Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL down?

Options
  • 07-05-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having problems with their connection in the west of the city centre? Posting this from my phone. Grrrr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm still using the 3pay-as-you-go (waiting for BT broadband) because NTL are clueless and I'd rather have none than have to rely on them but I rang a mate there and his is ok. He's in the Salthill area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Cheers for that. It's back here now too. Thankfully don't get much downtime but its damn annoying when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good to hear its back up, nothing worse than when its down. We changed to BT when we were living in Salthill and found their service unbelievably good. The one time we had a problem BT customer care were brilliant, had it sorted pronto and very friendly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Funny thing, my parents are on BT but i'm with NTL, gotta say I prefer NTL due to their user friendliness. NTL, unlike BT, warn you if you have gone way over your "cap"..and just to note that unlike BT, NTL don't really have any cap at all...tis great.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Mactard wrote: »
    Funny thing, my parents are on BT but i'm with NTL, gotta say I prefer NTL due to their user friendliness. NTL, unlike BT, warn you if you have gone way over your "cap"..and just to note that unlike BT, NTL don't really have any cap at all...tis great.

That is some pretty misleading information you got there, only recently there has been a spate of people being bumped onto higher ( and more expensive) connections due to exceeding their caps.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

helios12 wrote: »
    That is some pretty misleading information you got there, only recently there has been a spate of people being bumped onto higher ( and more expensive) connections due to exceeding their caps.

What happens is if you head way way over your "cap" you get a letter from NTL saying so, after that letter if you continue going way way over your "cap" NTL will automatically bump you up to the next price plan. (going way way over the "cap" would be 50-60gb extra a month). I think it is worth noting that NTL do not charge you extra if you do exceed your set "cap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

NTL working fine here in city centre. I used to use the 3 modem thing. Worst connection and slower than dial up. So coming from that NTl seems great!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

We never got a letter until we were told of the forced upgrade(this was the case with others I have spoken to also), it would not have been a big deal if the connection was still almost as bad for gaming. NTL are affordable and perfectly fine for regular internet use but so far, out of the three houses I have lived at in Galway, it has been horrible for Xbox Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

All last week was terrible. It was disconnecting me every 10 minutes one night last week.:mad:

Advertisement