Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collared Dove abandoned nest just before midday

• 07-05-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Just notice that my collared dove who was nesting on my balcony has abandoned her nest within the last 2 hours. She was sitting on it before midday as I had checked from the window. When I looked out around 12.30 she had left. Thought she would be back within a few minutes but she came back with her partner to eat some food from the feeder and took off again.

It has been 17 days since the egg was laid and it should have hatched by now so I guess she has just got sick of waiting. I was so looking forward to seeing it hatch. Never thought it would not be successful as last year everything went perfect for her :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The incubation is usually 14 to 16 days so 17 days is not excessive. I'd be more concerned at there being a single egg, as they usually lay between 2 and 5 eggs. A failed egg is not unusual at all but having only laid one is this pair's real problem. It sounds like an inexperienced pair but yet you had them nesting last year as well. How many eggs last year?
    Was only the female incubating - as normally both share the duties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The incubation is usually 14 to 16 days so 17 days is not excessive. I'd be more concerned at there being a single egg, as they usually lay between 2 and 5 eggs. A failed egg is not unusual at all but having only laid one is this pair's real problem. It sounds like an inexperienced pair but yet you had them nesting last year as well. How many eggs last year?
    Was only the female incubating - as normally both share the duties?

Edgar Quick Cranberry: we had 2 eggs last year and both hatched successfully. I had not been watching the nest as closely this year however they had been taking turns on the nest. I had noticed this morning that the dove that was sitting on the nest was calling to the other one but it never came to do it's duty :D However since the nest has been abandoned they have both been back on the balcony cooing as normal.It's very disappointing to see the egg in the nest.

Heres the link to last years story!
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1654.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Srameen - I never heard of a Collared Dove laying more than two eggs and if they laid five I can't see how their usual half dozen twig nest would possibly contain them. :)

Well 2 to 5 is the accepted norm. I can't change that.;)

I agree the nest is fragile looking but it works for them!

Sundew: The good news is that the pair are both alive. The egg is now obviously abandoned and, while that seems a pity, they will undoubtedly have a second clutch now. They may not use the same nest for the second clutch. A dud egg is not unusual and it happens. They abandonded the egg so as not to waste any further energy incubating an egg that will not produce a chick and to allow themselves time for the second clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I agree the nest is fragile looking but it works for them!

Sundew: The good news is that the pair are both alive. The egg is now obviously abandoned and, while that seems a pity, they will undoubtedly have a second clutch now. They may not use the same nest for the second clutch. A dud egg is not unusual and it happens. They abandonded the egg so as not to waste any further energy incubating an egg that will not produce a chick and to allow themselves time for the second clutch.

Edgar Quick Cranberry - we are both singing off the same hymn sheet in terms of our interest in nature but I must disagree re: clutch size - 2 eggs is the accepted norm for most pigeons and doves see google entries here -
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=collared+dove+clutch+size&meta=&aq=f&oq=

However, I speak mainly from my own experience as an egg collector back in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Once again, I must emphasise that egg collecting is illegal as well as being immoral but I was a young teenager back then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a few sources stating 2 eggs and usually 2 broods, but the AA Book of Birds says occasionally up to 5 broods.

It's not worth falling out over:D Web sites can give any results we like.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/collareddove.htm

I've seen many nests with 3 and 4 eggs. I've rung clutches of 3 or more. Nature doesn't conform to generalities but I rarely saw a nest of 1 collared dove egg.

As for clutches, there can indeed be up to 5 in a year but rare in our climate. 2 to 3 is more common.

Yes I believe there do nest a few times a year. Eric Dempsey did say to me last year that they lay between 1 and 2 eggs. perhaps if they had built a roomier nest they might have managed to fit in more but the one they just abandoned was a tight squeeze :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546354

As they nested last July/Aug I believe they will build again later in the year. I've taken the egg out of the nest. Should I open it or should I display it?

Sundew wrote: »
    Should I open it or should I display it?

The egg?

I'd just throw it away. You can "blow" and varnish it if you want to keep it but it's not a rare egg or anything like that.

Too late scrameen. My silly hubby put it in his pocket.

Guess what happened next?????? :o:o:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement