality and price,and of course availabillity.

I found what seems to be a good one "Hartz" which i know off but it is on Ebay USA,good price though,i am waiting on a price for P&P.

Thanks.

You can buy one in ebay.

Thanks alot guy`s,loads of information there and some good laughs too :).

I sourced a bottle in a local pet shop,it`s called "Four Paws Magic Coat",tearless shampoo with Protein & Lanolin for cats and kittens,E7.50 for 355ml/12 fl oz,pretty good stuff and it`s American.

She got her wash yesterday,took her about 3 hours to come round to her playful self again,but she is gleaming today!

Job done :D.

Oh and the Hartz one on Ebay was $12.99 p&p,not worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement